• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

A word on packs. I get alot of questions on what pack to carry for this. My generic answer is "the one that you like the best that holds the gear list". Okay, so here is what I'd really recommend. In my order of preference.
1) Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 or Nimbus Trace 62
These are really light weight packs, but are built sturdy. I have a military issued GG pack and the harness kicks butt, the straps don't roll over and dig in, and they have molle on the belt, a must for the holster and mag pouches. The GG hip belts are ultra comfortable. These packs just fit me right. Price is on the money too.
2) Kifaru Ultra lights. I have a couple of Kifaru products and the construction seems to be bomber. I am a little sketched out about the thin material on these as it seems that if it catches some barbed wire the entire pack will rip open. But there is molle on the belt and the thin hip belt is key for getting a good fit. Price is up there.
3) ALICE pack with a TAG belt, straps and frame. Old reliable. Hard to beat.
I'd also roll with some sort of micro chest rig (4 mags and a radio). Breathable, or split front would be nice so your heart doesn't punch a hole in it on some of the hills on this course.

Bottom line is this. The pack is important, but a strong back and an unbreakable spirit is what you should really be looking for.

I'm currently trained-up to walking five miles with my X3 Lo Drag, rifle and all in it, at 48 pounds with 4 litres of water. It's comfy for the first few hours. We'll see if I hit the usual wall at hour three...

I'd like to get down closer to 40lbs, though, and I'm not sure where to cut weight. In my experience 40lbs is the (my) cut-off for long distance without injury.

This match won't be easy, but I think it will be some good clean fun!
smile.gif

3 hours to hit the wall? This is not good my friend. 3 hours is barely scratching the surface on this match. You will need to put out for 10X that time just to finish the race, plus you need to think, shoot, and move. Do some research on nutrition. Plan on 20 grams of carbohydrates and 5 grams of protein per hour at a minimum. Or as Zak says, "Two Mountain Dews every hour".

I wouldn't recommend two Mountain Dews every hour but it's worked for me.

Just kidding.

G-TAC, RayDog, and I were at SniperCountry this weekend. I'll post some stuff when I get back. For now, some trivia: the lowest point is about 4800' and the highest is about 7000'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys might want to watch Die Hard 3.
</div></div>

Is that the one with the ceramic pistol? That would probably be lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 hours to hit the wall? This is not good my friend. 3 hours is barely scratching the surface on this match.</div></div>Not THE wall, the first wall: The first time that if anything isn't fitting right, or going right, that cramps or old injuries start nagging at the mind. Nothing more than that, but I haven't been there in a while.

Perhaps I need to dust-off my ascot, because my wife said I couldn't take my two necessities from the mantlepiece to the match.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Insect repellent advised </div></div>Note to self: Leave the pleated pants at home. On May 20, 1799, as Napoleon's twelve thousand troops retreated after failing to take Acre, they marched south starving, parched and boiling under thick cotton vests wearing ninety pounds of armor. Most died. They wore white woolen breeches and/or white hemp linen overalls that attracted all manner of insects from lice, to mosquitoes and fleas. Not a good death: No insect repellent, sunscreen or Mountain Dew.
wink.gif

What are the chances that a guy could just go solo? My partner appears to be giving up on me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the chances that a guy could just go solo? My partner appears to be giving up on me. </div></div>PM inbound. If your land nav skills are good I have a contact for you.

My partner has developed a medical problem and withdrawn.

Anyone interested in discussing a possible partnership please PM.

If you've been reading this thread and thinking about signing up, now is the time. We have one regular team slot left, then it'll go to the wait list.

That ranger was not worthy of it's name. It quit an hour into it's patrol. All we asked it to do was climb 6000 vertical feet in 3 miles, carrying a light load. They should have called it the "polaris sailor". Then I would have had a better idea of what it was capable of.

Was out there on Friday with Mike ringing steel with the SRS Covert and the venue is epic. I think the sun / heat will prove the biggest foe as there's nowhere to hide from it out there. That said, it's pretty wide open terrain so NAV shouldn't be too much of a nightmare if you have basic topographic map skills.

Looks like beautiful terrain, but I'm wondering how hot it's going to get in July, even at those altitudes... Am I seeing aspen trees on some of the upper peaks in the satellite photos, BTW?

For those of us using DBM precision rifles, any advice as to how many magazines may be necessary for the stages of fire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like beautiful terrain, but I'm wondering how hot it's going to get in July, even at those altitudes... Am I seeing aspen trees on some of the upper peaks in the satellite photos, BTW?

For those of us using DBM precision rifles, any advice as to how many magazines may be necessary for the stages of fire?</div></div>

Depends on the year but lower 90's for high temps should be expected, triple digits are not out of the question. 7800 ft is pretty low altitude to expect a massive temp drop out here. It'll be cooler up high but not by much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of us using DBM precision rifles, any advice as to how many magazines may be necessary for the stages of fire?</div></div>
If you can go 1:1, one ten rounder would be OK. I'd recommend to bring at least one extra, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of us using DBM precision rifles, any advice as to how many magazines may be necessary for the stages of fire?</div></div>
If you can go 1:1, one ten rounder would be OK. I'd recommend to bring at least one extra, though. </div></div>

So three 5-rounders will likely be sufficient then, I'm presuming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on the year but lower 90's for high temps should be expected, triple digits are not out of the question. 7800 ft is pretty low altitude to expect a massive temp drop out here. It'll be cooler up high but not by much.</div></div>

What about lows during the night?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What about lows during the night?</div></div>

I'd be prepared for possible low's in the upper 40's.

Also we are looking for any 18D's that might be willing to provide medical support. It looks like Armor Works wis going to let us use the Hyena vehicle for medical support.

Those Hyena's look pretty cool, I just hope I don't have to be carried away in one!

"Polaris Sailor" hahahaha it ran just fine on flat ground. Mike

Hi guys, this is Mike I am the general manager at Sniper Country and salesman for DTA. We have some openings in the lodge as well as some areas for sleeping bags for this 24 hour match. Email me for the details. Spots are pretty limited and will be filled on a first pay basis. Email me for more details [email protected]

As it stands today, there is water an average of every 4.5 miles over the shortest route, with the longest interval at 7.5 miles. Transit over the segments making the 7.5 mile interval will happen at night.

Thanks Zak! After getting a better feel for what you guys are doing with this, I know this will be a competition that is talked about for years to come! I am glad we are a part of it!

For those who have sent me emails, I am responding to them today. I am sending them out in the order that I got them and giving each person some time to get a hold of me before I send the next email.

We have space for ten people in the lodge from Monday to Thursday. From Thursday through Monday we have 2 rooms with 2 beds in each room available. We only have 2 spots left on Thursday and Saturday night. Cost is $75 a person per night. The lodge has a full kitchen, 3 bathrooms, laundry, Wi-Fi; it is a very nice, open place. You can see pictures of the lodge at snipercountrytraining.com.

From Thursday through Monday morning we will have up to 30 “sleeping bag sites”. These will be under a large event tent and you will have use of a cot. These spots will have access to the bathrooms, kitchen etc at the lodge. We will also set up a fire pit. The event tent will be set up right next to the lodge. These spots are $25 a night.

THESE SPOTS WILL BE RESERVED IN ORDER OF PAYMENT. Please note as we are a small company a 3% convenience charge has to be added to all credit card payments. The closest hotel is roughly 20 miles away.

There will also be a barbeque available to use.

*Note only those who have paid for use of the lodge/camp site and its amenities will have access to them*

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me. Good luck at the event

Sincerely,

Mike Davis
General Manager Sniper Country
[email protected]

Do you guys have a spot to park a van that I camp in?

We can probably find somewhere close that you can park your van. We will have to re-visit this when we get a few other things worked out.

I wish I could shoot it too! I think this this is going to be the most epic match of all time. If you are into this sort of thing of course. As always, TBACTG and Competition Dynamics have really put a ton of effort into the shooting stages to make them awesome, and it's looking like the flow of the course is going to challenge the toughest competitors. Setting a match like this has proven to a challenge in the remote wilderness, but the logistics support of the Armor Work's Hyena )http://defensetech.org/2011/10/04/armor-works-hyena-stealthy-spec-ops-truck/) will allow us to reach any distressed competitor within half an hour from the time we receive the call. As of right now, we have a very capable medical staff to include, a physician with ultra marathon and SAR experience, a SF Surgeon with combat deployments and an WEMT-P, that has taught for several years at NOLS and has traveled the world in support of disaster relief.
With that being said, there is still danger involved in this match. Heat injuries are going to be our number one enemy on this course. You need to physically prepare yourself for this if you want to finish on your feet. For some of you this will be the hardest thing you have ever done. For others it will be a friday night with some good training. Study your maps prior to game day. We are going to offer a medical considerations and wilderness medicine seminar on Thursday before the match for those that are interested. Details to be posted soon. And it also looks like we will offer land navigation classes here in Wyoming before the match as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We are going to offer a medical considerations and wilderness medicine seminar on Thursday before the match for those that are interested. </div></div>

Glad to see you guys are doing this. You had us build a great trauma kit for our packs, but, more importantly, guys need to know how to use all this stuff in their IFAKs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You might have to do something in here
H104_0407_img.jpg

</div></div>

Can we get a grid on this loc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You might have to do something in here
H104_0407_img.jpg

</div></div>

</div></div>

Really?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

That would kinda defeat the whole point of the race...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give you a hint, it's somewhere in the 78 square km surrounding 0392 4644.

</div></div>

LOL.
laugh.gif

Is it vic 8742? Fun w/ map recon guessing games!

DANGIT- I registered too late. But Im on the list!

Is the magazines rule still in effect: That all pistol rounds must be carried in magazines; meaning that we will need to bring enough pistol mags to carry 100 rounds?

Hi,

There is no required amount of ammo to carry. I will give further guidance before the match about the minimum round count required to engage all targets (ie shoot at each target once); however, 100 total pistol rounds (between the two members) will be more than enough. It is likely to take many shooters more than one round to *hit* a target, and this will be allowed on some but not all of the shooting stages.

ETA- yes, the magazine rule is still in effect.

Is this hopefully going to be an annual event. Me and a buddy would love to do it but were deployed right now so can't make it rihgt now. Maybe next year sure looks fun.

Regarding packs.... Is there any problem with us using an Eberlestock pack that'll carry our rifle until we need it?

There is no prohibition against the Eberlestock or other "rifle in the pack" rucks.

However, the safety rules including #3 ("good muzzle control") and #3.1 ("Do not ever allow the muzzle of your weapons to point at anyone.") always apply.* So when it's halfway tucked in your Eberlestock, you still have to keep a safe muzzle direction, and be cognizant of where it's pointing when you're putting it in or taking it out of the pack.

* The only exception of these rules is the standard one used for transit: when the firearms are unloaded and <span style="text-decoration: underline">fully</span> encased.