• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Creedmoor shooters - any regrets?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on some 22 cal barrel - just not sure if I should go for a fast twist 22-250 or 22 Creed.

Anyone shooting the 90+ grainers?
    Optimal bbl length?
    It looks Alpha is still behind producing brass - how involved is it resizing 6.5cm brass? Is it still better to fireform 22-250?

Overal, would you recommend it?

Reactions: Skunkworx
    Haven’t built or shot a 22 creed yet, but just wanted to add that peterson just released 6cm brass and Hornady has it as well. I’d personally pick the peterson. Starting with a 6mm brass would simplify your initial prep.

Haven’t built or shot a 22 creed yet, but just wanted to add that peterson just released 6cm brass and Hornady has it as well. I’d personally pick the peterson. Starting with a 6mm brass would simplify your initial prep.

Alpha is making 22 Creed brass. No prep needed.

I regret not doing it sooner. I only slightly regret doing a 22" tube instead of a 24". Other than that, none at all.

My gun happens to like 69TMK very very much, squirting it at about 3525ish, with room to grow. SO far, the TMK is proving to be a killer, so my drive to play with heavier stuff hasnt been all that strong.

No regrets here.

80.5 berger at 3440 24" 1-8 barrel

75's are 3500
    69's are almost 3600

I just sized down 6cm hornady brass using one pass through the die, easy enough.
    Did you need to neck turn?

I have not ever reloaded a single rifle cartridge, much less delve into the wildcat world. BUT...the idea of this thing has me jacked to start into all of it!!

Reactions: willswim4pie
    I have not ever reloaded a single rifle cartridge, much less delve into the wildcat world. BUT...the idea of this thing has me jacked to start into all of it!!
    It's great to be excited but I would suggest if you have never loaded before to start out with a cartridge you are already shooting and learn the basics.

what dies are you guys running? Ponying up for whidden, or using different bushings w/ the 6.5 dies?

I have a mentor that can help me with all the basics, while still getting this in the go along. If we decide that i'm better served just loading for 223 and see what happens then i'll do that until i get more proficient. Otherwise, its damn the torpedoes ....full steam ahead!!

*all kidding aside...i'm hoping the mentor will build one with me so we can do this as a group project

@Winny94 Winny94

Im using a 6cm whidden bushing die with a .252 bushing and i ordered a custom seater die from them based off the reamer print

I have a mentor that can help me with all the basics, while still getting this in the go along. If we decide that i'm better served just loading for 223 and see what happens then i'll do that until i get more proficient. Otherwise, its damn the torpedoes ....full steam ahead!!

*all kidding aside...i'm hoping the mentor will build one with me so we can do this as a group project
    A good mentor is priceless I have mentored a few individuals and it has been rewarding. I have some 22-250 brass that I would like to turn into 22 creedmoor someday funds are not abundant right now so it will be a future endeavor. Good luck

I will be putting one together when I get the Nucleus action,I'll be using a 20" 1-8 twist Wilson Arms barrel. I've had 1200 75 gr AMax bullets setting around just waiting to be loaded.

I have never Shot a 22CM but being a wildcat caliber How is bullet performance I'm interested in the BC

I have never Shot a 22CM but being a wildcat caliber How is bullet performance I'm interested in the BC
    We are not quite sure what your question is here. I would recommend getting a 223 remington of some variant and shooting it and learning as you go before jumping into a 22 creedmoor or any other wildcat for that matter.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
    Faster than 250 ai, feeds out of aics mags great and no fireform= less rounds on your barrel for setup,

this is a hotrod, so barrel life is something people need to think about on this one, havent burned mine out yet, kinda hard when you only pull it once and it blows open evey animal ive shot,

Me and several others have tried the 90’s , and they could be downloaded to make a prs speed limit of 3200fps, but i still think the 90’s long bearing surface and the overbore characteristics of the 22cm will make for an even shorter barrel life span, especialy shooting 10rd strings fast,

not to mention, i dont even want to think about what an unlimited round count stage would do to the throat of the 22cm

Its bad ass on yotes and crows!!!

I have been running the 22x47L for the past five years,barrel life on both bartleins was right at 1300. This was running a 90 grain vld at 3150. I am sure the creedmoor will be in the same ballpark. Barrel life= accurate and consistent, not saying it still won't shoot past that, 1300 was the mark I started getting the weird flyers and velocity abberations.

I guess I am an even tighterwad. I use RCBS 2-die F/L dies for about everything, except Hornady New Dimension for .260, and Redding 2-die F/L for .222 (which I'm not currently loading).

