• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

22BR LEVERevolution Load Data

Brant07

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2014
Southern Michigan
Got a 22BR barrel due to arrive at the end of the month and due to powder shortages I'm looking to run LEVERevolution in this rig. I expect good velocity with 80gr ELD's provided I watch my pressure in the heat (not too hot here in Michigan) however I'm unsure of where to start with this combination. I'm thinking 27-28gr seems like a reasonable starting load but what do you guys think? Anyone got quickload?

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the rig as she currently sits in the safe...

Attachments

• Waiting for Barrel.jpg
    Waiting for Barrel.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 46
curious why you settled on that powder
Because it's in the correct burn range and there have been numerous reports of great velocity and accuracy in cartridges ranging from .223 Rem and 224 Valkyrie up to .308 Win and it is readily available. It's in the Hornady Reloading Manual for 224 Valkyrie with 88's.

Last edited:
After compiling a ton of 224 Valkyrie and 22-250 data it looks like my MAX load will be somewhere around 28.5gr so I was a little high on my original estimate. If I reduce this by 10% it puts me at 25.7 which is basically the book MAX for LEVERevolution in 224 Valkyrie according to the few trustworthy sources I could find. Does this seem right?

For the first little while I ran my .22BR (24" 1:7" 5R Bart), I just dumped 30 grains of Lever w/an 88 ELDM. I ran one over my old Chrony and it was just under 3,000fps. Good enough. Later, I chronied 3 of them at 2924, 2961, and 2904. So I wasn't in any particular node, obviously. Shortly after that, I switched to RL-16 (31.7 w/88's for right on 3000, and 30.3 w/95 Sierras for 2850), I did do a couple half-assed ladders for much better consistency. Itching to try the 95's at the next steel match.
Recently, I broke the Lever back out with some old 75 A-Maxes, 32 grains gave 3,245. I worked up a ladder from 30.8 to 32.2. I'll get to run the ladder Friday and I'll post results. That'll be my coyote load.
Lapua brass and CCI 450's, btw.
Everything I've read says Lever can be a bit temp sensitive, for whatever that's worth. It does meter VERY well and is VERY dense. As you pointed out, it's also available in your A.O., which is a pretty big factor these days.

Reactions: Brant07
For the first little while I ran my .22BR (24" 1:7" 5R Bart), I just dumped 30 grains of Lever w/an 88 ELDM. I ran one over my old Chrony and it was just under 3,000fps. Good enough. Later, I chronied 3 of them at 2924, 2961, and 2904. So I wasn't in any particular node, obviously. Shortly after that, I switched to RL-16 (31.7 w/88's for right on 3000, and 30.3 w/95 Sierras for 2850), I did do a couple half-assed ladders for much better consistency. Itching to try the 95's at the next steel match.
Recently, I broke the Lever back out with some old 75 A-Maxes, 32 grains gave 3,245. I worked up a ladder from 30.8 to 32.2. I'll get to run the ladder Friday and I'll post results. That'll be my coyote load.
Lapua brass and CCI 450's, btw.
Everything I've read says Lever can be a bit temp sensitive, for whatever that's worth. It does meter VERY well and is VERY dense. As you pointed out, it's also available in your A.O., which is a pretty big factor these days.

Do you think 26gr would be a safe place to start with the 80ELD? I'm sure it won't be over pressure but I also don't want to get a bullet stuck in my brand new custom barrel.

I don't think you'd be overpressure at 28.
CFE223 is REALLY close to LeveRevolution. Hodgdon's STARTING load with CFE in a 6BR with a 107 Sierra is 28 grains. Hornady's bolt gun 6ARC data lists 31.2 grains of Lever with a 108 ELD(62KPSI). I get that these are 6mm bores, but were also taking bullets 27-28 grains heavier. FWIW, Hornady's .224 Valkyrie data list 25.1 with an 88 ELD.
Obviously, extrapolate at your own risk, but out of a 24" barrel, I'd look for a "node" somewhere between 3050 and 3125 and watch for pressure signs. Figure 25fps/inch of barrel if you're shorter or longer than 24". Also, be aware of your chamber dimensions, in terms of neck diameter and throat. I don't mean to ask a dumb question, but you do have a chronograph, don't you?
Bear in mind, I'm basing this on what I'd feel comfortable doing with MY rifle.

The barrel will be 20”, 1:8 twist, .252 neck, .050FB, Lapua brass neck turned to .248 w/ a bullet seated. I will run my loads over a magnetospeed and use that to monitor temp sensitivity. I expect to end up between 2900-3000fps. I’m no newb when it comes to working up safe and accurate loads but the only wildcats I’ve played with up to this point have been Ackley’s, and those are pretty easy to extrapolate data from their parent cases. My only concern is the first shot since I’m using a powder with no published data in a wildcat cartridge with very little published data. After that first shot I’ll know exactly where I’m at and I’ll be fine. I know a lot of people are taken aback by the name “LEVERrevolution”, but as I’m sure you would agree, I think it will perform brilliantly in my BR, I’m just looking for a confident place to start.

Last edited:
Gotcha. That's exactly what I do. Fling one across the chrony, get speed sorta where I want it, then ladder across a friend's magnetospeed.
Honestly, if it were mine, I'd start at 29 to get things started (28 if you feel better about it) and look for bliss at about 30-30.5 and 3000fps w/80eldm's.
I'd bet there's more LEVER being burned in Bolts and AR's than levers, but BOLT-O-LUTION sounds weird and AUTO-LUTION almost sounds dirty.😀