• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Any updates on the first aid kits?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Standard 36"X24" military duffel bag </div></div>

Will this be required to be carried as well during the entire competition?

Hi Zak, sent the app for our team, but was curious, am I missing the equipment list on your site? I'd like to email a link to my partner where we can watch it as it updates.

All I see is the partial one in this thread.

It's not posted yet. The partial list on Page 5 of this thread is for people who wanted to get started. I am waiting on some vendor details before I post the main list. It is not much more involved, but it does detail the minimum first aid and trauma kit contents.

All righty.

Never hiked in that part of the state, but have in the Uintas, and it's a place to have the listed items to be prepared for the worst.

Zak,

Can we buy/bring the TruFlare launcher and buy flares from you? Or buy them and have them shipped to you? Flying with those babies seems to be harder than flying with ammo.... (actually they are not legal to fly with, even in checked luggages)

LL

Just bumping this up to see if anyone out there needs a partner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bumping this up to see if anyone out there needs a partner? </div></div>

Jong,
At the risk of stating the obvious, my personal experience with finding a partner for a team event was that searching closer, within my known set of shooting colleagues, was the most fruitful. Do everything you can to exhaust the potential partners that you could train with closer to home first. My success with finding some one on SH or other boards was poor.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff,

I definitely realize this. I work in Iraq and what I call home I haven't spent much time there at all. Just a shot in the dark and that is about all I can do.

Thanks,

Dave

Jong,

send me an email about your skills and what you are looking for in a partner. Zak and I can see if we can find someone to team with you that makes sense.

[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gear list
http://competition-dynamics.com/24-hour-sniper-adventure-challenge-2012/gear.php </div></div>

Several questions come to mind regarding the gear list:

1) What are approved storage methods for long-range rifle ammunition?

2) The gear list includes whistle and whistle carried on outside of pack - does each team member have to carry two?

3) Are there any of the Ultralight Adventure Medical Kits that you would recommend as a starting point, or that would contain all necessary items?

1. Unspecified so however you want.
2. Corrected to: "1 whistle (always with you - not tucked in pack)"
3. The 0.7 and 0.9 are pretty close but both need additions. We couldn't find one that had everything we wanted, so you'll have to add a little bit to any "stock" starting point. Personally I'd go with the 0.7 and just add the few things extra.

Zak, do you have an estimated maximum weight of the gear (radio/gps) that we will be given prior to the match and required to carry with us?

So far, with rifle, pistol, ammo and required accesories my pack weighs in at 36 lbs. Adding a gallon of water will make it 42lbs.

In my experience, 40-45lbs is maximum for long distance travel without injury. I am concerned at being already at or near a prudent maximum weight.

Hi,

You are required to bring a GPS that we will seal in a tamper-proof manner. It is required for safety in case you get really lost. We are not issuing you the GPS. (The minimum standard for the GPS is something that can give you usable coordinates.)

The radio will weigh approx 14 ounces.

Thanks. If I can't get a smaller one I'll add my Nomad, then, and I'll be all-set at under 45lbs.
smile.gif

I did 2.5 Miles the other day at 40lbs, without the heat or the altitude, and I anticipate that this match will be a serious gut-check.
cool.gif

Has everything congealed properly with regard to the boundaries and the access??
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have 33 teams signed up as of today. I've posted all the teams' initials to this thread
http://www.thunderbeastarms.com/forum/threads/2012-24-hour-sniper-adventure-challenge.130/
If you have sent in an application but do not see your team there, let me know ASAP - might have been lost in the mail.

Counting the couple I know are enroute, we have about team 15 slots left. </div></div>

I dropped an application in the mail today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has everything congealed properly with regard to the boundaries and the access?</div></div>
One way or another, yes.

A lot of the things that were problematic for the SHC are simply not an issue because all you guys will be on foot.
cool.gif

Tried to read everything over fairly thoroughly... A few questions:

I know "field craft" was reffered to but i didnt see anything about concealment equipment needed ie: Ghillie suit

Im assuming there is none needed?

Also round count (minimums)? what does that mean? Im assuming if we miss we'll be given a chance of correction but is there any benefit to needing more than the suggested minimums? I assume you guys know the exact number of targets to be engaged.

