• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1426 yard deer

Re: 1426 yard deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jheat308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was bad ass. <span style="color: #CC0000">I'm going for a 500 yard head shot </span>on one of my doe tags. Will post vid too if I get it. </div></div>

I went back and read a few posts and cant understand why a hunter cant take out his accuracy frustrations on steel and not deer jaws.I shoot pretty good at 500 yards but the wind still beats me to ,but then I appreciate that and stay sensible,ethical and with respect which means no silly shots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jheat308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was bad ass. <span style="color: #CC0000">I'm going for a 500 yard head shot </span>on one of my doe tags. Will post vid too if I get it. </div></div>

I went back and read a few posts and cant understand why a hunter cant take out his accuracy frustrations on steel and not deer jaws.I shoot pretty good at 500 yards but the wind still beats me to ,but then I appreciate that and stay sensible,ethical and with respect which means no silly shots </div></div>

Walter Mitty

What about the poor prarie dogs? They all look so frightened. I have even some missing legs.

Who will donate to the plight of the poor prarie dogs?

Only $18.00 a month can save up to 5 prarie dogs.

(That is if I can get enough of you bleeding hearts to donate).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guided that area for 8 yrs? Shoot there often and didn't scout your game in advance? No Way! I'll throw the flag right there! </div></div>

The OP didn't state he had guided this area for 8 years. He was talking about something else completely:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A precision LR shot has more chance of <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> wounding a deer than most of the nuff nuff's hunting the bush in your Kiamanawa and Kaweka ranges. They shoot at running deer and think nothing of it. I should know, I guided there for 8 years.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So as a hunter you deliberately set up to take a shot at that distance from the get go? To many variables were way outside your control. </div></div>

I would say having pictures of your rig set up an hour before the shot was taken demonstrates how prepared the OP was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of the rifle set up on the ridge an hour or so before the shot.
hind2.jpg

</div></div>

Again, great shot Wadcutter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jheat308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was bad ass. I'm going for a 500 yard head shot on one of my doe tags. Will post vid too if I get it. </div></div>

People, hunting is about making an ethical kill! Why try a 500 yard head shot! Or for that matter a 1426 yard shot. I hardly ever take a shot over 300 yards. Most I will defiantly keep under 200. Elk and game in the mountains I can understand 400-500 yard shots with the right caliber, but I still wouldn't do it. If you cant get within 300 yards your not hunting, your target shooting at live animals. At these long distances you risk wounding the animal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jheat308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was bad ass. I'm going for a 500 yard head shot on one of my doe tags. Will post vid too if I get it. </div></div>

People, hunting is about making an ethical kill! Why try a 500 yard head shot! Or for that matter a 1426 yard shot. I hardly ever take a shot over 300 yards. Most I will defiantly keep under 200. Elk and game in the mountains I can understand 400-500 yard shots with the right caliber, but I still wouldn't do it. If you cant get within 300 yards your not hunting, your target shooting at live animals. At these long distances you risk wounding the animal! </div></div>

So you are answering the question about how far is too far? We must only shoot 300 yards to be ethical hunters? Got it, LMFAO, your joking right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jheat308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was bad ass. I'm going for a 500 yard head shot on one of my doe tags. Will post vid too if I get it. </div></div>

People, hunting is about making an ethical kill! Why try a 500 yard head shot! Or for that matter a 1426 yard shot. I hardly ever take a shot over 300 yards. Most I will defiantly keep under 200. Elk and game in the mountains I can understand 400-500 yard shots with the right caliber, but I still wouldn't do it. If you cant get within 300 yards your not hunting, your target shooting at live animals. At these long distances you risk wounding the animal! </div></div>

So you are answering the question about how far is too far? We must only shoot 300 yards to be ethical hunters? Got it, LMFAO, your joking right? </div></div>

No I am not joking. Shoot as far as you feel comfortable and at a range where you can make a heart shot without missing. I am comfortable at 300 yards and in. If you can put your bullet in a 6"x6" target every time at 1470 yards, go ahead
confused.gif
. In my opinion a 1,470 yard shot on a big game animal is not hunting, it is target shooting on live animals. To many factors that can go wrong when shooting large game at such extreme distances, and you risk wounding the animal and not making an ethical kill. There are plenty of guys that can make 500 yard plus shots when hunting, and do a good job at it. I myself just don't want to take the risk. Now I will be glad to try some paper or steal at 1000 + yards
cool.gif

Funny thing is I bet all the people that have an issue with this shot have no issue with the taking of deer with a bow/arrow.

Other than maybe car strikes, the bow/arrow wound or maim untold numbers of animals a year that are left to slowly die of infection, predators, starvation, or some other unfortunate consequence.

For the record, great shot! I have also made long range harvests, and after proper preparation it is no more difficult than taking a deer at much closer distances. It is clear the OP did it right, and if you are not capable or willing to do the work necessary to accomplish the task then you should do the sporting thing and not take the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny thing is I bet all the people that have an issue with this shot have no issue with the taking of deer with a bow/arrow. How on earth could you make a comment like that ??<span style="color: #CC0000">totally uneducated view.
I personally don't like bow hunting but that's just me .
</span>

Other than maybe car strikes, the bow/arrow wound or maim untold numbers of animals a year that are left to slowly die of infection, predators, starvation, or some other unfortunate consequence.

For the record, great shot! I have also made long range harvests, and after proper preparation it is no more difficult than taking a deer at much closer distances.
<span style="color: #CC0000">What is the correct work you speak of as I have high end gear , ability and practice and from this point of view still think it wrong to take a chancy shot like this so pray tell what magic voodoo do you have </span>

It is clear the OP did it right, and if you are not capable or willing to do the work necessary to accomplish the task then you should do the sporting thing and not take the shot. you are showing your ignorance in long range shooting -<span style="color: #CC0000">do the course and get the license eh!!sadly it doesn't work like that as there is a little more to it and plenty of misses to boot .I wonder if the OP would have taken the shot if there had been any wind </span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny thing is I bet all the people that have an issue with this shot have no issue with the taking of deer with a bow/arrow. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF6666">A bow is limited in its range, I would not want to shoot past 40 yards, 30 and in is preferable. At 30 yards and in, someone who is proficient with a bow can almost guarantee a heart or lung shot given the right circumstances. If the arrow hits the heart or lung, the deer is going to die! If you miss, it is usually because you did not take a good shot ( it was to much distance, wind gusting, or brush in the way). Bow hunting is a pure form of hunting, because you have to wait for the animal to get close, or stalk your prey. Wounding an animal with an arrow is usually the fault of the person behind the bow taking a risky shot, just like the op did with his rifle.
Again I will say a 1426 yard shot is not hunting! </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, great shot! I have also made long range harvests, and after proper preparation it is no more difficult than taking a deer at much closer distances.</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">You are extremely wrong on this! You do not know what you are talking about. Even with preparation a 1000 yard plus shot is extremely more difficult than a 100 yard shot. At 1500 yards away on another mountain, the wind can be completely different speeds than when the bullet leaves the muzzle on another mountain. The deer even has time to move a little before the bullet reaches him.

The OP was lucky he hit vitals! That shot could have easily been 8 inches off at 1420 yards which is a very small miss at that distance, but enough to just wound the animal.
</span>

The vitals of an elk are much greater than 6x6, but vital size should always be taken into consideration. I will not take a shot where I am not 100 percent confident of putting a bullet through an animals vitals whether it be 120 or 1200 yards.

I leave for my long range cow elk hunt Dec.2. I will have to take some video. Usually five or six of us go and we always fill all our tags. We have taken elk from 36 yards to 1187 yards. This is not a hunting trip, this is a grocery getting trip. If presented with a shot in the right conditions 1426 yards would not slow me down a bit.

It would tickle me to sit here and watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth of people who wish to force their perceived morality upon me.
laugh.gif
Especially when I do not give a damn what they think. This thread has guaranteed that I will break our 1187 record just for the entertainment value of rousing up the tree huggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny thing is I bet all the people that have an issue with this shot have no issue with the taking of deer with a bow/arrow. </div></div>

Nah, I consider bows, handguns, muzzle loaders etc. To be inferior to modern era rifles, so why hunt with crappy tools? Do the game a favor and stay on paper and steel if your preferece is something of the above..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The vitals of an elk are much greater than 6x6, but vital size should always be taken into consideration. I will not take a shot where I am not 100 percent confident of putting a bullet through an animals vitals whether it be 120 or 1200 yards.

I leave for my long range cow elk hunt Dec.2. I will have to take some video. Usually five or six of us go and we always fill all our tags. We have taken elk from 36 yards to 1187 yards. This is not a hunting trip, this is a grocery getting trip. If presented with a shot in the right conditions 1426 yards would not slow me down a bit.

It would tickle me to sit here and watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth of people who wish to force their perceived morality upon me.
laugh.gif
Especially when I do not give a damn what they think. This thread has guaranteed that I will break our 1187 record just for the entertainment value of rousing up the tree huggers. </div></div>

I wish you luck, at least for a clean kill.

But I have to wonder how many shots have you have missed or how many times you have wounded an animal? I bet you don't proudly post those shots.

Someone that wants to kill an animal ethically and not take a risk with a bad shot is not a tree huger. I am all for hunting of animals, not poaching, not for grocery shopping as you call it, and not for careless minded so called hunters who take risks and make our tradition look bad.

I am for conservation of our forests, so my children can enjoy hunting. So if that makes me a tree huger so be it.

You got it right by not posting it in the hunting section. You yourself said you aren't going on a hunt. So I'm glad to see you bragging about your lucky shot in the long range shooting section instead.

Just to explain how risky the shot is- at 1426 yards 1MOA is 14.93 inches. So if your hunting rifle is 1 moa capable at 1426 yards you basically have 15 inches of where the bullet could strike even if you make a perfect shot, which is more than enough for a miss. At 2 MOA we are talking 30 inches. This is not taking into account wind and coriolis.

Someone please correct me on the above figures if I am wrong, Thanks.

So you are basically bragging about a lucky shot that an ethical hunter would not have taken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I leave for my long range cow elk hunt Dec.2. I will have to take some video. Usually five or six of us go and we always fill all our tags. We have taken elk from 36 yards to 1187 yards. <span style="text-decoration: underline">This is not a hunting trip, this is a grocery getting trip.</span> If presented with a shot in the right conditions 1426 yards would not slow me down a bit.</div></div>

You mean you hunt for meat, as opposed to challenging yourself against one of natures critters? You Sir, are truly a savage. Can I go too?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The vitals of an elk are much greater than 6x6, but vital size should always be taken into consideration. I will not take a shot where I am not 100 percent confident of putting a bullet through an animals vitals whether it be 120 or 1200 yards.

laugh.gif
Especially when I do not give a damn what they think. This thread has guaranteed that I will break our 1187 record just for the entertainment value of rousing up the tree huggers. </div></div>

But I have to wonder how many shots have you have missed or how many times you have wounded an animal? I bet you don't proudly post those shots.

Someone that wants to kill an animal ethically and not take a risk with a bad shot is not a tree huger. I am all for hunting of animals, not poaching, not for grocery shopping as you call it, and not for careless minded so called hunters who take risks and make our tradition look bad.

I am for conservation of our forests, so my children can enjoy hunting. So if that makes me a tree huger so be it.

You got it right by not posting it in the hunting section. You yourself said you aren't going on a hunt. So I'm glad to see you bragging about your lucky shot in the long range shooting section instead.

Just to explain how risky the shot is- at 1426 yards 1MOA is 14.93 inches. So if your hunting rifle is 1 moa capable at 1426 yards you basically have 15 inches of where the bullet could strike even if you make a perfect shot, which is more than enough for a miss. At 2 MOA we are talking 30 inches. This is not taking into account wind and coriolis.

So you are basically bragging about a lucky shot that an ethical hunter would not have taken. </div></div>

Only a "tree hugger" could hold only 1 MOA at distance. Didn't you know? Most of these guys can hold .25 MOA out to 1500 yards with 100% confidence.
smirk.gif

This is a very good discussion that points out "hunters" versus "killers". Hunters eat what they kill and do it humanely. Killers just want to kill.

As for the OP, that was a great long range shot, that I wish you wouldn't of tried on an animal, but I am glad it was a kill shot since you did. I would rave all day about you hitting a 10" plate at that range.

As for wounding prairie dogs, I don't understand people enjoying killing a defenseless creature. If you are a farmer or rancher like most of my family, it makes sense, since a broken leg on a horse can be devastating, but to just enjoy killing, makes no sense to me.

Practice long(luck) shots on steel and keep it humane for animals.

<span style="color: #FF6666">A bow is limited in its range, I would not want to shoot past 40 yards, 30 and in is preferable. At 30 yards and in, someone who is proficient with a bow can almost guarantee a heart or lung shot given the right circumstances. If the arrow hits the heart or lung, the deer is going to die! If you miss, it is usually because you did not take a good shot ( it was to much distance, wind gusting, or brush in the way). Bow hunting is a pure form of hunting, because you have to wait for the animal to get close, or stalk your prey. Wounding an animal with an arrow is usually the fault of the person behind the bow taking a risky shot, just like the op did with his rifle.
Again I will say a 1426 yard shot is not hunting! </span>

I have bow hunted for years, and spent many hours a field tracking and stalking within bow range of most of the animals in my area, I've had bull elk literally die seconds after an arrow hit within feet of me I know very well the skills it takes to be proficient at taking game with bow and arrow! That all to preface that hard core bow hunting and long range rifle hunting are the same dang thing, the skill levels are on par the equipment is perfected the same way and the level of dedication and practice are at the same level and if any hunting has a high standard for ethics it's long range hunting.
The long range hunters I've rubbed shoulders with have the highest respect for the game they are after and quite a few of them have been drawn to long range hunting due to seeing bad stuff happening at close range and in there search for a more ethical with higher standards kind of hunting and they find long range hunting.

I am strictly a meat hunter and being long range capable is one of the best tools I have, I can set up to take an animal at the best possible location and to make the highest percentage shot. I don't let the animal control the shot or dictate the approach, I control it and can put them at their most vulnerable location and position which makes the shot a much higher percentage, once you close under 600yrds in the stuff I hunt the animal is in control and your only taking the best shot they will present and they don't live long being stupid about it! Hunting at long range also has the great advantage of being able to observe your game and make strategic management decisions, I have a very high rate of taking older dry cow elk because I can take the time to study the animals and take the one animal I want from a herd. It also causes less stress on the herd as a whole since the one animal is killed with very little commotion and disturbance to the area and they continue using the area as normal.

I work with a guy that is one of the top bow hunters in Montana, bow hunting is his obsession and his ethical standard is impeccable and when he found out I was learning how to long range hunt with a rifle he flipped out and all but quit talking to me and sounded like many on this board, it took me two years to talk him into coming with me to shoot and let me show him what I was doing. After looking things over and going through it with him I showed him how we were doping the shot at 1030yrds on a 10" plate, he was scoffing that we wouldn't even come close and after a few dry fires to get used to my trigger he put two shots on the plate, I then walked him all the way into 300yrds shooting various targets we had placed. He's now a full on long range supporter and wants a rifle built, it's happened time and again if people will actually go with a guy and see what it takes and the effort it take to do this right instead of whining on the internet over something they have little or no knowledge about then we would have a lot better chance against the anti hunting and gun crowds.
Hunters throwing other hunters under the bus for not doing it their way is the greatest gift anyone could give the anti hunters, they love nothing more than us back stabbing each other just because one group thinks they have a purer way or more ethical way of hunting. The antis will take away our hunting privileges away from use one method at a time with help from other hunters, then we and the game animal loose!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mram10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a very good discussion that points out "hunters" versus "killers". Hunters eat what they kill and do it humanely. Killers just want to kill.
As for the OP, that was a great long range shot, that I wish you wouldn't of tried on an animal, but I am glad it was a kill shot since you did. I would rave all day about you hitting a 10" plate at that range.
As for wounding prairie dogs, I don't understand people enjoying killing a defenseless creature. If you are a farmer or rancher like most of my family, it makes sense, since a broken leg on a horse can be devastating, but to just enjoy killing, makes no sense to me.
Practice long(luck) shots on steel and keep it humane for animals. </div></div>

Well played.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The vitals of an elk are much greater than 6x6, but vital size should always be taken into consideration. I will not take a shot where I am not 100 percent confident of putting a bullet through an animals vitals whether it be 120 or 1200 yards.

laugh.gif

So you are basically bragging about a lucky shot that an ethical hunter would not have taken. </div></div>

I wonder how much some of yall have even shot at long range and the level of your equipment. How often have you shot at 1500 yards?
Yo can prepare yourself to kill an animal at extreme ranges if you have the time money and inclination. I will start shooting the rifle that I intend to hunt with exclusively about Nov.1 I will burn about 150 rounds confirming my new long range system. When I get to my hunting area I will fire several shots through out the day while we move from area to area to ranges out past a mile making sure that everything is working. If we set up in an are where a long shot is possible I will usually find something to shoot to verify my drops and wind calls.
My rifle is more like a 1/4 MOA rifle. All of my long range hunting equipment is about as good as I can afford. I shoot thousands of rounds every year preparing for shots like this. My guide knows of my physical limitations and enjoys long range hunting also.

BTW I cannot claim that I have never missed an animal at long range. I have, due to stupidity in forgetting to dial my scope back to zero before dialing my dope. That has to my shame happened twice, both times resulting in very clean misses. I missed an oryx at long range because I was given the wrong incline and range from my guide, we were looking at two different animals. That was the first time we long range hunted together.
I have never wounded an animal that was not recovered within 100 yards of the shot, most are DRT. I have never lost an animal at long range......ooops I forgot I did lose one pig shot at 1600 yards, but did get the other two that were with him. I could have recovered that pig but the land owner said two was enough to skin and he wanted them all dead anyway. I was riding with him that day so I could not really argue the point. He wanted me to shoot the pigs like we do prairie dogs and just leave them lay(Never killed a PD further than 1200). In fact he wanted us to gut shoot them and let them run off and die. We killed probably 20 hogs at that farm. All but the one were recovered and the meat was processed and used or donated. Most of those hogs were killed at distances further than 1400 yards, some as far as a mile. I have also helped a couple buddies who own ranches in TX clear out a bunch of wild goats that they wanted gone. Most of those animals were DRT but some did run off. We were not particularly interested in doing anything other than getting them dead, none were purposefully wounded, but it may have happened. We did not take as much time on them as we may have a bug game animal, there were just so many targets. The area we cow elk hunt in is overpopulated, according to the state but we are still very careful when filling our tags. Nobody wants to be eating an animal that has been running around near shock full of adrenaline. I responded to your questions, now answer mine above. Tell me all about your experience shooting long range. Tell me how you know this is all so difficult and that all long range kills shots are all just luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wonder how much some of yall have even shot at long range and the level of your equipment. How often have you shot at 1500 yards?
Yo can prepare yourself to kill an animal at extreme ranges if you have the time money and inclination. I will start shooting the rifle that I intend to hunt with exclusively about Nov.1 I will burn about 150 rounds confirming my new long range system. When I get to my hunting area I will fire several shots through out the day while we move from area to area to ranges out past a mile making sure that everything is working. If we set up in an are where a long shot is possible I will usually find something to shoot to verify my drops and wind calls.
My rifle is more like a 1/4 MOA rifle. All of my long range hunting equipment is about as good as I can afford. I shoot thousands of rounds every year preparing for shots like this. My guide knows of my physical limitations and enjoys long range hunting also.

BTW I cannot claim that I have never missed an animal at long range. I have, due to stupidity in forgetting to dial my scope back to zero before dialing my dope. That has to my shame happened twice, both times resulting in very clean misses. I missed an oryx at long range because I was given the wrong incline and range from my guide, we were looking at two different animals. That was the first time we long range hunted together.
I have never wounded an animal that was not recovered within 100 yards of the shot, most are DRT. I have never lost an animal at long range......ooops I forgot I did lose one pig shot at 1600 yards, but did get the other two that were with him. I could have recovered that pig but the land owner said two was enough to skin and he wanted them all dead anyway. I was riding with him that day so I could not really argue the point. He wanted me to shoot the pigs like we do prairie dogs and just leave them lay(Never killed a PD further than 1200). In fact he wanted us to gut shoot them and let them run off and die. We killed probably 20 hogs at that farm. All but the one were recovered and the meat was processed and used or donated. Most of those hogs were killed at distances further than 1400 yards, some as far as a mile. I have also helped a couple buddies who own ranches in TX clear out a bunch of wild goats that they wanted gone. Most of those animals were DRT but some did run off. We were not particularly interested in doing anything other than getting them dead, none were purposefully wounded, but it may have happened. We did not take as much time on them as we may have a bug game animal, there were just so many targets. The area we cow elk hunt in is overpopulated, according to the state but we are still very careful when filling our tags. Nobody wants to be eating an animal that has been running around near shock full of adrenaline. I responded to your questions, now answer mine above. Tell me all about your experience shooting long range. Tell me how you know this is all so difficult and that all long range kills shots are all just luck. </div></div>

Yes long range shooting takes practice and skill. to answer you question, my long range experience is shooting 308 and 300 win mag just over 1000 yards for the past 2-3 years. I have practiced shooting out to 500 yards for 10 years with my hunting rifles mostly .270. <span style="color: #CC0000"> No I do not have a rifle that can shoot 0.25 moa at 1500 yards like you LOL
smirk.gif
. </span>

I don't care how much practice you put in, It is not good hunting practice when you kill large game at 1500 yards. Your shot can very easily miss vitals with the slightest movement, mistake, or uncontrollable variable in nature.
At 0-300 yards you have more control, and variables & mistakes will not affect the shot placement as much as it would at 1500 yards.

Apparently you are just getting a thrill out of it, because it must make you feel more powerful trying to kill something almost a mile away. Every time you shoot an animal that far you take an unnecessary and risky shot.

I say leave that stuff to the active duty snipers in our military, who cares if they wound those scum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For two seconds you were entirely dependent upon the animal not moving. The longer the distance the greater the need for that kind of luck. Simple physics. Why don't you satisfy your ego in a way that sees you pay for your mistakes rather than something else, then you might have something to brag about.

I'm wondering how many other deer you've tried this on that didn't make for attaboy footage. </div></div>

+1 Agree!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Only a "tree hugger" could hold only 1 MOA at distance. Didn't you know? Most of these guys can hold .25 MOA out to 1500 yards with 100% confidence.
smirk.gif

</div></div>

I did not know that, but that's what they are telling me anyway, .25 moa at 1500 yards and 100% confident in making a shot that takes almost 1.5-2 seconds to get there. They most know when the animal is not going to move also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I say leave that stuff to the active duty snipers in our military, who cares if they wound those scum.
</div></div>
How can you separate worrying about the range at which someone cleanly kills an animal but then not have the slightest worry about flinging lead at an other human being. You have more respect and feeling for a piece of food than an other human being, what kind of statement is that on your ethics!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bow hunting is a pure form of hunting, because you have to wait for the animal to get close, or stalk your prey. Wounding an animal with an arrow is usually the fault of the person behind the bow taking a risky shot</div></div>
So you have issues with the thought that an animal may move in the 2 second flight time of a bullet, well have you ever had an animal jump the string while bow hunting, but then again I guess that would be cool since your at close range and it the pure form of hunting!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
How can you separate worrying about the range at which someone cleanly kills an animal but then not have the slightest worry about flinging lead at an other human being. You have more respect and feeling for a piece of food than an other human being, what kind of statement is that on your ethics!!! </div></div>

Because war is a dirty thing of neccesary evil, and a wounded soldier has a decent chance of survival, whereas a wounded animal has no means of care.. I hate when people draw parallells between war and hunting, its just stupid..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have never wounded an animal that was not recovered within 100 yards of the shot, most are DRT. I have never lost an animal at long range......ooops I forgot I did lose one pig shot at 1600 yards, but did get the other two that were with him. I could have recovered that pig but the land owner said two was enough to skin and he wanted them all dead anyway. I was riding with him that day so I could not really argue the point. He wanted me to shoot the pigs like we do prairie dogs and just leave them lay(Never killed a PD further than 1200). In fact he wanted us to gut shoot them and let them run off and die. We killed probably 20 hogs at that farm. All but the one were recovered and the meat was processed and used or donated. Most of those hogs were killed at distances further than 1400 yards, some as far as a mile. I have also helped a couple buddies who own ranches in TX clear out a bunch of wild goats that they wanted gone. Most of those animals were DRT but some did run off. We were not particularly interested in doing anything other than getting them dead, none were purposefully wounded, but it may have happened. We did not take as much time on them as we may have a bug game animal, there were just so many targets. The area we cow elk hunt in is overpopulated, according to the state but we are still very careful when filling our tags. Nobody wants to be eating an animal that has been running around near shock full of adrenaline. I responded to your questions, now answer mine above. Tell me all about your experience shooting long range. Tell me how you know this is all so difficult and that all long range kills shots are all just luck. </div></div>

Thanks for making my point, long range hunting is full of failures as Im trying to explain to people..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good shooting Wadcutter don't worry about the na sayers .

That was a good clean shot thanks for taking the time to post . </div></div>you have no idea and are a lemming -off the cliff you go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
How can you separate worrying about the range at which someone cleanly kills an animal but then not have the slightest worry about flinging lead at an other human being. You have more respect and feeling for a piece of food than an other human being, what kind of statement is that on your ethics!!! </div></div>

Wrong! It is clear you also know not what you speak of. Wounding an enemy soldier takes them out the fight, which is the goal. One wounded soldier usually takes others out the fight temporarily also. A wounded soldier has a chance at survival. A wounded animal has almost no chance. In law enforcement and sometimes war you shoot the threat to stop them, not necessarily kill them. Do not compare war to hunting animals!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bow hunting is a pure form of hunting, because you have to wait for the animal to get close, or stalk your prey. Wounding an animal with an arrow is usually the fault of the person behind the bow taking a risky shot</div></div>
So you have issues with the thought that an animal may move in the 2 second flight time of a bullet, well have you ever had an animal jump the string while bow hunting, but then again I guess that would be cool since your at close range and it the pure form of hunting!! </div></div>

If that string is released when they are still, you are at such a close range within five to forty yards that they cannot move sudden enough to dodge an arrow coming at them 280-300 FPS. If they jump string, you got excited and released your shot when they took off after they smelled or heard you (before your shot), which is something an experienced hunter should and would not do (shoot at a moving deer with a bow or rifle).

With a 1500 yard shot like the op wants to make they have almost 2 seconds to move. Nice try, but you have no valid point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you have no idea and are a lemming -off the cliff you go </div></div>

Why do you say that ? Because my opinion differ's from yours so you resort to childish name calling .

Therefore your argument is invalid .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bow hunting is a pure form of hunting, because you have to wait for the animal to get close, or stalk your prey. Wounding an animal with an arrow is usually the fault of the person behind the bow taking a risky shot</div></div>
So you have issues with the thought that an animal may move in the 2 second flight time of a bullet, well have you ever had an animal jump the string while bow hunting, but then again I guess that would be cool since your at close range and it the pure form of hunting!! </div></div>

If that string is released when they are still, you are at such a close range within five to forty yards that they cannot move sudden enough to dodge an arrow coming at them 280-300 FPS. If they jump string, you got excited and released your shot when they took off after they smelled or heard you (before your shot), which is something an experienced hunter should and would not do (shoot at a moving deer with a bow or rifle).

With a 1500 yard shot like the op wants to make they have almost 2 seconds to move. Nice try, but you have no valid point. </div></div>

Just how much actual hunting have you done? How many whitetail have you shot with a bow, I shoot a moderately fast bow and I hold very low and if a deer drops before the arrow gets there it pin wheels it in the lungs, you can clearly see this demonstrated on many a hunting video when they slow it down. Last year we had a guy almost get beat and he was shooting a PSE Omen, the doe was looking away at 32 yards and she almost beat the arrow.

There's really no argument or level of skill that covers the fact that at long range the animal has every opportunity to move and turn a good kill into needless maiming.

The ego can make excuses to explain a wide range of dumb behavior. Against the logic of physics however it's seen for what it is to those who can look at the facts as they are.

Karma can be cruel, and for those who are willing to let other creatures and people suffer the consequences of their ego I hope it is swift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just how much actual hunting have you done? How many whitetail have you shot with a bow, I shoot a moderately fast bow and I hold very low and if a deer drops before the arrow gets there it pin wheels it in the lungs, you can clearly see this demonstrated on many a hunting video when they slow it down. Last year we had a guy almost get beat and he was shooting a PSE Omen, the doe was looking away at 32 yards and she almost beat the arrow. </div></div>

I have bow hunted and rifle hunted whitetail every year since I was 14. I took my first with a bow at 16, and have taken at least one with a bow every year except one. I have never had a dear that moved fast enough to get out of the way of my arrow when they where still when I shot, but granted my shots are within 30 yards, I have a lot of patience.
I have had deer bolt, but I never released the arrow. When they hear that sound, they try to bolt, but it's to late, as the arrow is stuck in them when they take off. Many people blame the deers bolting on what was actually a poor placed shot.

EventHorizon

I am not disagreeing with you there is a very real risk of injuring the animal that you are hunting , but that risk is their even when hunting at normal range's .

I don't think that everyone should go out and try and kill a deer at 1000yd's , you need to have a very strong skill base before you can even think of taking a shot like this on a live target .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EventHorizon
I am not disagreeing with you there is a very real risk of injuring the animal that you are hunting , but that risk is their even when hunting at normal range's .
</div></div>

My question is do you think that risk is the same at say 300yds or 1500yds. Intuitively the answer is no. If a good hunter is one that maximizes the chances of a clean kill with actions that minimize the chances of wounding then no good hunter willingly allows uncontrollable elements into the taking of game.

