• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 GAP GRIND/BUSHNELL PRO/AM hosted by K&M PRT (29-31 August)

Check your emails if you can not read the photo. Expect some changes, I just had to correct one pairing that was signed up as a team, but I placed him as single shooter.

Shannon

I signed up as soon as entry opened and I just got the team contact email. Not sure what I have myself into but I sure am excited. Lots of shooting and training between now and the end of August. Time to head to T.V.P. for some long shots.

I signed up as soon as entry opened and I just got the team contact email. Not sure what I have myself into but I sure am excited. Lots of shooting and training between now and the end of August. Time to head to T.V.P. for some long shots.

The "Tune up" time the day before the match is going to be super helpful for me. Don't really have a good place to just go out and practice, so my data gathering is limited to shooting small "semi-local" matches. I'll have only two small matches under my belt with my current rifle/ammo combination come the end of August. REALLY hoping I can get some work in on tune up day!

Check your emails if you can not read the photo. Expect some changes, I just had to correct one pairing that was signed up as a team, but I placed him as single shooter.

Shannon

Thanks to everyone who has worked to put this match together and all the experienced and pro shooters that stepped up to help out us new shooters. Looking forward to some fun and I'm sure a lot of enlightening moments from the match weekend.

I'm not looking forward to all the loading I gotta do... My press is in the garage permanently and it's about 90° with 90% humidity. I gotta take a Camelbak and a towel just to walk out there.
But I'm definitely looking forward to burning it up!!!

2014 GAP GRIND/BUSHNELL PRO/AM hosted by K&M PRT (29-31 August)

Were pretty close to having everyone paired up. Once that happens we will post up the pairings. It's going to be a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger, please let me know, I would be interested. Please don't take offense to the Texas part, I meant that for driving. Couple things to consider though, I sleep naked & I have a serious gas problems

Ranger, please let me know, I would be interested. Please don't take offense to the Texas part, I meant that for driving. Couple things to consider though, I sleep naked & I have a serious gas problems

Sounds like my long lost twin has been found.... LOL

Are there still pro spots available? I "may" be able to make it but I'll have to wait a few weeks to figure that out. If it's full then no worries. I have a full plate due to moving next week and pts this weekend and work but maybe I can squeeze some time in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I sure hope so. It would be nice to contact the person I am to be paired with to see what his experience is or what he needs or has.

Any ideas on if the match is going to be like the ones in years past or is it going to be toned down for us rookies? I hope it's as tough as it's ever been. I'm kinda looking forward to getting out there & having my ass handed to me & experiencing the real deal!

Any ideas on if the match is going to be like the ones in years past or is it going to be toned down for us rookies? I hope it's as tough as it's ever been. I'm kinda looking forward to getting out there & having my ass handed to me & experiencing the real deal!

Its funny you ask, because I've been pondering the same question. I'm not so excited about having my ass handed to me, but a course that is "lightly challenging" would be nice.. I'm too crippled already to be having my ass handed to me.

No better way to practice than to shoot matches, even if they are the hardest match ever made up. After that the other matches will seem like a cake walk. :) it's going to be hot down there so don't wait until the day to hydrate. I started a week befor the last match down there and it helped a ton!

What do most folks wear for the match? Typically i think of florida and shorts come to mind. Im borderline considering taclite pants and long sleeve shirts, but Im not sure tbh.

What do most folks wear for the match? Typically i think of florida and shorts come to mind. Im borderline considering taclite pants and long sleeve shirts, but Im not sure tbh.

I'd wear pants at least and consider bringing knee pads. Real easy to tear up your legs/knees when having to do positional stuff.

*Cough* We need a variant of the Grind it out Stage George.

I'd wear pants at least and consider bringing knee pads. Real easy to tear up your legs/knees when having to do positional stuff.

*Cough* We need a variant of the Grind it out Stage George.
Speaking of knee pads, is there a general agreement as to the favorite pair of knee pads ?

Any knee pads will work. I would definitely wear pants and a long sleeve shirt and a hat. Bring sunscreen and maybe bug juice if the mosquitos are bad. Boots or trail shoes, something with good traction souls. Other gear I bring to a match besides rifle and ammo is a sling, bipod, pack, rear bag, dope book, a couple of pens and markers, masking tape so you don't have to write on your arm or hand, shemagh or towel for your sweaty face and a cover for the rifle if it rains.

Buy a quarter back arm band, it has slots that you can put index cards. I make an index card for every stage and leave the dope off until right before I shoot it but it's laid out in order with room to write in descriptions on where the targets are actually at and then the dope next to the yardage which I pull from a kestrel which should have a DA value very very close to what they stage will be shot in.

I use Hatch kneepads. Definitely long pants, hiking boots or similar (I use 5.10 Exum Guide hiking boots, Asolo boots, and Oakley assault boots, depending on what I feel like wearing), a lightweight long sleeve, UV blocking shirt (think offshore fishing gear), and a good hat. I prefer boonie style hats, since they cover my ears and the back of my neck.

Bugs can be a bit bad at K&M at times, depending on how much rain we have had recently. Definitely bring sunscreen. Hydrate starting several days ahead of time. Concentrate on drinking water, keep the sports drinks to a minimum.

