• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 Ruger: The battle between velocity and wind drift

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    I'm just finishing up a 24in .204 Ruger AR build and I'm doing some load data searches. I feel like the purpose of the cartridge is 32gr projectiles screaming at 4,200FPS. I've been reading that others have stepped up to 40gr bullets to help in the wind but that drops velocity. In a cartridge like this, does velocity trump all with ranges 400yrds and in? I already have .223s and 22-250s so I was just looking for a different round to play with. Any members here play with different bullet weights?

I fought with a 204 Ruger on a cz 527 for 2 years. Can get it to scream, but, the barrel
    Gets smokin hot after a few rounds. Not good in a dog patch! I just got it back
    From my plumber with a new barrel in 20 vartarg. I can shoot all day and the
    Barrel just gets warm. 204 ruger is serious overbore.

I have played around quite a bit with the light 26gr bullets, 32gr vmax, 40gr vmax, 40gr nosler. After loading both 32gr and 40gr bullets for a prairie dog blasting trip I must say I prefer the 40s. I used Reloader 10x for both bullet weights. I didn't do a max load with the 40gr bullets but I do believe the velocity was around 3700 or so, which you can definitely get faster. I personally preferred the 40s as the wind was whipping out there and we were occasionally shooting 300+ yards. The 32s were spectacular at close range but when you tried stretching them it just became very difficult. For what its worth, the nastiest hit I made on that trip was with a 40gr Nosler at exactly 100 yards. The bullet went into his mouth and through his body. It literally peeled him like a banana. My longest hit of the trip with the 204 was around 475 yards. Attempted some 600+ yarders but only managed to get within a foot or two.

I don't hunt but shoot steel with the .204 a lot, tried the 32 and 40 gr and after some testing, the 40 gr won, made hits past a hair over 800 yds repeatedly, the 32 not very good past 550 yds.
    Speed means nothing if you can't reach.
    Cheers.

A good friend has a 204 and found the same thing, he shoots 39 Blitz kings over RL 10x. It whacks critters and shoots plenty flat.

Dammit you guys! You were all supposed to agree on one bullet and make my reloading life easier. With components scarce these days, what powders should I be on the lookout for? I'll grab some 32gr, 39gr, and 40gr bullets and have at it. I also remember some guys complaining about Hornady brass in ARs. Any thoughts either way?

I bet the 39 gr Blitz King and the 40 grain V-Max will perform about the same. 32 gr V-Max and Varget is all that I could find when I started loading 204 this summer. Later I tried the 39 BK and liked how they performed. I have since bought 40 gr V-Max, but have not tired it yet. I am shooting a bolt gun and so far Hornady brass is working fine with no problems after third firing.

The only reason I shoot 32gr. vmax in my encore is because 1) their cheap. 2) the twist won't stabilize the 40 gr. vmax. However, my savage has a LW 1/10 twist barrel. 40gr. vmax are 3800 and it groups consistently under .3 (sometimes under .2). It is my only load and works on everything from squirrels to coyote.

I think you will find that the 40g's shoot plenty fast, are superior in the wind, and have better terminal performance than the 32g. loads.