• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st world problems/decisions :)

gearguywb

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2018
    I am getting the itch for a new hunting rifle. Currently have a couple of custom builds with 700 actions, 1 in 6.5 CM, 1 in 300 WM.

Looking for some middle of the road ground. Mostly mule deer type hunting. Light is good but doesn't need to be stupid light either.

1. Looking hard at the 6.5 PRC. Checked out some of the offerings at Scheels, particularly the CA carbon barrel rifles. Seemed pretty nice but a bit of concern about the QC issues. Some love them and have had great success, others, not so much. $2K

2. Seekins Havak. Had a 6.5CM that shot very well. With a discount code, around $1.5K

3. Continue to lurk in the classifieds for a custom build.......$????

Hmmm....thoughts?

Do you have an empty space in the safe that’s itching to be filled or is converting one, or both, of your rifles to a switch-barrel system an option? You have the two most popular bolt faces so your options are almost endless if that sounds interesting

I am not a huge fan of switching out barrels. There is in fact an empty spot (or two :)) in the safe!

Right on, I don’t think any of those options are a bad idea. Even if you go with the CA rifle and it has issues, send that shit back.

I think my personal preference in your case would be to cruise the px for a used custom, but that’s just me. I’m always looking out for the most for my $$ and that usually means buying slightly used

For a nice deer gun Tikka T3X gets my vote. It's fairly light in the factory stock and accurate enough that if you miss a deer it's you not the rifle. Distance you expect to shoot will determine caliber, inside 800 6.5 CM with a good soft point should get the job done.