• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1426 yard deer

Re: 1426 yard deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suppose what I find the most interesting in this thread is that we've devolved the argument into ethical hunting distances; driven there by people who don't hunt and also by people who've never taken a shot even 50% the distance at which this animal was killed.

I have seen a lot of poorly hit animals at distances less than 10% of the shot in question.

There's no replacement for trigger time and "saddle time". If you haven't hunted before or you don't have many hours scouting and watching wild animals <span style="text-decoration: underline">in the field</span> I find such suppositions about integrity and hunter morality laughable.

There's a classic saying that is quite applicable and it has something to do with "walking a mile in their shoes".

I've sent a whole lot of rounds downrange past 1000yd with much smaller calibers than this and connecting at similar distances worries me less than trying to hit a running animal in the brush. Yet you don't hear this kind of chin music from a guy that busts a buck at 60yd that he jumped on a drive.

Jared Joplin culled a doe at 1100+ with his 284 a couple of months back. The energy, wind drift, ToF, and drop characteristics of his bullet at 1100yd is practically a twin to the characteristics of this 338 Edge.

There wasn't so much as a peep regarding the ethics of his "bang. flop" kill on a doe that was standing and grazing around on a road. <span style="color: #CC0000">Yet the OP takes a 4 page running commentary from the non-hunters who haven't taken a shot past 800yd on anything in their lifetime?</span>

That's the stuff internet legends are made from I suppose.

ETA: PGS' advice is spot on IMO. The ability is on tap <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">if necessary</span></span> but it is the job of a hunter to make sure necessity an option of last resort. </div></div>

Bohem , your statement in red is unqualified and conjecture - you dont know how many of the posters hunt dont hunt ,shoot amazing at what ever distances .The point being made by these ethically sensible posters is its not worth shooting an animal at that distance due to the unacceptable higher possiblities of a wound shot being made rather than a kill shot and having the animal run off to die a horrible death .Its not about how much time behind the trigger youve had cause you can still miss.
Its about being sensible and being able to "no"

Guys miss at close range let alone longe range .I too have put down a lot of rounds at a k and if theres wind oohh there are plenty of 1-2-3 foot misses , I just cant feel the wind at a K like I can at 100 yards.Now this doesnt make me a novice shooter or even one that lacks experience -it means in my case I have experiance and knowledge and that is why I dont pull the trigger on an animal at those distances .

That statement is based on personal knowledge of several posters involved in the thread. Do I have personal knowledge of your skill set or experience? Nope, so I didn't include you in that statement.

But the "dog pile" attitude does have a bunch of people who don't have that experience and I know that for a fact.

The fact that you feel an immediate need to include yourself in that statement without any direct implication does make a clear statement:

You are part of the unqualified dog pile.

You can't feel the wind, however I can give you 4 different guys off the top of my head who have consistent first round hits on sub MOA targets at a mile and beyond. I've seen it happen on multiple occasions first hand.

Doesn't mean that I have the confidence in my skills to do something like this but I do know some shooters capable of it.

I think that my point is quite clear:

Those that don't have the knowledge, experience and skills to do what was quite clearly accomplished here need to stand down and learn as opposed to vilifying someone else simply because they can't do it themselves.

ETA: You are quite correct, there are a lot of animals that are hit poorly at very short distances by bad shots and poorly chosen shots. I've passed on several chances to shoot animals because I didn't think I had a good shot. Many people do. I've also passed on shots at 15 feet and later in the day taken a shot over 600yd with successful, single round immediate kill.

first shot hits at a mile is fantastic Bohem !
What you failed to say is how many times theyve tried and missed and this is the point of this debate !! Is your ego worth the pain and suffering an animal goes through when you dont make that one shot one kill?
As far as putting myself on the dog pile with the other shooter /posters here no problem at all with that as I havent finnished learning and never will -TOUCH'E

It's pretty difficult to learn from people when you attack their actions and choices but still think you're going to glean insight into successful implementation of what they already accomplish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your ego worth the pain and suffering an animal goes through when you dont make that one shot one kill?</div></div>

That's exactly why I made the statement I did:

<span style="font-style: italic">I've passed on several chances to shoot animals because I didn't think I had a good shot. Many people do. I've also passed on shots at 15 feet and later in the day taken a shot over 600yd with successful, single round immediate kill.</span>

If I don't deem it to be a high probability of success I don't take the shot. Standard practice.

Bohem , I could make long range kills with success but I choose not to - period!

To me there are other values that take a much greater president over killing an animal at a great distance, basically Its just not that important to me and I value its welfare more than my need to perform skillful shots that I can make on steel .

Many others here on the Hide obviously feel the same as I do .

I take my hat off to all you standup guys that make a difference and hold to your beliefs in ethical sensible hunting .cheers

I wish I had a 1/4 moa rifle! Wow. I shot my edge and a 300wsm I did up for my hunting partner today and took them out to 900 yds(I still can't use meters). They both shot anything from 6 inch to 10 inch, 5 shot groups. I was quite happy with those off a bipod.

I still don't understand being bored with killing a creature at close range, if your intent is to gather food. If you are "bored" because you get a thrill off of killing something, then I would question your morals and ethics.

The SS were just doing "their job" when they gassed the Jews too ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe these arguments of morality are coming from the same people that I assume find it ethical/ok to kill another human being just because their country told them to do it. </div></div>

Perhaps a completely different topic, eh? But my 2 cents, people do their job, if their job is LE, Military, Security heck even inserting the IV in death row doesn't mean you're a person without morale, who took the job for the 'privilege' to kill people right? </div></div>

"Doing your job" is nothing more than an excuse to sleep at night. Im not trying to get off topic, and Im agreeing that someone DOES need to do those jobs. What I'm saying is how many people are on here putting down the OP and proclaiming they have morals,implying unlike him. They are talking from a moral high horse position, but then since its your job to do other bad things it ok. It reminds me of the priests that molest little boys, and don't think for a second that they didnt have their own 'justifications'. </div></div>

Call me a safe player, but I dont kill deer at 1400 yards, nor guts enemies or criminals - but I can assure you I would have less problem shooting a home invader threatening my family, than squeezing the trigger on a deer standing 1400 yards away if it came to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We often shoot spotters at the spot we set up to shoot at animals. Sometimes we shoot throughout the afternoon. But did you answer how far you can hit a 15-18 inch target? </div></div>

You shoot all afternoon and then the elk just wander on in to your area?

Maybe I'm just hunting smarter elk, but after the first asshole fires the first shot, we have to move over to the next state to find them again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We often shoot spotters at the spot we set up to shoot at animals. Sometimes we shoot throughout the afternoon. But did you answer how far you can hit a 15-18 inch target? </div></div>

Thats good, should increase all odds in your favour as I see it. As for your question,

I can only answer for my .308, since my 6XC-barrel has just arrived. I've managed to get 18 or 19 out (wind made the hits hard to hear) of 20 shots on a 23x23" target on 1005 meters (1100yd) in gusty weathers 6-7 mph, my spotter gave me calls to hold off anything between 0,5 MIL left to 1,5 MIL right if I recall correctly, we used 3 wind flags in total and I used Scenar 155's at around 2900 fps, dope was around 11,3 MIL I believe.

As for the MOA discussion, I don't pursue small groups, but I've managed to shoot sub 1/2 MOA 5-shot group during a prone competition on a 300 meter range (321 yd).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You shoot all afternoon and then the elk just wander on in to your area?

Maybe I'm just hunting smarter elk, but after the first asshole fires the first shot, we have to move over to the next state to find them again.
</div></div>

What your not getting is the only thing that is happening at the target is maybe a small signature and they may hear low noise way of out of their zone of concern, that's the whole point your not disrupting the elk patterns by wading into the middle of them and pushing them of their pattern. Trust me if you do it right they don't have a clue till someone is upside down! And then you just slip in and retriever the animal not thrashing the whole country side pushing animal all over the place in the manner your used to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mram10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS were just doing "their job" when they gassed the Jews too .... </div></div>

I will defend the op for once on this comment! You cant compare what the SS did to the Jews, to what the op has done! While I do not agree with long range shots on animals, the op is not committing genocide. He has not done something that bad. There is no place for that comment in this discussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We often shoot spotters at the spot we set up to shoot at animals. Sometimes we shoot throughout the afternoon. But did you answer how far you can hit a 15-18 inch target? </div></div>

Thats good, should increase all odds in your favour as I see it. As for your question,

I can only answer for my .308, since my 6XC-barrel has just arrived. I've managed to get 18 or 19 out (wind made the hits hard to hear) of 20 shots on a 23x23" target on 1005 meters (1100yd) in gusty weathers 6-7 mph, my spotter gave me calls to hold off anything between 0,5 MIL left to 1,5 MIL right if I recall correctly, we used 3 wind flags in total and I used Scenar 155's at around 2900 fps, dope was around 11,3 MIL I believe.

As for the MOA discussion, I don't pursue small groups, but I've managed to shoot sub 1/2 MOA 5-shot group during a prone competition on a 300 meter range (321 yd).

</div></div>

Okay you can hit an elks vitals 18-19 time out of 20 at 1100 with a 308 in crazy whipping winds and you argue that people should not be shooting at animals at further distances. I will not shoot an ELR shot at an animal in winds like that. In good conditions don't you think you could have hit that 20 for 20? What about at 1500 in zero wind? (if you ever get a gun suitable for shooting 1500)

I will be the first to admit that there are some people who should not be shooting past 100 yards. But people like the OP have just as much right to take an animal at long range as you do at short range. For the ones who have no business shooting at animals at that distance, well you cannot help stupid.
As to your ethics, don't take those long shots if you do not want to. I do not have a problem with you voicing your opinion about it either. But yall should have taken it to your own thread instead of crapping on the OPs accomplishment whether you like it or not, which has been my issue with some of yall since my first post in this thread.

the flaming needs to stop regarding elr hunting, the guy seems to know what he's doing, just go on youtube and you will see thousands of vids of guys that fuck up a 50-100 yard shot , our guy here has practiced at the distance etc ,
a long time ago i got flamed on here bad for asking about the same topic, there is a lot, perhaps a majority of hunters even on here that 200y is a long shot on a animal, one thing i have noticed is that no one flames a "sniper" for having a go at over a 1000y even taking multi shots to get on a human target, strange that people can give animal more moral protection than a human life.
as this has hit 5 pages already perhaps we should get together and make a code of conduct for elr hunting
standered size target of 12"-15"
must be able to hit said target 10 out of ten
minimum energy at target?
etc?
the only thing i do now is have a buddy at 100y from the target with his rifle ready should it not go to plan [ the ground i shoot on has deep drainage ditches in a rolling field so complete safety for back up shooter]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We often shoot spotters at the spot we set up to shoot at animals. Sometimes we shoot throughout the afternoon. But did you answer how far you can hit a 15-18 inch target? </div></div>

</div></div>

Okay you can hit an elks vitals 18-19 time out of 20 at 1100 with a 308 in crazy whipping winds and you argue that people should not be shooting at animals at further distances. I will not shoot an ELR shot at an animal in winds like that. In good conditions don't you think you could have hit that 20 for 20? What about at 1500 in zero wind? (if you ever get a gun suitable for shooting 1500)

I will be the first to admit that there are some people who should not be shooting past 100 yards. But people like the OP have just as much right to take an animal at long range as you do at short range. For the ones who have no business shooting at animals at that distance, well you cannot help stupid.
As to your ethics, don't take those long shots if you do not want to. I do not have a problem with you voicing your opinion about it either. But yall should have taken it to your own thread instead of crapping on the OPs accomplishment whether you like it or not, which has been my issue with some of yall since my first post in this thread. </div></div>

Tanks for making my point - I <span style="font-style: italic">cannot</span> hit elk vitals from 1100 yards, my standards prohibits me from even trying. But I can hit a hardox plate, hanging in perfect siluette, all white and very easy to distinguish from the background as well as whether is going to take a step forward while my bullet is mid-air or not.. I would also like the opportunity to say that I wouldn't have hit jack without good spotting on that particular day.. he called it, I just pulled the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. I would also like the opportunity to say that I wouldn't have hit jack without good spotting on that particular day.. he called it, I just pulled the trigger. </div></div>

You're welcome
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mram10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS were just doing "their job" when they gassed the Jews too .... </div></div>

I will defend the op for once on this comment! You cant compare what the SS did to the Jews, to what the op has done! While I do not agree with long range shots on animals, the op is not committing genocide. He has not done something that bad. There is no place for that comment in this discussion. </div></div>

Really? How did you get that out of my post? Please go back and read the other posts talking about needing people to do jobs, regardless of what they are. Someone then said, it was their "job", referring to lack of morals or ethics involved.

I was pointing out that a person's "job" has everything to do with morals and ethics and in NO WAY protects them just because it is part of their "job".

It had NOTHING to do with the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. I would also like the opportunity to say that I wouldn't have hit jack without good spotting on that particular day.. he called it, I just pulled the trigger. </div></div>

You're welcome
smile.gif
</div></div>

There he is, my super-spotter!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We often shoot spotters at the spot we set up to shoot at animals. Sometimes we shoot throughout the afternoon. But did you answer how far you can hit a 15-18 inch target? </div></div>

</div></div>

As to your ethics, don't take those long shots if you do not want to. I do not have a problem with you voicing your opinion about it either. But yall should have taken it to your own thread instead of crapping on the OPs accomplishment whether you like it or not, which has been my issue with some of yall since my first post in this thread. </div></div>

Tanks for making my point - I <span style="font-style: italic">cannot</span> hit elk vitals from 1100 yards, my standards prohibits me from even trying. But I can hit a hardox plate, hanging in perfect siluette, all white and very easy to distinguish from the background as well as whether is going to take a step forward while my bullet is mid-air or not.. I would also like the opportunity to say that I wouldn't have hit jack without good spotting on that particular day.. he called it, I just pulled the trigger. </div></div>

Actually, thanks for making my point for me. Based on your wealth of experience of one twenty shot string, you assume that these shots are out of the capability of people who have fired thousands of rounds at these ranges. I can appreciate someone being against long range hunting if it is just their morality. Hey different strokes. Since you do not have enough experience to even have a clue about the reliability of hitting elk/sambar sized vitals at these ranges it is just a case of you trying to force your morality on others.

If someone is preaching about it because they have a clue it is a different matter. I now see you fall in the first group. Go fire a couple thousand rounds at 1500 yards then come tell us you are against long range hunting. BTW try it a minimum of a 338Lapua or EDGE such as the OP used. Most people will never own the equipment or work hard enough on loads and shooting to do what the OP did. When you have put in the work to be able to do it, you opinion might carry a little weight. Until then you should quit crapping on the guys accomplishment.

My Edge will move out of the kill-zone at 1000yds with just 2mph of wind. At 1400 yds it is about .75mph. As you know, that is very little. I can watch the weeds at long range to figure out direction, but it would be easy to misjudge winds by 2-3mph if not more. I am not as seasoned as many on here, so maybe some can judge winds within a mph.

BTW, I really like your rifle OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- but I can assure you I would have less problem shooting a home invader threatening my family, than squeezing the trigger on a deer standing 1400 yards away if it came to that. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Please consider your words carefully</span>. The value of human life should never be discounted. I have faced "home invaders" who threatened my family. One such fellow turned out to be a husband, a good father, and a man with a serious substance abuse problem. I am not implying that it is wrong to defend one's family, with deadly force if necessary. But comparing harming a person, to shooting an animal at any distance, is a comparison that should not be made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What your not getting is the only thing that is happening at the target is maybe a small signature and they may hear low noise way of out of their zone of concern, that's the whole point your not disrupting the elk patterns by wading into the middle of them and pushing them of their pattern. Trust me if you do it right they don't have a clue till someone is upside down! And then you just slip in and retriever the animal not thrashing the whole country side pushing animal all over the place in the manner your used to.</div></div>

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll keep doing it my way just the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- but I can assure you I would have less problem shooting a home invader threatening my family, than squeezing the trigger on a deer standing 1400 yards away if it came to that. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Please consider your words carefully</span>. The value of human life should never be discounted. I have faced "home invaders" who threatened my family. One such fellow turned out to be a husband, a good father, and a man with a serious substance abuse problem. I am not implying that it is wrong to defend one's family, with deadly force if necessary. But comparing harming a person, to shooting an animal at any distance, is a comparison that should not be made.

</div></div>

You have a valid point. Let's drop it in favor of the original discussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, thanks for making my point for me. Based on your wealth of experience of one twenty shot string, you assume that these shots are out of the capability of people who have fired thousands of rounds at these ranges. I can appreciate someone being against long range hunting if it is just their morality. Hey different strokes. Since you do not have enough experience to even have a clue about the reliability of hitting elk/sambar sized vitals at these ranges it is just a case of you trying to force your morality on others.

If someone is preaching about it because they have a clue it is a different matter. I now see you fall in the first group. Go fire a couple thousand rounds at 1500 yards then come tell us you are against long range hunting. BTW try it a minimum of a 338Lapua or EDGE such as the OP used. Most people will never own the equipment or work hard enough on loads and shooting to do what the OP did. When you have put in the work to be able to do it, you opinion might carry a little weight. Until then you should quit crapping on the guys accomplishment. </div></div>

Now you've turned to making assumptions, based on the single achievement I described above.. I give you that I don't shoot a .338 1500 yd rifle, but it really doesn't change my opinion regarding deer possibility to move in two seconds, the human eye/optics limitation when it comes to sorting out whether a deer is angular to the trajectory, possibility to misjudge wind at longer ranges etc. etc. - obviously, my max for hunting would be different for a .30 rifle than a .338 rifle, but 1400 yards is well over max regardless which caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helluva shot there man, good on you!
cool.gif

...and F**K the haters!
grin.gif
</div></div>bet you wear jandles hunting ,poach and are from below the Bombay Hills </div></div>
Oh dear... grumpy little armchair hunter aren't you?

All talk and no results to post...? On any forum
wink.gif

Leave the real hunters to it, and go have a Latte.

Ps. South Island, no need to poach when there's this much amazing hunting on public land, right at the doorstep! And it's too cold for jandles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helluva shot there man, good on you!
cool.gif

...and F**K the haters!
grin.gif
</div></div>bet you wear jandles hunting ,poach and are from below the Bombay Hills </div></div>

All talk and no results to post...? On any forum
wink.gif

Leave the real hunters to it, and go have a Latte.
</div></div>

Damn, you cool strong man! Drive Harley without helmet too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helluva shot there man, good on you!
cool.gif

...and F**K the haters!
grin.gif

<span style="color: #CC0000">All talk and no results to post...? On any forum
wink.gif

Leave the real hunters to it, and go have a Latte.</span>

Ps. South Island, no need to poach when there's this much amazing hunting on public land, right at the doorstep! And it's too cold for jandles! </div></div>

I gave hunting away years ago but if I still hunted I would have zero interest talking about killing animals -Im a shooter not a hunter.
I am the current champion of the largest nra club in the country -ex north island field trial champ with bird dogs
and I drink English breakfast tea-white and one,NOT LATTE!

First of all to the OP, great shot!

Now there's no such thing as a 100% confident shot when it comes to hunting. Whether you're 50 yds or 1000 yds away and have shot thousands of rounds from that setup there are always other factors involved. It always seems like discussions like this are about deer and nothing else. What about pheasants for instance. I've shot a lot of pheasants over the years and if I only ever shot the ones that I 100% without a shadow of a doubt knew I was going to instantly kill dead so it didn't suffer the tiniest bit, I still wouldn't know what pheasant tastes like!

Cazorp, you mentioned a wasp stinging the deer while the bullet's in flight. If we're going to pull such extravagant what ifs out the air I've got one for you. What about when the wasp stings you when you're ready to pull the trigger after sneaking close enough to count the hairs on the bucks balls which seems to be how close you think someone needs to be to confidently make a clean kill. Nothing is guaranteed.

It's up to the hunter to decide whether he wants to take the shot or not. People hunt differently and there will always be arguments about ethics. The bottom line is if you don't like a way of hunting then don't do it! But coming on an internet forum and hounding a guy about a fantastic shot that he's proud of, and should be for that matter, because you think he shouldn't have taken it is childish and a complete waste. You're not going to change anyone's mind.

As long as people hunt, animals are going to be wounded. It's unfortunate but such is life. As long as you can go home at the end of the day and be happy with how your hunt went and the decisions you made, then that's good enough for me. If you want to continue to hunt and never wound another animal, let's be realistic it's going to happen sometime, then you might want to check out Cabela's line of Big Game Hunter games. I'm pretty sure no animals were harmed in the making or playing of those games.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all to the OP, great shot!

Now there's no such thing as a 100% confident shot when it comes to hunting. </div></div>

Agreed, can you agree on that there's is a scale - 100% confident shot <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> taken, 99,9% confident shots on short range and 50/50 or 75/25% or 25/75% extra long range shots then? Everything comes into play on ELR-shots, 0,1 grain difference, bad call on wind, wrong temperature/muzzle velocity on ammo - that wont affect the outcome on a 200 yd shot on elk-sized game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cazorp, you mentioned a wasp stinging the deer while the bullet's in flight. If we're going to pull such extravagant what ifs out the air I've got one for you. What about when the wasp stings you when you're ready to pull the trigger after sneaking close enough to count the hairs on the bucks balls which seems to be how close you think someone needs to be to confidently make a clean kill. Nothing is guaranteed. </div></div>

Could absolutely happen, that's one of the reasons why I don't hunt with feather-light triggers on my hunting rifles but rather learn how to take a confident, conscious shot. I am not too worried that a wasp sting would make me jerk the trigger actually, but as you say, lightning can strike from blue skies too..

