• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

223 AI and OAL Gauge

catronro

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2011
Phoenix AZ
I have a hornady OAL Gauge with the 223 modified bullet. I just got a 223 AI and need to measure the OAL. My question is, will the regular 223 modified bullet work or do I need to make my own 223 AI modified bullet from fire formed 223AI brass?

If i need to make a modified bullet from 223AI brass, what is the best way to go about it.

Re: 223 AI and OAL Gauge

I found myself in the same position. I asked my smith what he thought and he suggested making one from a fired casing. He said since the .223 rem case shoulder is so snug into the ackley chamber it wouldn't be an accurate reading. He's going to make me one when I send him a 1x fired brass. I think he charges $10 to make them.

Still, I have found accurate loads without it! If you really want one I can get you his address, I'm sure he'd make it and mail it to you.

Re: 223 AI and OAL Gauge

I make my own...have the right size drill and tap. Email me if you want to send me a case or two and I will make one up for you...no charge.

ZY