• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

11.5 inch upper question

kcshooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Kansas City
I live in missouri and im looking to get a 11.5 inch upper for my ar and ive been searching on google and cant get an answer im happy with. My question is do you need a license to own a 11.5 inch upper reciever in Missouri

Re: 11.5 inch upper question

You will need to register the LOWER on the AR-15 as an SBR. There are several ways to do this but the first step should be to do a little legal research in your state. I would find a good Class III dealer in your area and he should be able to help you.

If you want a SBR (less than 16") you need a registered lower. You can go the form 1 route, and get it engraved. Once you have the Stamp, build away. The other route is buy an already registered lower from your Class III dealer, and submit a form 4, then build away once you recieve your stamp.

Otherwise, if you have an upper that is shorter than 16" without a registered lower, your violating NFA.

Also check your particular state's law as well, a good class III dealer can help you with it.

The 1st thing that you will need to do if you want to be in possession of a Class 3 NFA weapon in the state of Missouri is to get your Curio and Relics license (C&R FFL).
After you have received your C&R you can progress forward as advised above by the others.
AR15.com has a lot of information about what you are wanting to do. Under "Armory" there is a "NFA/Class 3" section with a few different categories.