• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 bolt action ?

rebs

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
I am looking to buy a bolt action rifle in 223 for target shooting out to about 300 yds. I plan on scoping it and want a good accurate rifle. What would you guys recommend ? Is it possible to stay around the 500.00 to 800.00 price range ?

1. Welcome
2. Google Search "Snipershide recommend .223 bolt"
- lots of info out there already.

Savage LRP is probably the best out of the box ready to go rifle for the price at about $900
Remington Varments are decent
Tikka T3s a nice and light
Howa are coming on

You don't need heavy bullets and a fast twist for 300yds, but a 1:9 or 1:8 twist is what I prefer for variety.

do you have a preferred 75 gr amax load you would like to share, brass, powder, oal, i'm sure mine will shoot
but having a little trouble finding the sweet spot. thanks

Had 2 Remington 700's chambered in .223 Rem...SPS Tactical and 5R Tactical Cerakote. Still have the 5R and it is incredibly accurate. I used the action in the SPS to build a .22-250 Rem with Brux 1-8" twist MTU, new bolt from Pacific Tool and Gauge, McM A5 Brown, Black, Sand swirl marble in color, Surgeon DBM, and Jewel trigger. Anyway, both .223 Rem's I've owned we're very accurate. I normally put 200 rounds through the 5R before cleaning. A few patches of Bore Tech Eliminator and it is clean. Copper fouling is nil.

I would go with the 5R Tactical Cerakote for your .223 bolt. I am impressed with the little rifle each time I take it out. I've got 3 Surgeon Scalpels, a McMillan Tac 300, an AI AW .308, a Steyr SSG08 .300 win mag, and a couple of customs which are all ridiculously accurate. My little 5R .223 is just as accurate as anything I own.

The Savage LRP is not available in 223.

I'd recommend a Savage 11 Hog Hunter, 12FV, or the 11VT package gun from Dick's Sporting Goods. All available for less than $600 with Accutrigger, but you'll DEFINITELY want to replace the stock of the Hog Hunter.

A 700 Tactical or would work great too, and be in your price range.

Cabela's has tikka t3 varminters on closeout for $589. I've built on several of them, and you really can't find more gun for the money.

I'd go for the Savage 12 VLP DBM because it comes with the accutrigger and a 1:7 fluted barrel.

I had a remy 700 in 223, burned the barrel and now it is a 204 ruger, when that barrel is done, it'll be a 223 again and I'll build another 204.

My Savage 12 FCV in .223 (1/9") shoots lights out with Hornady 75gr HPBT factory ammo. Better than 1/2 MOA if I don't mess it up. Set it up with Talley one piece base/rings and a cheap Bushnell 10X. Comes with the AccuTrigger, AccuStock, and the factory DBM. Only downside to this action is the bottom bolt release, which is a little more work when switching stocks and DBM than the regular side bolt release. Just put mine in a bedded HS Precision varmint stock I picked up used, but haven't gotten a chance to test it yet. The HS feels better than the AccuStock and only required a tiny bit of dremel work to fit the bottom metal.

$650 from Buds - Savage 18902 12FCV 223 $648.00 SHIPS FREE

The Tikka also sounds like a good deal!

Savage 10 FP is the most accurate rifle I ever out of of the box. Nothing else is even close, one holer after 200 rounds, no upgrades until recently (after 5k rounds), I put a new sharp shooter supply enhanced extractor ejector kit on it to fling the spent shells better. The accutriggeris a great trigger, not like jewel great but it will hold you over.

I bought my tikka t3 varmint for around 650 out the door. I have nailed ground hogs (some running) out to 450yds easy bone stock. I would take the tikka over a rem any day ( for out of the factory rifle).

I've had several 223s and most shoot well. You should have no problem finding one that will get you to 300 yards with light or heavy bullets.

I got a Marlin X7VH from Buds in February for about $330 delivered. It has a long, heavy barrel with 9" twist but, surprisingly to me, loves both 75g AMAXs and 77g SMKs. With the standard plastic stock, non-floated barrel and a Harris bipod it will shoot quality bullets from 52 to 77 grains well under 1MOA at 200 yards with the right loads if I'm doing my job, with some groups under 0.5 MOA. (For example, in a recent 200 yard test of the 77 SMK with different BLC2 powder charges I shot 11 3-shot groups - 9 of 'em were between 0.41 and 0.72 MOA, with two that I think were just flukes at 0.27 and 0.14 MOA. All rounds were assembled to the "magazine" length of 2.260, so who knows what seating closer to the lands or another powder might have done - I'm out of those bullets, so won't be able to find out.) That's with a hot barrel - while warming up from cold, the first 5-10 shots are usually closer to 1MOA.

With the bipod, a Nikon 6-18 Buckmasters scope, 20 minute scope base and a strap-on padded cheekpiece I have under $800 in the complete package. I am a VERY satisfied shooter at the moment.

I had a chance to fire a half dozen rounds through one of these Mossberg's a couple of months ago but not out far. I was told it's real good out to 300 meters and beyond. I would be interested in others that may have thoughts on the MVP series. The TR version commands additional money compared to the others.

Mossberg & Sons | 27794