• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 155 smks for hunting

Re: 155 smks for hunting

ffl medic,

Nice job! That is so great getting the whole family out for a day of antelope hunting..good on you!!

The elk and the antelope were no "match" for your match bullets.good shooting!

Here's the deer: (Sorry, pic HEAVY)
100_0821.jpg

If you look closely, you can see where her front leg swept out from underneath her. Typical of a high shoulder shot. Kinda like if you were watching an airplane on the ground, hit the "gear up" switch. they hit the ground HARD!
100_0822.jpg

Looking back up to where I shot from. 408 yds. Uppermost clearing.
100_0824.jpg

Entrance high shoulder quartering towards me. You can see some slightly messed up fur.
100_0826.jpg

Offside exit. A little more messed up fur.
100_0827.jpg

Interior views of entrance/exit with spine involvement. It was not trassected, just grazed with significant collateral damage to cord.
100_0829.jpg

No atv here!
100_0834.jpg

Entrance and exit on hide.

Wow..imagine what a hunting bullet would have done.

You know, seeing as that match bullet didn't really perform well.
Those animals are only partly dead. Hunting bullets would have killed them mostly dead.

I actually ran them all over with the truck and photoshoped the rest.

Granted the OP asked wether or not SMK 155's would work. I have not used that specific bullet. I have however used the 175 as I have said before. I don't have any pics of the elk except phone pics and they SUCK! I do have some shots of coyotes/ fox shot with the 175 though. I never used to take a camera with. Glad I do now. The only problem I have encountered is with cold soaked batteries. Turns a killer camera into a paperweight.

100_0700.jpg

I thought that since Sierra didn't recommend the SMK for hunting and it shot soooo well in the AR10T, I'd collect some fur with it. Ummmm no. This was the same load I shot the elk with. This guy was shot about 200 yds. Split him in half. This was a chest shot facing me. I have some more photos, but I'm not finding them right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1sic, Bunk?
Those bucks look pretty dead to me.
The op asked for an opinion... I gave one.
Why dont you do the same without slighting me?

</div></div>

pgs, that remark was not directed at you. it was ment for bunkerbean (thus the "bunk")

Cool! were all good!

Whats that wind doing down in Livingston? Its been 20 to 35 mph out of the east here since mid morning.

it has been strangely calm here. almost no wind the last couple of days. it's kind of wierd, but i'll take it.

I remember when I used to fur trap over in the the Ringling- Willsall area years ago sometimes I would take 89 back to Livingston via Bozeman. About Clyde Park Id drive into the wind then back out of it on the west side of the Bozeman hill. Same with the east side of the Crazies...nasty winds in that corner of the world.

I do agree with you on choosing and using premium bullets for larger and tougher animals. Most of us like sqeezing every little bit of accuracy out of our rifles, thus its sometimes hard to switch. From what Ive seen over the years match bullets will work if good shots are taken on and up to deer size critters. And if the shots are placed properly. Elk are a different story. Espescialy big bulls that can weight 40% more than a cow. If thats your intended quarry than use a preimium bullet.

Anyway maybe Im full of bs but thats my 2 cents.

i grew up on our family's ranch at the base of the Crazies NE of Wilsall. great shooting and hunting opportunities.

i had to learn some of this shit the hard way. just hoping i can save someone out there some of the lessons. of course "hunting" here starts with whitetails and goes uphill from there.

Really good country over in that Shields river area...I spent a lot of time hunting coyotes between there and 16 mile creek off to the north back in the late 70s. It was some of the best coyote country a guy could find. Nice coyotes too , pale and big.

The hard way is the good way....I respect your opinions based on that. I may not agree totally with all of them but dont take it personally. My opinions were also developed through trial and error.

Anyway, good luck and take care, Pat

PS...I sure miss hunting those giant black horned Mule deer bucks in the Crazies with my dad back in the late 60s!!!

yea, i don't pretend my way is the only way, but i'll still tell people. lol.

