• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

168 Mtchking BTHP

astrohound24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Well I have purchased a reloading press and some dies for my 308. I saved much of my old brass. I have read through some of the reloading information here and I generally find myself confused on where to begin. I need to buy powder, primers, and bullets. My gun shoots best with the GMM Federal 168s and I guess I would like to lean in that direction. Any advice for this newbie is appreciated. I bought a Lee Hand Press to use in the lab I work at and the dies I chose are the Lee deluxe die set. Thanks ahead of time for any important tips on things I should pay attention to while starting out on this.

Greg

Re: 168 Mtchking BTHP

Nothing wrong with the 168 SMK's

First thing, you should go to the library and get the book, ABC's of reloading and thumb through it. It will explain things like powders, burn rates, brass, OAL, COAL, seating depth, and most important pressure

Now here is a burn chart, so you can see why there are so many powders. http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

If you pick up the Hodgdons reloading annual magazine, it has a description of each powder(hodgdons) and what calibers they are designed for.

A good all around target and hunting powder for the 308 is Varget (varmint/target=varget) It is a Extreme extruded powder, and in short is tolerant of temperature changes, ignites well, and usually yields more velocity compared to similar burn rate powders.

As for primers, find one you like and stick with it. Some go CCI, others WLR. I use WLR for large rifle and CCI for small. Now I wouldnt get in to Federal match or CCI BR-2 primers until you have loaded some decent ammo first.

Brass, the federal you will be reloading is quite soft, you may get about 3 or more loads before the primer pockets get loose. Some like Winny brass, I stuck with RP brass. Lapua is nice, but again, walk before you run.

While you are at it, get a caliper, this is one of the most important tools besides a scale.

Laslty read through the OCW loading guide, this technique will save you lots of headaches and powder.http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

good luck, and always ask questions, be safe

Thanks so much. That helps a bunch. I will do a lot of reading tonight. Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If reloading will be a long term practice for you, consider like any tool purchase, buying quantity upfront. </div></div>

Yep.

Since you went with Lee, look into their Classic Cast Iron O-Frame press. Even though it's a single stage press, it'll be worth the $100 you spend on it in saving your hands and wrists from a lot of grunt work.

It's a press that's casted in America, by Americans, from American railroad tracks on American made CNC machines.

Plus, it's cheaper than the other brands!

168 SMKs, Varget, RL-15 or IMR 4895 should be fine. There are others, but those are easy to acquire.

Chris

Yeah I had read some favorable reviews on the hand press but I will likely set up a permanent press in the lab I work at.

As far as powder goes, Id try RE15 first, 42grs is the accuracy load in the Sierra manual, seat your MKs to fit the magazine and it should shoot fine. Ive found the Hornady AMAXs to be a bit more accurate, fwiw.

FGGM uses 42.8 gr of IMR 4060, the 168SMK OAL at 2.80

Well I picked up an RCBS scale today and a trickle powder apparatus. I need to look into a case trimmer now. I am not worried about speed so much as just being able to get a good trim. Thanks for all the suggestions on powder, etc. This stuff is making way more sense to me now and I have been reading the reloading stickies at the top of the forum. Wealth of information here. Thanks again!

Greg

After all my reading I am seeing how it is very important to pay attention to bullet depth and how the bullet meets up with the rifling lands. Should I get a micrometer die like Forsters or can I just figure my way along with the Lee Deluxe Die set I have already? I think the scariest part in all this is adjusting length on these suckers but maybe once I start trying it won't be that bad.

Greg

Worst case scenario is just match your seating die to a factory loaded fgmm? Then if you can't get a bit more accuracy with powder changes start changing seating depth.

If your rifle likes FGGM (you didn't say what you're shooting) you can't beat Oneteam's suggestion above. I shoot 168's all the time, except for the 165 Gamekings and have good luck with IMR or H4895 or RL-15.

Yeah my rifle loves 168 FGMM and I also found that it shoots Remington Match well also in 168. Just for kicks I shot some cheap Super X 180 grain power points through it the other day and it grouped those less than half an inch. So far most everything shoots decent but I get down around 1/4 MOA or sometimes less than that with the FGMM. It seems to be the best. I will just size it with a FGMM like you recommend. Seems to be best way. I played around with the stuff today in the lab and after looking everything over, this all makes way more sense. Thanks for helping me sort this out. You guys are great.

Greg

If you are getting 1/4 moa out of factory GMM not sure what your hopes and dreams are in reloading but seems like it will be awfully hard to beat?

Well I kind of hoped it would be a little cheaper in the long run but I guess mainly I want to become a little more self sufficient and learn a new skill. Yeah I realize as far as accuracy goes I can't ask for much better. I was actually quite surprised at how accurate my rifle is. I don't shoot that every time but it seems to do it quite easily when I do my part. I guess reloading seems a little fun and interesting to me.

Greg

Hey everyone. I have one more concern and it is a safety one. Most references I am reading are telling me to load these 168 FGMM rounds with 44 gr when using Varget Powder. I weighed this out several times and was surprised to find powder all the way up in the neck of the brass? Is this normal? Seemed like a lot to me. The chart on front of the can of Varget Powder calls for 44 gr and also my Hornady book. Just wanted to check. Don't want to look like the Coyote in the Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner cartoon with my head scorched and my barrel all ripped open.

Greg

When I say in the neck I mean it was up past the shoulder of the casing just a bit.

May be we need check weights. I just loaded 50 rds with 44 grn of varget and none of powder reached the neck. Win brass

Well some of the first brass I am attempting to load is once fired Federal brass. I understand that Winchester brass has a higher capacity than other brass or I heard that. Who knows but I loaded my Federal brass with 42 gr of Varget with Federal GM primers and Sierra 168 gr BTHP. I thought I would start there. I notice that I can feel the powder shake in them, but my GMM factory loads feel tight and packed like a tick. So guess I will see what happens.

FWIW 42 gr of varget was my best load for 168, that is until I got to 43.5gr. I load them 0.010 off lands and that is the sweet spot for my rifle. Start slow and go even slower. I have loaded 44gr of varget and do not remember the powder to be in the neck as you say. Check your scale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: astrohound24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well some of the first brass I am attempting to load is once fired Federal brass. I understand that Winchester brass has a higher capacity than other brass or I heard that. Who knows but I loaded my Federal brass with 42 gr of Varget with Federal GM primers and Sierra 168 gr BTHP. I thought I would start there. I notice that I can feel the powder shake in them, but my GMM factory loads feel tight and packed like a tick. So guess I will see what happens. </div></div>

FGMM doesn't use varget so I'm sure its a slight volume issue even though they both run at 42 grains.