• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Auto Help needed near Williams, AZ

What are you guys doing? I broke a transmission in half, and bought a kit and a junkyard one to rebuild. $300 had broke college me back on the road, the rather than $3000 at a shop.

It was $30 for an ATSG manual to figure it out. Wasn't hard.

You guys act like you're spitting parts out of the engine, when most of the times it's stupid little things that just bolt on to the outside. Water pumps, alternators, sensors, etc.

I have two step sons. One sees the financial and mental benefit of fixing things.
The other is more concerned about the time for him to fix stuff vs paying someone else.

Approach #1 is never the wrong answer.
Approach #2 is only valuable if you make significantly more money than the time/cost factor involved.
Working at Cold Stone, selling ice cream doesn't make #2 viable.

Is that cross shaft the oil or fuel pump drive shaft? Looks like it needs a new gear... 🥳
Actually the problem is in plain sight.......didn't cut out the Xs. Why the fuck mark them, if not removing!

Attachments

• Issue.JPG
    Issue.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
Some broken parts In there. Hopefully that was a salvage motor your rebuilding

Some broken parts In there. Hopefully that was a salvage motor your rebuilding
Nothing broken that I recall...but some mis-matching and shitty assembly. It was a motor I had gotten cheap that had a bunch of new parts and was assembled but never started. Good thing, it might have lasted 60 seconds the way it was done. Had brand new KS P+C that didn't have the cosmoline washed off :rolleyes: . NOS genuine VW heads. Lifters were worn out, God knows if they were installed on the same lobes. Two old used rods and two brand new ones. Tons of sealer blocking off oil passages. Quite the mess.

If there are parts left over and it still functions, it just means it was overengineered to start with.