• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

168gr amax at 2885fps in .308????

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I'm shooting 45grs of varget, 168gr Amax in 308 with 26" barrel..My chrono is reading 2885 FPS..Is that correct..Only reason I'm asking is a buddy swears his 168BTHP with 46gr of varget is only shooting 2680..Got me wondering now if mine or his chrono is messed up...

Re: 168gr amax at 2885fps in .308????

Was the 2885 FPS load on brand new brass? I have seen a large fps increase on new brass that has not been run through a sizing die first to decrease the neck tension in some brands of brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: summitsitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting 45grs of varget, 168gr Amax in 308 with 26" barrel..My chrono is reading 2885 FPS..Is that correct..Only reason I'm asking is a buddy swears his 168BTHP with 46gr of varget is only shooting 2680..Got me wondering now if mine or his chrono is messed up... </div></div>

My buddy has a new 26" 1:10" McGowen on a Savage and he's getting well into the 2800s with 168 SMKs and varget around that weight with no real pressure signs to speak of.

Two CED M2 Chronos doing the numbers, so it's just a fast barrel.

Chris

Chrony on my first baseline proof handloads last night:

Hornady 30501 bthp 168gr Bc .450
(I'll probably move over to A-Maxes eventually or load both types in parallel)

Brass
New Win WSC308WU 2.005"

Powder
41.7gr Varget

Primer
Fed210

OAL 2.934”

Rem 700 VSF 308Win Factory 26" Fluted 1/10

Average vel on 9 rds was 2500 on the nose
Chrony Gamma at 10'

I ran 25 (my first hand loaded rifle rounds) just for the initial experience. Only pistol reloads up to now.

This weekend I will run the next sample sets and start bumping up the powder charge towards max load. I hope to shoot them next week.

My plan is to next make sequential lots of three. After each third round I will increase powder charge by 1gr up to max in the recipe and then shoot them from low triplets to high and monitor for any case/primer stress.

Once I know either that I have an upper limit before the recommended max or that I can safely go to max with no signs of trouble, then I will continue from there.

Considering that I am getting 2500 at 10% charge low, 2500+10%=2750 and then consider that there is no increase in case volume 2800+ seems very logical.

Does anyone have any favorite advanced reloading threads here that they recommend? I have a few diff reloading manuals, but the more free advanced information I have to choose from the better.

I won't have proper optics until this fall when I have enough saved up again so I'm not in any major rush.

More thoughts. Neck sized INSIDE or OUTSIDE? I have the hornady match grade dies and it comes with two different elliptical expanders for the case neck. One resizes, and the other is way undersized to NOT touch or resize necks. ITEM "J"

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/new_dimension_match_grade.pdf

If you're using a new case, is it possible they are coming undersized, not getting expanded, and you're getting an effective crimp and excess tension holding the bullet?

Are the case mouths getting crimped by the rifle when the round is chambered?

Unload and inspect a chambered but unfired round (or maybe a new unloaded case?) and look for damage and extra crimp or case mouth damage.

Are you positive the case mouth of the bullet is not getting jammed into the lands when the action closes? Are you sure of the bore and bullet diameters? Has the barrel been slugged to measure the true caliber?

It may even be useful to cast the chamber and take some measurements.

My latest:

Hornady 30501 bthp 168gr Bc .450
44gr Varget
2609 avg

Hornady 305026 AMax 168gr BC .475
44gr Varget
2641 avg

all other specs same as above