• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1426 yard deer

Re: 1426 yard deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harry989</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell of a lot more wounded game is lost to idiots in tree stands with bows than people taking 1000+ yard shots...And they are "close"! </div></div>

We have shot deer during gun season with arrow wounds, one even had a broken arrow in its front shoulder.

Nice shot! </div></div>

Call me a bitch, and pretty off-topic - but I don't like bowhunting either
wink.gif
</div></div>

"Don´t be beeech"
grin.gif

oh boy. you went and stirred up the firearm vs bow debate lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I like extreme long range shooting, but I'm talking about hunting here. I am certain it was a competent shot, but that doesn't make it right, I mean - people like you might try to imitate it.

Regardless what, I call for bragging rights for the closest kill for the upcoming season, happy hunting and keep your distance ethical! </div></div>

Here's an idea, how about you live your life by your morals and ethics, and I'll do the same! If the man wants to train himself to take a shot at a deer at 1500 yds, and then does so, who am I to stop him?! Keep YOUR morals and YOUR ethics off of other people. He isn't hurting you, or any other human being by doing what he's doing so shut your pie hole!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I like extreme long range shooting, but I'm talking about hunting here. I am certain it was a competent shot, but that doesn't make it right, I mean - people like you might try to imitate it.

Regardless what, I call for bragging rights for the closest kill for the upcoming season, happy hunting and keep your distance ethical! </div></div>

Here's an idea, how about you live your life by your morals and ethics, and I'll do the same! If the man wants to train himself to take a shot at a deer at 1500 yds, and then does so, who am I to stop him?! Keep YOUR morals and YOUR ethics off of other people. He isn't hurting you, or any other human being by doing what he's doing so shut your pie hole! </div></div>It appears Sagebrushshooter maybe your morals and ethics fall way short of the mark when it comes to keeping in mind the animal which can so easily loose a jaw or take a gut shot and run .

1000 yard plus shots are hit and miss otherwise those that claim the fame would probably be our world champ shooters .

Hopefully you can arise to the heights of those that choose not to cause pain and suffering to game animals just to appease their prowess of long shots!!

Wadcutter,
That is some impressive shooting , and shows a great deal of <span style="font-weight: bold">dedication and training </span>on your part to become skilled enough to make a shot like that.
Congrats!

Those who cannot do bitch. Kind of sounds like another saying I know. You have the correct equipment, skills, and training. There are many "hunters" that have shitty equipment, no skill, and absolutely no training, but its "ethical" for them to take out the ol ot 6 and shoot at a moving target no mater the distance. Elmer Fud comes to mind.
Also, remember when a 300 yrd shot was long range? Times are a changing people and so will " long range" . Anyone who is the first to do supomething is usually dogged for it.

Keep up the great shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirtdigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who cannot do bitch. Kind of sounds like another saying I know. You have the correct equipment, skills, and training. There are many "hunters" that have shitty equipment, no skill, and absolutely no training, but its "ethical" for them to take out the ol ot 6 and shoot at a moving target no mater the distance. Elmer Fud comes to mind.
Also, remember when a 300 yrd shot was long range? Times are a changing people and so will " long range" . Anyone who is the first to do supomething is usually dogged for it.

Keep up the great shooting. </div></div>

Ok, I can address that. I can, but I wont, I rather do steel and paper at those ranges, less consequences for everybody involved, and I don't need to prove myself, since I can stalk at least 70-80% of that distance easily without getting spotted by the deer.

I don't consider my equipment shitty, S&B PMII 5-25x56, AI AW, Leica BRF Geovid rangefinder - I should be more than prepared for this kind of extreme range hunting, but I choose to not.

Shooting at moving game is always going to be a tricky question, judgement and preparation is essential, but I am one of those who generally rather take my hat off, than risk the shot, there will be other chances.

300 yards will always be 300 yards, and 1426 yards likewise when it comes to a few aspects;

1. Wind, always harder to determine wind when the distance increases.

2. Time, bullet flight time is still going to be 2 seconds - you cannot eliminate all factors, like the deer getting stung by a wasp, scared by a bird, noticing something that youre not even remotely close to be able to notice, and yes - all those can happen on a 100 yard shot as well, but then we only have .1 second flight time to worry about.

2. Everything else related to human limitations, not being straight behind the rifle, jerking the trigger a bit to one side, missing out on shoulder contact might not show on your average 100 yard 5 shot group, but when shooting at these extreme long ranges everything goes from micro to macro-mode instantly.

So, why take chances? Hammer down steel instead, and learn the sheer excitement of stalking closer to your pray - its all the "sniper-factor" any hunter can ask for, without involving an extreme risk for any prey..

So, why take chances? Hammer down steel instead, and learn the sheer excitement of stalking closer to your pray - its all the "sniper-factor" any hunter can ask for, without involving an extreme risk for any prey.. [/quote]

I'm trying to kill it, that is as extreme as it gets, peroid.

The man made a good shot, I didn't see where the animal suffered.
We have all made a bad shot at some point and had to track the animal. It happens, hunting is not an exact science. There have been more irresponsable shots taken at closer ranges. The shooter was prepared with equipment and training. A bee did not sting the deer, the deer did not stumble on a pebble and the sun did not explode.
Listing all the possibilites that that could have happened is a waste of time.

Just so I'm clear, cazorp that was not directed at you or anyone in specfic. I just don't like when someone gets grilled for being the guy that pushes the envelope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirtdigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who cannot do bitch. Kind of sounds like another saying I know. You have the correct equipment, skills, and training. There are many "hunters" that have shitty equipment, no skill, and absolutely no training, but its "ethical" for them to take out the ol ot 6 and shoot at a moving target no mater the distance. Elmer Fud comes to mind.

Keep up the great shooting. </div></div>
I shoot 1000 yards often enough and have F-n awesome gear and Im a fairly reasonable shot .At over 1000 yards over different terrain I note the amount of shots I am off by 2foot or so before I make that hit -1st round hit at distance over 1000 yards are about good body rifle combo ,good ammo , optics clicking right , great wind calling and a fair bit of luck that that wind call is good through the full distance .

Light winds 1-5 are easier over that distance but with highs and lows in the wind its "easy" for your shot to deviate off enough to make it a potential wound and have a running animal .

To say your good enough to make these long shots consistantly and not leave wounded animals in the feild is in my mind just hoping for the best and not an ethical way to hunt .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirtdigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so I'm clear, cazorp that was not directed at you or anyone in specfic. I just don't like when someone gets grilled for being the guy that pushes the envelope. </div></div>

I'm just thinking what the response would be if I posted a video

"Hi, I just shot a deer in the leg from 1400 yards, here's the movie and no, we never found him unfortunately".

Shit happens, some people can make it happen and some just sit back and complain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daniel308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit happens, some people can make it happen and some just sit back and complain. </div></div>

I hope you realize we are talking sub MOA stuff at this distance for a vital zone hit on a normal deer = 1 mph misjudgment on wind means vital zone hit, or not - 2 mph misjudgment means a miss basically.

It would have been a helluva impressive CBS on steel or paper, but on living prey I consider it only reckless..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daniel308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit happens, some people can make it happen and some just sit back and complain. </div></div> I think you should have said some people make shit happen that makes people complain like long shots that are missed and cause animal pain and suffering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears Sagebrushshooter maybe your morals and ethics fall way short of the mark when it comes to keeping in mind the animal which can so easily loose a jaw or take a gut shot and run .

1000 yard plus shots are hit and miss otherwise those that claim the fame would probably be our world champ shooters .

Hopefully you can arise to the heights of those that choose not to cause pain and suffering to game animals just to appease their prowess of long shots!! </div></div>

Look, I don't like the idea of animals needlessly suffering either. The point is this, the guy didn't miss his shot. It's not your place, or mine for that matter, to tell him how to hunt or conduct himself in his adult life. He isn't hurting you, or me, or any other human by doing what he's doing. He didn't cause the animal undo suffering either, so leave him alone.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears Sagebrushshooter maybe your morals and ethics fall way short of the mark when it comes to keeping in mind the animal which can so easily loose a jaw or take a gut shot and run .

Hopefully you can arise to the heights of those that choose not to cause pain and suffering to game animals just to appease their prowess of long shots!! </div></div>

Look, I don't like the idea of animals needlessly suffering either. The point is this, the guy didn't miss his shot. It's not your place, or mine for that matter, to tell him how to hunt or conduct himself in his adult life. He isn't hurting you, or me, or any other human by doing what he's doing. He didn't cause the animal undo suffering either, so leave him alone.

-SBS </div></div> This is where you are wrong sir , it is upto us to make comment .

Fellow shooters should voice what they see through experiance as acceptable or unacceptable standards for shooting an animal .This particular shot was executed well , no problem in that fact but it raises the question should we all be doing it ? How much practice does one need before doing it , how many wounded animals need to run in pain before the long shots are perfected -which I might add never will be perfected becuase the of the nature of shooting .No one is actually bagging personally our Aussi friend who origianlly posted but more so the concept of what has been posted .

Okay we know what your position is. Some of us do not agree, you will never change our minds on the internet. Some of us know what kind of dedication it takes to reliably and humanely take an animal at that range. The OP put in his time, quit crapping on his accomplishment. Go start your own thread about the evils of long range hunting if it horns you up that much. You should not base the ability of others on your own limitations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirtdigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so I'm clear, cazorp that was not directed at you or anyone in specfic. I just don't like when someone gets grilled for being the guy that pushes the envelope. </div></div>

I'm just thinking what the response would be if I posted a video

"Hi, I just shot a deer in the leg from 1400 yards, here's the movie and no, we never found him unfortunately". </div></div>

Well i'm only guessing here, but if you or I tried that shot you would be more than likely correct with that statement.

Point is he made it...end of story.

Dont want to start an internet pissing match, just tell the guy nice shot, quit playing mom, and if short shots are your thing use a knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay we know what your position is. Some of us do not agree, you will never change our minds on the internet. Some of us know what kind of dedication it takes to reliably and humanely take an animal at that range. The OP put in his time, quit crapping on his accomplishment. Go start your own thread about the evils of long range hunting if it horns you up that much. You should not base the ability of others on your own limitations. </div></div>

+1

It is just a deer. I don't understand the problem.

Long range hunting and long range shooting are also very different in my book. It is exponentially harder to hit a live animal at or past 1000 yards than it is paper or steel. It takes a professional shooter to make a shot that far and take the game. 1426 yards on an elk sized game is a very impressive shot.

Great shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting Wadcutter but I gotta say I think a shot at that distance on a large animal like a Sambar is a little irresponsible .Its not an easy shot and a stray bullet can easy take of a jaw and leave that animal to suffer -please think about this before doing these distances -still nice shooting </div></div>

what about the poor starving coyotes? there soooo hungry
sickcoyote.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is where you are wrong sir , it is upto us to make comment .

Fellow shooters should voice what they see through experiance as acceptable or unacceptable standards for shooting an animal .This particular shot was executed well , no problem in that fact but it raises the question should we all be doing it ? How much practice does one need before doing it , how many wounded animals need to run in pain before the long shots are perfected -which I might add never will be perfected becuase the of the nature of shooting .No one is actually bagging personally our Aussi friend who origianlly posted but more so the concept of what has been posted . </div></div>

This is exactly what I was getting at. This is the difference between someone who believes in individual liberty vs. someone who does not understand it. You feel you have a right to tell this guy how he should hunt. His experience as to what is an acceptable distance to engage an animal is very different than yours. You feel the need to impose your own personal ethics on him because you believe yours to be better than his. I leave it up to him to decide, because I believe people can figure these things out on there own (individual liberty) with out someone like you telling them the "right" way or "wrong way" to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is where you are wrong sir , it is upto us to make comment .

Fellow shooters should voice what they see through experiance as acceptable or unacceptable standards for shooting an animal .This particular shot was executed well , no problem in that fact but it raises the question should we all be doing it ? How much practice does one need before doing it , how many wounded animals need to run in pain before the long shots are perfected -which I might add never will be perfected becuase the of the nature of shooting .No one is actually bagging personally our Aussi friend who origianlly posted but more so the concept of what has been posted . </div></div>

This is exactly what I was getting at. This is the difference between someone who believes in individual liberty vs. someone who does not understand it. You feel you have a right to tell this guy how he should hunt. His experience as to what is an acceptable distance to engage an animal is very different than yours. You feel the need to impose your own personal ethics on him because you believe yours to be better than his. I leave it up to him to decide, because I believe people can figure these things out on there own (individual liberty) with out someone like you telling them the "right" way or "wrong way" to do it. </div></div>I fully understand personal liberty but that does not give me a free license to act how I want just because I want to as that would be anarchy -there are laws and a codes of hunting practice that need to be observed and not flouted while nobody watching you . I think you should go back and read my posts concerning attacking the OP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is where you are wrong sir , it is upto us to make comment .

This is exactly what I was getting at. This is the difference between someone who believes in individual liberty vs. someone who does not understand it. You feel you have a right to tell this guy how he should hunt. His experience as to what is an acceptable distance to engage an animal is very different than yours. You feel the need to impose your own personal ethics on him because you believe yours to be better than his. I leave it up to him to decide, because I believe people can figure these things out on there own (individual liberty) with out someone like you telling them the "right" way or "wrong way" to do it. </div></div>

It's funny you mention good ol' Liberty.. Speed limits didn't happen because people <span style="font-style: italic">weren't</span> driving to fast.

There is a saying in Sweden among hunters, "You'll never regret a shot you didn't fire."

Apply this rule to your hunting and I believe we will have our liberty while hunting for many years to come..

Idiots who complain about the ethics of long range hunting should be protesting bow hunting instead, with its 50 percent loss rate on deer and 2/3on elk.

Great shot by the way.

Some interesting comments from the anti long range hunting mob. That's typical and nothing new to me. I get a lot of it down here from others that have no idea of what I do.

The funny thing is that I agree with a lot of what they say. Inexperienced shooters should not shoot further than their ability.

I will try and give you some insight into this shot.

To start with I am very experienced at long range. I have practiced out to past 2000 yards on a regular basis. At this exact location I practice regularly out to 1800 yards and know the area like the back of my hand.

On the day of the shot I passed up shots at 8 other deer because the conditions were not quite right. Some were under 700 yards. Later in the afternoon the wind dropped off to dead still. A group of deer were quietly feeding on a face that I have practiced on.

I got excellent distance readings and the deer were very quiet. I know their habits and they stand quite still for periods at a time. If you study the footage you will see the deer step up, turn side on and put its head down to feed. This was the exact oportunity that I had been waiting for and took the shot. It was no surprise to me that the deer went down. That is what was suppose to happen!

If there was any wind what so ever I would have been happy with just the video footage. Just like I was with the other deer I saw that day.

Long range hunting is not for everyone. I have killed my fair share of deer at close range. I find it too easy and like the challenge of long range hunting. A clean shot at long range is the end result of a lot of disciplin, practice and skill developement.

Thanks for sharing Wadcutter, obviously you seem to be a person who doesn't throw off rounds hoping to get lucky for a youtube brag.

I believe I wouldn't have written my initial post in this thread, if this information had been present in your original post, however this doesn't change my personal view on what I consider being "too bloody long" to eliminate the obvious possibility of failure, so if you want to impress me, dont be a bludger and start crawling next time
wink.gif

Darned good shooting. I, personally, would not have taken the shot, because I would not feel confident of making it. I do almost all my shooting on my own range, and am limited to 200 yds. You, on the other hand, have the skill and practice to make the shot. Here in Georgia, where I hunt, a hundred yard shot is rare, 25 yards is more close to average.
I have no problem with such long range shooting. I am envious.....
Thanks for sharing.

Very good post Wadcutter!! Since starting to take game at long range I've passed on more shots than ever before, I pay more attention to more variables than ever. Having the ability to read conditions and make a LR shot has made my hunting at normal ranges a 100% better, not that I was having issues but now when I pull up at 200yrds I expect a little more than to put it into the vitals.

Wadcutter,

Excellent shooting! I am like the guy you describe who shouldn't be taking that shot. But, I'll dang sure take one out to 600 or so. I just don't get enough long range practice where I'm at here to do that. But, I'll tell you, if the opportunity came along I'd be out there every day measuring myself against that terrain and range..

To Cazorp.

I find it offensive that you come on here and want to lecture us about guns and long range. You live in Sweden where due to the public allowing unreasonable taxes on guns...and registration of them, you've lost most of them. While we in America have benefitted from all the 9.3x57's and x62's and other great guns from the fallout of those new laws, we've also come to realize that's one more country getting their guns taken away and those 'world leading individuals' who want to take ours are that much closer. Then you want to come on here and lecture us about freedom. Earn your own before you come back here and tell us how it's done.

Ch'e,

You people have already gone to registering firearms owners. So, you have to ask your governments permission to own one and maintain that permission.

