• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 Yard .22LR Palma Match Anyone?

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Thought I'd through this out and see if anyone was interested? This is
a Palma Tryout Target. Our local club will be doing some of these
shoots this year from 200 yards and from the prone position.

100_0347.jpg

100_0346.jpg

Re: 200 Yard .22LR Palma Match Anyone?

That target is meant for iron sights right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timberwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you give me the size of that target. </div></div>

20" outside ring w/ 13" black center. It's the 300 yard Palma Tryout Target. Got them from here;

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/highpower/

It is very close in size to the A21 200 yard smallbore target that I'm getting from the same place, with the A21 having a 12" black center.

I would say yes, they both are most likely iron sight targets, but even with a scoped .22LR, staying in the 9/10 ring (10 Ring 4" & 9 Ring 8") it should still be challenging from 200 yards prone.
smile.gif

I was wondering - during our 22LR tactical matches I use 10" and 8" steel plates at 200 yards and the hit % is around 60 - 70%. I have tried clay birds at 200 (I believe they're 5" diameter) and that's tricky even in the lightest breeze.

Think I'll give those targets a try tommorrow just to see.

I have a 16" diameter 1/4" gong I'm going to rig up behind this target when I get a chance as a hit in the black may not be noticeable even with a high power scope?

I'm thinking the metal would at least give back a "ting" which would help a person know if they are somewhere in the 7 ring or better and
perhaps after 10 shots on the target (if a person's hold is steady) you might see a pattern emerge through your scope if it's in the black?

I think that target would be a great test at 200yds. Let us know how it works out, the metal behind it is a good idea for instant feedback. We're going to try and get some Tactical Rimfire matches together this year. We've been shooting to 225yards so far, at these targets, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/5 scale IPSC's. What a blast. We get a lot of comments from guys shooting centerfire at 100-200 while we're ringing plates further out with little ole rimfires.

TacticalRimfireSpinner.jpg
[/img]

I like it. It seems like a logical adjunct to the 200yd FV centerfire matches we shoot at Odessa. We may just have to work up a target that serves a similar purpose, that we can print out on a computer ourselves.

Greg

I'm thinking a homemade prone iron sight V target, 2" white V, 4" gray 5-ring, 6" gray 4-ring, everything else out to a 1/2" border on an 8 1/2"x11" landscape oriented target worth 3 points, would be as cool as a moose. In fact, this could also be a decent iron sight 200yd V target for Centerfire Palma and/or AROS, then moved inward to 150yd or even 100yd for Iron Sighted .22lr's. The current FV target could be used at 100yd for .22LR smallbore.

Greg

In the future, if multiple tie perfect scores on the FV or Palma V Targets became a problem, a smaller V ring, 1/2 the regular size, could be imposed within the existing V ring, and be a VV/Double V-ring. Under no circumstances do I favor a strategy of reducing ring sizes to accomodate any prevalence toward multiple perfect scores in a match. The VV ring becomes the tie breaker, and only if the V and VV ring counts are identical are shootoffs required.

Greg

Greg, could you post us a picture of the new target design? Would appreciate it!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolex24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that target would be a great test at 200yds. Let us know how it works out, the metal behind it is a good idea for instant feedback. We're going to try and get some Tactical Rimfire matches together this year. We've been shooting to 225yards so far, at these targets, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/5 scale IPSC's. What a blast. We get a lot of comments from guys shooting centerfire at 100-200 while we're ringing plates further out with little ole rimfires.

TacticalRimfireSpinner.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

I do like these metal targets of yours, Rolex24. A member at our local range usually makes us some target swingers from some of his scrap (if any metal these days can be called scrap with the price of it), anyway, if you don't mind I'd like to show him these and see if he could make us a set or two?

Does that say American Target CO or National Target CO on it? What is the part number as well in the box? Thanks.

It says;

The National Target Co. -on the left bottom and- 1992 U.S. Palma Team Tryout Target - on the lower right.

These can be purchased from; http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/

Just go to 'High Power Rifle Targets' on that sight and you'll see them listed as 'Palma Tryout' LR-P

To be clear, the web site above lists the target you have pics of as a 300 yard target, not a 200 yard target. It is intended for center fire, not rimfire, and to be shot at 300 yards.

They do also have the "LR-S MINI-PALMA" target which is intended for 100 yard rimfire shooting.

I know the Whittington Center used to or maybe still do hold 200yd rimfire palma matches. There target was simulated to look like a 1000yd target from 200yd. I'm not exactly sure what the target was or where they got it from but it was specific to that event.

I got looking around on some of the target sights and i do believe the target they where using was the A-21

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFCSkoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the Whittington Center used to or maybe still do hold 200yd rimfire palma matches. There target was simulated to look like a 1000yd target from 200yd. I'm not exactly sure what the target was or where they got it from but it was specific to that event. </div></div>

I believe that would be the A21 200 yard smallbore target from the same site I listed above. The high power LR-P & A21 are very similar in size, and yes the LR-P is a 300 yard centerfire target. I have about 100 of these LR-P targets so I'm in no real hurry to order the A21, though I will before Spring arrives.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I'd through this out and see if anyone was interested? This is
a Palma Tryout Target. Our local club will be doing some of these
shoots this year from 200 yards and from the prone position.

100_0347.jpg

</div></div>

"Palma" Match means prone (sling, no bipod support) and iron sights.

That's what I gather as well.

Using the target for 200 yard rimfire and allowing bipod, sling, scope or open sights is really just a long range .22LR Match. Using a 300 yard Palma Tryout Target doesn't take away from the spirit of the long range match. It's just not a long range Palma Match.

The Subject line would have been better served if I had put;

"200 Yard .22LR Rifle Match Anyone?"

200 yd. STANDING would be fun. I shoot it often, but not in the Winter.

That's fine, you can have your way with my intellectual property! You can also order them from Dave at www.metaltargets.com I know lvtargets has some nice stuff too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I gather as well.

Using the target for 200 yard rimfire and allowing bipod, sling, scope or open sights is really just a long range .22LR Match. Using a 300 yard Palma Tryout Target doesn't take away from the spirit of the long range match. It's just not a long range Palma Match.

The Subject line would have been better served if I had put;

"200 Yard .22LR Rifle Match Anyone?"

</div></div>

I agree completely, 22 at 200 no matter the accessories is a test. The nice thing about the paper is shooting for groups at that distance, I've been avoiding that cause I don't want to see just how bad I really am!

A few of us mid and long range NRA HP shooters get together and shoot our .22 prone rifles at 200 yds at the A21 target. We use our target carriers and pits with pit pullers to mark and pull the targets. We run it just like a HP match the .22Lr standard velocity mimics pretty close the .308 155gr bullet at 1000 yds. Fun, relatively inexpensive and good wind practice.

If I'm not mistaken, the Sac'to Valley Shooting Center has hosted, or will host, a smallbore 'tactical' match, and a smallbore prone match, at distances like you describe.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Make sure your scope or aperture sights have enough 'up' adjustment to hit that far!

Last week I installed a 6-24x42 Tasco Mil-dot scope on my MarkII FVT, and since that time I have been second guessing myself on whether or not to go back to the aperture sights. I haven't even taken a shot as yet with this scope on this rifle.

I've shot way more open and aperture sights then I've ever shot scope and from what I could see of what I had left in adjustment of the Williams rear aperture after zeroing in at 50 yards - I'm pretty sure there would be enough adjustment left to get out to 200 yards.

I really am tempted to switch back to the aperture sight, and I think I will. Crazy as it sounds, I'm more comfortable shooting with that setup then a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crazy as it sounds, I'm more comfortable shooting with that setup then a scope. </div></div>

I put a scope on my 540 the other day and took it to the range and shot a few rounds through it and took it off and put the aperture back on it. it was more fun and comfortable to shoot it.

I finally got a decent day to shoot yesterday so I decided to take my Lakefield Mark I to the range since I had replaced the scope from an old BSA 3-7x20 to a 3-9x32... I figured once I zeroed at 25 yards - 50 yards would be a snap and I could then set this rifle aside for our shorter range competitions this coming Spring & Summmer...

Simply put, I was not impressed at all with this new scope. Sometimes I would have halfway decent one hole groups, while other times the shots were just plain poor, (from both 25 & 50 yards). In all fairness however it could have been my ammo. I was using Winchester T22 Target XT22LR and High Velocity X22LR, both 40 grain bullets. Neither one really shot better then the other.

After 90 rounds of fustration I decided with the last 10 rounds of the X22LR I would go for the 200 yard 24" x 24" gong, even with this scope I had no confidence in.

I aimed center on the gong and saw the bullet kick up brown grass and dirt low in front of the gong, so I aimed a bit higher with the next shot and again hit in front of the gong again but it did appear closer... The next shot I aimed a bit higher and I hit the gong, (low on it I figured?) I went a bit more higher and hit it again! Out of the the last six shots remaining I hit that gong 4 more times, giving me 6 hits out of the 10 from 200 yards.

I decided to walk down and take a look at the gong (it's 1/2" thick so when I did hit it the report sounded like a "Tic" rather then a "Ting". I found all six splats low on the gong (I figured they were mine as they were within 12" or so of each other high and low across the bottom area), so I did feel good about that.

I still think I prefer the peeps, but I'll give the Tasco 6-24x42 its chance at 200 yards before switching the back to the peeps on the Mark II FVT...