• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 with a 77gr SMK???

blboyd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2005
Conroe, TX
boydtechsolutions.com
I just built up another AR but instead of the typical 16" or even 20" barrel... I put on a 24" Fluted Bull Barrel. I took it out this last weekend and ran some cheap 55gr FMJ at 50yds doing a barrel break-in. It placed 5rds in the same hole so I'm a little excited to load some heavy match-grade ammo and stretch this bad-boy out.

I run Sierra 168gr MK's through my .308 so I thought about running a 77gr MK through this one. It is a 1 in 8" twist.

Has anybody done anything similar to this? Any tips and tricks? Any recipes to share?

I have a couple pounds of H322, VARGET, and a couple kegs of AA2230C sitting around.

Thanks,
Brandon

Re: .223 with a 77gr SMK???

I did a bit of work with this round through my 18" SPR barrel. I settled on Viht N135 for accuracy reasons. Varget was my second choice. All mine were loaded to mag length.

If you can find it, I'd recommend some Viht N540. Your longer barrel will really due justice to this very powerful powder. My 18" was too short for it to gain full velocities.

reloading_testing.jpg

You might try 77 grn Noslers, cheaper than SMKs and shoot just as well in my stick. I couldn't get 75 Hornadys to soot tight enough for my satisfaction.

I use 23.5 gr. of IMR-4064 in a Guat case and a Winny SR rpimer

77s & Benchmark make a nice combination. H322 is touch faster than BM, I'd start with 21.5 of H322 and work up.

Nothing wrong with Varget but touch slow for the 77 when seated to mag length, can't get quite enough in the case.

I've not used AA2230C so can not comment on that one.

Any idea of what chamber you have? 5.56 Match, Wylde, CLE Match, etc.?

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the quick replies. I should be ordering a box of SMK's by tomorrow so hopefully start loading soon.

Here's the rifle in question - I'm not sure what chamber it has. I built this rifle from the ground up.

Doublestar Lower
Doublestar LPK with my trigger job
Magpul MIAD
Doublestar Upper
YHM Rifle Length Freefloating rail
24" Wilson Fluted Bull Barrel
GG&G 20MOA Rail
Burris XTR 30mm Rings
Burris XTR 3-12x50mm
Harris 6-9 S Bipod

IMG_3468_resize.JPG

Full Size Pic