• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st Post / 1st Stick

Ky 606

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Ky . Eastside
This is my first post.Be gentle.This is a great site with all the info on here to read and study.I've lurked about probably for 8 months before registering as a user. I have enjoyed the shout box this past winter watching hide members chase trolls.I promise not to be a troll. I've finally found a place where people share the same passion ,addiction ,obsession or what ever you call it that I have. I think it started for me about age 5 holding those cooper BB's in my hand. I had shot mainly deer rifles out to 550yds until about 4 years ago.Bought my first custom 2 years ago.Shooting out at 1k for now. I'm just now getting ready to shoot a few comps.I did go to the mammoth shoot this spring just to watch. Here's a pic of my stick. See what you think:
SCIAS Tactical Rifle 308
SRT-Shadow suppressor
A5 Mcmillian Stock
Badger Bottom Metal,Knob,Rings and Rail
20" Hart Barrell 1:10
Birdsong Black-T finish
Nightforce 5.5 x 22 x56 MLR rect.
308pic.jpg

Re: 1st Post / 1st Stick

Looks nice. How's the suppressor? How's the cheek weld without the adjustable cheek piece? I totally forgot about the Mammoth shoot.

Suppessor is good.no ear plugs required. I did use the adjustable cheek piece until I put the cover on it which I like now. It did take a little getting used to.

Looks great!
You'll really enjoy the comps. You'll probably want to change out your bottom metal for a DBM system if you're going to shoot comps. 10rd. mags and being able to load and unload your rifle in a hurry are a huge help. Good luck!

Thanks, your right on DBM. That was the first thing I noticed at the mammoth shoot.

Come shoot with us at our monthly range weekends down at Rockcastle Shooting center! We need to get all locals involved and promoting them to keep going with the range development.
laugh.gif

Sounds good. What weekend of the month do you usually shoot down there? This place has great potential to develop and become a great shooting place for everyone. I talked with Nick at the mammoth and listened to his ideas about the range.Which all sounded good. I've got a couple of guys that shoot with me that would come also. We have some AR500 steel also we could bring if needed.

Oops. Should read SC1A5. also Shilen trigger and Harris bipod with trued Remmy action. Probably going to switch to Atlas bipod though.

How do you like the texturing on the stock?

I like it. It doesn't feel as rough as it looks. I think it may help a little when it's raining with gripping the gun. Although I like the smooth ones as well. More of just a Tacticool item.

Nice setup and welcome to the Hide.

2nd KYS338 on coming to the RCSC shoots.

Thanks, and will definitely come shoot at RCSC. Talked to my shooting partner this evening and he sais he's in.

Wait a minute I've seen that rifle before. I think I may have even shot it once or twice. Looks good! I couldn't have put together a better setup myself. Did Tom talk you into a Atlas bipod like he did with me?

welcome and congratulation for your beautiful rifle!
may i ask you what is your PDA and which program do you use ,do you like it?i plan on buying on but i'm not a master concerning computers..

WOW! you lurk well dude.
Nice all around set up. Did you do the texture job yourself or did you have a 'smith do it? I am realllly interested to know what was used to achieve that texture pattern.
Enjoy!

Thanks,and actually that PDA is my shooting partners. I'm not for sure on the program he runs but he likes it. I'm still a little bit old school. I do use JBM on the computer. I have used a Nightforce program that I like and can be used on a palm pad.

Thanks Pdcake, I noticed early on better to lurk than troll.lol . The texturing was done by a smith. I'm sure other members of the hide could tell you how its done. I have no experience in this area.

Thank,not for sure on the wait time. Just ordered as an option when the gun was built. Do you have any good ranges there in W.V?

Well, I live in Charleston, and I normally shoot at Putnam County Gun Club in Eleanor. 400 yard rifle range. There's White Horse close to Buchannon, it's 1,000 yards. I've been wanting to head up to Thunder Valley in Ohio. It's only about 2.5 hours from me. Just where in KY you from?

I'm 2 hrs from Charleston close to Morehead /Grayson area.My shooting partner and I went up to TVP last monday and shot 4.5 hr drive but it was well worth it. Tom is a great guy. I would recommend the trip.

Hell, you're closer than 2 hrs. My grandparents live in Huntington and that's only 30 mins. My shooting buddy and I plan to head up there sometime. You have any 1,000 yard ranges close to you?

I'm about 30 min to Morehead or Grayson though. No good ranges close. We shoot on private farms.600yds on 1,and 960yds on the other. The 960 farm is only available of the winter when farm owner rotates cattle out.

That sucks. We have a few old surface mines around, but that's really the only places that are ideal to shoot. Now with all that coal-to-gas stuff starting up, they're starting to stop traffic because they may re-open them.

The program on Palm is the Nightforce program and the stock texture was done by my ol'buddy Mike at Tac-Ops. I'm not sure but I think the Birdsong took around three months. But I think things are moving faster for Birdsong.

Sweet set up partner! Welcome aboard, always good to see another shooter from the Bluegrass! If ya get over around Lake Cumberland, give us a shout!

Thanks JamieD, Yes that is my first can and I like it. The recoil and noise reduction works for me.
grin.gif

It's about time you got on here give me a call coming back home next week.we all need to shoot.

I know what you mean on the "lurking". Read, read, and read some more. Finally joined today. Figured it was time to contribute.

Nice setup. I'm glad to see another 'eastside' resident. Finding enough flat land to shoot on east of the Bluegrass Region in Kentucky can be difficult. If it weren't for reclaimed surface mines I'd probably be limited to 100 yards or less.