• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 Build

Good information, Have you tried loading with any varget?
Varget should technically work, but you won't have the nice full case load like you would get with H4350. It would be better suited for lightweight bullets.

I've shot a truck load of Berger 75gr VLD's in a 9tw 22-6mm which is just a little bigger than a 22-250AI and I'm currently using 80gr ELD-M in my 8tw 224 Terminator. Both bullets shoot extremely well.

With the heavies, I'm guessing RL17 or RL26 will be the top performer on velocity with either 22-250 and 22-250AI. RL17 is a top velocity producer in the middle weight bullets for the 22-250 also.

Reactions: BigTy313
I've done Varget up to 62 gr, but I agree with what others posted - with heavies, you want to be looking at H4350, RL-23, RL-26 etc.

If anyones got a 22-250 in an mdt XRS chassis, or any caliber for that matter, with a 20” CF barrel, post a pic, just trying to get some visuals. Thanks!

I'm currently on what will likely be my last 22 centerfire. It is a 22 Creedmoor as it is the easy button as it relates to high performance 22 centerfires.

Over the years I've used two other rifles quite a bit, 22-250 and 22-250 AI.
Anymore I see forming brass as an inconvenience to get the case you really want which is now available commercially.

The 22 Creedmoor is making gains in popularity much faster than the 22-250 or the 22-250 AI or even the swift ever did.
I find it interesting that the 22-250 existed as a wildcat for over 40 years before Remington released it as a commercially available rifle, cartridge combination in 1965. No internet back in those days and word traveled slowly.

If anyones got a 22-250 in an mdt XRS chassis, or any caliber for that matter, with a 20” CF barrel, post a pic, just trying to get some visuals. Thanks!
Best pic I have at the moment. I just switched the rifle from a manners LRH into this XRS with enclosed forend.

It’s a Terminus Apollo, 6cm 20” proof carbon. 14lb 6oz with 8” steel can, 10rd loaded mag, and thermal.

IMG_3885.jpeg

Best pic I have at the moment. I just switched the rifle from a manners LRH into this XRS with enclosed forend.

It’s a Terminus Apollo, 6cm 20” proof carbon. 14lb 6oz with 8” steel can, 10rd loaded mag, and thermal.

View attachment 8398027
BEAUTY! What’s the contour? Diameter of barrel before the supressor, and by chance have any pics of it without supressor ?

I recently added 2 more 6.5 carbon barrels and a 18" carbon 6 barrel destined to be a 6x45 to replace my Tikka I sold in the same clambering. And I have in SS, proof and bartlein barrels. I might have overinvested in TL3 barrels, but I think they are the best for my purposes.
Since when did the TL3 become a multi barrel action? Where did you get that idea?

? Well, I have 4 TL3s, and 2 Ti3s..and since every action, bolt face, and barrel combo all headspace without issue, why not?
Just wondering where you got the idea to swap barrels on a TL3

It's sort of the big reason for the swappable bolt faces...why not? I don't lose anything by doing so. Why only have 1 setup when a guy can have anything from .221 fireball all the way up to the PRC..it's all realistic due to their machining tolerances

Reactions: waspocrew
It's sort of the big reason for the swappable bolt faces...why not? I don't lose anything by doing so. Why only have 1 setup when a guy can have anything from .221 fireball all the way up to the PRC..it's all realistic due to their machining tolerances
Was it your original idea or did you see it somewhere first?

Just wondering where you got the idea to swap barrels on a TL3
It’s a common thing… just swapped out my 22-250 AI for a 16” 300 BLK like 30 min ago. Pull barrel, swap bolt face, install new barrel and verify headspace.

Boom. Done.

IMG_4720.jpeg

Reactions: Travis224
There's actually quite a few different companies that offer 22 Creedmoor loaded ammo with heavy bullets. Gunwerks, Spark Munitions, Unknown Munitions, and Copper Creek all offer 22 CM ammo loaded with the heavies.

Don't know that you'll be able to get 22-250AI loaded ammo though so if buying loaded ammo is of any importance or your wanting a "factory available round" that'll eliminate the 22-250AI.

Since this is a custom build, unless you are wanting some kind of factory ammo to be available, why does it need to have "a factory available round"??
Every Ackley can shoot parent rd, if headspace is done right.

Every Ackley can shoot parent rd, if headspace is done right.
Sure, but if I didn’t reload, I wouldn’t chamber a rifle in an ackley improved only to shoot factory parent ammo through. I’d just use the standard chamber.

My Terminus Zeus with quick change tenon is faster than my TL3. Loosen the set screw, unscrew barrel, screw on new barrel, and then snug up the set screw.
If you cut out the set screws it would be faster....
1000004481.jpg

If you cut out the set screws it would be faster....
View attachment 8400579
I think the set screws make it so it's just hand tightened and removed the need for a barrel vise and action wrench..so not faster I wouldn't think. I could be wrong tho. Someone else here would know more on that than I. Im fine just using a vise and wrench and torquing to the same ft lbs everytime I install a barrel.

I think the set screws make it so it's just hand tightened and removed the need for a barrel vise and action wrench..so not faster I wouldn't think. I could be wrong tho. Someone else here would know more on that than I. Im fine just using a vise and wrench and torquing to the same ft lbs everytime I install a barrel.
No vise required. Just a crescent wrench. Screw it on and oogah-dougah it with a crescent wrench on the wrench flats. Same to remove.

Sure, but if I didn’t reload, I wouldn’t chamber a rifle in an ackley improved only to shoot factory parent ammo through. I’d just use the standard chamber.
Who said anything about not reloading? The question was on factory ammo in an Ackley. I was conveying that you can shoot factory ammo in an Ackley, it's called parent cartridge. When components are tight or if you are somewhere and need ammo, the parent cartridge can be used. I'm pro 22 creed, I've had 22-250 and 22-250ai, and there's nothing they can do that a creed can't. They also have a long list if negatives, can't believe anyone would mess with them in this day and age.

Agreed. Between the 22ARC, 22GT and 22 Creed that whole segment is saturated with easy performers

Who said anything about not reloading? The question was on factory ammo in an Ackley. I was conveying that you can shoot factory ammo in an Ackley, it's called parent cartridge. When components are tight or if you are somewhere and need ammo, the parent cartridge can be used. I'm pro 22 creed, I've had 22-250 and 22-250ai, and there's nothing they can do that a creed can't. They also have a long list if negatives, can't believe anyone would mess with them in this day and age.

The OP mentioned he wanted a factory round available. Go back through the thread. In that context, I wouldn’t have an Ackley just to shoot the parent round through.

I’m in total agreement though - having had the 22-250 AI and 22 Creed, the 22 Creed is the easy button.