• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .22LR suppressor first round pop

Irelander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2006
Seneca, PA
I just ordered my first (first, mind you) suppressor. It's a Tactical Innovations TAC65. I have heard a little about first round pop with a suppressor and to my limited knowledge it has to do with the first round out of the suppressor being louder because it forces the air out (or something like that). I will be using this suppressor mainly with my Buckmark, so even high velocity ammo should be subsonic. My question is, will the first round pop be louder with high velocity ammo than with subsonic ammo?

Re: .22LR suppressor first round pop

yes hv is above 1200fps so you get the sonic crack.subsonic is way quieter. to you the shooter you will hear the action cycle which will sound loud.to someone off to the side it wont be noticed.

yes,how long is your barrel?Even HV ammo can manage to stay subsonic in a short barrel although Subsonic ammo will be better at taming this.There is a magic measurement of IIRC about 4-6 inches.

I know with the walther P22's in the 3.4" barrel almost all ammo stays subsonice but the same P22 with the 5" barrel they go supersonic.

If your Buckmark is longer than 4" you might find it twists them fast enough and long enough to get the sonic crack.

But to answer your original question I was shooting just this weekend two P22's side by side, one with a AAC pilot and one with a SRT Cheyenne XL the Pilot had CCI Subsonic and the Cheyenne XL had Mini-Mags, they sounded almost identical.

Scott

My Buckmark wears a Tactical Solutions 4" barrel.

Scott, I've heard similar results to yours that high velocity and subsonic ammo will sound the same when suppressed through no longer than 4" barrels. Is the first round pop louder with either one?

I only shoot CCI Standard Velocity, so I cannot comment on first round pop differences between sub and super sonic.

I have found however, that I can eliminate first round pop by shooting a couple of squirts of Break Free in my YHM Mite before my first shot.

For most of the .22 cans FRP is usually between 2-6db louder than average suppressed levels. I believe the Tac 65 fits in that guesstimate also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irelander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Buckmark wears a Tactical Solutions 4" barrel.

Scott, I've heard similar results to yours that high velocity and subsonic ammo will sound the same when suppressed through no longer than 4" barrels. Is the first round pop louder with either one? </div></div>

I can't answer that as it was a quite a few mags into shooting that I did the side by side.

Next range session I will load one of each mag and see if first round pop is any different, but with the short barrel I would anticipate that they will be very close to the same.

Scott