• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes .223 scope opinions under $1000

Bob Shaver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2006
Illinois
After avoiding Savage rifles for my entire life, I finally broke down and 10FCP-K in .223.

I plan on using this rifle for everything from paper punching to coyote ventilating. Normally I slap Leupold glass on everything I own but given the internet drama that seems to following Leupold I'm not sure if I want to stay on that path any more.

So I'm open to suggestions. What would you slap on a $750 box stock rifle? I've thought about Burris' Fullfield II Tactical but don't know any one using their scopes.

Re: .223 scope opinions under $1000

Falcon Menace FFP with mil/mil adjustments no question. Either the 4-14 or the 5-25, your choice.

I was going to say the same thing on the 4-14x44. I had one on my remington .223 and it worked great. I do mainly paper punching and I never had one problem. Price is generally around $400.00. Throw a good set of rings at $130.00 or so and the rest of that 1k budget can be used elsewhere. The only thing about them is the power ring on mine as well as the two others I bought for other rifles were a little tough to adjust.

I thought I just read a review somewhere on here by a non partial member though about the 5-25x56 model. It was a pre production model though. I will try and find it for you if you cant.

Edit: actually it was just a few threads down.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1205329&gonew=1#UNREAD

I have 5 prairie dog rifles with a couple Leupys, a Burris, a Nikon, Monarch, etc.

My favorite, and it's on a .223 is the Zeiss Conquest. this one is a 4.5-14, and it feels the best when I use it. This is just my subjective result, but bear in mind I do not use binoculars. I shoot from an Outers device and look through the scope all day.

I am presently trying to find the best price on a bigger Zeiss Conquest for a 22-250 foray into the +500 twilight zone.

HM

I currently have a Super sniper 10x sidefocus on my 10 fcp-k. It performs fine.

What criteria are you looking for? theres too many options under $1K to have such a generalized input...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Shavewa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After avoiding Savage rifles for my entire life, I finally broke down and 10FCP-K in .223.

I plan on using this rifle for everything from paper punching to coyote ventilating. Normally I slap Leupold glass on everything I own but given the internet drama that seems to following Leupold I'm not sure if I want to stay on that path any more.

So I'm open to suggestions. What would you slap on a $750 box stock rifle? I've thought about Burris' Fullfield II Tactical but don't know any one using their scopes. </div></div>

Leupold has bean berry berry goo to me.

Some say their quality has dropped lately. I havent experienced it with any of mine. The most recent of which, I bought about 10 months ago(now Mr. Seekins owns it, might check with him to see how it is working for him). was perfect for me. I think they are a great buy. Buy it from Scott or Mike or one of the other very highly regarded vendors and you have nothing to worry about either way. If Leupy failed to take care of you, (unlikely based on my dealings with them) Scott would.

Talk to Scott or some of the others who sell Leupold as well as other higher end brands and get their opinions. Lots of times, on the web, you get the whole bandwagon mentality, if you know what I mean. Just confirm everything beyond whatever is the bash-du-jour.

And I dont think I have a leupold even mounted on anything right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halfmile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 5 prairie dog rifles with a couple Leupys, a Burris, a Nikon, Monarch, etc.

My favorite, and it's on a .223 is the Zeiss Conquest. this one is a 4.5-14, and it feels the best when I use it. This is just my subjective result, but bear in mind I do not use binoculars. I shoot from an Outers device and look through the scope all day.

I am presently trying to find the best price on a bigger Zeiss Conquest for a 22-250 foray into the +500 twilight zone.

HM </div></div>

Dont know if it is still the case, but the last Zeiss I bought, came from Doug @ Cameralandny. It was a demo (new) and nobody was close on price. It was a 6.5-20x50 with target turrets, price was $500 IIRC, with lifetime warranty.

I was avoiding Savage rifles because as a factory rifle they always seemed bottom tier. Just my personal opinion, but their quality seemed suspect altho I'll admit I never shot any of their rifles.

Then they came out with the Accu-trigger that made all of the factory lawyer proof triggers feel like crap and now that they brought out their Accu-stock I feel like their guns offer a huge value for the money.

They were always a good value. Even before the trigger, which is good, but there are lots of good triggers. Savage is bottom tier if you place emphasis on the way a rifle feels. Think Sako TRG, those things ooze quality and shoot great.

The Savage has all the elegance of a hammer, but they typically shoot well. They are inexpensive. And shoot well. = Value

I have always liked Savage. They allowed me to have a rifle that shot high dollar when I didnt have the funds to afford high dollar.

Running a Super Sniper on mine. I've been alright with it, not as good as others, but it works fine for me. You can save the other $$ for ammo and when you are going to sell it, you tend to make back the same money you put into it.
Chad

Zeiss Conquest...your choice of magnification...4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50 with mildot or Rapid Z reticle. Give Doug at Cameraland a ring and get one of his demo units and save a couple hundred.

Cant beat the Super Sniper 10x42 Mil dot for the price. $300.00 durable and reliable. believe it comes in a fixed 10x, 16x, and 20x. Doesnt get any better for the price. JMHO.

I know I sound like a broken record but for an economical, variable, mildot equiped scope with great turrets and side focus, it is very very hard to beat Nikon's Buckmaster. Glass is as good or better than many I've seen for twice the price (which is $300 tops).

If your worried about Leupy, buy one that is several years old. Personally, I wouldn't worry a bit about a new MK4. JMO.

okie

I would go for the Horus Hawk 3-12 with the H425 reticle.

About $500 and with the 8 mils of hold, that is a solid 800yd and under rig with 69 to 80 grn SMK's

John

Decent scope, reasonable price, competitive value, try the Weaver V-24. Shouldn't disappoint.

Greg

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 for 510.00 dollars. I am in love with this scope.

Heard good thing about this scope also. I have the Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 on my 243 and I love it. Going to upgrade to the 6.5-20x50 for that stick. Can't wait to get it.