• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2023 NightForce ELR Challenge

I remember seeing the articles when Ortiz won a few years ago he ran 300 norma berger 220 30 inch barrel at 2980.

When litz won 300 norma berger 245 2875 I can't remember 28 or 30 inch barrel.

So maybe those are the correct speeds
Aren’t they shooting 26 inch MRAD’s?

Here one there more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_090707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_090707_Chrome.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Raufoss
I remember seeing the articles when Ortiz won a few years ago he ran 300 norma berger 220 30 inch barrel at 2980.

When litz won 300 norma berger 245 2875 I can't remember 28 or 30 inch barrel.

So maybe those are the correct speeds

Not if you go peruse the hide 300nm reloading thread... 3100fps no pressure signs with 120 gr of h1000 boss

Not if you go peruse the hide 300nm reloading thread... 3100fps no pressure signs with 120 gr of h1000 boss
Haha that's what I mean maybe those guys speeds are more inline with what it's suppose to be not the thread. I've seen some impressive numbers but can't even seem to match

Reactions: kthomas
Pushing a 245 at ~3080 fps with 78 grains of powder would be something.

I'm pushing the 220's at a bit over 3000 fps with 85 grains of N570.
I'm waiting for my rifle to come back had some issues but my plan is to run the 220s at 3077 in 30 inch barrel n565 but mine is the improved 35

I'm waiting for my rifle to come back had some issues but my plan is to run the 220s at 3077 in 30 inch barrel n565 but mine is the improved 35

I'm thinking of backing mine off to 2900-2950 fps. Going to test some lower powder charges this upcoming week.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I'm thinking of backing mine off to 2900-2950 fps. Going to test some lower powder charges this upcoming week.
I ran the 220s at 2900 last year in a 30 nosler worked very well.

I have another load that runs 3150 but my fear is going to match and have pressure issues. I like medium to low nodes myself

How many of you bring back up triggers and parts? Or just a backup rifle? Or anything

How many of you bring back up triggers and parts? Or just a backup rifle? Or anything
I never did but a back yop trigger and firing pin probably is a good idea. Never considered a back up rifle for anything but a hunting trip but now you just gave me an excuse for another rifle (not that i need one.

2 years ago I saw 3 go down, mine was one. Extractor issues were huge. Saw a bolt handle break off a Bat! Thankfully a guy in a squad behind us had spare parts. Missed a couple of stages, but saved me. Trigger, extractor, bipod, rod long enough to get a stuck case out are in my bag now. I'm also bringing a back up rifle. It's a little over 3 hour drive for me. If I was coming across country, I'd plan for worst case scenario.

2 years ago I saw 3 go down, mine was one. Extractor issues were huge. Saw a bolt handle break off a Bat! Thankfully a guy in a squad behind us had spare parts. Missed a couple of stages, but saved me. Trigger, extractor, bipod, rod long enough to get a stuck case out are in my bag now. I'm also bringing a back up rifle. It's a little over 3 hour drive for me. If I was coming across country, I'd plan for worst case scenario.
I agree with you it would be great if others reading this mentioned their troubles you / we could build a list of the best arts to include but nothing beats a spare rifle that shoots as well

I know 5 300 Norma's and they all shoot 85gr of N570 behind 245. 3 of the rifles were tuned by one guy so I see he settled on one charge but the other 2 guys ended up on that load independently. The rifles are all nearly identical.

I know 5 300 Norma's and they all shoot 85gr of N570 behind 245. 3 of the rifles were tuned by one guy so I see he settled on one charge but the other 2 guys ended up on that load independently. The rifles are all nearly identical.

The 85.0 grains of N570 behind a 220 seems to be a really solid load, from my limited time with it. Don't have any experience with the 245's (yet).

Loaded 100rnds for a customer over the weekend. 85.0 N570 with 245 elite hunter. 10 shots 2877 avg and 4.8sd. .75moa with customer shooting it with not the best fundamentals. Loaded them mag length and bolt falls free with gravity. Not sure how far off lands.

Have some 245 LRHT that we haven't tried yet. But expect them to be similar.

Loaded 100rnds for a customer over the weekend. 85.0 N570 with 245 elite hunter. 10 shots 2877 avg and 4.8sd. .75moa with customer shooting it with not the best fundamentals. Loaded them mag length and bolt falls free with gravity. Not sure how far off lands.

Have some 245 LRHT that we haven't tried yet. But expect them to be similar.
I am shooting 338 Lapua I started loading 100 rounds -haven't- gotten far yet COL is 3.281 I am seating them -.006 from that is that too close or can I go right to 3.281

Thabks

I am shooting 338 Lapua I started loading 100 rounds -haven't- gotten far yet COL is 3.281 I am seating them -.006 from that is that too close or can I go right to 3.281

Thabks

IMO, the only "too close" is if you're in danger of possibly sticking a bullet. And that's usually in the area of +0.025 into lands or so.

IMO, the only "too close" is if you're in danger of possibly sticking a bullet. And that's usually in the area of +0.025 into lands or so.
Thank You I will make an entry in my notes. From your response I assume I am .031 or so clearance. That is a good margin. I think the less free travel on the bullet the less throat erosion you get?

One other thing since my concern is avoiding throat erosion (as much as getting accuracy) I started using flat based bullets for practice since they will seal of some of the gas a little better on initial movement of the bullet.

@cuirc IMO that's not going to help with throat errosion, I would just forget about it, barrels are consumables, shoot it until it's toast and screw a new one on

Don’t take this wrong, but worrying about throat erosion on a caliber that you would be lucky to get 1k rounds per barrel is kind of a waste of energy.

Shoot the barrel for 800 rounds then pull it and start over. It really sucks shooting a match and losing 75-100 fps mid match.

Don’t take this wrong, but worrying about throat erosion on a caliber that you would be lucky to get 1k rounds per barrel is kind of a waste of energy.

Shoot the barrel for 800 rounds then pull it and start over. It really sucks shooting a match and losing 75-100 fps mid match.
You make good points thank you I guess the only gun I have with attachment to the barrel is my M 24 which has the original barrel NATO markings etc do I guess I should have the barrel changed and that one put away for posterity
Thanks

I've been running a 338Imp for a couple of years now. Contrary to popular belief, the throat hasn't moved much at all. I've got unfired barrel ready to go but the current one keeps shooting as well as it did 100 rounds in. VERY little firecracking. Shoot it slow and it'll go.
300 grain OTMs @ 3120

Reactions: cuirc
I've been running a 338Imp for a couple of years now. Contrary to popular belief, the throat hasn't moved much at all. I've got unfired barrel ready to go but the current one keeps shooting as well as it did 100 rounds in. VERY little firecracking. Shoot it slow and it'll go.
300 grain OTMs @ 3120
Great good to know

Just tested some berger 245 lrht. Those things shoot lights out just like the 220s. The recoil is noticeable with supressor might be switching to brake for those. 5 shots sd 4 es 7 avg 2863 slow but a great combo with the n565. Started low working my way up. I loaded them roughly 30 off. This is a different barrel than what I've been shooting the 220s. I might sell all my 220s and go to the 245s strictly.

I remembered that the M-24 barrel was suppose to give substantial life so I looked up the source of that; it was Wikipedia which stated:
The actual rifle requirements for accuracy were .35 MOA from a machine rest and according to Major John Mende (ret.), this accuracy had to be maintained to 10,000 rounds. He stated, "Interesting side note was there was a 10,000 round requirement for the barrel to maintain the original accuracy. In fact after some 10,000 round tests we discovered the accuracy improved. A few barrels were tested past 20,000 and accuracy never went below the original accuracy requirement."
Now if this be true and I have no reason to doubt, should we not expect better life out of other barrels as the above. Now I understand pushing a barrel to its limits in ELR but is that really a lot more than what we expect from an m-24? Some new barrels are now being made of 400 series stainless steel which is hard material and should give good ware. Which begs the question how can you get good ware out of Carbon Fiber; I am not familiar with this material except that they use it in airplane bodies and wings? I have and still are nervous flying in a plastic plane.

I remembered that the M-24 barrel was suppose to give substantial life so I looked up the source of that; it was Wikipedia which stated:
The actual rifle requirements for accuracy were .35 MOA from a machine rest and according to Major John Mende (ret.), this accuracy had to be maintained to 10,000 rounds. He stated, "Interesting side note was there was a 10,000 round requirement for the barrel to maintain the original accuracy. In fact after some 10,000 round tests we discovered the accuracy improved. A few barrels were tested past 20,000 and accuracy never went below the original accuracy requirement."
Now if this be true and I have no reason to doubt, should we not expect better life out of other barrels as the above. Now I understand pushing a barrel to its limits in ELR but is that really a lot mor

MDT Comp Brake​

e than what we expect from an m-24? Some new barrels are now being made of 400 series stainless steel which is hard material and should give good ware. Which begs the question how can you get good ware out of Carbon Fiber; I am not familiar with this material except that they use it in airplane bodies and wings? I have and still are nervous flying in a plastic plane.
Regarding your post on berger 245 I have only been on the forum for several months and am not familiar with all the special terms and language. What caliber are you shooting and what does 30 off mean.
By the if you are thinking of a muzzle brake I can recommend the MDT Comp Brake. I put it on my Savage Elite 338L and it was actually comfortable to shoot.

Going to test tomorrow morning at distance to make sure load holds up and true my kestrel up. The load has settle on berger 245 2877 avg sd 5.9. Shooting suppressed if I don't like the recoil or miss my spotting myself I'm going to switch to my brake but want to give supressor a chance.

Anyone interested in making an SH squad for this match?

Reach out here or PM me. Would be great to meet fellow SH'ers, and I'm going into this match solo.

Reactions: Raufoss
Sorry I looked back about 10 replies and entries and could not find the match it self. Do you have that information.
Thanks

OK: Sorry I missed it, But I would like to know what I missed for next year. So If you have time would you tell me the name, location of this Shoot and this years dates. Also if someone drops out there may be an opportunity to buy that spot
Thank You
Facebook, or Practiscore

OK: Sorry I missed it, But I would like to know what I missed for next year. So If you have time would you tell me the name, location of this Shoot and this years dates. Also if someone drops out there may be an opportunity to buy that spot
Thank You
If your serious, get ready for it now.
There WILL be spots available, happens every year. Life happens, plans change, people sell their spots. Facebook, or post a want to buy here.

Sorry I looked back about 10 replies and entries and could not find the match it self. Do you have that information.
Thanks
Just got word, that they are going to release some spots in the next few days, or so. Look it up on, keep an eye out on practiscore, and Facebook.
Actually go to Practiscore right now, and look up KRG Extreme ELR. You can sign up right now, before they open it on the 16th. If you're interested in making it this year.

Last edited: