• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 creedmoor

I’m hoping to order a DT SRS barrel soon in 22 Creed. Im leaning towards 1:8 twist because I plan on launching 75-80gr ELDs as fast as possible for coyotes. I want as flat as possible for my night rig. Anybody have some starting points to get me close? Most likely a 22-24” barrel non suppressed.

Just built an upper with a 22” x-caliber barrel with rifle length gas system. I loaded up 20 rounds with intentionally mild loads to function test. I only had a little time last Sunday to borrow a buddies magnetospeed so no accuracy results. I will continue load development once my hp bolt gets here from Rubber City Armory. I was using a standard 308 bolt and even with my mild loads the primers were showing slight cratering. Pretty sure that I will be able to push it more with the smaller firing pin.

Here is the load I tested with

95 SMK
38 grains H4831sc
GM210m
2855 fps
sd mid 20’s and es mid 40’s
6 creed starline brass

I will be satisfied if I can end up around 3000 with the 95’s in a gas gun.

Here's some load data I've shot with the 82 gr. Berger LR. All have been very accurate on steel at 600. I've managed three different groups less than 3" at 600 yards and one group of 1.5". It's a Bartlein 8 twist on a Bighorn TL3.

4831SC 45.5 3517
R23 43 3407
R23 43.5 3448
R23 44 3486
R23 44.5 3519
R26 45.5 3536, 3540
MRP 45 3400

Reactions: tydex21
Having to abandon the Berger 90g bullets. Too many are blowing up.
Not sure if it's the barrel or them spinning at 340,000 rpm's
Cleaned and borescopes the barrel and everything looks good.
Going to try the Hornady 75g elm's Heard they are a little stronger jacket.
I tried to load the video, won't let me so I stopped a frame. The little white dot is the bullet blowing up
Did this a half a dozen times.
Hawkhill 7tw 26 inch running them @3300 then dropped to 3250 and the same thing.
XK5UivtYSnmtB6gNOCNqYw.jpg

Try cleaning the barrel. I’ve got 1150 rounds on my 7 twist barrel. 1000 of them are 95smk and never had s problem until they started blowing up on me halfway thru a match last weekend. Took it home and it had a large carbon ring. I truly think that it was doing two things. Damaging the bullet jacket and weakening it as well as creating extra pressure and pushing my RPMs up. Brought it home and bore scopes it with that new borescope in the equipment section and cleaned it till it looked new. Aside from the fire cracking everything looks good. I’m taking it out next week to try it again

Last edited:
I’m running mine at 3200 FPS on the nose. Hope it helps

Also I’ve tried the hornady 88 eld and they blow up on command. I believe the hornady jackets are thinner compared to the SMKs.

If I get the same problem with the 75's then going to try the 90g smk's. Midway has factory blems,
Always liked the smk's, just the 90's are almost twice as much for some reason. Only after another through cleaning.
This was always intended to be a long range coyote and plinker anyways. Just need a reliable bullet.
480 rounds down this tube. If I do this again, will have a 7.5 tw next time.

If I get the same problem with the 75's then going to try the 90g smk's. Midway has factory blems,
Always liked the smk's, just the 90's are almost twice as much for some reason. Only after another through cleaning.
This was always intended to be a long range coyote and plinker anyways. Just need a reliable bullet.
480 rounds down this tube. If I do this again, will have a 7.5 tw next time.

Dont overlook the 80.5 Berger Fullbore's. They kill extremely well and are ridiculously easy to tune. Had mine out to 780yds with excellent results. I am running a 22" 8tw rock creek and they leave the muzzle at 3393fps with 42.2 of h4350 in Lapua srp brass

Last edited:
Reactions: Rstrick0352
Dont overlook the 80.5 Berger Fullbore's. They kill extremely well and are ridiculously easy to tune. Had mine out to 780yds with excellent results. I am running a 22" 8tw rock creek and they leave the muzzle at 3393fps with 42.2 of h4350 in Lapua sep brass

You’re not kidding. In a 26 inch barrel I got them going to 3600 FPS and held a a one inch group and 300 yards seated .020 of the lands

Reactions: Huckleberry75
I've seen a lot of you using the 80.5 Bergers with no complaints.
The BC didn't impress me, but if they hold together and shoot well.
Better than what I'm dealing with.

I had some 90 gr berger blow up, but never a 95 sierra. Although I was running the 95 about 150fps slower as well.

My freebore is short. Noticed it when I first went to see the measurement to the lands
and loaded a 90 smk. Damn thing was barely sticking out. So went with a bullet that I could load
longer, which meant a more secant style bullet.
Talked to my smith and said he just bought a new reamer with more freebore, now he tells me.
Would like to also try the 95's, just think they are way too long.
Live and learn.

My freebore is short. Noticed it when I first went to see the measurement to the lands
and loaded a 90 smk. Damn thing was barely sticking out. So went with a bullet that I could load
Talked to my smith and said he just bought a new reamer with more freebore, now he tells me.
Live and learn.

Any good smith should have a set of throat reamers...... and can set that fb to what ever you like

Live and learn.

My freebore is 0.080 since it was just a standard reamer from PTG and my coal with the 95smk is 2.700 into the lands

That's short but not too bad. I'm at 2.800 at the land. That put me just above the junction to clear any possible donut.

I saw the the throat grow .030 in the first 150 rounds so I had my two new barrels both chambered with .180 freebore so it’ll be 2.770 to the lands on the first rounds

I saw the the throat grow .030 in the first 150 rounds so I had my two new barrels both chambered with .180 freebore so it’ll be 2.770 to the lands on the first rounds

I knock on wood but my troat only grew 0.015 after 350 ish rounds.

But that said if I had to do it again I'd have it troat for 2.770 or 2.780 to take into account the first 500 rounds.

I knock on wood but my troat only grew 0.015 after 350 ish rounds.

But that said if I had to do it again I'd have it troat for 2.770 or 2.780 to take into account the first 500 rounds.

That’s not bad. I wouldn’t expect yours to grow any more. I’m currently at 1150 rounds and it hasn’t grown since the first 150 rounds that were fired

That’s not bad. I wouldn’t expect yours to grow any more. I’m currently at 1150 rounds and it hasn’t grown since the first 150 rounds that were fired

I hope your right lol.

I'm conservative with my load and run only H4831SC and H1000 with the 95's.
I've e settle on 3080 fps to keep it as "easy" as possible on the troat.

I hope your right lol.

I'm conservative with my load and run only H4831SC and H1000 with the 95's.
I've e settle on 3080 fps to keep it as "easy" as possible on the troat.

My load for 3200fps is 42.8 grains of H1000 at a coal of 2.680

Last edited:
I have a 22 Creedmoor shipping this week. I'll load up some tests over the weekend, then report back.

22 inch barrel with 1-7 twist.

Bullets:
75 gr ELD-M
77 gr Barnes LRX
78 gr Barnes TSX
80 gr Berger VLD

Powders:
N160
H4831sc
MRP
4000-MR
N560

Last edited:
I will be returning from a deployment in the next couple days and intend on trying the 78gr Barnes with MRP and 4831 as you are. I have a 22” 1-8 twist barrel. Before I left I was having great luck with 62gr Barnes and CFE223 when I wasn’t having hangfires because of the small primer brass I was using FWIW. I may for LRP just to see how good that projectile/powder combo will give me.

I will be returning from a deployment in the next couple days and intend on trying the 78gr Barnes with MRP and 4831 as you are. I have a 22” 1-8 twist barrel. Before I left I was having great luck with 62gr Barnes and CFE223 when I wasn’t having hangfires because of the small primer brass I was using FWIW. I may for LRP just to see how good that projectile/powder combo will give me.

Were you using CCI-450 SRMP's? Those are the ticket

Looks like our first cold front coming Sunday. Planning on testing my 90 & 95gr SMK loads Tuesday?

Reactions: kindabitey
I may have missed it in the thread, but looking for a little help with H4350 and 95’s from a 1:6.5 23” barrel that would put me in or around 3100-3200.

Thanks in advance.

Haven’t seen much posted regarding barrel life so I figured id give an update on what I’ve seen. My current barrel with the short freebore is at 1400 rounds and haven’t seen accuracy go down, but I just saw the speed fall by about 25 FPS recently so I’m thinking a good expectation is in the 1500 round count. I’ve run mine hard so you could probably see 1800-2000 rounds with a conservative load.

I may have missed it in the thread, but looking for a little help with H4350 and 95’s from a 1:6.5 23” barrel that would put me in or around 3100-3200.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 6.5 twist and was getting 3100-3200 with IMR 7828 and 95smk’s but bullets were blowing apart, which is something I was worried about with the fast twist. I have not had a chance to work with any other powders to see if I get different results. I’m probably going to have to reduce speed I guess, which stinks because kind of defeats the purpose of the caliber. O well I will get a 7 twist next time.

Could you load 22 creedmoor mild like a 22 BR and get the same performance but all the advantages of cheaper brass and easier feeding? Or do you lose accuracy at those lower powder charges?

Could you load 22 creedmoor mild like a 22 BR and get the same performance but all the advantages of cheaper brass and easier feeding? Or do you lose accuracy at those lower powder charges?

If you went that route, I would look for a bulky powder to help keep the SD low..ish with 90%+ case fill type of loads. (ie Think trailboss for Cowboy loads)

I have a 6.5 twist and was getting 3100-3200 with IMR 7828 and 95smk’s but bullets were blowing apart, which is something I was worried about with the fast twist. I have not had a chance to work with any other powders to see if I get different results. I’m probably going to have to reduce speed I guess, which stinks because kind of defeats the purpose of the caliber. O well I will get a 7 twist next time.

Do you have a 5R rifleing? And how many rounds have your fired? I have run the 95 smk past 3300 FPS in a 7 twist without any blowing up and then got a decent sized carbon ring which was blowing up bullets when I was shooting them at 3200

I guess that is my concern now, too fast of a twist for those speeds.

Haven’t seen much posted regarding barrel life so I figured id give an update on what I’ve seen. My current barrel with the short freebore is at 1400 rounds and haven’t seen accuracy go down, but I just saw the speed fall by about 25 FPS recently so I’m thinking a good expectation is in the 1500 round count. I’ve run mine hard so you could probably see 1800-2000 rounds with a conservative load.

Barrel and load specs? Thanks

Barrel and load specs? Thanks

it’s a 1-7 twist 5R at 26 inches. Shoots a 95 smk at 3200 with 42.8 H1000, 205M and .020 of the lands with a coal of 2.680. This was the first barrel and my new ones are both at a distance to the lands of 2.800, but they are both 5R 1-6.5 twists

Do you have a 5R rifleing? And how many rounds have your fired? I have run the 95 smk past 3300 FPS in a 7 twist without any blowing up and then got a decent sized carbon ring which was blowing up bullets when I was shooting them at 3200

Yea, bartlein with 5R. 26” length and I’m right at 100 rounds I believe. This was during load development and it has been cleaned. When I first saw it happen I thought it may be some carbon and copper build up possibly.

I am actually working up loads for two different rifles with same barrels and both are doing the same thing.

All shots have been shoot with chronograph and numbers have been pretty consistent, other than a little increase in speed after 50 rounds or so.

In the 7 twist at those velocities your RPMs are still lower than the 6.5 twist at 3100fps. In the 7 twist at 3300 FPS your getting approximately 338,428 rpms and in the 6.5 twist at 3100 FPS your getting approximately 343,384 rpms.

If you calculate them both twist at 3200 FPS it’s 25,000 rpm difference which I expect is enough to make a difference.

it’s a 1-7 twist 5R at 26 inches. Shoots a 95 smk at 3200 with 42.8 H1000, 205M and .020 of the lands with a coal of 2.680. This was the first barrel and my new ones are both at a distance to the lands of 2.800, but they are both 5R 1-6.5 twists

Good to know. My barrel is a Bartlein 5r 6.5 @ 24”. I’d be happy to get 3000fps with it.

Have you had any experience with your 6.5 barrels? Or are they next in line?

Dschapp44, You need to tell us what the secret is to get to 1000 rounds.

Mine started to grenade bullets at 400+ rounds. ( 3 different weights and companies) Got so tired of it, pulled the barrel.
As others are finding out, to make this round worth while, need to run heavy
bullets fast and in a fast twist barrel or what's the point ballistically wise. It was fun while it lasted and learn some
things. I can run the same BC ( .5-.6 ) in a 6mm at 3000-3100 and know my bullet isn't going
to blow up at some point. (in a match or at a varmint ) Just not a practical round to shoot a lot of rounds thru for me.

In the 7 twist at those velocities your RPMs are still lower than the 6.5 twist at 3100fps. In the 7 twist at 3300 FPS your getting approximately 338,428 rpms and in the 6.5 twist at 3100 FPS your getting approximately 343,384 rpms.

If you calculate them both twist at 3200 FPS it’s 25,000 rpm difference which I expect is enough to make a difference.

All new to me. Didn’t know how RPM played into the equation, but starting to understand now.

Yea, bartlein with 5R. 26” length and I’m right at 100 rounds I believe. This was during load development and it has been cleaned. When I first saw it happen I thought it may be some carbon and copper build up possibly.

I am actually working up loads for two different rifles with same barrels and both are doing the same thing.

All shots have been shoot with chronograph and numbers have been pretty consistent, other than a little increase in speed after 50 rounds or so.

I started blowing the 95s up in my 1-7 and when i looked through the bore scope there was a massive carbon ring on it. Once I cleaned it out everything went back to normal.

Good to know. My barrel is a Bartlein 5r 6.5 @ 24”. I’d be happy to get 3000fps with it.

Have you had any experience with your 6.5 barrels? Or are they next in line?

I just put the 6.5 twist on last week after our season finale was over. I figured i was on borrowed time with the current 1-7 twist barrels round count so i took it off. I had one spun up as a 7 twist when i first got the reamer and figured I'd try the 6.5 twist so had two extra spun up at the time

I did the math as well but have a buddy shooting the 95 smk at 3100 out of his 22 dasher with a 1-6.5 twist so i figure i should be safe, but i'm starting to get a little worries. Might need to move back to a 1-7 but i'll try and do some testing this week.