• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

175 berger 308 load

ugadeer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2009
Athens, GA
I just finished a new build and would like to test the waters for a load to start with.......build is as follows:

700 Action blueprinted
Hart 22" 1-10 barrel
B&C XCR stock
Leupy Mk 4 4.5-14
NF Rings, Mk 4 Base
REm. trigger 2.5 lbs

I would really like to shoot 175gr Berger VLD's (hunting, orange box) as I have plenty on hand. Other bullets would be 165gr Scrirroco's or Accubonds but the Bergers are really the direction i'd like to go. I picked up 600 rnds of once fired FGMM brass on here so i'll be using it as well. Any info from ya'll would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, matt

Re: 175 berger 308 load

IMR 4064 or Varget either one will do the job just fine. Try the Varget at 44.2 of the Varget and 42.2 grains of IMR 4064. The Berger 175s with Lapua brass and Winchester standard primers. An OAL of 2.825" is a jam fit into the lands in MY rifle.

Be sure to back down the loads a bit when you're loading for YOUR rifle.

I'm running 44gr of Varget in Nosler brass and getting 2723 fps from a 26" Rock 5R. Using Win brass I had to bump it up to 45.2 and am getting 2737 with no pressure and outstanding accuracy.
Both loads are primed with 210Ms and are seated in the lands .015". Having the chamber reamed with a short throat I am able to get an OAL of only 2.796" which eliminates any problems with magazine dimensions.

I've found the VLDs to be a great bullet for hunting, punching paper or banging steel. You won't be dissatisfied with them once you find the load that your rifle likes.

I am running 45 grains of varget with lapua brass and WLR primers, bullets seated .010 into the lands. Excellent groups with low ES and 2683 averaged fps out of a 21.5 rock creek 11.27 twist.