• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16" 1-7 AR15 loads

marku

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Illinois
Ive searched so much ive got information overload....

My rifle (AR15) is a Kreiger 1-7 16" 4 groove barrel with Compass Lakes match chamber.

With SMK impossible to find, I settled on 60gr Hornady VMax bullets for Coyotes. Ive read everything from H4895, Varget compressed loads), Benchmark, H335 and so on

In a 1-7 16" they say these bullets perform best at 2800-2900fps. Im looking for real world expierence on what powder so start with with people thats shot the 1-7 and tried these bullets.

Actually Ill take any help here...

Thank you in advance

Re: 16" 1-7 AR15 loads

I think I was using 23.5gr AA2230 @ 2.245" but that's a shot in the dark. You really need to get a loading book and develop your own load for your rifle if you want it to be optimal for your setup.

I've used 23.8gr of AA2230 with a 60gr nosler ballistic tip through a colt 6920 with good results...this is a max charge so you might want to work up to it

Most of the powder companies offer printed loads for popular cartridges. Many have the same info on their websites.

A shooter is generally well served to start with loads developed in a pressure gun and then tweak that load for their rifle, watching for pressure signs, at all times.

A load developed to max, this time of year, can flatten or loosen primers in the heat of summer.

Seat 'em so they fit in the mag. Run a shot each of 335 in 1.0gr increments til you're close to book max, then 0.5gr til you find pressure. Now back off from pressure sign and do a couple/few charges for accuracy.
I usually load to pressure check and shoot 'em out the back door. Then go back in and load a few charges for accuracy testing later.

Heres my load.

25.0gr H4895, Winchester prepped brass new small based sized and also full length, Fed 205 primers 60gr Vmax

Heres my load.

25.0gr H4895, Winchester prepped brass new small based sized and also full length, Fed 205 primers 60gr Vmax

That's what I was going to recommend. With the Sierra 60 gr varminters, that's the sleeper load for reduced course service rifle.