So I guess we can all expect all the bullet manufacturers to drop all their hunting bullets and all those guys who have hunted more places and killed more game than most of us will ever see (PHs, the guys and gals who write for the Rifle, Handloader, Bugle, Successful Hunter etc.) to switch over to Match Bullets before the next issue because a few guys on the Hide have managed to slay some critter with a scaled up varmint bullet. Those who can read, and do, might recall that some idiot actually killed a Tiger with a Savage 99 in 22 HighPower back when the "Imp" came out.
What you can do and what is ethical sometimes are not the same. Frequently forgotton when one's ego is at stake.
I am still waiting for one of the "experts" on here to tell me why they can't kill big game with a real designed hunting bullet?
Everything I shoot with them seems to fall down dead from .257 100 gr TSXs to .411 350 gr old Xs. (not to mention 12 bore deerslugs and 61 caliber paradox bullets).
Guess I'm never gonna be "cool" but the freezer stays full of non-bloodshot meat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess we can all expect all the bullet manufacturers to drop all their hunting bullets and all those guys who have hunted more places and killed more game than most of us will ever see (PHs, the guys and gals who write for the Rifle, Handloader, Bugle, Successful Hunter etc.) to switch over to Match Bullets before the next issue because a few guys on the Hide have managed to slay some critter with a scaled up varmint bullet. Those who can read, and do, might recall that some idiot actually killed a Tiger with a Savage 99 in 22 HighPower back when the "Imp" came out.
What you can do and what is ethical sometimes are not the same. Frequently forgotton when one's ego is at stake.
I am still waiting for one of the "experts" on here to tell me why they can't kill big game with a real designed hunting bullet?
Everything I shoot with them seems to fall down dead from .224 70 gr TSXs (no tigers!) to .411 350 gr old Xs. (not to mention 12 bore deerslugs and 61 caliber paradox bullets).
Guess I'm never gonna be "cool" but the freezer stays full of non-bloodshot meat.

</div></div>

everybody wishes you were dead

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess we can all expect all the bullet manufacturers to drop all their hunting bullets and all those guys who have hunted more places and killed more game than most of us will ever see (PHs, the guys and gals who write for the Rifle, Handloader, Bugle, Successful Hunter etc.) to switch over to Match Bullets before the next issue because a few guys on the Hide have managed to slay some critter with a scaled up varmint bullet. Those who can read, and do, might recall that some idiot actually killed a Tiger with a Savage 99 in 22 HighPower back when the "Imp" came out.
Everything I shoot with them seems to fall down dead from .224 70 gr TSXs (no tigers!) to .411 350 gr old Xs. (not to mention 12 bore deerslugs and 61 caliber paradox bullets).

</div></div>

everybody wishes you were dead </div></div>

+1 Everyone does!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(PHs, the guys and gals who write for the Rifle, Handloader, Bugle, Successful Hunter etc.) to switch over to Match Bullets before the next issue because a few guys on the Hide have managed to slay some critter with a scaled up varmint bullet.</div></div>

Are you really that fucking ignorant? You really think those people who write for those rags are the authority that trumps everything else?

Talk to some of the state trappers in WY, MT etc. if you want the stats on what can kill and what can't. Never mind some of the people who've contributed to this thread may be just that. Also, they probably have as much if not more killing experience that the examples you've provided.

No where in these thread is anyone trying to persuade or strong arm anyone into switching over to any bullet. All anyone has done is answer and give proof that match bullets do work and are, well, made much like if not exactly like some "hunting" bullets. Do you not understand that? Is that so hard for you to accept?

This site is for the serious tactical marksman. That fold over nicely into hunting scenario's. Guy here want the most accuracy they can muster under given circumstances. Match bullets are part of that equation. For both paper and live animals. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">because a few guys on the Hide have managed to slay some critter with a scaled up varmint bullet.</div></div> Scaled up varmint bullet? look at the pics I posted between a match bullet and labeled hunting bullet. Why the fuck are you here if you can't accept and digest the results and contributions of the members here. Did you come here thinking your opinions and words would change this site. Because you've published some fucking rifle book for some "expert". If you can't come here and accept that there is more to learn on a daily basis, and you are here to only teach. You've a long bumpy road ahead. The above 2 posts will ring louder and louder.

Why don't all you wanna be killers pack up you guns and come for a visit? I'm sure we could arrange a warm welcome for you as the State Police are very good at handling armed wanna be felons.

Playground bully assholes.... probably beat up the skinny kid with glasses in grade school.

Typical bully behavior to think they speak for "everybody" LMFAO

Weda, you're a dickbrain. the people I reference have done more hunting in more places than your sorry ass will ever see (unless you can find another sugar mommy).

I'm done with this thread and BTW death threats are against the rules here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why don't all you wanna be killers pack up you guns and come for a visit? </div></div>

well, I can make that happen. I bet I could even bring a few members here with me?

Can I bring a few of my Wyo trooper friends from Wheatland over too?

When is a good time?

PS: of course I'm a dickhead, it is hard not to think with that head, with a wife like mine...

I was joking when I said Pics or didn't happen.

Last two deer I killed this past season were 115grain SMK's

One had an exit. The other was missing 1 1/2 lungs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last time yall argued about this I went out the next morning and shot a cull buck in the shoulder with a SMK and posted pics.

That is about as much as I can do to help yall here on the internet. </div></div>

Pics or it didn't happen!!! :
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin:

Yes I agree a SMK puts them down nicely. But I will say if you are close enough, the higher speed will cause the bullet to fragment </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exit wound from a buck I took this morning. 175SMK at 2720fps out of AR-10T.

After realizing I shot it with a SMK I panicked because I realized I had shot it with a match round.

I rappeled down the tripod. Got commo up with Dustoff and called in my grid coordinates. Ran to the down deer and popped smoke. I began emergency medical procedures and treated the deer for a sucking chest wound and broken shoulder. Sadly he didn't make it. If only he had known it was a SMK that hit him, he would still be alive.

Funeral services will be next Friday at my smoker.

deer.jpg

only about 50 yards away from a 12' tripod. Entry was high right shoulder and exit was low left shoulder. I usualy stick them in the neck but thought, what the hell. </div></div> </div></div>

Wow now that all the madness is gone I'd like to say one thing.

fflmedic that's one heck of a nice family you got there. That pic is what dreams and memories are made of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't all you wanna be killers pack up you guns and come for a visit? I'm sure we could arrange a warm welcome for you as the State Police are very good at handling armed wanna be felons.

Playground bully assholes.... probably beat up the skinny kid with glasses in grade school.

Typical bully behavior to think they speak for "everybody" LMFAO

Weda, you're a dickbrain. the people I reference have done more hunting in more places than your sorry ass will ever see (unless you can find another sugar mommy).

I'm done with this thread and BTW death threats are against the rules here. </div></div>

So are personal attacks old man...

and FYI... no one threatened you... Suggestions were made, but no one actually made a threat. Shall I show you the definitions of these words? I figured that you, being a well read publisher, would already have a grasp of how to define and conjugate these words.

threat - a declaration of an intention to inflict harm

threaten - To express a threat against

suggest - To offer for consideration or action; propose

I hope he hasn't responded because he is dead

Sorry,but it got all interesting and things were flying,I piggy out all the popcorn and Kool-Aide. I was waiting for the climax thinking Mr.Humble was going to suggest useing a glove on his TSX bullets for the Texas Heart shot! I quess when they ban lead like Mr Humble wants,he can just hammer them copper TSX bullets into round balls to shoot in his,what was it 1875 Civil War.64 cal. musket.

To provide some experience with the 77gr SMK out of a 223.....

A late friend of mine used my .223 AR with some Black Hills loaded 77gr SMK's on a 150lb buck broadside at approx 100yds. Deer dropped dead from where it stood. Upon opening the chest cavity we found that the bullet literally exploded "somewhere" in there. I say "somewhere" because I don't know if it was within the first 2" of flesh or 6". Shot was placed directly behind and slightly above the front shoulder. We recovered the copper jacket without any lead attached in the rear quarter when we butchered it later that evening. Little pieces of lead were all over the place with most of it being contained within the vital areas.

Careful guys, in another thread Mr. Humble said that ALL (his word) the police he knows carry "throw downs". As soon as you put down your weapons you are all gonna be murdered no questions asked.

Just for fun, cut open a few bullets a while back. My guess would be that the SMK would open slightly more delayed compared to a-max and VLD. Maybe a better option for the higher velocity cartridge.
Only shot deer with the a-max and Nos out these so far.
edi
30calcut.jpg

something more important that the bullet you use to take deer is shot placement, with a good shot you can shoot a deer with a .22 and have it drop dead right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess we can all expect all the bullet manufacturers to drop all their hunting bullets and all those guys who have hunted more places and killed more game than most of us will ever see (PHs, the guys and gals who write for the Rifle, Handloader, Bugle, Successful Hunter etc.) to switch over to Match Bullets before the next issue because a few guys on the Hide have managed to slay some critter with a scaled up varmint bullet. Those who can read, and do, might recall that some idiot actually killed a Tiger with a Savage 99 in 22 HighPower back when the "Imp" came out.

</div></div>

everybody wishes you were dead </div></div>

+1 Everyone does! </div></div>

+2. People are talking about match bullets for deer, and Mr.Douchebag always has to bring up Tigers and elephants and shit.

Nice comparison picture Edi! Interesting how they are the same and yet different on the inside. I have shot deer with amax and smk and both do just fine. The deer seemed as dead as when I shot them with tsx, partitions or corelokt. Berger are most expensive so I don't really do much with them.