• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report .223 Hornady 55grn TAP question

jrf

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
PA, USA
Am 100% new to rifle shooting and long range shooting in general. Have spent many days at the range now and have met some great guys who have helped my shooting tremendously. I'm currently waiting on my White Oak upper and I have been trying out some different ammo on my 16" chrome lined S&W. I've only been shooting out to 100 and 200 yards at this point and wasn't having a lot of luck but felt I should be able to get down to at least 1.5" groups at 100. So that was my goal.

I did purchase a lot of different brands/types of ammo also. While at the range an old (68 years old) marine and I got to talking and he told me to not even shoot the 75 and 77grn stuff that I had and looked through my assortment. He picked out the Hornady TAP 55grn URBAN load and said shoot this.

Go all setup and I shot a .5" group! Needless to say I was not only impressed with the fact I shot my first .5" group but also that this gun was even capable of that. We walked down took some measurements and adjusted the scope. Then I shot a 1" group mostly because I pulled the last round. The others were easily also in a .5" group. Clearly I found a round that my barrel liked!

I've been trying to do research on this load with no luck and was wondering if anyone could help. Is this just the Hornady vmax 55grn bullet? If so would/should other rounds with that same bullet and similar velocity loadings give me similar results? It's really hard to find the TAP URBAN stuff and if I could find something like maybe Hornady's regular vmax line that's more accessible that would be great.

Also at some point I'd like to reload for the .223. I've reloaded for pistols for a long time and my Dillon 550 should easily be up to the job. Is there any way to find out what exactly this TAP URBAN load is?

Thanks for any help!

Re: .223 Hornady 55grn TAP question

Given what your rifle seems to like, you might want to try a box of the Hornady 55 gr SP. I had a couple Sig 556s that really performed well with it. It runs around $0.54 per round through Cabelas as compared to $1.25 per round for the 55 gr TAP. If your rifle does well with it, it can be a very economical alternative to TAP for training/plinking.

Re: .223 Hornady 55grn TAP question

Thank you!

Wasn't sure if comparing the BC and speeds the way to go in figuring it out. I did order a box of vmax since that is what seem to match it from Hornady's website. I'll also check out the SP.