That is good shooting

What I have seen first-hand is a lot of “hunters” will only shoot one box of ammo (maybe) and will tell you he is set to take a 200 to 300yd shot at game because that 25-06 is a “flat shooter”. When they are throwing 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 with a coat as a rest. I do not know how many deer I have had to put down because of slobs. These are the same guys who will take off hand running 100 or 200 yd shots and never look for blood if the deer just does not drop. They are also usually the ones who drive everything in their pickup truck and only walk a few feet after driving to the shot game.

These are the same guys who will tell me I am all kinds of F***ed up for killing deer over 1,000yds or even attempting it. After the dust settles out and months go by and we are telling hunting stories they will tell the one about how they shoot a deer at 500 or some other number that is not true. But they still stick to the old line “that is too far to shoot”. I have shot up more barrels than firearms owned by many “hunters”.

So how far is too far? That is up to each person not a TV program to take responsibility for. We need to take responsibility for our actions. These shows on TV or YouTube videos are only showing what is capable of happening not how everyone should do it.

How much power is too much power? That must be a trick question. I thought more was better.

Here in ND we can not use any 50cal rifle to shoot deer. It is cool to use a bata-C mag but no 50 cal rifles for hunting. Kind of stupid I know. I talked to the Game and Fish guy and he feels that it allows a person to shoot tooooooooooooo far for deer. Seriously I am not making that up. Apparently he has not ever shot over a few hundred yds. I asked how far is too far. I was told “that is nothing we can regulate some guys can shoot way out there”. So my follow-up was then why can’t a person use a 50BMG rifle? I was told “it allows a person to shoot too far”. Back when I had a 50BMG there was no magic shooting fairy that would miracle those 750gr A-max bullets on game. I can tell when continuing to talk is just wasting breath. He was just some person who probably saw those anti 50BMG clips on 60 min. Little does he know there are many other rifles that do it better at 2,000yds than the 50BMG can. Granted they do not hit as hard. I always thought a rifle that hit harder was better than on that does not. Apparently the Game and Fish wants deer dead not harvested hence the bata-c option and no 50BMG rifles.

Shooting long range is hard when you do not know what is going on but that is why we practice. Then it is doable. I would like to see a shooting skills test administered every year to be allowed to hunt big game.

Screw the deer or elk.

What about the unsuspecting hunter stalking the deer at the 100 yard range and someone is shooting at the same deer from 1,400 yards. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the unsuspecting hunter stalking the deer at the 100 yard range and someone is shooting at the same deer from 1,400 yards? </div></div>

I suggest the short range stalker shoot one shot in the air as soon as the animal goes down, then claim the kill as their own. I mean seriously, who's story would you believe, the guy who says he killed a big elk at 100, or the guy who says he killed it at 3/4 mile, then had it stolen?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the unsuspecting hunter stalking the deer at the 100 yard range and someone is shooting at the same deer from 1,400 yards? </div></div>

I suggest the short range stalker shoot one shot in the air as soon as the animal goes down, then claim the kill as their own. I mean seriously, who's story would you believe, the guy who says he killed a big elk at 100, or the guy who says he killed it at 3/4 mile, then had it stolen?

</div></div>

WOW!!! Holey negligent shooting batman! Shooting a rifle into the air is totally unacceptable.

There is a thread about this on another forum. It has happened to me a couple times with doe’s and once with a OK buck. I just let them have it. As I am watching these idiots steel my deer I was thinking, what are they thinking? I just shot it from way over here do you think you are not in range? If it was a trophy I would make my claim to it and if they were going to steel it any way sure please do so. At any rate I just get to shoot another deer or game animal.

If you really care just call the game and fish or DNR or whatever they are called in your state and plead your case. More than likely if the game warden ever seen your rifle with an almost 2,000 scope on it they will let you have the animal. This is of course if it really mattered to you. In my case I have a camera mount to video this kind of stuff threw my spotting scope so I would just shot the game warden the tape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It has happened to me a couple times with doe’s and once with a OK buck. </div></div>

LOLOLOLOLOLOL That's hilarious! Dude, I was totally kidding! You seriously had this happen to you? I'm going to be laughing all day just thinking about it.

I should point out that if this really did happen to you, you were taking shots with a person/people between you and the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Regardless what, I call for bragging rights for closest kill for upcoming season, happy hunting and keep your distance ethic! </div></div>

I'm at 15 feet for closest this year.

I'm at six inches with a prison shank :p No not really I just love how anything can turn into a Pissing match lol

I've always liked this quote, not sure where I found it or who wrote it, but it seems to come up from time to time....

"I mean, is there some magical range at which it becomes shooting rather than hunting?

There are the muzzleloader/.45-70/.30-30 crowd that says anything over some arbitrary range is unethical and more shooting than hunting. Then there is the .30-06 crowd that says anything over some other longer arbitrary distance is unethical and is more shooting than hunting. Then there is the magnum crowd with their own arbitrary and highly theoritical maximum engagement distance.

Then there is me. I am just sick of hearing people extrapolate their own capabilities and ethics on others. The maximum ethical range a hunter should be engaging game is almost entirely individual. It depends on the skill of the hunter, his/her equipment, and the environmental/external circumstances at the time. "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It has happened to me a couple times with doe&#146;s and once with a OK buck. </div></div>

LOLOLOLOLOLOL That's hilarious! Dude, I was totally kidding! You seriously had this happen to you? I'm going to be laughing all day just thinking about it.

I should point out that if this really did happen to you, you were taking shots with a person/people between you and the target.

</div></div>

Every time it has happened it was like am I really seeing this? I have a few spots that I can get into even with orange on I can be hardly be seen. It has happened the deer were by a road with easy access. There was no one near the shots it has always been a person that comes past a few minutes later. I learned my lesson a long time ago when shooting long range sit and watch it for a good 15 to 30 min before going to it. You never know it may just get up. If it does shoot it again. So I was watching and along comes a pickup and it stops and a rifle pops out the window then a guy jumped out and looked at it with binoculars. My brother said I bet you they take it. I said they will not. Any way two guys walked over to the deer seen it was still warm and drug it to their pickup and drove off. My brother was laughing I was looking down range with my range finder dumbstruck at what I has saw.

The other deer it has happened with are very similar stories. That is why I now bring my camera with. Not that I have any plans on turning them in. I just want to post it on YouTube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...It has happened to me a couple times with doe’s and once with a OK buck....
</div></div>

Holy f*ck, I do not envy you at all there, sounds a bit crowded? assumingly with people who has "bag limits" on state owned land or something like that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the poor prarie dogs? They all look so frightened. I have even some missing legs.

Who will donate to the plight of the poor prarie dogs?

Only $18.00 a month can save up to 5 prarie dogs.

(That is if I can get enough of you bleeding hearts to donate). </div></div>

LOL... That's funny!

That has to be the first time i have ever heard of any one saying one of the dakotas as being crowded. The way it works is you apply for a lotery tag and if drawn can hunt the county or area like in nd on either public or private land if you have permision. Also in nd private land has to be posted other wise any one can hunt it. Just one of those dumb luck things hell we had a guy take a doe my freind shot with his bow. Thought it was still alive and put a sneak on it and put another arrow in the dead deer. We watched the whole thing from the pickup just sat there in awe. Holy shit did that just happen is about all we could say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's really no argument or level of skill that covers the fact that at long range the animal has every opportunity to move and turn a good kill into needless maiming.

The ego can make excuses to explain a wide range of dumb behavior. Against the logic of physics however it's seen for what it is to those who can look at the facts as they are.

Karma can be cruel, and for those who are willing to let other creatures and people suffer the consequences of their ego I hope it is swift. </div></div>

It is a vicious food chain out there.

Where do you draw the line between what you eat and what eats you? When's the last time you had bacon and eggs? Or a big juicy steak? Think those animals die humanely? Stop the crap, you and those like you in this thread. You cry for the poor wounded deer but let the wounded feral hog go without a thought. May your karma (what the fuck is karma?) be swift you hypocrite.

Careful what you wish for.

Brian I think you need to shut up about this subject you will not change anyone's opinion about long range hunting , you have however confirmed to everyone on the Hide that you are a troll , you have no valid argument so you are now resorting to name childish calling .

I don't care what you think about ELR shooting , long range hunting or for anything as a matter as a fact .

You are irrational you can't discuss a simple topic like an adult , you also think if you can't do it know one can , you are the poster child for retroactive abortion please remove your self from the gene pool .

