• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up 2018 Wisconsin Events and Shooting thread

Folks

Maybe some of this will help in folks getting more consistent impacts down range.

Always depend on Quality ammo with low ES numbers.

A good Balistics program that is not free - so many people go cheap on the most important part of the program after spendings $$$ on their rifle, Then throwing valuable wasted time and ammo out the door let alone the frustrations over entry level programs - I have no problem saving and spending $300.00 if the program utilizes my test loads, time and comp ammo to the fullest. You can get into some good programs for as little as $50.00 +/-

Good info out of the programs demands good inputs entered - double check for typo's

You need to take the time to get your scope correctly calibrated and then enter in the calibration information into your programs. I don't care if its a Nightforce, Vortex, Smitty or any others they all need to be calibrated correctly.

Next get an average of 10 rounds fired for speed and enter that speed as well as the Density Altitude or temp while testing.

Confirm your 100 yard zero

Now using the trusted quality ammo shoot at multiple distances 400 - 500 -600 -700 -800 yards using what you can for "true confirmed distances" while using your program - Pay Attention to the Density Altitude while testing

Now if your program is giving you elevation corrections and some of your impacts are starting to hit low or high as you are getting farther out and you double checked all the inputs into the program as stated so everything coming out should be correct as possible - you will ever so slightly increase your G1 or G7 BC number you entered - if your impacts are hitting high. Or you will lower the BC number if your impacts are hitting lower as you shoot farther away. Do not mess with the speed this is only a bandaid. The reason for adjusting the rated BC of a given bullet is that your rifle may be shooting slower or faster then what speed they rated the BC at as well as keep in mind as the bullet's speed is slowing up down range the BC is lowering as well. Also every barrel will affect the BC of a bullet different - the distortion applied to the bullet as it is being forced through the groves in the barrel affects the BC rating as well. So after adjusting the BC a little your elevation corrections should line up and result in perfect impacts. I always paint a horizontal line on my targets down range so that I can aim and focus only on the red line and see my results for vertical corrections.

Also when at events or testing pay attention and use the Density Altitude feature it's very important when trying to stay consistent from day to day as well as the changes within the day as the temps change.

The rest is between the ears - but don't make the mistake that many fall into at major events - some folks all of a sudden need to live healthy the day before or during the competition, yet back home while in the back yard or at the local range you eat and drink whatever your favorites are and you shoot very well, then off to the big shoot and its all about eating and drinking the healthy crap you don't care for or you back off big time on the sweets, junk food and caffeine. So more then likely you shoot poorly and are down on yourself- more then likely you threw your system into a slight shock going cold turkey in order to be healthy for shooting - not good, you shot like crap in your own mind and cheated yourself on the things you liked. Eat and drink what do back home - just don't get carried away and life will be good while shooting. Seriously I've seen this a lot and been there myself years ago.

I hesitated writing this because I did not want to come across as a know it all but decided that this is what a lot of us depend on when pushing things to their limits and hopefully it will benefit others.

Any questions please ask

Cheers
Oneshot.onehit

Reactions: Mr. Z and Jec375
Folks

Maybe some of this will help in folks getting more consistent impacts down range.

Always depend on Quality ammo with low ES numbers.

A good Balistics program that is not free - so many people go cheap on the most important part of the program after spendings $$$ on their rifle, Then throwing valuable wasted time and ammo out the door let alone the frustrations over entry level programs - I have no problem saving and spending $300.00 if the program utilizes my test loads, time and comp ammo to the fullest. You can get into some good programs for as little as $50.00 +/-

Good info out of the programs demands good inputs entered - double check for typo's

You need to take the time to get your scope correctly calibrated and then enter in the calibration information into your programs. I don't care if its a Nightforce, Vortex, Smitty or any others they all need to be calibrated correctly.

Next get an average of 10 rounds fired for speed and enter that speed as well as the Density Altitude or temp while testing.

Confirm your 100 yard zero

Now using the trusted quality ammo shoot at multiple distances 400 - 500 -600 -700 -800 yards using what you can for "true confirmed distances" while using your program - Pay Attention to the Density Altitude while testing

Now if your program is giving you elevation corrections and some of your impacts are starting to hit low or high as you are getting farther out and you double checked all the inputs into the program as stated so everything coming out should be correct as possible - you will ever so slightly increase your G1 or G7 BC number you entered - if your impacts are hitting high. Or you will lower the BC number if your impacts are hitting lower as you shoot farther away. Do not mess with the speed this is only a bandaid. The reason for adjusting the rated BC of a given bullet is that your rifle may be shooting slower or faster then what speed they rated the BC at as well as keep in mind as the bullet's speed is slowing up down range the BC is lowering as well. Also every barrel will affect the BC of a bullet different - the distortion applied to the bullet as it is being forced through the groves in the barrel affects the BC rating as well. So after adjusting the BC a little your elevation corrections should line up and result in perfect impacts. I always paint a horizontal line on my targets down range so that I can aim and focus only on the red line and see my results for vertical corrections.

Also when at events or testing pay attention and use the Density Altitude feature it's very important when trying to stay consistent from day to day as well as the changes within the day as the temps change.

The rest is between the ears - but don't make the mistake that many fall into at major events - some folks all of a sudden need to live healthy the day before or during the competition, yet back home while in the back yard or at the local range you eat and drink whatever your favorites are and you shoot very well, then off to the big shoot and its all about eating and drinking the healthy crap you don't care for or you back off big time on the sweets, junk food and caffeine. So more then likely you shoot poorly and are down on yourself- more then likely you threw your system into a slight shock going cold turkey in order to be healthy for shooting - not good, you shot like crap in your own mind and cheated yourself on the things you liked. Eat and drink what do back home - just don't get carried away and life will be good while shooting. Seriously I've seen this a lot and been there myself years ago.

I hesitated writing this because I did not want to come across as a know it all but decided that this is what a lot of us depend on when pushing things to their limits and hopefully it will benefit others.

Any questions please ask

Cheers
Oneshot.onehit

Thanks for the info. I have a pretty standard match prep routine.

The week before (day before at national PRS matches) preferably on a day that the weather closely mimics the forecasted weather of the match.

1) Get a good quality 100yd zero and ensure the scope is leveled.
2) Get one or preferably two 10 round strings over the magneto speed
3) Confirm DOPE out to 567 (that’s all Shiocton has)
4) Fire 20-40 practice rounds from various positions at 300yd and 567yd steel.

I always eat healthy and do a good mixture of weights and cardio. I am lugging around an AIAX after all.

It’s worked for me pretty well thus far. Others routines may vary.

Looks like I'm out for that shoot. Dr says moving and shooting with a 16lb rifle is not a good idea that soon after surgery

Well there wasn't much difference between the CCIs and FGM 210s in my 6XC. Both are in the 8-10fps SD and both hover around 3000fps.

Matches this season will be held at the Highlands firearms training Academy in Cascade Wisconsin!
It will once again be a point series with a finale. You will need to shoot 3 matches to make the finale unless you take first place.

This will be an amazing opportunity to come and try PRS style matches! These matches will be geared towards the new shooter and slowly progress to faster times near the end of the season!

Stages will range from 200 to 1000 yards! And will be more of a field style match with engaging multiple targets at different yardages! We will still have barricades rooftop tires and all the props you would see at a PRS style match But we will also throw in a good amount of prone shooting! For the longer targets I will be purchasing magneto speed hit indicators to make scoring more easy and fair!

Matches will be $45 and payable via PayPal gift!
I will put out match invites at that time you can pay for that match. There will be no match refunds unless the match is canceled due to weather.

We will be reaching out to previous match sponsors and really do appreciate your continuous support.

Here are the dates
April 28th
Jun 2
July 7th
Aug4
Sept 15
Oct 20 finale

Reactions: Hoyt7mm
Slow but steady. Almost all the pain that was going down my leg is gone. Where they cut me open is where the pain is now. Taking it easy, can't sit too long and can't walk too long. Dr said he wouldn't advise any recoil from shooting until way least my surgical follow up on the 15th.

How did everyone shoot today up there? I really wanted to bring up the new bipods and get those bullets from ed.

Not sure how the shoot ended up I had to attend a fund raiser this afternoon. Next week will seem like x-mas in my house when I'm able to get home, some cool stuff showing up to work with.

IMG_3630.JPG

Good afternoon from the Watertown area. Just moved back to WI and I’m looking to get my foot in the door shooting some local matches. I don’t know what the rules are for these matches, but if it’s possible would anyone be willing to take a new guy under their wing for a match or two so I can see what it’s all about and learn a few things? No shooting just tagging along to watch and learn. I’ve only shot at a range twice so I’m hesitant to just show up to shoot without knowing all the rules and workings beforehand. If not no worries. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time. Justin

Check out the Wisconsin Precision Rifle Steel Classic Facebook page. It gets a bit more traffic than this thread. Im about an hour and a half north of you. There’s going to be monthly matches starting in April near Sheboygan, the announcements will be on that Facebook page.

Check out the Wisconsin Precision Rifle Steel Classic Facebook page. It gets a bit more traffic than this thread. Im about an hour and a half north of you. There’s going to be monthly matches starting in April near Sheboygan, the announcements will be on that Facebook page.
Thank you I will check them out.

Roterjager - 375
We should be able to push the 361s at 3500 fps without stressing the primer pockets and 400s at 3350 fps as well and being kind to the brass as well. I will know where we are in a week or so with actual speeds but the estimates are fair and forgiving.

JD04 for practice and improving check out the club not to far from you - Columbus Sportsman's Association - between Watertown and Columbus. Look them up on the internet.

Cheers
Oneshot

Last edited:
Roterjager - 375
We should be able to push the 361s at 3500 fps without stressing the primer pockets and 400s at 3350 fps as well and being kind to the brass as well. I will know where we are in a week or so with actual speeds but the estimates are fair and forgiving.

JD04 for practice and improving check out the club not to far from you - Columbus Sportsman's Association - between Watertown and Columbus. Look them up on the internet.

Cheers
Oneshot

View attachment 6882771

If I had a place to stretch a 375 out, I’d love to build one at some point. Maybe some day.

Roterjager - 375

Cheers
Oneshot

View attachment 6882771
Thank you I will do that

One shot: you gonna slap a new march genesis on that sucker? They’re claiming optically centered zero at 4K in .338.

Even though the concept is a desire in the ELR world I watched a demo on the operation of the scope - the whole physical scope pivots in the center of the mass located by the turrets- similar to the motion of a tetter-totter at a park or school. I am not a fan of any spring loaded movable mounts - I got to watch a Ivey mount take a crap on a good shooter at last years KO2M. Ed and I used a fixed 80 MOA rail teamed up with the Vortex Gen II Razors - MRAD in which allowed us to aim at and hit a dot at 100 yards if asked and then dial and hold to aim dead on at targets at 3500 yards and with the only moving part the scope turret.

The new rifle I have shoots flatter then last years 375 by 500 fps and is equipped as shown with a 20 moa rail attached to a mount that goes from 0-30-60-90 and 120 additional moa's and cross pin locked to eliminate any movement. I will be using a Vortex Gen II Razor - MRAD again because of being capable of handling heavy recoil and the excellent accuracy.

It's good to see the industry pushing the ability to hit and with some repetition on targets at extended distances in time as the bugs get worked out and proven things will be pushed farther yet. At the end of the day you still need a bullet with a balance of high BC and speed to get you to your target while still supersonic or with the capabilities of going transonic and holding a fair degree of stability yet.

Cheers
Oneshot

Last edited:
I'm signed up for the match on the 28th might be the only match type shooting I get this spring. Back should be damn close to 100% by then.

Jamie has decided to throw a hit the road party at our place afterwards and it's an open invitation. Campfire, drinks and general good time, might even fire up the BBQ if enough people are going to make it.

I'm working and unfortunately it's for someone else so no chance at trading out of it. Going to be at the Border Wars and June Highlands match with the South Dakota Steel Classic wedged between.

Was really hoping to see more of the WI crew at the RCLR Sniper Challenge, a good time was had by all.

Brian Holmes put on a match down at Racine that was a cross between PRS and a field course. Really good mix of stages. Most stages were shot during the day and 3 were shot at night. No prizes, no pay outs, no trophies just the thought of a job well done. It was a good time. I think he's going to hold another sometime in late October.

My favorite stages were Cold Bore shot, No Dial Stage on 3 targets at different distances, Hostage Taker at Night (shooter had to "mil" the target first then engage, In the Hide at night (got to use my tripod)

Message me on FB or shoot me an email and I can send you the COF.

Sessler got it to me. Those were some pretty good sized targets. 12x18 cold bore at 600. Unless the wind is howling I wouldn't think that would be too tough. I might give it a shot. Got 6" at 600 though

I'm from Wisconsin, and really interested in shooting in a more tactical style match. I have a precision rifle, and have shot F-class with it. Was thinking about one of the Wisconsin Precision Rifle Steel Classic matches. Only problem is, my rifle does not yet have a DBM, its a hinged floorplate. How bad would I be screwed? Could I make it work well enough for a first time experience, or would I be wasting peoples time?

I plan to send the stock off to CDI eventually, but just invested in my first can, so fun money is gone for awhile.

Honestly, you could shoot it but I wouldnt expect to get all the shots off. I think you might be better served waiting until you get a DBM or can borrow a friends rifle. You can always come and check out how the matches run.

If you can get 10 rounds off in 90 seconds from odd positions then go for it! If not, like mercy said, you probably won't get all the shots off. It can be done just not easily.
Wouldn't hurt to try though!

Ok, I was afraid of that. Maybe if I don't get gored by Uncle Sam at the accountant's office next week. Unfortunately no friends in the precision rifle universe yet. With my buddies, hinged floorplates would be the least of the limitations.

This year's match is May 6. The entry form can be downloaded off of the club website. Search Wood County rifle and pistol club and you'll find it.

Theres several guys who are close to Rapids. I'm not super close I'm over by Appleton but I make my way over there kinda often.

Sessler got it to me. Those were some pretty good sized targets. 12x18 cold bore at 600. Unless the wind is howling I wouldn't think that would be too tough. I might give it a shot. Got 6" at 600 though

There weren’t many small targets. I think Russian Dolls had the smallest. The match was very much geared to newer shooters.

This year's match is May 6. The entry form can be downloaded off of the club website. Search Wood County rifle and pistol club and you'll find it.

Where you at in the state? Another friend and I will be at the Rapids range this Wednesday to bang some steel and get some dope figured out again.

@northern50 he's in Rapids.

Side bar. I will have my 7mmWby back in a few weeks and will eventually need a scope for it. It's life will be 90% hunting. Talking with Geno has me thinking about a Swarovski hunting scope for it, since the few times I need to dial for long distance steel will be few. Any thoughts? Does anyone have some Swaro glass I could look through?

Not quite in Rapids, actually from Antigo. Would love to join you guys for that, but my tax appointment is on Wednesday. Jeez, thats gotta be the worst reason not to shoot ever. It hurt to type that.

Hope the tax man saved you some vasilene..

Jason and I went to the range today, perfect weather. I'm a huge fan of my new tripod and gear head, I can see 6.5 holes on paper at 620yds clear as day and spotting really is a treat with the Swaro. Finally burned all the random loads through my 260, now I can get back to loading.

Only one other guy besides us showed up today, he too ran a supressor. Sure is nice when everyone that shows up has a can, makes for a peacufull range day.

Garrett