Pffffffft..... Im sure one of us qualifies as a non pro... lol

Im all seriousness. We will both be there with a new shooter.

Ever since George brought this up I have thought it was a great idea. Perfect for creating a great match and building the shooting community.

Hey Ryan,
Not sure if full up and if everyone is partnered up yet but it would be wonderful to shot with a real pro and learn from one of the best. Can you ask Scott if he has a partner yet for me? And we can both hobble around. Just joking. Can't get off work.

OK, this may well fall into the dumb questions arena, but here goes.

What do most of you do with your gear at the hotel after each day at the range? I mean, it seems like a no-brainer that you wouldn't want to store it in your vehicle, but then keeping it in the hotel room has it's own issues unless you never leave for dinner or breakfast. Plus, I've never really carried a bunch of shooting gear into a hotel before and don't know how they would view it.

You guys that travel a lot for matches must have this down. A little advice?

You just walk in with it, it feels a little weird the first time but you get used to it. Usually no one bats an eye. You can bet any hotel around a facility like K&M has seen it 100 times. Don't sweat it.

As far as during the day, you'll have the most expensive part of your kit with you. If you feel better then leave your stuff in the car but I've never had an issue leaving it in the hotel room.

If you guys have any questions just ask, you can also come up and introduce yourselves at the match if you want. I look like this (in the foreground in the grey shirt):

I also posted this to show you what I wear. I've almost exclusively start shooting matches in the Nike DriFit long sleeve shirts. They give you sun coverage, and aren't hot at all.
inp60QauK6cro.jpg

Last edited:
OK, thanks for easing my mind a bit. I'm sure you know how it is when trying to get prepared for your first real match. I'm probably over-thinking the wrong things and under-thinking the important things.

OK, thanks for easing my mind a bit. I'm sure you know how it is when trying to get prepared for your first real match. I'm probably over-thinking the wrong things and under-thinking the important things.

You'll forget about all this when you setup for that first shot on Day 1.

Would it be helpful for me or someone to post a match "pack list"?

Probably, but different people have different needs.

For instance I keep it pretty simple I think
My typical loadout:
5.11 Rush 24 Pack
2 liter water bladder
Ear Pro + Spare batteries
Columbia light weight rain suit
Shemagh or two
Small 5.11 Flashlight + spare batteries(probably not needed)
Small roll electrical tape (emergency repairs)
Rifle mags (2-10rd 2-5rd) and pouches
Red tac bean bag
Red tac 1/2 pint
Dope wristband + blank cards
Ammo for the day
2-3 cans of Kodiak Wintergreen

Occasionally ill throw in an extra shirt or two to add bulk to pack.

Usually keep any tools/cleaning gear in a range bag in my trunk

Last edited:
Well I realize everyone is going to have different stuff but at least this you can look at and see if you didn't miss anything. I might change or add to it depending on area/season but typically it looks like:

Packing List

Rifle
Mags 3 x AW mags
Eberlestock or backpack
Range Book
Arm band
Blank Dope Carts for fill in
Mag Holsters
Sling
Ammo
Rear Bag x 2
Pillow
Bolt lube
Pistol (if relevant)
Pistol Holster (if relevant)
Pistol Mags (if relevant)
Pistol Mags Holster (if relevant)
Cleaning stuff
Bladder
Ear pro

Shooting Accessories
Range Finder
Kestrel
Phone x 2
Batteries (Phone, AAA, 123 x)
Glasses
Gloves
Tripod
Saddle

Clothing
Pants
Boots
Socks
Nike shirts
Undershirts
UA boxers
Shorts
Sandals
Swimsuit
Thermal shirt (if cold weather)
Thermal pants (if cold weather)
Beanie (if cold weather)
Hat

Other
Sunscreen
Cigars (lighter, cutter, case)
DA Cards
External USB battery
Bug spray
Flashlight
Ear Phones
Chapstick
Jet Boil
Starbucks VIA
Food

Lol, no doubt about that.

I appreciate your offer and it probably cannot hurt, but there have been threads about match day gear before that I've read and I've shot a couple local very small matches. So I'm getting there on what gear to take and what to leave home with the kitchen sink. Plus, Shannon posted a few help hints somewhere in this thread if I recall.

However, I'll never turn down an offer for advice as I've found that is the best way to learn.

Thanks.

Just get an elberstock pack and you will end up filling it full of shit that you probably won't touch for a year. It will end up. Weighing 75 lbs with the gun in it and then you can't find shit when needed, even when everything is in its own pouch or container :)

Just get an elberstock pack and you will end up filling it full of shit that you probably won't touch for a year. It will end up. Weighing 75 lbs with the gun in it and then you can't find shit when needed, even when everything is in its own pouch or container :)

Oddly enough, I just did that... GS2 with 3 rifles and gear weighed 78lbs and exactly right... Didn't touch half the gear and had a hard time remembering finding the stuff packed away. :eek:

Its a much lighter pack now and got rid of the "junk". Kinda feels like a waste of space though; all that room and nothing to put in it!