I'll just say when it comes to worrying abut what someone can and can't do....check your own back yard first.

I think if anyone values what he is allowed to do it is Wadcutter, whose country has already given up handguns. And rifles being on the edge now as well. So, how about a hearty congratulations and leave it at that eh?

Again, Wadcutter, great shooting.

Nice Shooting. That was an amazing video.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dustin Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like alot of people get a little pissy when a shot gets made that they arnt capable of making. Great shooting!

Dustin</div></div>

My thoughts exactly. Great shot man!

"Give the animal a chance..."

Hahahaha!
That's hilarious! The animal had 2 friggin' seconds of flight time! That's a heck of a lot more chance than I give them from 100-600 yards.

I wouldn't take that shot because I'm not confidently proficient at that distance...yet. Maybe someday.

Wadcutter, amazing shot! Thanks for posting it.

My son studied computer science with another boy who's parents have property they call the Elk graveyard. Every year multiple bull elk come to their property to die, with arrows stuck in them.

I blame the game department for giving preference to obsolete weapons like bows and muzzle loaders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I find it offensive that you come on here and want to lecture us about guns and long range. You live in Sweden where due to the public allowing unreasonable taxes on guns...and registration of them, you've lost most of them. While we in America have benefitted from all the 9.3x57's and x62's and other great guns from the fallout of those new laws, we've also come to realize that's one more country getting their guns taken away and those 'world leading individuals' who want to take ours are that much closer. Then you want to come on here and lecture us about freedom. Earn your own before you come back here and tell us how it's done.

Ch'e,

You people have already gone to registering firearms owners. So, you have to ask your governments permission to own one and maintain that permission.

I'll just say when it comes to worrying abut what someone can and can't do....check your own back yard first.
</div></div>

First off, I do not support what Cazorp has written, and will be the first to praise long range shots like this.

But come on, your post is just full of BS. What does ones country has do do with anything? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Whether a shooter/hunter comes fom America, Sweden, Australia or whatever country has NOTHING to do with his skillset. FYI, Sweden is one of the countries with the highest number of firearms per captia, and has a long hunting tradition. Further on, Sweden IS actually a free country, there is more than just one free country in the world.

As I get it, you think the opinion of a shooter from Sweden is less worth than a shooter from America? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, or if I misunderstood what you meant about your post. If I didn't, I have to admit I was a bit surprised that this BS post came from such an experienced forum member who otherwise writes great, serious and informative posts.

Wadcutter; fantastic shooting, keep it up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wadcutter,

Excellent shooting! I am like the guy you describe who shouldn't be taking that shot. But, I'll dang sure take one out to 600 or so. I just don't get enough long range practice where I'm at here to do that. But, I'll tell you, if the opportunity came along I'd be out there every day measuring myself against that terrain and range..

To Cazorp.

Ch'e,

I think if anyone values what he is allowed to do it is Wadcutter, whose country has already given up handguns. And rifles being on the edge now as well. So, how about a hearty congratulations and leave it at that eh?

</div></div>

So the summary of that rant is that you are American and because other people don't do it your way they are not allowed to comment on ethics?

So free speech applies to you but is denied everyone else?

'Interesting' viewpoint, with a short response

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

To Cazorp.

</div></div>

You sure seem to know alot about Sweden that's news for me.. Good for you! Wear that tin foil hat with pride..

Some interesting comments from the anti long range hunting mob. That's typical and nothing new to me. I get a lot of it down here from others that have no idea of what I do.

The funny thing is that I agree with a lot of what they say. Inexperienced shooters should not shoot further than their ability.

I will try and give you some insight into this shot.

To start with I am very experienced at long range. I have practiced out to past 2000 yards on a regular basis. At this exact location I practice regularly out to 1800 yards and know the area like the back of my hand.

On the day of the shot I passed up shots at 8 other deer because the conditions were not quite right. Some were under 700 yards. Later in the afternoon the wind dropped off to dead still. A group of deer were quietly feeding on a face that I have practiced on.

I got excellent distance readings and the deer were very quiet. I know their habits and they stand quite still for periods at a time. If you study the footage you will see the deer step up, turn side on and put its head down to feed. This was the exact oportunity that I had been waiting for and took the shot. It was no surprise to me that the deer went down. That is what was suppose to happen!

If there was any wind what so ever I would have been happy with just the video footage. Just like I was with the other deer I saw that day.

Long range hunting is not for everyone. I have killed my fair share of deer at close range. I find it too easy and like the challenge of long range hunting. A clean shot at long range is the end result of a lot of disciplin, practice and skill developement.

To Cazorp.

Ch'e,

</div></div>Thanks for posting your conditions of shot Wadcutter, it would have been alot easier given the stillness of the time and lack of movement of the deer and TO BOOT a great shot .

In saying that you and I both know how easy it is to loose a shot like that with the smallest puff of wind or bad movement when shooting or a bullet that has a neck tension different to the next one .To think you can make the clean kill shot at these distances every time isn't likely -I am sure you can read into this it is not an attack on you personally but that others will want to be long range hero's and do more bad than good and that should be discouraged .You have hunted and gathered experience for a long time and have seen the goons in the NZ bush and know the types I am talking about .So many hunters just cant say no and just have to pull the trigger and have a go .
By the way what did you do with that animal ? I have shot a few Samba and know they taste like old leather , so much so the next year I went Samabar hunting I pretended to shoot shoot them -yes ! pretended and I could have shot a few LOL

Sand warrior , I don't really know where all the stuff you wrote about came from as we are really speaking about protecting animals from unneeded harm by pop shot wanna be animal sniping hero cowboys -you should probably give an apology to our Scandinavian members for that rant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wadcutter,

To Cazorp.

Ch'e,

</div></div>

So the summary of that rant is that you are American and because other people don't do it your way they are not allowed to comment on ethics?

So free speech applies to you but is denied everyone else?

'Interesting' viewpoint, with a short response</div></div>

The summary of the rant is, he has enough problems in his own back yard with "who should and who shouldn't." They just dumped millions on the international market because of taxes for keeping them. He should worry about that and not how far a shot Wadcutter takes.

I'll tell you this, every year my gun club puts on a 'deer rifle sight-in.' There are plenty of people who come to that who really don't need to be shooting past 100 yds. That is with modern firearms. None of them practice, hardly any of them take advice. I've had to stop people from shooting because they don't even listen to our members who run the range and tell them which target to shoot. And there is about 10-15 every year that can barely keep it on paper @ 200 yds. and they want us to take them to the 300.

All I can say is they are the people I don't believe should be shooting deer. But, I don't because it is their right (notice how I didn't say privilege).

What Wadcutter has done is take it upon himself personally, to see through with his training and know he is spot on and complete the shot successfully.

So, as far as free speech goes, lets just say we are both practicing it. Me saying freedom to do right what you can, you putting a 'one-size fits all on ethics and saying he doesn't have the freedom to shoot an animal at that range.

Sandwarrior , we agree to disagree on this in a good friendly manner . We are all on different planes of enlightenment about the way we percieve acceptable or unacceptable or right or wrong -some like me and the Sweedes have evolved past the need to do these shots I guess LOL
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandwarrior , we agree to disagree on this in a good friendly manner . We are all on different planes of enlightenment about the way we percieve acceptable or unacceptable or right or wrong -some like me and the Sweedes have evolved past the need to do these shots I guess LOL
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'll go with that. I'm on the other side of the coin. I'd like to, but nowhere near enough practice and therefore no reason I should take that shot.

So I see some common ground here, for one reason or another, neither you or I would take that shot.

Holy $hit, a truce, are we going to stick a fork in this thread and call it done?

Wadcutter, that was one heck of a shot, wish I could, but I would never do it.
Sometimes videos shouldn't be posted on the web, to many of the masses want to try it without paying thier dues.
It's quite apparent you did, congrats.

WadCutter, well done man! These kinds of threads have been generating controversy since Shawn Carlock invented this awseome round and started taking animals this far and further. I have an edge, have only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it has been a laser. I would want to zero in my specific hunting area, but with experience this shot is well within range of this gun. I am not ready to shoot a deer that far, but you obviously are. Again, well done.

This is a forum about long range shooting. I am surprised that a bunch of Nancy boys object to a long range shot being taken at a deer.

some of us are above the tuff guy hunter mentality stuff and dont think of ourselves as Nancy boys because our standards rule out certain shots due to potential and un-needed damage .To note though we still shoot long distance even if is only at metal !