• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 br

So I forgot I had a Redding Competition Micrometer 6BR Neck Sizing die on the shelf. I have all the Redding TiN bushings from 240-268.. So I grabbed 2 pieces of 4x Lapua 6BR, lubbed them up and neck sized them down with a 258 bushing then a 249 bushing.. Turned out great, no issues, sized like butter with Imperial.

The part Im confused about is why my neck measurements are so far off from you guys.... After running my 4x 6BR Lapua through the final .249 bushing...my sized neck measures .246.... I measured it 3x with both Mitutoyo calipers and my Mitutoyo micrometer... I then took 1 of the pieces of brass and ran it through my 21st Century TiN turning mandrel which brought me to .247... I left the other piece of brass sized with just the .249 bushing..

I loaded both pieces of brass with a 90smk... I get a measurement of .280 loaded neck diameter... So with the .249 only bushing, that leaves me .002 neck tension... With the mandrel, leaves me with .001 neck tension. So Ill size the rest of the 100pc box of brass down with a .247 bushing then use the mandrel to open back up .002 to give me a final neck tension of .002....

I dont get how you guys Lapua no turn loaded rounds are measuring .252-253 necks..???

Either way, Ive got dummy rounds made up right now and I got the numbers I need, no more wondering.

Right now I have the 90smk seated for max case capacity right here. A bearing surface is seated a little more than half way down the neck... Buts the base of the bullet right at the Neck/Shoulder junction..

Thoughts? Too far out?? Move the base of the bullet down to the Body/Shoulder junction and get all the bearing surface on the neck??

I had sent you an email telling you that my loaded rounds were .250-.251 and a .254" neck reamer is plenty of clearance. Most guys measure everything with $20 calipers. I do not.

Update: I went 22gt over 22br. I was able to buy 500pcs 22gt headstamp ready to shoot alpha brass, and I already had 6gt bushing dies. I'm extremely happy with it. The 90 atip ladder seated -10 had a 1" of vertical 1.5" wide 6 shot group at 35.6, 35.8, 36.0gr at 500y. Tried seating depths -10 -20 -30 -40, everything was under 1" at 300y with -20 being 3 shots touching......at 300y! Easiest load development I've ever done.

Reactions: stello1001
Update: I went 22gt over 22br. I was able to buy 500pcs 22gt headstamp ready to shoot alpha brass, and I already had 6gt bushing dies. I'm extremely happy with it. The 90 atip ladder seated -10 had a 1" of vertical 1.5" wide 6 shot group at 35.6, 35.8, 36.0gr at 500y. Tried seating depths -10 -20 -30 -40, everything was under 1" at 300y with -20 being 3 shots touching......at 300y! Easiest load development I've ever done.

This is hilarious because a buddy of mine and member on here just went through this exact scenario with 90smk and 88 eld and was the worst nightmare of loading ever. New Bartlein 1/7, alpha ocd reamer, alpha ocd brass....horrible groupings at both -10 and -20....h4350 and rl26.... I'm glad you had success....he has it being reamed into a 22cm now

What were your speeds with those charges weights??

Reactions: Emc_2015
This is hilarious because a buddy of mine and member on here just went through this exact scenario with 90smk and 88 eld and was the worst nightmare of loading ever. New Bartlein 1/7, alpha ocd reamer, alpha ocd brass....horrible groupings at both -10 and -20....h4350 and rl26.... I'm glad you had success....he has it being reamed into a 22cm now

What were your speeds with those charges weights??
35.6-36.0 went 3088-3112, I loaded 100 at 35.8 and shot a match, after the match i had 230 rounds on pipe and it sped up to 3150. I still took 3rd only dropping 8 shots in the match. I'll likely retune down around 35.2gr to drop back to 3100. During the laddee I went all the way up to 37.4gr at 3240fps, the pair of 37.4 were touching at 500y but that's too fast for prs(legally anyway)

I find it odd that it doesn't like the 88 eldm for your friend. I loaded 100 rounds of 34.5gr H4350 88s seated -25 and it was shooting 3/4 moa or better 10 shot groups. I did zero brass prep other than a chamfer/debur. The barrel is a 26" 7tw hawk hill heavy varmint, I went for the 0.219 bore for lower pressure and less jacket deformity. I love this lil cartridge so much I already ordered another barrel to be 28" heavy comp contour. Running an origin action from arc mags and feeds so effortless idk if it even loaded a round.

Reactions: Emc_2015 and padom
I bounced back and forth quite a bit between a 22GT and a 22 Dasher. The GT is a killer when you get it flying right, but I decided on giving the 22 Dasher a try. I want to see what a good load looks like at around 3100fps, and the Dasher will do that pretty easily.

I'm dropping off a barrel to my smith next week to cut that, a War Heavy Hawk Hill with the .219 bore, but in 7.5" twist. Its a ways out though, he has a pretty big backlog of work.

I bounced back and forth quite a bit between a 22GT and a 22 Dasher. The GT is a killer when you get it flying right, but I decided on giving the 22 Dasher a try. I want to see what a good load looks like at around 3100fps, and the Dasher will do that pretty easily.

I'm dropping off a barrel to my smith next week to cut that, a War Heavy Hawk Hill with the .219 bore, but in 7.5" twist. Its a ways out though, he has a pretty big backlog of work.
The dasher will run 3100 very easily. The dasher is a great case, I just cant get over the short neck, but they all shoot tiny, that's well known. The gt case feeds so nice with no mag mods(2 dif 6gt and a 22gt in my safe). I hope it isnt too tough to keep in tune, I'll likely bump out my bto .002 every 100 rounds.

Reactions: Birddog6424
The dasher will run 3100 very easily. The dasher is a great case, I just cant get over the short neck, but they all shoot tiny, that's well known. The gt case feeds so nice with no mag mods(2 dif 6gt and a 22gt in my safe). I hope it isnt too tough to keep in tune, I'll likely bump out my bto .002 every 100 rounds.

What reamer are you using??? Alpha reamer with ocd brass???

What reamer are you using??? Alpha reamer with ocd brass???
My gunsmith had a jgs spec'd to alpha dimension and then coated. Personally i think the reamer is a bit tight in the neck(003 clearance to loaded) but it shoots awesome.

My gunsmith had a jgs spec'd to alpha dimension and then coated. Personally i think the reamer is a bit tight in the neck(003 clearance to loaded) but it shoots awesome.

0.003 isn't bad....minimum I would do, 0.0015 per side but shouldn't be an issue. Why do you say it's a bit tight??? Any extraction issues?? Does a bullet slide in and out of a fired case?

0.003 isn't bad....minimum I would do, 0.0015 per side but shouldn't be an issue. Why do you say it's a bit tight??? Any extraction issues?? Does a bullet slide in and out of a fired case?
No issues, but these are field guns, not clean control condition bench guns. Id like 004 clearance minimum, but I'm having zero psi signs.

Reactions: Forward543
So I necked down 2 more pieces of 4x Lapua, but I used a 0.247" bushing this time in my final step down from 0.258" instead of the 0.249". This got me to .004" under loaded neck diameter so I can use my 21st Century mandrel to open up .002", leaving me with a final 0.002" neck tension. 0.247" was perfect... left me with 0.244" sized neck, I then ran it through my mandrel which gave me 0.246" sized neck... leaving me exactly 0.002" neck tension.

I seated the 95smk on this dummy round to get it as close as I want it while not leaving it so long the 90smk is jumping a mile...but also not leaving that 95smk deep down in the case.

I think this is a happy medium, here are the numbers for the dummy rounds pictured below.

90 SMK
Base to Ogive: 1.769"
COAL: 2.378"

95 SMK
Base to Ogive: 1.831"
COAL: 2.469"

Difference in base to Ogive (where bullet is going to contact lands) between the 90smk and 95smk dummy rounds, 0.062"

Maybe shoot the 90smk till that throat grows then switch to the 95smk. Idk gonna have to play with it...

Anyone shooting the 90smk and/or 90smk?? What is your freebore and distance to lands??

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 those 95smk are long as shit!!! Way longer than 90smk
Yeh they are..

As I mentioned above, I was out to .180 freebore on the barrel I was trying to run those in. I wouldn't be surprised if you would have to bump out to at least that or further to seat the bullet out into the neck like that.

My money is on a .200 to .220 freebore. Have a throating tool?

Here's my loaded round using the 85.5gr Berger LRHT. I'm jumping .040 with a freebore of .130. Combined overall length on this is 2.325, bullet length is 1.169. The 95gr SMKs if I recall are like 1.335, with a more Tangent profile.

Thx...so right in line with what I'm thinking

What does your lapua loaded neck measure that wasn't neck turned?? 0.253??
My Lapua loaded necks measure .252 to .2525, with some almost .253". I am using a Tikka action and I could feel resistance when closing the bolt on some rounds.

My Lapua loaded necks measure .252 to .2525, with some almost .253". I am using a Tikka action and I could feel resistance when closing the bolt on some rounds.

What are you using to measure your loaded neck??? Because my loaded lapua necks measure 0.248"...

Here's my loaded round using the 85.5gr Berger LRHT. I'm jumping .040 with a freebore of .130. Combined overall length on this is 2.325, bullet length is 1.169. The 95gr SMKs if I recall are like 1.335, with a more Tangent profile.

Thanks for the info...I may just stick to the 80/90gr bullets and forget about these 95smk and save them for something else with how much longer they are...

What are you using to measure your loaded neck??? Because my loaded lapua necks measure 0.248"...
A set of Starrett dial calipers. I don't have the exact model, they were my father's from when he was a machine tool planner at Beechcraft 50+ years ago. I sent them in to Starrett and had them refurbish them about 5 years ago.

I used a Redding 22BR die to size my brass initially and the a 6 BR Hornady match bushing die to re-size after the initial firing. I have a .247 and .249 bushing, but I don't remember which one I was using. I use the same bushings for my 223 depending on the brand of brass.

What are you guys trimming to??

I have 100pc of 4x Lapua 6BR that I've bumped back .001. They were fired in my Bartlein 6BR. They chamber perfectly in my new 22BR barrel now. Stepped necks down to .259 then .247 then opened back up .002 with 21st Century TiN mandrel. Leaves me .002 neck tension. Sizing was uneventful. No issues, they look great.

Most of the sized cases overall length measures 1.560"....I have some in there measuring 1.563-1.564"..

Debating trim them all to 1.560" now.... or firing these 100pc of converted brass then annealing, sizing and trimming them all to whatever shortest case is...or some standard 22br trim length everyone is using.. I don't trim 6BR very much...it doesn't grow...I suspect 22br will be the same but want to start load development with lengths uniform...

Have 28" Mullerworks cut rifled 4gr 1:7 .255 neck .100 FB screwed on my TL3 ready to go. May throat it out .030" but we will see after I shoot these first 100pc....

Got this formed brass loaded up with 88 ELD 0.02" off lands over 28.5gr Varget just to get some round down the new barrel and form this brass. I didnt trim the brass since they are all under 1.565". Ill trim them all to 1.555" after this first firing.

Once I put this 100rd down the barrel I'll do load development with 90smk

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
Caught a nice 60F day and got out of the office early today to shoot these 100rd of formed brass.

4xLapua 6BR converted to 22BR
88 ELD-M
0.02" Off lands
28.5gr Varget
Wolf Small Rifle Magnum
28" Mullerworks 4groove 1:7
Bighorn TL3
XLR JV Envy Pro Comp Chassis
PVA 22BR .255neck 0.100" freebore reamer
All shots fired with Rugged Surge 7.62
Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56 APRS6

First 20 shots out of the gun just to get some chrono data so I could move over to 700yd to form the rest of this brass. First 20 shots 2966 SD 7 and shot really nice. I wasnt trying my best to shoot tight groups, just running it fast to get chrono data and they were stacking in there at 100yd with zero load development.

After I got my chrono data, I setup my Kestrel and moved over to 700yd. First round hit but a few inches below the center line, trued my MV in the Kestrel....4.1mil to 700yd dead center the next hit. Fired off a few more shots and they were dead center. Had a switching 5-10mph wind and this little cartridge just kept on stacking them in there on a 6" swinger. Shot some really small plates at 634yd then packed up and called it a day.

No recoil, no pressure, stupid accurate with zero load development and just about at 3000. Fed great in my AI 10rd with PR mag kit...Im very happy so far. Cant wait to start load development with these 90smk!

Caught a nice 60F day and got out of the office early today to shoot these 100rd of formed brass.

88 ELD-M
0.02" Off lands
28.5gr Varget
Wolf Small Rifle Magnum
Bighorn TL3

First 20 shots out of the gun just to get some chrono data so I could move over to 700yd to form the rest of this brass. First 20 shots 2966 SD 7 and shot really nice. I wasnt trying my best to shoot tight groups, just running it fast to get chrono data and they were stacking in there at 100yd with zero load development.

After I got my chrono data, I setup my Kestrel and moved over to 700yd. First round hit but a few inches below the center line, trued my MV in the Kestrel....4.1mil to 700yd dead center the next hit. Fired off a few more shots and they were dead center. Had a switching 5-10mph wind and this little cartridge just kept on stacking them in there on a 6" swinger. Shot some really small plates at 634yd then packed up and called it a day.

No recoil, no pressure, stupid accurate with zero load development and just about at 3000. Fed great in my AI 10rd with PR mag kit...Im very happy so far. Cant wait to start load development with these 90smk!

Thats money brother..

I ran my first barrel beginning to end at damn near exactly that load. Your speed looks great, it's grouping.

You may be done with load development 🤣

What's the specs??? so I can borrow it from you to cut this Bartlein 29" 1-7.5 219 5R blank I just bought.🤣🤣🤣
I leaned pretty hard on @Birddog6424 for the specs; 0.255 neck and 0.130 FB, 1:7 and whatever bore diameter comes standard from Bartlein, removable pilot. We’ll see how she shoots, can’t really wait!

When’s your barrel arriving? I gotta wait another two months per Manson, but they said sometimes they ship earlier than estimated. Happy to loan the reamer for a small wear-and-tear fee, not like I’m gonna wear it out myself anytime soon.

Reactions: verdugo60

88 ELD-M
0.02" Off lands
28.5gr Varget
Wolf Small Rifle Magnum
Bighorn TL3

Interesting to see the differences with your load.
I'm at 3086fps with:
88gr ELD
30.2gr Varget
Lapua 2x fired
Federal 205M AR
28" Krieger 4 groove 7 twist .218 bore
.255 neck .195 freebore

Last edited:
I was just asking because it looks like Padom is getting a higher velocity per grain weight. Which is what I figured you were getting at. But he's also close to the lands. I know I get a higher velocity/ more pressure with a close jump vs a long jump. Thought maybe you were losing some speed with a real long jump.
Yeah, it could be several things. .218 vs .219 bore, different primer, larger gap between powder column and bullet, maybe even land design since mullerworks barrels have a R style land vs the traditional squared land with the krieger. Could be a combination of all of these differences and not just 1 or 2.

Hi guys,
Havent participate in a while, got my second 22br ready for prs season.
Finished my load dev yesterday, here is a small group of 5 rounds with my final load.
Sd of 4, es of 8. Gonna work for sure.
Shooting 95gr at 2920fps, 0.010 jam.
barrel is a benchmark gain twist from 6.75 to 6.25. (Neck are turned but i think my chamber use a 254nk and my smith passed a unithroater)
20220212_103028.jpg

Reactions: 260284 and S3th
Hi guys,
Havent participate in a while, got my second 22br ready for prs season.
Finished my load dev yesterday, here is a small group of 5 rounds with my final load.
Sd of 4, es of 8. Gonna work for sure.
Shooting 95gr at 2920fps, 0.010 jam.
barrel is a benchmark gain twist from 6.75 to 6.25. (Neck are turned but i think my chamber use a 254nk and my smith passed a unithroater)
View attachment 7816891

What was your load development? Powder? Final charge?

What was your load development? Powder? Final charge?
I tried rl16 and varget.
Tested rl16 from 29 to 31gr by .1gr increment.
Tested varget from 28 to 30gr by .1gr increment.
Varget being harder to find I kept the rl16 as main powder but found promising stuff with the varget.
Ended at 30.4gr to be my load with the 95gr. There is also one at 30.9 (2970fps) but got better group with the lower node.

No. I haven't shot my(your) BR in a while. Trying to burn out a Dasher first. I've got 10 lb of n150 standing by waiting for the br when I get to it.

Ah the Krieger. Nice. I shot mine early this week for the 1st time in a long time to shoot up the rest of the 4x lapua to convert to 22br.... had 107smk loaded on the shelf and they shot lights out. Love my 6br

I'll post up my vv results when I get them loaded

Reactions: reubenski
Im just about to start a side by side comparison 220TB shooting 90smk @ 3000 to a 22BR shooting 90smk @ 3000.

Now that you have both I would be interested in a case capacity comparison with a fine ball powder like ....CFE 223 or..?
If you would be so kind.

Anyone shooting the newer pointed 90gr smk? I know a few guys out east shooting them in 22creed and 22gt and say the BC is actually quite good, around 285, higher and more consistent than the 88eldm for them.

Anyone shooting the newer pointed 90gr smk? I know a few guys out east shooting them in 22creed and 22gt and say the BC is actually quite good, around 285, higher and more consistent than the 88eldm for them.

Exactly what I'm shooting and have been for a while.

Reading some posts from back in 2018, this is when it sounds like Sierra started pointing these 90 grain bullets. So it would be safe to assume that all recent lots of these bullets would be this pointed version? Or is there a specific part number I should be looking for? Thanks

Last edited:
Reading some posts from back in 2018, this is when it sounds like Sierra started pointing these 90 grain bullets. So it would be safe to assume that all recent lots of these boats would be this pointed version? Or is there a specific part number I should be looking for? Thanks

Same part# but yes if purchased NEW in past 18-24minths and not old inventory or from someone sitting on old version they are all pointed... that goes for 80smk too...

I have pictures showing old vs new around here somewhere I'll post...very obvious pointing at the tip vs non-pointed older 90smk

Reactions: patscrazy
8 months later and my 22BR OBW shipped from PVA. Debating if I should shoot virgin brass with 88/Varget or 69/TAC to somewhat fireform the barrel and speed it up.