• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 Camping/Tent Questions. Need Help Please!

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    First, I have a Coleman 10 man that I use for camping in the California Desert and over the weekend we got some night time rain and it seems as though some water got in the tent. I'm not sure if the wind blew it under the rain fly and then it dripped through the mesh roof or if the rainfly got super saturated and then dripped through the mesh. Tent is like 3 years old and has a ton of trips on it. Any ideas????

Second, What tents do you guys run for not so great weather?

Thanks,

Budget, number of people, intended use (car camping vs backpacking) helps give ideas.
    under $750, car camping, want to be able to stand in it or close to, 2 full size dudes on cots so a 10'x10 foot print

Look into an old canvas cabin tent. Ours had a floor, or could get a floor less model.
    Seems weight/space isnt an issue.

We had one as a kid, Hillary brand, that was amazing.
    They are heavy, take a little planning and work, but for those stated goals, its what I would look for.

We used old railroad spikes for stakes and a 3.5lb sledge to drive them.

been a while since we camped. we always put a tarp under the tent and tucked it in under the tent so that any rain wouldn't accumulate on it. then we put a tarp inside the tent, over the tent floor. never had any issues whatsoever with rain, dew, etc.

if you have a floorless tent, i'd have a tarp on the ground and fold it such that it was a little smaller than the tent's circumference so that if rain drips down the tent outside wall, it doesn't land on the tarp and then funnel inwards.

also, if you have stuff resting or touching against the inside tent walls, that will wick water in.

Reactions: bbhank
    I use spray waterproofing on the fly and tent walls. I also never buy a tent that doesn't have a "tub" floor. Other than that. Using a tarp under the floor can help. Along with making sure you have no sags etc and the tent is erected correctly.

Funny, but I use an American Camper from walmart. Been in all kinds of shit weather (heavy rain and wind, snow, sleet etc) and has held up spectacularly. It has fiberglass poles, which is both a pro and a con. Lose some rigidity you get with aluminum, but in my neck of the woods it's actually better that the poles have some flex due to extreme wind. I've had more expensive aluminum pole based tents flattened by high winds...

It's a 4 man dome, so smaller than your needs. Just that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better...just depends.

Don't go canvas btw, at least imo. Pain in the ass to care for. Mold, mildew is a nightmare unless you put away totally dry and store very dry place.

Buy some good waterproofing spray and pay close attention to the seams. There are "wax type" waterproofing solutions especially for seams...

I've had a REI Co-Op Base Camp 6 Tent for car camping for a few years. Comes with a rainfly and they sell a matching footprint.

May not meet your height requirements, but price is right, and its been durable, easy to set up, and I spent 5 days with what I can only describe as biblical level rain without issue. Overall has nice features and I think they warranty it for a lengthy period of time if you do end up having a problem.

I learned long ago, when putting up my tent to follow these simple rules:

Never erect the tent at the 'lowest place' in the area.
    Always ensure that the fly will have enough clearance so as to NOT touch the tent at all.
    Always dig a trench around the tent, and have it drain AWAY from the tent.
    Never pack things inside the tent that lean against/touch the outer walls.

I have used tents (numerous styles) for a lot of years in the mountains of B.C. Hot of summer as well as cold of winter. And everything in between. Follow those 4 simple rules and you'll always have dry shelter.

You'll never be warm, if you're wet.

YMMV.

When you exhale your body releases humid air.....humid air on a cold tent interior ceiling causes condensation...condensation collects and finally runs down the interior to the floor. Add more people, adds more humidity.

Not to mention IF there was any sort of "activities" happening inside the tent between people can add even more humidity to the air.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    When you exhale your body releases humid air.....humid air on a cold tent interior ceiling causes condensation...condensation collects and finally runs down the interior to the floor. Add more people, adds more humidity.

Not to mention IF there was any sort of "activities" happening inside the tent between people can add even more humidity to the air.
    We had two windows cracked open for ventilation in the tent!!!

It happens. Without the proper flow of air there's no venting. Since heat rises it's going to go to the high point in the tent. Just throwing out there things that can contribute to the moisture/water you found. You didn't mention how much moisture/water or where you found it.

It happens. Without the proper flow of air there's no venting. Since heat rises it's going to go to the high point in the tent. Just throwing out there things that can contribute to the moisture/water you found. You didn't mention how much moisture/water or where you found it.
    so there wasnt a whole lot. three of us in the tent all on cots. the guy on one end got dripped on pretty good but it didnt soak through his bag. i had some droplets on my bag, but the guy on the other had nothing totally dry. i appreciate all feedback!

My opinion based on the mountains of North Idaho and the smokies. My eureka ultralight had me sleeping in a puddle during a light rain. It stays in the garage.

Kodiak canvas or springbar canvas for ease of use and cost. You can also get a canvas wall tent with floor for less than 750.

Canvas is not that difficult to care for and no condensation. Add a stove and you’re gtg.

When I’m not in a canvas wall tent, I sleep under open tarp in a wedge configuration with a fire at the front. Never wet.