Lets assume perfect accuracy. If the probabilty of the animal moving once the shot is taken increases with time until there is impact then clearly the risk of wounding is higher if the time to impact is longer REGARDLESS of skill.

Animals are not an appropriate means of displaying long range marksmanship. That's what steel targets and the Taliban are for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yes long range shooting takes practice and skill. to answer you question, my long range experience is shooting 308 and 300 win mag just over 1000 yards for the past 2-3 years. I have practiced shooting out to 500 yards for 10 years with my hunting rifles mostly .270. <span style="color: #CC0000"> No I do not have a rifle that can shoot 0.25 moa at 1500 yards like you LOL
smirk.gif
. </span>

I don't care how much practice you put in, It is not good hunting practice when you kill large game at 1500 yards. Your shot can very easily miss vitals with the slightest movement, mistake, or uncontrollable variable in nature.
At 0-300 yards you have more control, and variables & mistakes will not affect the shot placement as much as it would at 1500 yards.

Apparently you are just getting a thrill out of it, because it must make you feel more powerful trying to kill something almost a mile away. Every time you shoot an animal that far you take an unnecessary and risky shot.

</div></div>

A 1/4 MOA rifle is a 1/4 MOA rifle. Now where did I say I had shot a 1/4 MOA group at 1400? Are you a little panty waste who tries to twist words? Well, I have shot a couple 1/4 MOA groups at 1400, but I did not say it. I have also shot several sub 1.5 inch groups at 800 yards with this particular rifle. All 3 shot groups though. So have others with similar set ups. Search Joel Russo's name and maybe thunder valley in the search. I think he shot a 4 shot 3 inch group at 1700 with a setup very similar to mine.

And yes I do get a thrill out of shooting animals at long range. I got tired of shooting them at normal ranges many years ago, it got boring. I went to archery and primitive weapons to make it interesting for a number of years. If I had not started long range shooting them I would still be hunting with a bow exclusively.

Your equipment is holding you back and probably part of the reason you are trying to limit others to your skill sets. If I were shooting a 300WM I would be hesitant to try those shots. You should try shooting some long range with something more suitable for the task before you go to making any judgments about the difficulty of making these shots.

If I pull up to a meadow where I expect to see an animal and pop a rock at 1500 yards. Then half an hour later have an elk in the same general vicinity and there have been no apparent wind changes, I consider that shot a gimme. Probably even a shot you could make.

A 1/4 MOA rifle is a 1/4 MOA rifle. Now where did I say I had shot a 1/4 MOA group at 1400? Are you a little panty waste who tries to twist words? Well, I have shot a couple 1/4 MOA groups at 1400, but I did not say it. I have also shot several sub 1.5 inch groups at 800 yards with this particular rifle. All 3 shot groups though. So have others with similar set ups. Search Joel Russo's name and maybe thunder valley in the search. I think he shot a 4 shot 3 inch group at 1700 with a setup very similar to mine.

And yes I do get a thrill out of shooting animals at long range. I got tired of shooting them at normal ranges many years ago, it got boring. I went to archery and primitive weapons to make it interesting for a number of years. If I had not started long range shooting them I would still be hunting with a bow exclusively.

Your equipment is holding you back and probably part of the reason you are trying to limit others to your skill sets. If I were shooting a 300WM I would be hesitant to try those shots. You should try shooting some long range with something more suitable for the task before you go to making any judgments about the difficulty of making these shots.

If I pull up to a meadow where I expect to see an animal and pop a rock at 1500 yards. Then half an hour later have an elk in the same general vicinity and there have been no apparent wind changes, I consider that shot a gimme. Probably even a shot you could make.
</div></div>

I am just wondering who actually thinks that these types of shots are easy? Even with practice it is still is not an easy shot. I believe only easy shots should be taken on big game to be ethical and make sure you have the highest % chance of killing clean. But that's just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own. I'm done arguing my point on this thread, as everyone who has read it knows where I stand.

Good luck on your future hunts.

I can't believe these arguments of morality are coming from the same people that I assume find it ethical/ok to kill another human being just because their country told them to do it.

Advice I've taken to heed was passed on to me many years ago. "Never take the shot unless you are absolutely 100% positive that it can made properly". Words of wisdom(from my father)I've exercised for over 40 years of hunting, whether I was bowhunting, wingshooting or rifle hunting. I'm not saying I've never missed a shot or wounded an animal over the course of my hunting career as that would be completely arrogant and unrealistic.

I've taken my share of big game at long range, but I keep those capabilities as a trump card only to be played if there is no other option. If the oportunity to get closer is there, I always exercise it. When it comes to hunting there is no room for "stunt shooters".

Only my beliefs....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Advice I've taken to heed was passed on to me many years ago. "Never take the shot unless you are absolutely 100% positive that it can made properly". Words of wisdom(from my father)I've exercised for over 40 years of hunting, whether I was bowhunting, wingshooting or rifle hunting. I'm not saying I've never missed a shot or wounded an animal over the course of my hunting career as that would be completely arrogant and unrealistic.

