• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Zak, Ray, Cody, and the rest of the crew at Competition Dynamics - Thank you for putting on such a fun event. Of all the adventure races I've done, this was by far the best. The challenges were fun and the course was brutal. I can't wait for next year.

Also, much thanks to the generous sponsors - Desert Tactical Arms, Trijicon, AA Targets, ARC'TERYX LEAF, US Optics, and many others. What an amazing set of prizes for everyone...

Steve D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up, there is a scoring correction that I will post later tonight. (It does not affect the top 50%.) </div></div>
This was just posted. It changed positions 22 through 28 only. Team 23 should not have had that 1000 point administrative penalty!

Such an awesome event as this does not come around very often, if ever at all. We have a chance here to share thoughts, ideas and experiences on what did and what did NOT work for them. I'm asking the competitors and staff to volunteer/share what ever they think would help "COMPETITORS". Per Zak's post above, "Yes, please send suggestions and feedback to me via private email.", let's keep suggestions about the event itself sent directly to Zak and his staff.

I'll start; Things I did wrong, could have done better, etc. In no particular order. Just as they come to me.

1. I was the LR Precision shooter. I still brought 2x the amount of ammo "suggested" by Zak let along what was actually needed. = Weight

2. I started training in early February, rucking 3-9 miles per week/10 days.
-Rucking more often, faster, STEEPER would have helped me.

3. I trained and competed in the same Under Armour Speed Freak boots and Cabelas InGenius socks. Not a single hitch. Nothing changed for the event except not taking advice from my partner about lacing my boots with two sets of laces; one set for lower (instep) and one set for upper (ankle). I should have experimented with lacing my boots differently BEFORE the event and not DURING. = 6 nice blisters on just my little and big toes from going down hill.

4. I did train with Hammer Gel and Propetulum but did not tasted other flavors. When I started the event I opened a large bottle of Banana flavor (un-tasted) which I now despise and more than likely did not consume enough during the event = thus effecting my strength/endurance.

5. Same with electrolyte supplements. I carried two H20 bladders; 60 oz for electrolytes and 100 oz for straight water. Drank mostly straight water due to the unpleasant taste of the electrolyte laced water. = Pretty sure I hit heat exhaustion twice.

6. Even though I brought all the required 1st aid items I refrained from using such items as the Ibuprofan and Tylenol, fearing they might mask pain that would tell me something was wrong. I now think they might have made "movement" easier for my 54 yr old body if taken in moderation. I noticed this when one team (not mentioned but gratefully thanked!) shared a dose of Ibu's with me which helped proceed.

7. As much as I like my Eberlestock GSII pack and how my LR rifle is carried, it made it improbable to simply plop down to rest with that lower scabbard portion making it difficult if not impossible. No idea what to do next. Oh, wait, did I say next? As if though I'm coming back next year?

8. I love my Milt Sparks BN55, OWB holster. I open carry in Utah every day. It worked fine carrying my 1911 except when it was time to remove my pack. Several times, if not paying attention, my right side waist belt/buckle of my pack would hang up between the gun and my waist. Wasn't fun trying to unhook it as the pack is tetering, ready to pull me to the ground, if I lost control of the pack.

9. Love my little HPG chest pack to carry all the items I wanted to access quickly and often.

10. To keep weight down, used a SnipePod instead of a Harris bipod, etc. It was nice and light and works great for say, one shot (like in my training), but was not great for multiple shots as it would lose some of it's "tightness" and had to be readjusted before the next shot/s.

11. I wore UA compression briefs to include a full length bottom and t-shirt covered by some of Cabelas high tech long sleeve shirt (that was me in the bright blue) and pants. They worked great except the salesman talked me into a large and it chafed alot in my arm pits, where the pack straps ride. I opted to forgo carrying a light third layer such as a long sleeve polypro top. When I would stop to rest up on top = I froze.

11a. I should have pulled out my Sitka Gear beanie up on top, in the wind, to retain more heat.

12. Loved using walking/hiking poles! Really helped this "older" guy up and down the steep stuff. Noticed that when I held both poles in each hand, left to right, swinging my hands hard, left to right, my flat land pace really picked up!

13. Precut moleskin was new to me. Thanks Chris our of San Diego!

14. Take more pictures!!!

15. Hated the mouth piece on my Camelback bladder. Would leak unless I blew water back into the pack. Also hated the short H20 tube on my Eberlestock bladder. Would have to really pull to easily reach it which might have also contributed to my drinking less water with electrolytes.

16. Shemaugh was nice but kept getting in the way of dawning my pack.

17. Never used the tripod/spotter. = less weight.

18. Bring apre foot wear. You may have noticed the funkly black/white checkered slippers I bought at the dollar store in Tremonton. Very comfy! Wouldn't dare try to put my boots back on after.....

19. Glad I brought my "all up" 11 lb 6.5x47 instead of my 19 lb 6.5x47!

Hope this gets your thought processes flowing and you can share your thoughts in a constructive manner.

6.5x47....out!

Alan

Great Gear feedback report Alan!

Watching you guys was amazing. Everyone did a very good job and worked their butts off. I'm glad we were able to be the host facility for Competition Dynamics 24HR match. I hope you enjoyed Sniper Country as much as we do. I also hope to see everyone back for future events. Cody, Zack, Ray, and their RO's did a great job and I appreciate their ambition to put on such an epic event and especially appreciate that they chose our place to hold it.

It was also really cool that the 2nd place team was running a DTA SRS.
smile.gif

Thank you Zak, thank you CD team. Great "match", this is likely to be the most difficult civilian "shooting sport related" match EVER put together.

Kudo to the organizers, the match was fun, challenging, gut-checking, eye-opening, smooth running, surprise-filled, painstaking, and yet.....before the recovery of my muscles and nasty blisters..... I am already thinking and looking forward for the 24hrs Sniper Adventure Challenge 2013!!!

It was a lot of fun! Even with the hiccups, CD put on a safe and exciting match. I can only imagine how much planning, sweat and hard work went into giving us this experience. These matches really are second to none. Thanks!

BTW, great idea on the gear AAR, Alan. I would like to hear more from the seven winning teams about gear choices as well - specifically regarding footwear and 'underwear'. I saw teams in running shoes, and switching between two pairs of shoes, and it looked like the light adventure race packs with two slung ARs worked better than the heavier military packs.

Here's a summary of the challenges and shooting stages:

MCP1- "Teamwork". This was similar to the Teamwork stage at the 2011 Thunder Beast Team Challenge. The rifle shooter had 5 small (approx 2 moa) targets to hit at about 160 yards. But every time he had a miss, the carbine shooter had to <span style="text-decoration: underline">hit</span> each of 4 targets at about 90 yards. Time limit 2 minutes.

MCP2- Kettlebell ropes. Each team member had to randomly pick one of the roles presented (which had a kettlebell on the end) and haul it all the way up.

MCP4- Pistol assault, sponsored by Surefire. Most teams who shot this did so at night. The rifle shooter had to hit each of two small pistol targets (6-8") at about 35 yards. After that, the carbine shooter had to engage the remaining 14 targets. Shot for time.

MCP5- Rope Bridge. The team had to cross two "one rope bridges."

MCP7- Equipment check and signalling. First, the team had to present several items from the require gear list. Then, they had to signal to the RO at MCP8 (confirmed by RO/RO radio contact).

MCP8- This was a carbine/rifle stage with 18 targets. The carbine shooter had 8 targets going up the road, and then the rifle shooter had another 10 targets to engage that went out to 900 some odd yards.

MCP10- Low crawl and the "water bucket" logic puzzle.

MCP11- Cryptography. Teams were given one encoded message comprising 30 numbers and a book and told that they had to decide the message to produce ten codewords. They could ask if they had the correct "first word" as many times as they wanted (to check their decoding algorithm) but after that they had to produce a list of ten words.

We also moved the challenge from MCP6 to the same location as MCP11:

MCP6- Escape and evasion. Teams were separated from their gear, which was locked together using a steel cable. Then they were separated. One was handcuffed and the other had his hands bound with Gorilla Tape to a tree. Both were hooded. Teams had to free themselves and then had a chance to pick the lock to free their gear.

MCP12- Shoot "Colors". Teams randomly picked color cards and then had to engage one carbine and two rifle targets of the targets that matched the color names.

MCP13- Shooting stage. First, both team members had to hit two different large steel plates (roughly torso sized) at approximately 100 yards with their pistols, 3x each. Then the carbine shooter could choose to engage 8 targets. After that, the rifle shooter could engage his 10 targets. Finally, there was an opportunity to gain some bonus points using the Barrett MRAD / TBAC 338BA / USO / LAPUA .338LM on targets beyond 900 yards (furthest was about 1800).

MCP14- To get the final checkpoint punch, both team members and their packs had to climb up the side of a shipping container.

ETA- A note on the shooting difficulty: Having just wrapped up the 2012 Steel Safari and 2012 SnipersHide Cup a month before in June, these stages were less technical and a little easier than the SHC stages due to target visibility, size (in some cases), grouping, and essentially unlimited time to look for targets and do stage prep from right there near the shoot position.

Wow... Sounds like it was a great match.... No way could I have done this, but its something to work towards... Would be interesting to know what kind of physical prep the top teams did, and how far in advance they started prepping....

Liked the resuce vehicles, Ray, did they make it up the hill?

Will copies or downloads of the sponsor video be available?

Zak, are there going to be more pics posted, or is this it?

Yeah its made by Armor Works... Its a 3 seat BAD ASS Polaris. The thing rides so smooth.

Those dam Armor Works things made it up some crazy steep hills.
They sure did make getting teams that wanted out easier.
Overall I would say the match was awesome. It was the first time we ran anything like it. The next one will be better!

I took one just before the first uphill hike towards MCP-2. I felt great during the next couple of hours of movement. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't much of a taste to the product, it went down easy and I washed it down with some long pulls on the camelbak.

Specifically, that vehicle started out life as a Polaris 900 Razor. It was extensively modified by Amorworks. The engine was stock but the suspension was radically improved. It is a prototype. We used it for the medical team and it was spectacular. Got us in and out of very tough terrain at nice speed, and didnt rattle out teeth out. It is intended to have 5.56 and 7.62 rated armor, but our prototype had mock up armor only. " I dont always drive around in crazy terrain, but when I do, I want Amorworks vehicles"

Scary open gate on the petzl attache!

I would like to thank Zak, Cody, and Ray for putting on such a outstanding event. Secondly the sponsors, DTA, Barrett, Trijicon, Surefire, etc. Also the RO's and the many volunteers that made this run as smoothly as possible and keep everyone safe. Thanks fellas!

This was a first event of this type for me and my teammate Cody. Cody first approached me about doing this back in November I believe and for some reason I agreed. I look forward to doing this again next year.

The competition will obliviously get tighter as people figure out what they did wrong, what mistakes were made, make better gear choices, improve physical conditioning, and master their skills. Making for a more exciting race.

Andrew T., good job on that write up about your experience. I sure everyone else's was very similar. Much truth in that.

Chris W.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinsandpitons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scary open gate on the petzl attache!</div></div>

Damn, I should have caught that one before he took off.

A word about blisters. Saw some gnarly ones one Facebook. Before I went to selection I was turned onto a product called ENGO,http://www.goengo.com/, it's basically a sticker that creates a frictionless surface in an area where you normally get hot spots. For me that's the ball of my foot and my heels. These things stay on forever too and I have them on all of my insoles now. Also you have to drop some money on socks. I prefer a single pair of wigwam fusion socks. Yep, no liner. Just a single pair. The liners never worked for me. Also, vasaline applied directly to the skin on any area that rubs. I throw on a light coat around my toes and over my heels before sprinkling on some foot powder. Vasaline is also good around your waist line and shoulders where your ruck waist belt and straps rub. wear the right boots for the occasion. I saw a lot of goretex boots. It was 110 degrees and dry as hell! Goretex is hot. I prefer a leather lined boot when its hot with minimal padding. Or even a running shoe if I can get away with it. If the terrain is steep I definitely want a stiff sole for the climbs. I made it through selection without a single blister on my feet, but I didn't learn about the waist band trick until later when I saw a guy lubing himself up with a half jar of vasaline every night. Everyone was making fun of him, but he stayed entirely blister and ruck burn free for the whole course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oral IV is looking for any feedback if anyone used their product during the match. </div></div>

My teammate and I both drank two vials each before the climb back up to MCP2 for the 2nd time and we both could feel rejuvenated.

I was wearing $18 Walmart runners but I used Lanacain anti-chafing gel all over my feet and toes. I haven't got one blister. I used it anywhere else there could be rubbing. I just gave it a try on my training hikes and it worked like a charm. My partner did give me some funny looks though. I have some excellent pairs of expensive boots but through training I tried them all and the runners were the ticket. If it had been wet at all, they would have been terrible but we were as far from those conditions as I've ever been.
My problem was the heat and nutrition. I never found any food throughout my training that I liked to eat once I was tired.
What a great prize table, thank you to all who made this event happen.
It was a pleasure meeting you all. Joel and Daniel, thanks for the shooting tips. PJ and Wes, seeing you guys march to that dance music cracked me up! See you in 50 meters!
I couldn't pick a group of competitors that I'd have more respect for.
Adam

I do have someone's small pouch/pack type thing. Please send me ID of some stuff inside and a shipping address via email and I'll get it sent back to you

Those of you who used Kifaru packs, I would like to know which ones you used and which size worked best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of you who used Kifaru packs, I would like to know which ones you used and which size worked best for you. </div></div>

I saw some Kifaru Expresses.

I didn't shoot the match, but we have two Kifaru Expresses (thanks Medocino!), Love 'em!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think team #1 used a Kifaru Ultralight? </div></div>

Yes, and an X3 lodrag.
ETA: In hindsight, the low crawl would have probably been pretty hard on the ultralite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think team #1 used a Kifaru Ultralight? </div></div>In hindsight, the low crawl would have probably been pretty hard on the ultralite.</div></div>Thanks. After RO'ing some of the low crawl stage that's exactly what I wanted to know.
smile.gif

I had an X3 LoDrag, and although it was comfortable I found it to be quite heavy.

I used the Express and found it, to no suprise, be just right for 24hrs of go go go. The required gear list along with food, pushed the limits of my packing skills and what the pack could hold. However I augmented my load bearing with a chest rig for immediate access stuff.

Durability wise. I spent a decent amount of time using this pack as a chair and also used it as a cushion while sliding down the sides of some hills. It held up fine and showed no signs of undue wear. The hydration pouch on the inside proved useful when my bladder popped. While my stuff was water proofed, the hydration pouch did a good job of keeping the spill isolated.

The actual make up of the pack is very thought out. Where the tightening straps are located allows you to shift and hold loads where you want them to be. The top lid and pockets allows for a few trinkets to be kept and gotten too with ease. The outside map pouch was too small for at least the way I fold a map. Nor do I like to keep my map away from me. Instead I stored some extra socks back there.

Other Gear and AAR notes:
Food: Twizzlers, Beef Jerkey, Kill Cliff and Gu. All those things are easily digested and serve a purpose. I have relied on all them before for long events and they havent let me down yet. I commonly hit the wall at 5hrs. Takes me an hour of hating life and moving, then I find my rythem and can go from there with no issues.

Asolo Fugitive, Smart Wool and womens nylon panty hose. I used my old pair of Asolo's and some smart wool socks. In hindsight I would of gone with some lighter foot wear knowing I was going to be on trails most of the time. Panty hose. Call me a cross dresser or a women, I dont care. I had no foot issues or blisters.

Mayflower HK417 Chest rig. Plenty of information can be found on these guys. They make solid gear that serves a specific function. I didnt use it for all of its intended functions however it still worked out just fine. Streamlined, durable and light.

Larue PredatAR and Leupold CQBSS with H27D pattern. If I knew how to shoot things at long ranges this set up would of been heat. Light, Accurate and reliable. I underestimated some things and did not properly plan. As a result my long range game was not there. There is always next time.

Suunto Wrist Compass. These suckers are awesome. Always gives you your direction of travel within 10degrees. They can take a beating as well.

AAR Points:
-Use your compass and map. I got cocky with my land nav skills and made the rookiest of mistakes. I failed to check my map and compass enough and as a result, traveled down the wrong ridgeline for one of the MCP. Shit happens, just gotta learn from it.
-Overestimation of skills and failure to properly plan. Like I said earlier my long range game was not there. there are numerous things that went into this. However Knowing what I know now, I would spend alot more time gather dope on my gun and would also order the ammo, shoot it, then ship it to the competition rahter than shipping it straight to the competition without ever shooting some rounds from that batch.

PJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the McCray brothers post race interview.
[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/jFmqXzxM5LA[/video] </div></div>

I love these. Keep 'em coming. BTW, I'm in for next year without a doubt! Thanks guys.