• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 bolt gun accuracy expectations

Okay fellas, some excellent info, but you're getting me just a little overwhelmed here. I've just showed up to the dragstrip with Mom's sedan, let's keep it fairly simple and stick to the basics for now. I'm not ready for nitrous, a blower or slicks just yet. :cool:
Ok, major things to know:
  1. Standard SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufacturers Institute, sets standards for cartridge dimensions, pressure, etc.) length for the .223 Remington cartridge and its dimensionally identical but higher-pressure 5.56x45 NATO sibling allows it to fit in AR magazines.
    - This forces a cartridge overall length (COAL) so short as to push heavy-for-caliber bullets (over 70ish grains) deep into the case and limit powder capacity.
    - Note that AR chambers are not the limiting factor in COAL - it's the magazine.
  2. Most bolt-action .223 magazines allow a much longer COAL, which in turn allows VERY heavy-for-caliber buillets (80-90 grains) to be seated out far enough to permit slow-burning powder charges sufficient to drive heavy bullets at significantly higher velocity than is possible with mag-length seating.
    - So in this instance, chamber throat length often is the limiting COAL factor.
    - AR-length (standard SAAMI spec) rounds work just fine in bolt guns - such rounds will just be a bit slower than is possible with rounds optimized for the bolt gun's chamber but which exceed SAAMI length.
  3. Note that these long rounds will fit just fine in an AR chamber if single-loaded, and may well be safe to fire as long as they aren't loaded to pressures excessive in a gas gun.
  4. Some .223 bolt guns, especially older ones, may be have barrels with twist rates too slow (1:12, 1:10) for bullets over 62-69 grains or so.
    - A twist rate of 1:8 is sufficient for most bullets up to 75-80 grains
    - A 1:7 rate has become almost the norm for precision bolt guns, and should stabilize most bullets up to ~90 grains
    - Conversely, a 1:7 twist can cause some lighter (50-55 grain) bullets to literally explode from centrifugal force if driven very fast
  5. Bullets designed for standard SAAMI lengths like the 69-77gr Sierra Match King (SMK) stabilize with slower twists than the super-long ones like Bergers
Hope this helps.

Ok, major things to know:
  1. Standard SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufacturers Institute, sets standards for cartridge dimensions, pressure, etc.) length for the .223 Remington cartridge and its dimensionally identical but higher-pressure 5.56x45 NATO sibling allows it to fit in AR magazines.
    - This forces a cartridge overall length (COAL) so short as to push heavy-for-caliber bullets (over 70ish grains) deep into the case and limit powder capacity.
    - Note that AR chambers are not the limiting factor in COAL - it's the magazine.
  2. Most bolt-action .223 magazines allow a much longer COAL, which in turn allows VERY heavy-for-caliber buillets (80-90 grains) to be seated out far enough to permit slow-burning powder charges sufficient to drive heavy bullets at significantly higher velocity than is possible with mag-length seating.
    - So in this instance, chamber throat length often is the limiting COAL factor.
    - AR-length (standard SAAMI spec) rounds work just fine in bolt guns - such rounds will just be a bit slower than is possible with rounds optimized for the bolt gun's chamber but which exceed SAAMI length.
  3. Note that these long rounds will fit just fine in an AR chamber if single-loaded, and may well be safe to fire as long as they aren't loaded to pressures excessive in a gas gun.
  4. Some .223 bolt guns, especially older ones, may be have barrels with twist rates too slow (1:12, 1:10) for bullets over 62-69 grains or so.
    - A twist rate of 1:8 is sufficient for most bullets up to 75-80 grains
    - A 1:7 rate has become almost the norm for precision bolt guns, and should stabilize most bullets up to ~90 grains
    - Conversely, a 1:7 twist can cause some lighter (50-55 grain) bullets to literally explode from centrifugal force if driven very fast
  5. Bullets designed for standard SAAMI lengths like the 69-77gr Sierra Match King (SMK) stabilize with slower twists than the super-long ones like Bergers
Hope this helps.
That was very well written and easy for me to understand. I really appreciate the simplistic breakdown. Thank you!

Not to derail the thread too much, but I've noticed it mentioned that the Tikka factory barrels are "slower". We're just talking slower because the twist rate is 1:8 and not 1:7, right? So just a slower twist rate, not necessarily something to do with the internals versus aftermarket barrels in the same twist rate?

Not to derail the thread too much, but I've noticed it mentioned that the Tikka factory barrels are "slower". We're just talking slower because the twist rate is 1:8 and not 1:7, right? So just a slower twist rate, not necessarily something to do with the internals versus aftermarket barrels in the same twist rate?
No, it's not so simplistic as twist rate. I'm not familiar enough with this subject to speak authoritatively; you might want to search SH and the wider web for more info, with the usual caveats about believing what you read there.

With that said, Tikka barrels are hammer-forged while many of the custom barrels are cut-rifled, and at least some calibers of Tikka barrels are said to have a longer freebore which contributes to "slow." My Tikka Varmint shot the 77gr SMK Defender factory round at 2745fps; same round in my Defiance Deviant-based custom was 2815fps - but the custom barrel is 3 inches longer (both 1:8 twist).

Don't let that scare you off Tikka. Barrels are replaceable anyway.

Zero reason to shoot a .223 unsuppressed
The only rifle I don’t shoot suppressed is a 6.5 creed with rifle length gas.

If I had to use factory ammo and couldn’t tailor a load to my rifle I’d lose the can for a tuner brake in a heart beat. That’s a good reason to me.

YMMV.

I have a Tikka T3X Varmint 223. It is 1-8 twist and 23.7 inches long. I put in a KRG Bravo chassis with MDT polymer AICS type mags. Had local PRS smith thread 5/8x24 plus throat the “short” chamber such that I can load 75/80 ELDMs and 80 SMKs. It is a nice package; however, this specific rifle does not like the 75/80s - it prefers 53 to 77s. I can engage PRS targets to 1000 however extremely hard to see impacts past 800 (that is a 223 thing not a Tikka issue). I have a semi-custom Savage bolt with 26 inch 223 Wylde 1-7 that I tend to shoot more with 80 SMKs over TAC For distance. My specific Tikka Varmint 223 excels to 800 but not with 75/80.

Make sure your Tikka is 1-8, not 1-12, they come in both.

I used to want a .223 bolt gun, until I got an off-the-rack DPMS Mk12 with a factory-installed JP trigger and did nothing but put a Mk4 MR/T 3.5-10 on it and AAC SPR/M4 can on it and it's as accurate as I can shoot it. Sub .5 MOA for sure. My buddy Dave told me about DMPS for years and I finally tried it and don't regret it.

Attachments

• IMAG0686.jpg
    IMAG0686.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 65
223 is my absolute favorite caliber to shoot. It's super versatile, inexpensive, and easy to load for. While 600 yards is probably the optimal distance, with a good bullet and some speed behind it, you can reach 1K.

Factory 69 or 77 grain loads might be a bit lighter, but you can still get out there with them, especially with the longer length of a Tikka Varmint barrel to give you some velocity.

I'm looking at adding a Tikka .223 Varmint at some point down the road, when funds and availability align. I currently have a Noveske 5.56 18" AR that's shooting pretty damn good (IMO) with Norma Match .223 77gr SMK, averaging 0.6 moa at 100 yards. I don't currently reload, but what kind of accuracy (group size) expectations should an average shooter have from a production bolt gun like the Tikka (or around that price range) with a factory barrel using factory ammo that it likes? Better than what I'm capable of with my current "precision" AR?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 7674916

View attachment 7674917View attachment 7674918
812D8631-FB81-4ED0-ABE2-23CFAB953520.jpeg
This is a group I shot at 500 yds using PMC XTac 77gr OTM. Factory ammo suites me in 223. Any of the 77gr OTM family should do as well, especially if you can get Black Hills ammo.

You can get started reloading with a Lee turret press and Lee dies for cheap. That plus an RCBS charge master and you can load 1/2 MOA ammo for about 1/2 price of factory ammo.
One doesn't need a press to load accurate rifle ammo for a bolt gun. My first foray into loading rifle ammo was in 1980 using a Lee Loader for my .308 Remington M788. Speer 130gr HPs, CCI primers and IMR3031 produced sub-moa groups.

Try some of the IMI 77gr ammo from Midway. I have a 12" plate at 777yds. it will shoot 1/2 min in my bolt gun. Rem 700 trued action. Krieger 1-7.7 twist. XLR Element chassis.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
One doesn't need a press to load accurate rifle ammo for a bolt gun. My first foray into loading rifle ammo was in 1980 using a Lee Loader for my .308 Remington M788. Speer 130gr HPs, CCI primers and IMR3031 produced sub-moa groups.
A press isn't needed but it sure makes life a lot easier.

Reactions: JH1961
I’ll also mention the tikka, or custom if you so choose. The below pic is a 400 yard group in 4” steel, from a factory tikka lite barrel chopped and threaded by lri (lri also knocked the cerakote out of the park). This rifle is accurate as all get out with 75/77 grain bullets. Everyone should have a suppressed 223 bolt gun.

They are cheap to shoot if you reload.
They are easy to shoot.
Comfortable to shoot.
And 77tmk and 75 eldm kill shit really really well. I don’t even take the bigger rifles out for deer season anymore.

B292349B-9B02-4370-949B-1FD2D66BEBF3.jpeg

Circling back around to this discussion. Still have some interest in a .223 bolt gun for a slower paced and non-AR precision shooting rifle setup. Working a bolt gun is fun, plain and simple. And more than likely to learn reloading with at the same time. I can't find crap for a Tikka anywhere. Plenty of Savage, Ruger American, etc. The only thing I'm seeing that sparks my interest is the Howa mini action in the MDT Oryx chassis. I really like my Howa 1500 .308 in my Bravo chassis. Never held or seen an Oryx in person.

Anything better out there currently than this setup for $883 ?
https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/howa-horm70223-oryx-mini-chassis-20-grn-223

Circling back around to this discussion. Still have some interest in a .223 bolt gun for a slower paced and non-AR precision shooting rifle setup. Working a bolt gun is fun, plain and simple. And more than likely to learn reloading with at the same time. I can't find crap for a Tikka anywhere. Plenty of Savage, Ruger American, etc. The only thing I'm seeing that sparks my interest is the Howa mini action in the MDT Oryx chassis. I really like my Howa 1500 .308 in my Bravo chassis. Never held or seen an Oryx in person.

I bought a Mossberg MVP LR 'Thunder Ranch' edition in 5.56 NATO last Fall, NIB, for around $800. It has a medium heavy fluted barrel with a '1-7' twist. It's intended for 150-400yd Alabama deer hunting. I mounted a VISM 2.5-10x 30mm tubed IR scope in UTG HD mounts. Cheap? Definitely. Time will tell if it's accurate.

Last edited:

I've been waiting on a barrel, but plan to switch my Origin bolt gun rig over to 223 as soon as I can.

I got to shoot with one of the top ranked Tactical Division PRS pros in the country and he smoked everyone in our squad and over 75% of everyone else in the field with his 223, even though most of the rest of us were all shooting hot shit 6mm variants like Dasher/6GT/6BR/6CM/etc.

Yeah, it was mostly just because he was better than us, but the cartridge didn't hurt him much at all inside 800 yards.

If you like the Bravo, get another Bravo, you can always add stuff to a Bravo to make it as good as anything else, the Oryx kinda stinks in comparison (JMHO).

Tikka is the way I'd go. What's your plan for the rifle hunting, range toy, or competition. I bought a used tikka t3x varmint for about $650 shipped on here a few years ago. Patience is a virtue. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

Tikka is the way I'd go. What's your plan for the rifle hunting, range toy, or competition. I bought a used tikka t3x varmint for about $650 shipped on here a few years ago. Patience is a virtue. Couldn't be more pleased with it.
Range toy, main range I shoot at goes out to 300 yards, alternative option to my 18" Noveske 5.56 rifle.

If it's the one listed for $2200 with a bunch of different barrel options, that's way out of my budget and comfort zone as well. I'd be in way over my head with a custom built rifle.
That 223 barrel is the best I’ve ever had. 88’s at 2850, hard to beat. probably a 1/3 of my bolt gun trigger pulls in the last 18 months

Tikka Super Varmint will get you into the fray.
Good glass and mounts will seal the deal with reloading to suit your rifle.
The Rabbit Hole beckons.........

Budget is around $1000 for the rifle. A custom build is out of the question. I don't want to invest $2-$3k in just the rifle. And I lack the knowledge of doing a custom build anyways. There are WAY too many options out there and it would take me 2 years of research to even come close to making a decision. I'd rather buy something factory made, from a reputable brand and most likely learn to reload with it. I don't shoot competition, this is just for my own enjoyment for my Mondays at the range. If I can shoot under 1 moa fairly consistently out to 300 yards, I'd probably be content with that.

I've just about given up looking for a factory Tikka 223 varmint rifle. Unobtanium.

I've been waiting forever for a 16" tac a1 and a t1x. Tikka supply chain is jammed hard.

Budget is around $1000 for the rifle. A custom build is out of the question. I don't want to invest $2-$3k in just the rifle. And I lack the knowledge of doing a custom build anyways. There are WAY too many options out there and it would take me 2 years of research to even come close to making a decision. I'd rather buy something factory made, from a reputable brand and most likely learn to reload with it. I don't shoot competition, this is just for my own enjoyment for my Mondays at the range. If I can shoot under 1 moa fairly consistently out to 300 yards, I'd probably be content with that.
Here is some of my experience with factory 223 rifles-

Ruger American Ranch- Early model, shot terrible even with match ammo. Action is nice, trigger is okay, stock is tupperware garbage. A lot of people don't like the mags. I wouldn't go with an AR mag as it limits you to short bullets. They claim they are 5.56 compatible.

Tikka Sporter- Pricey rifle but it will shoot 1/2 MOA or better out of the box with my reloads. Most Tikka's that I have experience with shoot really well. Mags only allow for 2.260 length ammo. If you want to shoot the long heavy bullets, you need to modify the mags, single load, or upgrade to to chassis that takes AICS mags. I got lucky and found a guy that was getting rid of his 3 that had been modified. Never tried 5.56 loads.

Remington 783- I paid $250 after rebate. The first one shot terrible but the replacement Remington sent wlll hover around 0.6 MOA with my reloads. Action is smooth and I like the trigger, magazine is well made, stock is probably the best of all the budget rifles. They make them with 16 and 22" barrels. It will run 5.56 ammo without any issues. A solid rifle for the price.

Howa Mini Action with 1:8 Heavy barrel- fun little gun. Shoots 3/4 MOA. If you want something for target use, this wouldn't be my first choice. It does not like warm loads so definitely no 5.56.

Remington 700 LTR- I wish this had a better magazine and a 1:8 twist but I love the way it shoots and handles with the 20" barrel. Nice old school rifle.

Mossberg Predator- This gun shot fantastic with 68/69 match bullets, 1/2 MOA or better. Action was sloppy and the plastic trigger guard cracked. Laminated stock was really nice. It didn't fees reliably from the original or any other AR mag I put in it.

Remington 700 16.5" SPS Tactical- I picked this up cheap and was going to build it into something but may just keep it to way it is. I put a 1-6X scope on it and shoot steel out to 600. The internal Remington 700 magazine doesn't work that well with 223. Upgraded DBM and a good magazine would make this a sweet setup.

Remington 700 Remage setup with a 22" 1:7 stainless barrel- I bought the action and had the barrel headspaced using the barrel nut system, then put it in a Magpul hunter stock. The magazine system worked great and there is a lot of aftermarket support for the AICS mags, but I could never get the best accuracy from the stock. There is just too much plastic in my opinion. I ended up bedding it in a Boyd's and it shoots better. It gets fed 75 and 80 ELD.

Savage .223, first 10 shots at 100 yards after zeroing the scope. F class take off barrel I bought for $125 with 50 pieces of lapua brass. :)
It's not as smooth as a Tikka, I have three of them in other calibers. I was going to shoot a 5 shot group then
figured I'd shoot the rest of the mag and see what happened. I've sold my other savages but I'm keeping this one.

223_Target.JPG

If you don't mind a single shot, you might want to check out an older version of the Savage LRPV. You can get a 1:7 twist 26 inch stainless barrel. HS Precision stock. Target trigger adjustable to 6oz. The gun with optics weighs 14.5 pounds. For around a $1,000. This is the best group at 400 yards I've been able to shoot. At a 100 it shoots bug holes. You will have to reload to take advantage of the 1:7 twist.

Attachments

• IMG_0118 400 yard .223.jpg
    IMG_0118 400 yard .223.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Chickentoast
I see a lot of mention of the magazine limiting OAL of the rounds. Can't you just leave the mag in and single load one round at a time? I've really only done this with my CZ 457 using a single shot adapter. Pretty sure I've done that with a friend's bolt gun as well, but can't remember if he had an internal magazine or detachable. I know that seems like a newb question.

I see a lot of mention of the magazine limiting OAL of the rounds. Can't you just leave the mag in and single load one round at a time? I've really only done this with my CZ 457 using a single shot adapter. Pretty sure I've done that with a friend's bolt gun as well, but can't remember if he had an internal magazine or detachable. I know that seems like a newb question.
at the range shooting groups sure. at a PRS match no

I've just about given up looking for a factory Tikka 223 varmint rifle. Unobtanium.
I’m in the same boat. Been looking for a t3x varmint all year. Probably going to just have a barreled action put together buy keystone accuracy with a bighorn action, drop it in a bravo and go for it.

Wow, it's so tall you had to put a hole in the ceiling... :)

I load Hornady 75gr BTHPs at AR mag length for my 223 bolt gun. This load shoots 2950 in a 26" 1:8" Krieger and 2790 in a 20" gasser. Both Wylde chambers. This load has shot well out of everything. MK262 shoots 2920 in the same bolt gun.

I did load some 75 ELDMs long but quit because it just didn't shoot as well as the universal 75gr BTHP load. I think there's still a lot of utility in factory ammo, .223 bolt guns. If I want small batch, pricey bullet, performance I'll shoot a 6BR.

This is my factory.

View attachment 7675410

• Haha
I ended up with buying a Howa mini action .223. I'll make the maiden voyage tomorrow and see how it goes. It's a 1:8 twist 20" threaded barrel in the factory HTI stock with a cheapy Nikko Sterling scope. It's a start at least into a non-AR .223 bolt gun and opens the door to reloading for me. I had to start somewhere and this is what fits my budget at the moment.

Happy with my purchase. I think it did well considering I'm only $695 invested at this point.

20 round break in per Howa's procedure. No, I don't normally do a special break in procedure, but did it for the hell of it.

20211103_204130.jpg

Wolf Gold showed some promise, but I was still getting myself acquainted with the rifle at that point. I'll revisit again for a better attempt.

20211103_204029.jpg

I left the suppressor on and tested the other brands I had. Australian Outback 69gr did well, but Norma 77gr stole the show.

20211103_203908.jpg

I’m in the same boat. Been looking for a t3x varmint all year. Probably going to just have a barreled action put together buy keystone accuracy with a bighorn action, drop it in a bravo and go for it.
Resurrecting a slightly older thread...

I have been looking for a similar .223 rifle for some time; except in a left hand action. My number 1 choice was a Tikka CTR with the 24 inch, 1 in 8 barrel. EuroOptic has had them on order since April with no ETA. I even called Beretta and got no where. I am also giving up and looking at doing a custom build.

Did you ever pull the trigger on the Bighorn barreled action from Keystone?

Happy with my purchase. I think it did well considering I'm only $695 invested at this point.

20 round break in per Howa's procedure. No, I don't normally do a special break in procedure, but did it for the hell of it.

View attachment 7734193

Wolf Gold showed some promise, but I was still getting myself acquainted with the rifle at that point. I'll revisit again for a better attempt.

View attachment 7734194

I left the suppressor on and tested the other brands I had. Australian Outback 69gr did well, but Norma 77gr stole the show.

View attachment 7734197
The Berger OTM 77 shoots almost as good as hand loads in mine. Of course, this is the very ammo that blew up @Molon , ar15 so........

Shoots redicously well in my bolt gun though. When he he took the rest of his box apart he found some pretty significant powder charge variations. You can see the thread on here about it. Stuff shoots unbelievable in my gun though. Probably the bullet more so than anything else but it is factory ammo

I have been looking for a similar .223 rifle for some time; except in a left hand action. My number 1 choice was a Tikka CTR with the 24 inch, 1 in 8 barrel. EuroOptic has had them on order since April with no ETA. I even called Beretta and got no where. I am also giving up and looking at doing a custom build.

Think I saw your other thread but unsure if I commented - I have a Savage EVO in Left Hand. Came in 20" and shot ~0.5 moa stock out to ~500. Just replaced with a 26" Shilen VLD chamber 7.5 twist and put 80 eld-m's into 0.62, 0.78, 0.81, 0.84" @ 300 yds yesterday. Also got the SAV-2 trigger for it and got rid of the accutrigger blade - set to break about 6oz. Point is, you may not really want a Savage, but they do work, can generally be found highly discounted, and can be made a lot better if you like to tinker. Check out their straight pull maybe?

Think I saw your other thread but unsure if I commented - I have a Savage EVO in Left Hand. Came in 20" and shot ~0.5 moa stock out to ~500. Just replaced with a 26" Shilen VLD chamber 7.5 twist and put 80 eld-m's into 0.62, 0.78, 0.81, 0.84" @ 300 yds yesterday. Also got the SAV-2 trigger for it and got rid of the accutrigger blade - set to break about 6oz. Point is, you may not really want a Savage, but they do work, can generally be found highly discounted, and can be made a lot better if you like to tinker. Check out their straight pull maybe?
Point taken. I know Savages shoot and I have seen many on the F-Class range. I did look around and the only left hand Savage in .223 I could find in stock was the Axis. I didn't see the EVO anywhere and it is no longer on their website. There is an 110 Elite Precision, but it lists for $1,999.00 and there are many other options at this price point.

I'm beginning to agree with some of the reloading guys that you really need to get in to that to maximize the accuracy. I'm relatively new to the precision game, coming over to the Hide to learn shooting techniques... or so I thought.

I have done up a couple of my rifles to be more accurate than they were, but I still shoot factory ammo. I have never gotten into reloading. One rifle that I picked up earlier this year was a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 that I put into a KRG Bravo with a Rifle Basix trigger. Limited by the factory 1/9 barrel, and factory ammo, it really wasn't all that much better than my 18" Larue Tactical Stealth 2.0, and no where close to my Remington 700 in .243 that just LOVES Winchester 95 gr Deer Season XTP. I put that in the KRG and am selling the .223.

It's too late to get into handloading with supplies in such short supply. As much as I'd love to get into handloading, I'll probably always shoot factory ammo, although I do have a Lee Loader for my .303 British.

Point taken. I know Savages shoot and I have seen many on the F-Class range. I did look around and the only left hand Savage in .223 I could find in stock was the Axis. I didn't see the EVO anywhere and it is no longer on their website. There is an 110 Elite Precision, but it lists for $1,999.00 and there are many other options at this price point.

Agree, if there are no deals, definitely look elsewhere. Maybe an ARC action and an x-caliber or pva prefit for Black Friday ~1200 bucks...

Reactions: evilsemaj
Agree, if there are no deals, definitely look elsewhere. Maybe an ARC action and an x-caliber or pva prefit for Black Friday ~1200 bucks...
Good tip. I was leaning towards the Bighorn Origin, but the current Black Friday pricing on the Nucleus is attractive.

On the barrels, do you know if X-Caliber does fixed shouldered pre-fits for the Nucleus? It only shows barrel nuts on their site. I e-mailed them on a shouldered pre-fit for the Origin but have not gotten a response.

Good tip. I was leaning towards the Bighorn Origin, but the current Black Friday pricing on the Nucleus is attractive.

On the barrels, do you know if X-Caliber does fixed shouldered pre-fits for the Nucleus? It only shows barrel nuts on their site. I e-mailed them on a shouldered pre-fit for the Origin but have not gotten a response.

Read bottom of page 4 for the specs on spacers to set up Bighorn shouldered barrels for ARCs.

Other barrel makers having sales too though... PVA and Preferred off the top of my head shoulder directly for ARC's without spacers - or just go Savage small shank and use a nut.

I'm on the list for one of these... December is the due date, fyi.

I'm beginning to agree with some of the reloading guys that you really need to get in to that to maximize the accuracy. I'm relatively new to the precision game, coming over to the Hide to learn shooting techniques... or so I thought.

I have done up a couple of my rifles to be more accurate than they were, but I still shoot factory ammo. I have never gotten into reloading. One rifle that I picked up earlier this year was a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 that I put into a KRG Bravo with a Rifle Basix trigger. Limited by the factory 1/9 barrel, and factory ammo, it really wasn't all that much better than my 18" Larue Tactical Stealth 2.0, and no where close to my Remington 700 in .243 that just LOVES Winchester 95 gr Deer Season XTP. I put that in the KRG and am selling the .223.

It's too late to get into handloading with supplies in such short supply. As much as I'd love to get into handloading, I'll probably always shoot factory ammo, although I do have a Lee Loader for my .303 British.
I finally took the dive into reloading last week and ordered everything I wanted. A new Dillon RL550C will arrive Friday. I bought Redding Premium dies, scored 2k CCI small rifle primers and have some Varget, H4895 and X-Terminator powder on the way too. Starting out with 77gr SMK's for .223 and 168gr ELDM's for .308 (still need large rifle primers for the .308).

Here is the Howa after replacing a few things (DIP bottom metal, EGW 20moa base, Arken SH4 6-24 scope & rings). It shot 3 brands of factory ammo better than with the original Nikko Sterling scope, but ADI 69gr and Norma 77gr increased group size slightly. I think part of the ADI and Norma were my eyes getting fatigued at the end of a chilly range session. Still pretty good for factory ammo.

20211122_151508.jpg

20211122_151345.jpg

20211122_145619.jpg

Reactions: Daddyusmaximus