Also i couldnt find the suggested gear list... maybe im an idiot.

Ive never been out that way but Can you shoot off bipod legs? Or are tripods suggested? thanks.

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered. I think i looked fairly well.

Ghillie suit not required.
Round count is a safe number for an average team. You will not always be able to re-engage. Sometimes you will.
There are links to the require gear list on the front page of the match web site and also on the rules tab.
You can bring whatever you want that is not prohibited by the rules, including bipods or tripods.

Zak,
How many teams are you taking again for the cutoff?

I am trying to talk my brother into shooting this with me. We both have been training/working out much more lately and this may be a good motivator for us to work towards.

I've switched the 24HSAC registration to use the same online system that I'm using for the SHC.

Everyone should have received an email with their account link.

Please check your status online, make corrections. About the only thing you can't do yourselves is change the primary email account. Email me if I couldn't transcribe your handwriting correctly for that.

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've switched the 24HSAC registration to use the same online system that I'm using for the SHC.

Everyone should have received an email with their account link.

Please check your status online, make corrections. About the only thing you can't do yourselves is change the primary email account. Email me if I couldn't transcribe your handwriting correctly for that.

thanks</div></div>

No e-mail showing up here...

I entered them manually and some handwriting was illegible. If neither you nor your partner got email, shoot me an email with both your emails and names and I'll fix it and resend the link.

thanks

Should we expect a laser rangefinder to be essential kit, or can it safely be assumed that distances will be provided? Just want to confirm that I need an LRF before dropping the coin on something worth having...since there isn't really an unknown distances range anywhere within a 6 hour drive of here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If neither you nor your partner got email, shoot me an email with both your emails and names and I'll fix it and resend the link.</div></div>No e-mail for us yet, but I won't bother you with an e-mail request. Will there be a team inspection, with points deducted if we don't have all the correct equipment (ie: Finland Comp) and, if so, will it take place before or during the match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If neither you nor your partner got email, shoot me an email with both your emails and names and I'll fix it and resend the link.</div></div>No e-mail for us yet, but I won't bother you with an e-mail request. Will there be a team inspection, with points deducted if we don't have all the correct equipment (ie: Finland Comp) and, if so, will it take place before or during the match? </div></div>

I'll let Zak comment, but the way I interpret it, both...

If you show up to a checkpoint and they ask to see your compass, which you either left behind, or did without (ya know, high speed low drag!) then you get a penalty for missing mandatory equipment.

Graham, I must have gotten your email wrong. Please email me and I'll get it fixed.

There will be an equipment inspection at check-in, and then at any point in the event you can be required to produce any item.

thanks
Zak

Zak-

Question for you-

I have seen some videos of past matches you have run. Is there any set of videos that you would recommend we watch to help us get idea of the shooting scenarios you might have in 24H SAC? I looked on Youtube under "Competition Dynamics" but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any advice...

-James

Any update if we will be able to ship ammo/pen flares to an on sight location for all the dudes who have to fly in?

Thanks
PJ

Is there a local vendor for the pen flares? I'm even a little worried about getting across the border with my ammo. Just don't want any excuse to be hung up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a local vendor for the pen flares? I'm even a little worried about getting across the border with my ammo. Just don't want any excuse to be hung up. </div></div>
Anything you guys need to buy and have drop shipped to me is fine. I will bring it all with me to the match. Email me to make arrangements: [email protected]

Will we be expected to hit 1 moa targets with most of the Carbine shots? Or more like chest size targets?

Holy crap there are alot of questions on here. Apologies for being out of touch for awhile, and good job zak for answering them all. I just want to add this, and I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole but if you guys keep trying to read between the lines you are setting yourself up for failure. You will get a simple set of instructions for each task at the match, the clock is running, comprehension of it is on you. Read, listen and pay attention. Your success and safety will depend on it. Another reality check, it's going to be hot, and it's going to be hard. You will carry your gear which will weigh about 50 pounds, 30-50 miles (or less if you quit) through some mountainous terrain. And there will be blood. Comfort will only slow you down. Your training plan is this 50-40-30. 50 pounds, 40 miles, 30 hours. "It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I'd never want another."