I use spray waterproofing on the fly and tent walls. I also never buy a tent that doesn't have a "tub" floor. Other than that. Using a tarp under the floor can help. Along with making sure you have no sags etc and the tent is erected correctly.

Funny, but I use an American Camper from walmart. Been in all kinds of shit weather (heavy rain and wind, snow, sleet etc) and has held up spectacularly. It has fiberglass poles, which is both a pro and a con. Lose some rigidity you get with aluminum, but in my neck of the woods it's actually better that the poles have some flex due to extreme wind. I've had more expensive aluminum pole based tents flattened by high winds...

It's a 4 man dome, so smaller than your needs. Just that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better...just depends.

Don't go canvas btw, at least imo. Pain in the ass to care for. Mold, mildew is a nightmare unless you put away totally dry and store very dry place.

Buy some good waterproofing spray and pay close attention to the seams. There are "wax type" waterproofing solutions especially for seams...

I grew up in Iowa. Humid AF. Never had an issue with canvas.
    As noted “takes a little planning”. For sure the longest lasting and most durable without weather that demands a mountaineering tent.
    I lived in a tent in AK months at a time. Canvas worked dandy. Rains a bit there. Occasionally.

EZ up 10x10 pop up and wall kit.
    We've used one for car/truck/base camp for years.
    Way under your budget and plenty elbow room for 2 guys.
    Stake down the legs and corners can take a fair wind.

R

Rthur - good option. I dont like it as good as a cabin tent, but damn good.
    My Euromax (Amazon, $220 on sale) has held up in winds and storms even decent tents were wobbling in.
    Plus the frame makes a place to dry gear, hang lights, etc.
    Wall kit that came with mine included a door and window in one of the walls.
    Just being dry and out of the wind has saved my butt more than once.

Reactions: Rthur and bbhank
    If you want floorless and good ventilation, go with the Kifaru Sawtooth. You can even put a stove in it, and stand up while you get dressed. Just use a tarp with it as a ground covering. There is a learning curve on these things, so set it up at least twice before trying in the field.

If you want to stay dry, look into one of the Hilleburg double-wall tents. You won't be standing up in them, but they are the best tents made in my opinion. I've been in places I couldn't get out of easily, and these tents were the only thing between me and some very high winds. Slept just fine.

I use Seek outside tents. Just got back from our annual winter backpacking trip that was 15 at night and snow. Great tents for cold with the titanium stoves. Great tents for warm/hot without the stove. Light and very rough wind weather sturdy. Built like teepees and air flow available from a little to a lot depending on need. Ton of head room/room for gear and pitch in a few minutes. The Hilleburg mentioned is a great tent if you do real serious expedition style (think Everest base camp) camping. They are too heavy and have a lot of drawback if that is not your intent. Great shelters though.

I have been using a Cabelas Instinct 6 man for the last 5 years, it's just an update to the Cabelas Alaskan guide that I used for the 20 years prior. I've had that tent out in 40mph winds at 15degrees and snowing up to summer days at 85 degrees and POURING and have had no complaints.

We've used for weekend car camping and I've used it for a several 2 week hunting trips camping on BLM in WYO.

The AK Guide is just as solid, but you can stand upright in the Instinct. I gave me Guide to my sis and she's still using it. The only reason I went to Instinct was that you can stand upright in it.

I'm thinking of getting one of those pop-up ice fishing shelters (tents). Looks like they are heavy duty as hell. I noticed in some big cities, they are putting them up for homeless people.

All my experience is with small two person backpacking tents.

D31CBA73-450D-4801-989A-4935099751C4.jpeg

I can’t say enough about my Seek Outside floorless shelters. I have their 16man Tipi and also their Redcliff. I’ve used them in some horrific weather. -30* blizzards with 18in snow falls and been 70* inside with the stove going. The 16man is a palace for a bunch of guys or my family on cots and gear. The Redcliff is good for 2-3 guys on Helinox cots and gear.

i started out with a Cabelas Bighorn outfitters tent with wood stove but barely use it now. It’s extremely heavy and more of a base camp style tent. My 16man stuffs into a pillow case and weighs less than 10lbs

6D06EACF-10CD-423B-BAFD-7EF1D54039F5.jpeg

Here’s my Redcliff and buddy during an ice fishing trip. He’s 6ft 2in for reference. I think it was -17* that weekend. My seek outside box stove would get that tent over 100 degrees inside.

I went the opposite direction with tent camping, with everyone using/packing their own shelter/tent. More room, no snoring, to put up with. However, that is backpacking.

Vehicle or horse packing with 2+ is a different animal. And recommending a good tent is like recommending a car or rifle. Regardless, there are lots of options and canvas has advantages & disadvantages. For bigger tents, durability and construction quality trumps all other concerns IMHO. Buy a good quality tent and it will serve you well.

That said, @Sean the Nailer gave you great advice... location, location, location. Sounds dumb, but site selection and ground prep solves most problems in my experience.

Good luck and good hunting!