Greg

Faster than 250 ai, feeds out of aics mags great and no fireform= less rounds on your barrel for setup,

this is a hotrod, so barrel life is something people need to think about on this one, havent burned mine out yet, kinda hard when you only pull it once and it blows open evey animal ive shot,

Me and several others have tried the 90’s , and they could be downloaded to make a prs speed limit of 3200fps, but i still think the 90’s long bearing surface and the overbore characteristics of the 22cm will make for an even shorter barrel life span, especialy shooting 10rd strings fast,

not to mention, i dont even want to think about what an unlimited round count stage would do to the throat of the 22cm

Its bad ass on yotes and crows!!!

Melonite?

I am sending Travis the components for one this week.
    LP razor
    Manners Eh2
    Hawkins DBM
    Benchmark #5 1:7 @ 23”

224 is, I guess a “passsion” for me...the high bc bullets are fantastically fun and functional with little to no recoil...
    I believe with the popularity of the Valkyrie the light will be shown on the benefits of longer heavier .224 bullets with velocities that yield amazing dope...also it will show manufacturers that we want twist rates to match “today’s bullets” and high bc’s. This performance will get the 22cm standardized...imo
    no one seems to want to put a barrel on a 250 that will spin anything above 50gr...missing the boat on popularity of high bc .224 setups specifically the functionality of a 1:8 22-250 for varmints to deer...
    I think a “new” caliber, ie the 22cm will allow them to offer a fast twist .224

I’m at 5k’ so I am hoping I can make the 90gr sierra’s work just to see what the 22cm will do
    I did go with a SS barrel over a proof cf because I do anticipate lower life expectancy. If I love the round I may go with a cf in the future
    I have a 22-250ai with a 1:8 rock and it won’t spin them 90’s too great but the 75 Amax is fantastic
    I just picked up a 22-250 with a 1:7 bartlein 3b and it shoots the 80.5 vld’s less than .5”
    I”ll have to see if I can get some velocity comparisons
    I’ll be using Redding bushing dies and then get the .224 expander and a .224 seating micrometer. Unless I find a used set of whidden dies.

I think the benefits of the 22cm over the 22-250ai would make your decision the right one.
    Factory brass or single pass forming are huge
    Also mag feeding of the Creedmoor case is far superior to the 22-250ai
    A 1:7” 22-250 with the 80.5 vld’s is a great option too! if you want more speed I’d go either ai or cm depending on how you feel about the above “benefits”
    and your build specifics...BOTH have serious cool factor, imo!

Good luck!

Reactions: DIBBS
    I've been shooting a 22-250ai with a 7 twist for a little while now. Shooting 90 grain berger vld at 3199fps but have had them to 3400. I just got 500 of the new 95gr match kings in to try.

Recoil is actually a little less than my much heavier dasher, and ballistics are way better. Had it out to 720yrd so far and it did great.

I wanted a 22 creed but due to a friend of mine having the 22-250AI reamer and also gave me some fireformed brass, it was kinda a no brainer to go that route. You won't regret 22-250ai, 22 creed, 22 dasher, 22x47l, all are going to do it!! Just make sure you get enough twist to run these new bullets

I've been shooting a 22-250ai with a 7 twist for a little while now. Shooting 90 grain berger vld at 3199fps but have had them to 3400. I just got 500 of the new 95gr match kings in to try.

Recoil is actually a little less than my much heavier dasher, and ballistics are way better. Had it out to 720yrd so far and it did great.

I wanted a 22 creed but due to a friend of mine having the 22-250AI reamer and also gave me some fireformed brass, it was kinda a no brainer to go that route. You won't regret 22-250ai, 22 creed, 22 dasher, 22x47l, all are going to do it!! Just make sure you get enough twist to run these new bullets

Let us know how the 95gr SMK's run for you.... Please. Thanks.

I've ran a good amount of 90gr vld through my 22. I got in a pinch and even slowed it down (3096 vs the 3300) for a prs match which it shot great at. I have zero regrets. It is very fun to shoot.

Anyone with MV data running 95smk in .22 Creed? Would like to know what guys are getting along with barrel lengths.

No not on the 95s. I shot some more 90 gr Berger vld tonight. Took it to 1100 yards. 7.2 mil to 1100. Shot awesome. My friends saum 4s takes 7.3 for comparison. Same wind.

That sounds tempting.... What MV you running the 90's at? And barrel length?

I got a couple different loads with 90gr vld withba 24" Broughton. 3250 with IMR4451 and 2 nodes running rl26 at 3096 and 3300. It's a hammer either way. Rl26 is great for speed but doesn't seem as temp stable as other common powders. It seemed to have bands/windows where it it's fairly repeatable though.

Reactions: Subhunter2