• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

zak, not a big deal but 2 oz of antibiotic ointment will last a lifetime. typo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">d. all carbine and pistol cartridges must be carried loaded in magazines. At least one magazine for each must be accessible without digging into the rucksack.
e. both long guns must be equipped with slings appropriate for safe carry.</div></div>
My team's rifle and carbine will each be carried in an Eberlestock pack in the scabbard. Is this sufficient or do we also need a sling for purposes other than movement between points?

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Regarding rule e, is there any guidance on the number of rounds we will need for each weapon system? I only currently have 3 five round magazines for my AICS chassis and missed this requirement until now.</span>. Sorted.

Due to injury I will be unable to compete this year. If there is anyone that can run carbine with my partner you are welcome to use my gear and entry fee minus weapons. If there is an RO that would like to compete I will make myself available to take your place with Zak's approval.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding rule e, is there any guidance on the number of rounds we will need for each weapon system? I only currently have 3 five round magazines for my AICS chassis and missed this requirement until now. </div></div>A close reading of the Rule (d) that you posted indicates that it applies only to carbines and pistols.

Ahhh, thanks for compensating for my lapse in attention to detail.

You're welcome.

I charge $240 an hour.
laugh.gif

See you there!

We set the majority of the checkpoint markers and built all the targets today. It's extremely hot and this is a tough course! We have enough water containers for 400 gallons placed around the course, not counting any that are refilled throughout the event.

cashalance, no typo.

Vinson, the rules say the rifle and carbine must both have a sling.

On one of the stages, there will be a Barrett MRAD with a TBAC 338BA suppressor and a Trijicon TARS scope shooting Lapua .338 LM ammunition for bonus points.

Zak Smith said:
On one of the stages, there will be a Barrett MRAD with a TBAC 338BA suppressor and a Trijicon TARS scope shooting Lapua .338 LM ammunition for bonus points. [/quote

Which reticle in the TARS and will their be supplied DOPE?

Zak,

100 rounds of pistol ammo.

Rule d

"all carbine and pistol cartridges must be carried loaded in magazines."

I am carrying a 1911 with 8 rd mags in 45 acp. 100/8 = 13 mags.

Is that correct; 13 mags?

6.5x47

I don't know right now what reticle is in the TARS but we will provide a dope card in the appropriate units and we will have tested it on the bonus targets.

I can confirm that 100/8 is 12.5...

The suggested round count is sufficient for most teams to finish the match. If you hit every target on the first shot, you'll require a lot less. It is possible you may need more if you cannot hit some targets.

If you hit everything first shot you wouldn't need more than 40 for any weapons category.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,

There is no required amount of ammo to carry. I will give further guidance before the match about the minimum round count required to engage all targets (ie shoot at each target once); however, 100 total pistol rounds (between the two members) will be more than enough. It is likely to take many shooters more than one round to *hit* a target, and this will be allowed on some but not all of the shooting stages.

ETA- yes, the magazine rule is still in effect. </div></div>

Did I misunderstand this post? 100 rounds pistol per person or team? I thought it was per team thus about 50 per person minimum. Could that be clarified yet again?

The scope on the MRAD is a TARS103. I shot it today and it's a good piece of mil/mil kit. The MRAD shoots bug holes with the 300 grain Scenars provided by our friends at Lapua.

no rain up there today? i just pulled into salt lake, pooring!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope on the MRAD is a TARS103. I shot it today and it's a good piece of mil/mil kit. The MRAD shoots bug holes with the 300 grain Scenars provided by our friends at Lapua.</div></div>

It will be fun shooting the suppressed MRAD! With the TARS optic!
(especially when we do not have to hump that rifle, and the ammo)

Thanks, Barrett.

Thanks, Trijicon.

Thanks, Lapua.

:)

I posted a picture of the MRAD w/TARS on our FB page here.

"Like" us while you are there.

SHIPPING

If you want to have items dropped shipped to me (pen flares for example)they must arrive no later than tomorrow (Tuesday) and we will truck them to the match. Here is the address:

Jeff Hamilton
Competition Dynamics
3333 W 149th Ct.
Broomfield, CO 80023
303-731-9927

Anyone know, Does the Dark Angel trauma/blow out kit have all of the required components?

(Specifically, the Dark Angel kit rolled gauze varies by availability, rather than specifically being Kerlex).

Kerlix name brand is the only potential discrepancy I found. I'm rolling
with just the kit.

The req'd gear list does not mention topping it up so that leads me to believe it is good to hook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cashalanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zak, not a big deal but 2 oz of antibiotic ointment will last a lifetime. typo?
</div></div>
cashalance, no typo.
</div></div>

On the plus side cashalanche, you'll have plenty if you need some lube. Never know when you might want a gob of lube. Good luck explaining that one as a legitimate use however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The req'd gear list does not mention topping it up so that leads me to believe it is good to hook.</div></div>
It's the team's responsibility to bring everything on the gear list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The req'd gear list does not mention topping it up so that leads me to believe it is good to hook.</div></div>

</div></div>

Is an equivalent product to kerlix ok ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The req'd gear list does not mention topping it up so that leads me to believe it is good to hook.</div></div>

</div></div>

Is an equivalent product to kerlix ok ? </div></div>

I'll be wearing shorts, no shirt, and sandals but I will have my roll of Kerlex [sic].

Today we set the rest of the stages and the rest of the bonus checkpoints. The semi-truck from ArmorWorks with the off-road vehicles will be arriving on Wed night..

Really starting to get excited for this. Thanks to all you guys that have helped make this possible!

Anyone has extra set of flares? We still have troubles on those.

Best of Luck to all involved. What a cool event.

Jicko- I can lend you a pen flare- but I only have one pen flare launcher.You may be able to score just the launcher on an overnight ship off of eBay. If so, you can run two of my white flares

Just wondering, during the match is there going to be mandatory down time? In other words, will there be periods of time where movement/activity will be restricted?

No, except there will be some restrictions where you cannot shoot stage X, Y, etc until a certain time. There will be plenty to do in the interim....

Hey cool thanks for the heads up on the FB page. I'm really not a fan of FB and figured you had to be a member of FB to see the page. Thanks for making it public. As a past and returning TBATC shooter I've been keeping tabs on this match. Unfortunately, the Sniper Challenge is totally out of my league but hopefully it draws the top shooters because we're shooting the WTRC the same weekend and if you guys have the best shooters we might have a good chance at a great finish.

Zak,

Will there be a handy spot to check zeros before the start? No biggie if not, but thought I'd ask.

All of the points are set. By my best guess, the competitors are looking at 10k in elevation gain over 30 miles. +- 10% depending on route selection. Most of the land nav points are on major terrain features and set at the yellow level and few at the orange level, for those of you that are familiar with orinteering. No trickery here.
Make sure you are hydrating now. It's hot. Make sure your nutrition is dialed in and have a plan to replace electrolytes.
A note on the gear list. Guys, you are scaring me with some of the questions I'm reading on here. Have faith that we have selected items for the gear list that will increase you chances of survival. There are jagged spines with drop offs hundreds of feet, dense lush forrest, and open dry areas that you will all cross. In some areas the vegetation is so dense, even the strobe will not penetrate, thats why you are required to carry an ariel flare. I have received several PMs and emails complaining about particular items. The gear list is the gear list. If you sustain in an injury in certain areas on this course I can get a medical team in pretty quick with a light load and work on getting a full recovery with the vehicle spread we have from Armor Works. We have worked hard to bring you a professional event, where you will be challenged and humbled. But make no mistake, there is danger involved in this type of activity. May the best tactical athlete win!

Just "yellow" and "orange"? Are there that many "line features" on the field? There don't seems to be too many based on the provided Topo map.....

---------------------
YELLOW: the “advanced beginner” course, (2-3 km).
Controls are on distinct line features (eg. paths) or raised
point features (e.g. knolls) immediately adjacent to a line
feature and are close together. Routes between controls
follow line features with only a few junctions to
negotiate between controls. More challenging than the
White course, the Yellow course may be appropriate for
a starting adult orienteer or older teenagers who have
some confidence in their ability to read a map.
Orienteers at the White and Yellow levels should be
mastering the BEGINNING SKILLS of orienting the
map and basic map reading.

ORANGE: the “intermediate” course will generally NOT stay
on trails. Controls may be on prominent features that are
reasonably close to an attack point or a line feature.
Catching line features are found behind controls on long
legs to make mistakes fairly painless. The quickest route
choice may be through runnable forest, but an alternative
using line features is available. The legs of an Orange
Course may vary widely in length and should offer
distinct route choices. Orienteers at the Orange level
should be mastering the INTERMEDIATE SKILLS.
------------------

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're worried about it being too easy, don't.</div></div>

I was worried that it is being harder than it sound..... the field, the distance, the lack of "line features" (path, trail, road, stream etc...) etc.. making this at least more like green/red course rather than yellow/orange....
frown.gif

30 miles, with 10k elevation gain, non-stop.... *scary*.....

Is a ridge line not a "line feature"? Again, They are set at yellow-orange levels. Green/red/brown/blue are all controls that have the same difficulty in orienteering, just distances vary. That level is expert. We have yellow (advanced beginner) and orange (intermediate) on this course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is a ridge line not a "line feature"? Again, They are set at yellow-orange levels. Green/red/brown/blue are all controls that have the same difficulty in orienteering, just distances vary. That level is expert. We have yellow (advanced beginner) and orange (intermediate) on this course.</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up! Certainly will increase the chance of my team finding them in the middle of the night...