• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 18" barrel and chrono numbers *Final test*

Hateca

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 12, 2004
    Henderson NV
    Here is an update from this post http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...497#Post1170497

Went to the range today to get chrono numbers out of the 18” barrel. I used only factory ammo, Federal 168 match, and BH 175 match. I didn’t really set out to shoot groups, set out just get numbers so I wasn’t really trying real hard and I didn’t take the camera with me. But posted is two five shot groups with Federal that I scanned just for giggles.

Mounted one of my USO’s on the rifle. Total weight as you see it is 14 lbs. Rifle feeds like a champ with the AW mag.

Fired 15 rounds of Federal and 10 of BH. The groups in the pic are Federal. I have never had good luck with BH and I don’t normally use it. Today was no exception, the 10 shots I took were over an inch for five shots. It could be just the lot of ammo but like I said never had any luck with it in any rifle so take it for what it’s worth. I took the BH with the 175 bullet today just for the chrono numbers.

The chrono was 10 feet from the muzzle.

Conditions: Temp 78, Pressure 29, Humidity 44%, Wind calm, Elevation 2500’.

Average for Federal 168 for 10 shots was 2622.0 FPS

Average for BH 175 for 10 shots was 2537.9 FPS

AW5.jpg

18inchrifle-1-1.jpg

Re: 18" barrel and chrono numbers

2,600 fps should be significant for 900 yards right? how did the FGMM 175 work out? had a chance to shoot that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2,600 fps should be significant for 900 yards right? how did the FGMM 175 work out? had a chance to shoot that? </div></div>

Had no Federal 175 to test, but it would be dang near the same as the BH.

The velocity could get you to 1000 but the rifle is not built for that. 800 to 900 is very doable and more realistic. You also have to remember this is factory ammo, re-loading is another story, so pushing the rifle to the edge is always possible but I don't set out to build a working rifle to work with just re-loads, I want the rifle to do it with factory ammo. If it can do it with factory then the re-loading is a cake walk.

your test rifle MINUS the surefire brake is spot one for what for me would be the perfect all around .308. a threaded muzzle with a protector would suffice for me. the fact that it accepts AW mags just sweetens the deal.

I'd have a hard time choosing a stock. the A5, T2, T3, and the T4 all appeal to me.

Any plans to try it with Lapua 170gr Lock-base HPS factory ammo?
    The BC is .533 and it is spec'd to deliver 2840 out of 24" BBL, so it should do 2750fps, easy, and there's your 1K rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any plans to try it with Lapua 170gr Lock-base HPS factory ammo?
    The BC is .533 and it is spec'd to deliver 2840 out of 24" BBL, so it should do 2750fps, easy, and there's your 1K rifle. </div></div>

If you want to send me box I will be happy to check for you
    wink.gif

Randy, any idea when you would start taking on builds like that?

my rifle has a 22" inch barrel on it and im thinking of chopping 4" for a nice 800 yard urban rifle.

Considering an 18 inch barrel for my AR10 build. Randy are you accepting any local coating work on AR builds?
    Thanks
    KC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to send me box I will be happy to check for you
    wink.gif
    </div></div>LOL! Thanks Randy, but Moon already built me one just like that, in an AICS. I'll let YOU know when I finally get around to chrono'ing it.

Building a nice stick like that and not shooting tuned handloads is like putting 87 octain in a porche!

I used to have a 18" 700P barreled action that was getting aroung 2750 with 168 handloads according to the JBM ballistic calculator....never shot it over the chrono though.

birddog28 said:
    Building a nice stick like that and not shooting tuned handloads is like putting 87 octain in a porche!

Damn it Birddog; I said paint the "Porch" not the......!
    grin.gif

I get around 2640 with my dpms LR308 with the 18 BB fluted and CRYO accurized. Shooting the factory Federal 168 SMK. Love the gun and love the groups.

Chrono'd today:

18.5" Bartlein
    Lapua HPS 170gr Lock Base
    2630fps at 60 degrees, a few hundred feet above sea level.

Under today's conditions, that would be 10.5 Mils elevation and 1285fps at 1000 yards.

Randy, what (if any) is your experience with 155 Scenars in that barrel?

I ask because I am thinking of trying a Scenar load with a faster burning powder, like H322, to get to 2700fps and keep the equivalent BC of the 175SMK.

I wish him luck with his minor tune-up! Get better Randy, we need you on here to help us figure things out.
    smile.gif

Have not tried any Scenars.

After a spell with some hospital visits I was able to get out and do the final test for the info I was looking for.

The final test was with 155 Match Palma bullets with 44 grains of RE-15, federal brass, Win primers.

The chrono was 10 feet from the muzzle.

Conditions: Temp 82, Pressure 29, Humidity 17%, Wind calm, Elevation 2500’.

Average for Federal 155 Palma for 10 shots was 2810.0 FPS

When I cut my 22" down to 18" I want to go with 190 SMK's with LR Mag primers and some RE-15 just for the hell of it.

I think that would be a great bullet for such a build.

John

when I chop mine to 18" I want to be able to hit 800 yards with 168s. 11.27 twist mike rock 5r barrel.

I'm happy with 600M for an 18" barrel, as I have two sticks that will stretch to 1k, even three if I count my match grade M14, but I ain't going to be the one hitting out to 1k with irons on it unless I get real lucky(glasses and all that)

im also at an avg 2810 with 155 scenars out of my 18" rock.