• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I perfer the target grip over the 45 grip myself. My very first pistol was a MKII. I had a 22/45 and sold it, never liked the grip even though I have and like 1911's.

I have a MKIII and two Volquartsen Scorpions, all have the target grip.

I'll odd out with you. S&W 617 with a 4" barrel. 10 rounds of rimfire goodness in a K frame.

Picked up one of these last year. My oldest son keeps trying to claim it as his. Someday, maybe, but not today.

browning buckmark is nice, but for the dollar a heritage classic roughrider is hard to beat and really fun to shoot.

You could always get the bull barrel version and buy a Tactical Solutions barrel for around $250. Easy to change and adds more versatility. You can run a red dot on one and open sites on the other, different barrel lengths, etc.

In my experience, the steel bull barrel models tend to shoot noticeably more accurately than the Lite version, and both shoot better than the Tactical Solutions uppers. Of course the guys who've dropped $250-$300 on a TacSol don't like to hear or admit that, but that's what results on paper have shown me.

Personally, my #1 choice is the 4" bull barrel model in either MKI-IV or 22/45 flavor, threaded for a suppressor, and a miniature red dot on top.

The MK-series really is not difficult to re-assemble, as long as you learn the trick to align the hammer strut. Some are fit a little bit tight but that's a good thing. Seems that most people just don't have the patience or inclination to bother learning how to assemble these.

Reactions: obx22
What is a good, reliable, 22 pistol for general plinking and training? I am looking at the Ruger MKIV 22/45, but wanted to know if there is anything else on the market to look at? I have shot the Taurus TX22 or whatever they call it, but am not entirely sold on the Taurus brand.
I love my 1990-vintage S&W 422.

Also have a look at the Smith & Wesson SW22. I love mine and it has been 100% reliable.
It has also picked up quite a bit of aftermarket support from TandemKross.
Agree about the Smith. Functions great, easy to clean and accurate. Had nothing but feeding failures with the buckmark even after thoroughly cleaning, which is a chore to get it taken apart to where you can even start to clean it

Colt Woodsman First Series Sport Model. This one is circa 1934.
Getting harder to find in this condition.

Attachments

• 75F95009-2AF4-466F-9922-331817AC9B02.jpeg
    75F95009-2AF4-466F-9922-331817AC9B02.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 44
What is a good, reliable, 22 pistol for general plinking and training? I am looking at the Ruger MKIV 22/45, but wanted to know if there is anything else on the market to look at? I have shot the Taurus TX22 or whatever they call it, but am not entirely sold on the Taurus brand.
Browning Buckmark

Reactions: PDXGS
Bought a factory second Heritage Firearms 22LR single action revolver and love it! Purely just fun and functional if you have a bit of tree varmints around the compound. Heritage offers a 22mag wheel and the fun just got better!

I have a Walther PPK in .22LR. with my Gemtec. can on it. It's James Bond quiet. without the can on it. It will fit in my back pocket of my Wranglers. Carry it to go to the pasture to check on the horses. More than one Buzz-tail has fallen to it!

Reactions: camocorvette
Browning Medalist for the win!
Has a dry fire function.

Nah, seriously, if you’re using it more low cost training then get something with the shape and features of your daily carry…it’s difficult to find a bad .22 from the major brands.
I like Buckmarks but also like the Ruger 22/45.
Pardinis and other esoterica are on a whole different planet.
B6FC6972-E36F-4A54-B387-68E7766004E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Any Ruger mark 4. 22/45 light , tactical or Hunter .

Forgot , if you don't have a Ruger SR-22 that's the first 22 pistol you should buy . Ultra fun , reliable , inexpensive, and now you can put a can or a red dot on them .

Glock 44 is a good 22 caliber

I would also vote for the Taurus TX22. I have had Taurus guns that did not function properly, have had some serviced by the factory to become good performers also. I have owned a TX22 for about two years, shot all sorts of 22lr through it, and I think I have cleaned it once. It works very well, is comfortable and has a decent trigger. I think it's a great plinking gun. YMMV.

The TacSol rail which the incorporated rear sight is a nice addition to these, and a definite improvement over the stock plastic top section.
The top section isn’t plastic on these, it’s either aluminum or stainless. A magnet won’t stick to it, but it’s definitely not plastic. The Target sights on these buck marks are all steel also. Very satisfied with the quality of this pistol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beppo
The top section isn’t plastic on these, it’s either aluminum or stainless. A magnet won’t stick to it, but it’s definitely not plastic. The Target sights on these buck marks are all steel also. Very satisfied with the quality of this pistol.
It is plastic on some Buckmark models, like my stainless Camper.

There’re so many different variations in Buckmark models that you can’t really say that any particular part is or isn’t something always. (Good example why a sample of one isn’t good data.) I wasn’t saying that all of them are plastic, but that the rail is a good replacement for the plastic part.

Reactions: Seader1084
S&W Victory is not overpriced, easy 1 bolt takedown, threaded barrel, 10 round magazines, very suppressor friendly. Mine is accurate enough to suit small varmints, plinking and all the fun stuff 22's are made for. If accuracy or competition is your flavor, the S&W Model 41 is an incredible pistol at a premium price, but if serious shooting is your thing, you won't find better.

I used to be a big fan of the older ruger mk .22s but what a pita to clean.

Got a full size m&p .22 and dumped all of the rugers. The mp has been great, use it for new shooters in ccw classes. I will add a mp compact one day. They are made by Walther if it matters..

I'd recommend a smith 41 also, you can get thread adapters to use a can.

I used to be a big fan of the older ruger mk .22s but what a pita to clean.

Got a full size m&p .22 and dumped all of the rugers. The mp has been great, use it for new shooters in ccw classes. I will add a mp compact one day. They are made by Walther if it matters..

I'd recommend a smith 41 also, you can get thread adapters to use a can.
The Rugers are only difficult for people who can't or won't learn the one simple detail about re-assembling them. It's not that hard.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I just posted in another thread earlier tonight - https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...pistol-as-supressor-host.7097677/post-9816066

As much fun as my CP33 is, the 22/45 is my first choice. It's also what I've used to introduce a number of people to not only the fun of a 22 pistol, but the enjoyment of a rimfire with a silencer. I am though looking to add a FN 502 as soon as I can find one in stock at reasonable price.

The Rugers are only difficult for people who can't or won't learn the one simple detail about re-assembling them. It's not that hard.
The mainspring is a terrible design, took them until the mk4 to figure it out how the upper should come off.

No worries for me though, the m&p solved it.

Still in the hunt. The goal is to try to track down the Ruger and Browning and put hands on them before taking the plunge. We don’t have any at work, but do have the SR22 which is a pretty neat plinker.

If you have an extra 1911 laying around, the Marvel .22 conversion is a target quality ready solution. You can get one suppressor ready.

Just purchased a Ruger Mark IV upper.
Plan on building a Kraken lower for it.
Unfortunately did not realize that there are parts that you need from the stock lower to build it.
Plan on getting an integral for it in the future.

@mckeand13 where did you get that plate to mount the red dot directly to the pistol? That's sweet!

Browning Medalist for the win!
Has a dry fire function.

Nah, seriously, if you’re using it more low cost training then get something with the shape and features of you daily carry…it’s difficult to find a bad .22 from the major brands.
I like Buckmarks but also like the Ruger 22/45.
Pardinis and other esoterica are on a whole different planet.View attachment 7734459
2D4D2509-A1B2-4AF9-95BF-A839D04DA003.jpeg

Pardini is a fun gun to shoot and the accuracy is outstanding. I love shooting bullseye with it and the trigger is probably the best trigger offered in a pistol.

You can get some decent deals on mark 3 since everyone wants a mark 4.

I keep forgetting and have to pull up videos since I'm stupid, but they get cleaned just fine.

Reactions: Yondering
I sold my ruger Mk3 after getting a browning buckmark. I would go Browning every time. The action is open on either side so it doesn't trap all the dirt and crap. Also it's extremely accurate.

Although if your budget allows I really do like my S&W 41.

Just throwing it out there... I have a S&W M&P 22 Compact ... I was one of the first in the USA to get one, purely by luck, at a Gun Show from some small Mom & Pop & Children FFL. They weren't released for another couple weeks but somehow this family shop got one from the distributors early and I bought it on the spot.

It's been nothing but pretty awesome to perfect. The quick long story is that the M&P 22 had been made by Umarex, and they disestablished their relationship, but they could not just make an American copy because I guess Umarex "owned the rights" ... so they scaled it back something to like 87.5% (I am sure I have the number wrong but it's close, it was something like 13% smaller) and made it in the USA. Again *awesome* little gun, not very expensive, even comes in FDE and with a threaded barrel. Actually the one I have also has a threaded barrel, but internally threaded, whereas they make black and a FDE versions with the exterior adapter etc.

Just my two cents worth here.

Mom and pop gun stores usualy get two new release guns each from distributors. That's shortly after the gun magazines get through with publishing thier articles.

The next release is sometimes as long as a year after gauging the market and full production runs.

It's fun to know delivery day and buy one before it's unpacked.

Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
I just passed 9300 rounds through my Glock44. Only pulled the slide assembly off once and only then just to look. Silly little thing has performed near flawless. Some magazine or reviewer said pre-release that they had over 10k through it without cleaning and I took that as a personal challenge. Zero maintenance since purchase.

@mckeand13 where did you get that plate to mount the red dot directly to the pistol? That's sweet!
I machined it. Nothing was available to keep the optic really low as I wanted.

The available solutions at the time were to mount a picatinny rail on the pistol and then use a clamp on the red dot. That put the optic a lot higher than what I made.

I shared my design with Tandemkross even though they wouldn’t engage in an NDA or contract. No surprise you can purchase yours from them now if you wish. Theirs is kind of stupid though as it’s a “one size fits all” and has about 80 holes in it you’ll never use and is larger than necessary to accommodate those extra optics.

Last edited: