• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .22LR Suppressor. Which One?

VYD

Ambush Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Need your advice on which <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> to purchase for my .22LR Savage. Has to be <span style="font-weight: bold">effective</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">easy to maintain/clean</span>. This is my main requirement.

Price is not really an issue so if you guys have some reviews of .22 <span style="font-style: italic">cans</span> or/and charts, I will gladly read them. I know there are lots of them out there, Gemtech, Yankee Hill, etc.

Thanks all.

Re: .22LR Suppressor. Which One?

im happy with my gemtec outback 11 but if i could do it over i would spend a little more $ and get one the was rated for 22 mag and easier to clean

it must be stainless steel in my opinion. you can blast it with a cheap sandblaster and it will be spotless, or use harsh chemicals AL will not hold up! lead (NOT CARBON) is the big problem with .22lr can...

weight it when new/clean and weigh it when it is dirty the first time that way you will know when to clean it without opening it and looking

I have a tactical innovations quest and am happy, it is full auto rated and SS

mine is 7.2 oz clean and 19.5OZ dirty after around 3000 rounds...so you can see how leaded they get DO NOT GET A ALUMINUM .22lr CAN IF YOU SHOOT ALOT!!!!

I can't honestly speak from experience, but the Gemtech is solid, and the Sparrow. If I had to pick it would be between those two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing beats the SilencerCo sparrow for easy of cleaning/maintenance, PERIOD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU8qlSV5DRM </div></div>

Plus the new Sparrows are SS.

Liberty Supressors.

Kodiak TL, or Essence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing beats the SilencerCo sparrow for easy of cleaning/maintenance, PERIOD.

Plus the new Sparrows are SS. </div></div>

Any idea on street price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing beats the SilencerCo sparrow for easy of cleaning/maintenance, PERIOD.

Plus the new Sparrows are SS. </div></div>
Id go with one of these aswell

I was between the SWR Spectre and the Liberty Kodiak. Both are SS, rated for higher power cartridges/Full auto, and can be taken apart for cleaning. I went with the Kodiak because I preferred the 1-piece mono-core over the separate baffles of the Spectre.

You'd be happy with either.

I think the three best .22lr silencers on the market are the SilencerCo 22Sparrow, AAC Element and SWR Spectre. I've tried the vast majority of current production .22 suppressors and find these to be "best of breed" for sound reduction, ease of cleaning, size, weight (more on this in a minute), construction and custom service of the manufacturer.

Of these the Spectre is certainly the heavy weight at 8.7oz. It is built like a tank. On a rifle you won't notice the weight. On a light weight handgun you'll notice and may be bothered by it. I mostly run the 22Sparrow on my light weight handguns.

I do not like or use the Spectre and Element "pusher" tools to remove the baffle cores. I am worried about putting stress on the tube's threads. In my opinion (and experience) if the core is too stuck to remove by taping with a wooden dowel and light rubber mallet then I am better off soaking the suppressors until the "gunk" is loosened up.

My 22Sparrow is serial number 0002. I guess you could call me an early adopter.
smile.gif
The way I used to do business was buy one of everything that came out. If I liked it, I stocked it. If it wasn't something I'd buy for myself, I'd pass. The 22Sparrow I own is the original aluminum version. On a 22/45 with PacLite the 22Sparrow is the loudest of the three suppressors but not by much. Spectre is next and the Element is the quietest. On a rifle the Spectre and 22Sparrow sound a bit quieter than the Element. But the sound is VERY close on all these. So close that when I used to demo these three products people always picked the one with the features that best suited them instead of just basing the decision on sound.

I could write a LOT more on these three products but instead will just leave it at that. If you want more specific info or pictures, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Mark,

That sounds like some good advice.
I'm curious what your opinion is of the SRT CHEYENNE line.
I already own one of Doug's cans and have been pleased with it.
(5.56 Typhoon w/ Atlas mount)
On John Titsworth's site they seemed to meeter well too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Are you considering updating your sparrow to the new stainless steel version? </div></div>

Nope.

If it was $50, sure. Over $200, I don't see that it is that necessary an upgrade. It might be a little quieter but you know from shooting these things the sound meter and reality (meaning what your ears hear) are sometimes a bit different.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I am plenty happy with my 22Sparrow now so I'm not going to change.

Now, I might reconsider after playing with a converted Sparrow. A friend has more than one aluminum 22Sparrow and is sending one for the upgrade. I'm waiting to see how that goes for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

That sounds like some good advice.
I'm curious what your opinion is of the SRT CHEYENNE line.
I already own one of Doug's cans and have been pleased with it.
(5.56 Typhoon w/ Atlas mount)
On John Titsworth's site they seemed to meeter well too. </div></div>

Sound meters don't tell you everything. Sound meters don't tell anything about tone or frequency for example.

Cheyenne isn't a take apart design. Apples to oranges. I no longer have a desire to own sealed .22lr suppressors. I still think a sealed suppressor has its place for some applications/users, but me personally there is little to no interest. However, when I did shoot a Cheyenne it was an okay sounding performer. I'd have to go back through notes to see if what I tested was an XL (I think it was).

I have the Gemtec Outback II and am happy with it. It is light weight and quiet. I have yet to clean it and the more you shoot, the quieter it seems to get.
Just my 2 cents

I'm buying a ss sparrow next week. Seems to be the best mix between performance, features, and price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sound meters don't tell you everything. Sound meters don't tell anything about tone or frequency for example.

</div></div>

Very true, and all these "tests" I've seen is one man with a sound meter. No controlled environment. No sound deadening. No controlled loads.

Essentially, they're garbage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willy7586</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Gemtec Outback II and am happy with it. It is light weight and quiet. I have yet to clean it and the more you shoot, the quieter it seems to get.
Just my 2 cents </div></div>

You can't clean it other than to immersion soak it in something like lacquer thinner and that will not remove lead build up.

Yes, with use and fouling in the suppressor they will get quieter. However, at some point it will start to fill with lead and fowling to the point sound performance suffers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Very true, and all these "tests" I've seen is one man with a sound meter. No controlled environment. No sound deadening. No controlled loads.

Essentially, they're garbage. </div></div>

Some people certainly think everything a particular "independent tester" states is the gospel. The problem is that people don't really understand the limitations of the sound meter. The meter tells part but not all of the story. It is useful. However, people should give consideration to other issues instead of simply sound performance yet that rarely is the case. The result is sometimes people are persuaded to buy a particular product only to later find it lacking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Are you considering updating your sparrow to the new stainless steel version? </div></div>

Nope.

If it was $50, sure. Over $200, I don't see that it is that necessary an upgrade. It might be a little quieter but you know from shooting these things the sound meter and reality (meaning what your ears hear) are sometimes a bit different.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I am plenty happy with my 22Sparrow now so I'm not going to change.

Now, I might reconsider after playing with a converted Sparrow. A friend has more than one aluminum 22Sparrow and is sending one for the upgrade. I'm waiting to see how that goes for him. </div></div>

Cool. I am considering it just because it makes it that much easier to clean. It would be nice to dissasemble it, throw the core and the clam shell tubes in the dip and be done with it. I guess the question is does the $200 maximize my laziness?

Thanks all. I will be deciding between AAC Element, SWR Spectre, and Liberty Sparrow. Hmmmm....which one and why? LOL.

Out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be aware, only stainless parts can go in the dip, an aluminum tube will be etched or et up. </div></div>

That's true. Notice I said only the core and clam shells. People who purchase the new sparrow can be lazy and throw everything in there!

However, there is not much need to put the outer tube in there anyway because I notice very little fowling thanks to the clam shells.

Guess I have to throw in a vote for YHM SS Mite. All SS, lighter than the Spectre, 22mag rated. All for under $300

+1 for the Tactical Innovations Quest. Purchased mainly for full auto use but works great for my bolt gun 22 and any of my pistols. As for cleaning well when the can is mainly used full auto it is a pain to clean. I probably go 3-4000 rounds befor cleaning.

I really like my SWR Spectre. It sounds great. Better than a lot of other 22lr cans I've heard. I haven't compared it to a sparrow, so that might be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all. I will be deciding between AAC Element, SWR Spectre, and Liberty Sparrow. Hmmmm....which one and why? LOL.

Out. </div></div>

That is the SilencerCo 22Sparrow I recommended if it makes a difference.

I'm very pleased with my Liberty Kodiak TL. Very quiet. Titanium Tube. Stainless steel monolithic core and cap. Easy to take down. Takedown tools included. $535 from Liberty. About 6oz. Very quiet on my 22/45 and 10/22. And it's dippable.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a tactical innovations quest and am happy, it is full auto rated and SS </div></div>

I also have a Quest. And an SWR Spectre. The Quest NEVER gets used any more because the Spectre is so much quieter and no FRP. Both get come completely apart for cleaning and can be cleaned in "the dip".

try the thompson machine zephyr bet you will be a happy customer and if you order before december 31's they are 188 shipped

pm me for more info on this

How much are you guys paying for a 22Sparrow?

I would get a 223 can. This way if you ever buy a 223 rifle or ar15 you have other uses for it. I put my 223 can on my 10/22 and its movie quite with sub-sonic 22 ammo..

I am getting a 22 can. I am also getting an AAC 30 cal so that I can use it on my 223.

Take a look at Innovative arms apex 22. Quieter than my tac65 and better constructed. Would have bought one first had I known about it. Great company to deal with!

So, here is a tip for you. Once again, crazy overboard materials and construction.

Don't get a .223 and then load it up with .22 crap.

lighterVALKYRIELOGO.jpg

I've got a Liberty Kodiak TL 22LR can. Stainless core, Titanium tube, easy takedown, tools included. Works great on a pistol and a rifle. Mouse fart quiet on a CZ452 with subsonics.

-David
Edgewood, NM

I had Liberty rebuild my YHM Mite...night and day better. Almost as quiet as my Outback....for the $$ the Outback is a tough can to beat. To do all over I would go with the Liberty....

well, I got my yhm mite a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that I am happy with it. It is very quiet and does exactly what I need it to do. Comes apart for cleaning and was relatively inexpensive.