Irrational ,that's funny -you should read your post.lol
Seems to me many are against the subject of long range ego kills -the posts have grown a shit load since the first time I raised it at the beginning of this thread -Im sure others can think for themselves and don't need you telling them that no ones opinion on the matter will change after this "clean " exchange of views .A troll you call me -your a joke here,s what I think of your post

http://www.eversostrange.com/2011/09/15/hippo-spray-poo-tails/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian I think you need to shut up about this subject you will not change anyone's opinion about long range hunting , you have however confirmed to everyone on the Hide that you are a troll , you have no valid argument so you are now resorting to name childish calling .

I don't care what you think about ELR shooting , long range hunting or for anything as a matter as a fact .

You are irrational you can't discuss a simple topic like an adult , you also think if you can't do it know one can , you are the poster child for retroactive abortion please remove your self from the gene pool . </div></div>

Nope, youre not making a strong point, hit us with arguments and skip the retarded BS - in fact, I think youre the (spamming) troll here..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's really no argument or level of skill that covers the fact that at long range the animal has every opportunity to move and turn a good kill into needless maiming.

The ego can make excuses to explain a wide range of dumb behavior. Against the logic of physics however it's seen for what it is to those who can look at the facts as they are.

Karma can be cruel, and for those who are willing to let other creatures and people suffer the consequences of their ego I hope it is swift. </div></div>

It is a vicious food chain out there.

Where do you draw the line between what you eat and what eats you? When's the last time you had bacon and eggs? Or a big juicy steak? Think those animals die humanely? Stop the crap, you and those like you in this thread. You cry for the poor wounded deer but let the wounded feral hog go without a thought. May your karma (what the fuck is karma?) be swift you hypocrite.

Careful what you wish for. </div></div>

Im pretty confident Sambar or any other deer wont eat you though.. = good to go within 1400 yd without fear of getting eaten (although they might carry a tic or two..)

What some people in the US do in the name of huntig to the feral pigs isnt anything you should be proud of, but I can understand that there is sometimes a need for drastic methods, a neccesary evil, but posting that crap on youtube and calling it "hunting" is just appalling..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What some people in the US do in the name of huntig to the feral pigs isnt anything you should be proud of, but I can understand that there is sometimes a need for drastic methods, a neccesary evil, but posting that crap on youtube and calling it "hunting" is just appalling.. </div></div>

Tell us what you know about feral pigs, Cazorp? Or is this just another subject you do not have a clue about, but are ready to impose your beliefs? Tell me how the feral pigs have invaded your property and what you have to done to stem the tide? Explain to us poor ignorant Americans how to stop them in the most humane manner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What some people in the US do in the name of huntig to the feral pigs isnt anything you should be proud of, but I can understand that there is sometimes a need for drastic methods, a neccesary evil, but posting that crap on youtube and calling it "hunting" is just appalling.. </div></div>

Tell us what you know about feral pigs, Cazorp? Or is this just another subject you do not have a clue about, but are ready to impose your beliefs? Tell me how the feral pigs have invaded your property and what you have to done to stem the tide? Explain to us poor ignorant Americans how to stop them in the most humane manner. </div></div>

I know one thing for sure, feral means humans put them there in the first place..

We got wild boars over here as well, creating problems for land owners and farmers, but a good healthy hunting pressure can control the population is what we experience, and people will pay good money for both meat and the hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Tell us what you know about feral pigs, Cazorp? Or is this just another subject you do not have a clue about, but are ready to impose your beliefs? Tell me how the feral pigs have invaded your property and what you have to done to stem the tide? Explain to us poor ignorant Americans how to stop them in the most humane manner. </div></div>

I know one thing for sure, feral means humans put them there in the first place..

We got wild boars over here as well, creating problems for land owners and farmers, but a good healthy hunting pressure can control the population is what we experience, and people will pay good money for both meat and the hunt.
</div></div>

Duhhh domesticated animals gone wild. WTF does that have to do with controlling the population, is that your attempt to show us your intelligence in knowing the term "feral?" So basically you do not own any land that has been over run with wild pigs moving in, and as per usual do not have a clue. Thought so.

Hunting pressure does nothing but make these pigs slicker than snot and impossible to get out of the thickets. Your distaste for people shooting them is countered by the bright idea of , lets see.....shooting them. Laffin. If you want to get rid of pigs here you are going to have to trap, shoot on site, and send dogs after them. Once again your pansy dreams of nirvana with all of nature fall short of the realities.

Don't yo have any more tips for us poor ignorant Americans to control our piggie problems? Or how we should do anything else for that matter, your input is most enjoyed.