I've taken my share of big game at long range, but I keep those capabilities as a trump card only to be played if there is no other option. If the oportunity to get closer is there, I always exercise it. When it comes to hunting there is no room for "stunt shooters".

Only my beliefs.... </div></div>

Well said, and thoughtful advice.

Seems some people just don't or won't read what others have written.

It's not only about accuracy it's about what you can't control. At that distance the bullet is in flight long enough to make it a bad miss. It's got nothing to do with your skill.

It's an asshole and wimpy thing to do to put aside the ethics of a clean kill so you don't get bored.

I suppose what I find the most interesting in this thread is that we've devolved the argument into ethical hunting distances; driven there by people who don't hunt and also by people who've never taken a shot even 50% the distance at which this animal was killed.

I have seen a lot of poorly hit animals at distances less than 10% of the shot in question.

There's no replacement for trigger time and "saddle time". If you haven't hunted before or you don't have many hours scouting and watching wild animals <span style="text-decoration: underline">in the field</span> I find such suppositions about integrity and hunter morality laughable.

There's a classic saying that is quite applicable and it has something to do with "walking a mile in their shoes".

I've sent a whole lot of rounds downrange past 1000yd with much smaller calibers than this and connecting at similar distances worries me less than trying to hit a running animal in the brush. Yet you don't hear this kind of chin music from a guy that busts a buck at 60yd that he jumped on a drive.

Jared Joplin culled a doe at 1100+ with his 284 a couple of months back. The energy, wind drift, ToF, and drop characteristics of his bullet at 1100yd is practically a twin to the characteristics of this 338 Edge.

There wasn't so much as a peep regarding the ethics of his "bang. flop" kill on a doe that was standing and grazing around on a road. Yet the OP takes a 4 page running commentary from the non-hunters who haven't taken a shot past 800yd on anything in their lifetime?

That's the stuff internet legends are made from I suppose.

ETA: PGS' advice is spot on IMO. The ability is on tap <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">if necessary</span></span> but it is the job of a hunter to make sure necessity an option of last resort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 1/4 MOA rifle is a 1/4 MOA rifle. Now where did I say I had shot a 1/4 MOA group at 1400? Are you a little panty waste who tries to twist words? Well, I have shot a couple 1/4 MOA groups at 1400, but I did not say it. I have also shot several sub 1.5 inch groups at 800 yards with this particular rifle. All 3 shot groups though. So have others with similar set ups. Search Joel Russo's name and maybe thunder valley in the search. I think he shot a 4 shot 3 inch group at 1700 with a setup very similar to mine.
</div></div>

Deer don't care about sub-MOA, 3-shot, or even 5-shot groups from what I've heard.

My question is, do you hit within 1.5 inch from where you aim with a first, cold bore shot (or perhaps cold body shot?) from 800 yards? I do on my deer, but I don't shoot at 800 yards either..

If you have read the thread you will know that the way I long range hunt is not really a cold bore shot, as through out the day I am shooting to confirm drops and wind drift. I am not worried about hitting within a quarter moa of my poa only in the vitals. An elk has vitals much larger that quarter moa until much further than most will shoot. I have often seen elk vitals described as 18 inches, I figure more like 15. How far could you shoot a 15 inch Target with sighters?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe these arguments of morality are coming from the same people that I assume find it ethical/ok to kill another human being just because their country told them to do it. </div></div>

Perhaps a completely different topic, eh? But my 2 cents, people do their job, if their job is LE, Military, Security heck even inserting the IV in death row doesn't mean you're a person without morale, who took the job for the 'privilege' to kill people right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have read the thread you will know that the way I long range hunt is not really a cold bore shot, as through out the day I am shooting to confirm drops and wind drift. I am not worried about hitting within a quarter moa of my poa only in the vitals. An elk has vitals much larger that quarter moa until much further than most will shoot. I have often seen elk vitals described as 18 inches, I figure more like 15. How far could you shoot a 15 inch Target with sighters? </div></div>

Anything shot 5 minutes after last round through the barrel is going to be a cold bore. I can give you that a few rounds earlier before going hunting on the same thay would mean youre at least not a "cold body shot" at best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe these arguments of morality are coming from the same people that I assume find it ethical/ok to kill another human being just because their country told them to do it. </div></div>

Perhaps a completely different topic, eh? But my 2 cents, people do their job, if their job is LE, Military, Security heck even inserting the IV in death row doesn't mean you're a person without morale, who took the job for the 'privilege' to kill people right? </div></div>

"Doing your job" is nothing more than an excuse to sleep at night. Im not trying to get off topic, and Im agreeing that someone DOES need to do those jobs. What I'm saying is how many people are on here putting down the OP and proclaiming they have morals,implying unlike him. They are talking from a moral high horse position, but then since its your job to do other bad things it ok. It reminds me of the priests that molest little boys, and don't think for a second that they didnt have their own 'justifications'.

We often shoot spotters at the spot we set up to shoot at animals. Sometimes we shoot throughout the afternoon. But did you answer how far you can hit a 15-18 inch target?