• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" 284 win

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I'm looking into getting an 18" 284 win tikka prefit with the GAP reamer for 180s.
Anyone have experience with shorter barreled 284s shooting 168-180 grain bullets?
I'm wanting to hit 2600 with 180s or 2700 ish with 168s for my intended max elk hunting range of 700 yards, is this velocity realistic?
My alternate option is a 7 saum, or more likely a 7 wsm since I have a 6.5 saum and wouldn’t want a mix up

Do a search on the https://nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/ sight.
There are a bunch of people running short barrel 284s and 7SAUMs, plenty of info around barrel lengths, velocities and projectile choices.

If you are using the standard Tikka bottom metal you'll be able to get the longer bolt stop and longer magazines and run the 180s.
If you are using AICS mags or ones limited to 3" OAL then 180s will likely not be worth it in the 284 and be better off going 7mm SAUM.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
I'm looking into getting an 18" 284 win tikka prefit with the GAP reamer for 180s.
Anyone have experience with shorter barreled 284s shooting 168-180 grain bullets?
I'm wanting to hit 2600 with 180s or 2700 ish with 168s for my intended max elk hunting range of 700 yards, is this velocity realistic?
My alternate option is a 7 saum, or more likely a 7 wsm since I have a 6.5 saum and wouldn’t want a mix up
I'm interested as well.

I just emailed tbac today-
284 and 6.5-284 are both g2g out of a 16" barrel with the ultra gen 2.

I hunt supressed and want the best performance I can get out of a 16" barrel. The PRC, etc are too high pressure for the tbac at 16- they need 18.

I generally don't like venturing beyond 308 based cases as I hate recoil, but the 284 case really appeals to me. Seems perfect for the Tikka too.

Also, that 180 eldm looks phenomenal.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a shorter more compact rifle especially in a 6.5x284. This one might have to be next on the list!

I'm interested as well.

I just emailed tbac today-
284 and 6.5-284 are both g2g out of a 16" barrel with the ultra gen 2.

I hunt supressed and want the best performance I can get out of a 16" barrel. The PRC, etc are too high pressure for the tbac at 16- they need 18.

I generally don't like venturing beyond 308 based cases as I hate recoil, but the 284 case really appeals to me. Seems perfect for the Tikka too.

Also, that 180 eldm looks phenomenal.
I have a lightweight tikka" 6.5 saum that I'm running a Banish 30 suppressor on.
Man its pretty incredible, I'm getting 2925 with 144 bergers and accuracy/ suppression is fantastic.
My wife and I will have to share it this season hence the reason I'm wanting to build another.
I already have a tikka match rifle that I'm not using with a standard bolt face, otherwise Id probably just go with a 7 wsm
TBAC minimum barrel lengths were a deal breaker for me so I'm waiting on a Nomad LT to run on this build

I have the steel nomad L and it's phenomenal. Bought it a few weeks before the ti was released. Ti cans are really nice on hunting bolt rifles.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA