• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are going to have competitors spread out for miles in extremely rugged country, off trail, at night, and with no GPS. This will be beyond some competitors' abilities to navigate successfully and beyond some competitors' physical abilities. Even if the intended back-country race area is "only" maybe 15 square miles, there is nothing stopping a lost team from wandering miles outside of the property boundaries by accident, which expands the search area dramatically. If someone strays a mile outside that increases the possible area by over 2x.

Like SRSDriver said, we have a pretty minimal "required gear" list; it is there to provide a baseline of safety equipment out in the field so that a lost team (or those coming to their aid) has a better chance of success (which means being found and surviving and reducing the impact of injuries). </div></div>

Point taken, and I appreciate your candor that this will be outside of some competitors abilities. I also know that you guys have put a ton of work into this and are trying to make it as safe as possible.

I guess my initial heartburn in the gear list is because of my mountaineering background. In that world, duplicated gear, even safety gear, is frowned upon. The reasoning is that light is fast , and fast is safe. I can understand that the goals of this event are different. Cheers.

hey, anyone that is looking for a hotel, Western Inn, right off I-15 in Tremonton, has rooms. I just made reservations.

They are at 435.257.3999 www.westerninntremonton.com

Don't know anything about the spot, so this isn't a recommendation, just information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check-in and race start is at the SniperCountry lodge at the provided coordinates. Most of the hard land nav and challenges will be within the boxed area, though.
</div></div>

So we are starting the race @ 12T 0403295 4644355? This location seems to be more than a couple of miles east of the boxed area.

Are we expected to have to hike/walk/run the 4+ miles of road between the Sniper Country Lodge and the boxed area? There seems to be private properties between the lodge and the boxed field.

Can you expand on the 'danger area' -specifically as to the dimensions of the area? perhaps a radius to be avoided? I would like to be able to clearly mark these areas on the map.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It won't be boring don't worry.</div></div>

"won't be boring" is exactly what I am worry about..... ;-)

After the given time, you cannot be anywhere in the quadrant north-east of MCP-11, so if you plot MCP-11 and then draw a line straight north at 12'o'clock and straight east at 3'o'clock, don't be anywhere in that area.

The other danger area is south of the main range road that goes along the bottom of Broad Canyon, which is appriximately 4641000.

You've mentioned that water will be provided at various checkpoints. I was wondering if any food/nutrition will be provided? Just figuring out how much food I'll need to bring.

Zak, sorry for starting a whine fest, I appreciate the match your team is putting on and I respect the dangers we will be encountering and the safety gear your demanding for the situation.

On a separate note, i had a few more questions. First, would it be acceptable to just bring a light stretcher and a light rain coat instead of the tarp/poncho strong enough to handle a casualty? Second, is it acceptable to have multiple optics on the carbine? ie. I am planning to run an acog main optic with an aimpoint t1 on 45 degree mount. And lastly, I thought I saw mention of "limited water" at "some" of the checkpoints. Does this mean that teams will be limited on how much they take at each filling station, or will it be first come first serve? I ask because I been burning major h2o in my training hikes, like 2 miles to the liter on average, more when climbing heavy and trying to find out if that is going to f me during the match.

Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if any food/nutrition will be provided? </div></div>
No

No, the gear list is the gear list at this point.

There is no rule against additional optics on the carbine.

There will be water at roughly half the checkpoints. It will be first come first serve but we will refill them as they empty. So it is possible you could come to a checkpoint and the water barrel could have just gone empty. The route sheet will note where there is water placed, so you'll know where the next water is. Also, there are some emergency natural water sources on the property, but water from there sources would have to be treated/filtered.

hope this helps
Zak

Can we kill a snake if we have to: Would that be a match DQ for an intentional discharge and for killing an animal, or do we have a necessity defense/appeal to the match director?

Is an Israeli bandage acceptable in place of the H bandage?

We're sticking with the H bandage.

Just another note on the "Required Gear List" and associated penalties. There is a per-missing-item penalty listed in the draft handout. Some of the items, though, you cannot start the race unless you have. These would be the core safety items. For example, if you do not have a tweezers, you'd just get the penalty; if you don't have a compass, you're not starting the race until you have one.

As for shooting snakes, the match rules and the range rules prohibit shooting when not under the supervision and instruction of a range officer-- for obvious reasons.

Stepping back, it is possible that circumstances may develop in this event in which teams will have to act outside the scope of the scoring to be safe or to aid others who are in jeopardy. If the situation has that gravity, scoring or a possible DQ are insignificant priorities. That said, as match director my goal is to do the right thing with regard to people who have to handle an emergency situation during the event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we kill a snake if we have to: Would that be a match DQ for an intentional discharge and for killing an animal, or do we have a necessity defense/appeal to the match director? </div></div>

Just run... The rattlesnakes in these parts are usually pretty small. You can't hang them over car bumpers with one end dragging on each side.
smile.gif

Radio question,

Can we bring our own radios and program them for the match frequencies? Radio I would like to run is the Yaesu FT-60.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just another note on the "Required Gear List" and associated penalties. There is a per-missing-item penalty listed in the draft handout. Some of the items, though, you cannot start the race unless you have. These would be the core safety items. For example, if you do not have a tweezers, you'd just get the penalty; if you don't have a compass, you're not starting the race until you have one.

</div></div>

Can we get a list as to what items are considered core safety items?

No. You're supposed to bring everything on the req'd gear list. Whether or not we let a team start (with penalties) that is missing some of the required items will depend on the totality of the other safety gear they do have.

FYI

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 03:34:02PM -0700
> 3 questions:
>
> 1) maps of the AO will be provided, right? Particular map is not on the
> required gear list

You'll get a copy of the map we have a link to on the page, from MyTopo.

> 2) with respect to the "pen style" flares, if I couldn't find the
> "pen-style", can I get the pistol style marine flares?

If Tru Flare is out of stock, a pistol style marine flare is
acceptible.

> 3) with respect to the "combat gauze", I do have celox & traditional gauze
> in my trauma kit, is that good enough? Or do I need to go get a pack of
> Quikclot Combat Gauze(TM).

The Combat Gauze. This way all trauma kits are standardized.

thanks

--
# Zak Smith
# COMPETITION DYNAMICS "World Class Extreme Practical Shooting Events
# Run By Professionals" http://www.COMPETITION-DYNAMICS.com for event info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtolean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strobe FS here on the 'Hide-</div></div>A word to the wise: You can find those strobes, new, for $75 any day of the week. Google is your friend.

Zak, I'm having some difficulty locating a source for the pencil flare launcher and flares, do you or anyone reading this have any suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trouble-shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm having some difficulty locating a source for the pencil flare launcher and flares, do you or anyone reading this have any suggestions?</div></div>Gander Mountain boating section.

The flares can be purchased directly from tru-flare with the hazmat and shipping waved if you are in the Denver metro area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kahles USA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna be a great time. Beth and I are packing getting ready for the match!

See everyone there!

</div></div>

Ken and Beth, we are glad to have your capable help!

Yikes, had no idea what they cost as my partner had a couple. Thanks for sorting me out.

You will be issued a 1:25000 map of the main "boxed" area, the exact same map from MyTopo that is linked to on the match web site.

Note that this does not include the lodge area.

Shirts came in..

Do we have a workable road GPS address for the Sniper Country Lodge?

I bet google earth could get you close enough.

Here are the directions

From Tremonton UT, continue on I-15 north.
Take exit 392 for UT-13 S toward Plymouth.

Cross over the highway to get onto the frontage road that is on the
west side of I15. Continue north on this frontage road about 4 miles.

Turn right onto 24000 N Rd

Go slowly past the residence, heading east. This road becomes bumpy
and you go through a gate, then you arrive at SniperCountry.

This should put you right at the lodge coordinates I posted before

Zak,

At all time we should NOT be south of 4641000, right? except following the road to MCP-9, correct?

So, even when we are west of 0388000, we don't really want to wander south of 4641000, correct?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MCP-9</div></div>Are the mandatory checkpoints other than MCP-11 posted?

The ONLY points that are currently posted are MCP-11 and the lodge location. MCP-11 because it defines the location of a danger area that develops as shooters move into the last of the shooting stages. The lodge location so you know where to show up at noon Friday, also where the event begins.

The location of MCP-9 is not known, other than you can correctly conclude from the "DANGER AREAS" section that the main range road going down Broad Canyon eventually goes to it or gets real close.

Basically, you do not want to go south of the main Broad Canyon range road (close to 4641000 on the east end) unless you are going directly to a checkpoint that is just barely south of it.

Prior to race departure, you'll be issued a route sheet that has all MCP-1 to MCP-14 listed, along with all the bonus checkpoint coordinates.

Also, there will be a danger area NE of MCP-5 at all times. You don't know where that is yet, but keep it in mind.

The danger areas will be listed on the route sheet that you will be issued.

damn, I just read the Facebook page. <span style="font-weight: bold"> $75000 worth of kit on the prize table. That is some super support from the industry.</span> Given how much we are putting out in terms of blood, sweat and (probably) tears, this type of support is really really appreciated. Big thanks to all sponsors. I will certainly look to do business w/ them in future.

Zak-
p. 4 of the WARNING ORDER lists the danger area north east of MCP-11 as the impact zone for MCP-11, 12, and 13. However MCP-11 is NOT listed as a shooting stage on pp. 5-6 (MCP-1,-2,-8,-9,-12 and -13 are the six listed). Is the danger area impact zones a mistake or otherwise?
thanks,
-James

Thanks Zak, Ray & Cody. Can't wait to get it on!

I've got an extra strobe for you rak187. PM me and we'll work it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ray, Cody, and I are heading to UT tomorrow to do final setup and get everything ready for you guys. </div></div>

Does that mean no more commo until we meet face to face?

Psyched!
cool.gif

Or, as kids say these days: I'm Stoked!
laugh.gif