• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR Zero

Re: .22LR Zero

i zero for 50 and have shot to 200 w/ plenty of adjustment left. I use a 20moa base though

25yds is where I'm zeroed. Because that's the usual range at which I remove quirrel's brains. Just two 1/4min clicks up and I'm zeroed for 50. 3moa gets me on at 75yd and 7moa for 100yd. Ammo is Wolf MT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is typical for everybody's zero distance? </div></div>
Even though I rarely shoot closer than 100 yards, I use a 50 yard zero. On my extreme MOA 10/22 with an EGW 20 MOA base, Seekins (34mm) LOWS, and S & B 5-25X, a 50 yard zero requires:

- 2.0 MILs' of "UP" adjustment at 100 yards

- 6.5 MILs' of "UP" adjustment at 200 yards

- 12.0 MILs' of "UP" adjustment at 300 yards

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is with Winchester Super-X High Velocity</span>

Keith

wow am I really the only one here so far that uses a 100yd zero?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow am I really the only one here so far that uses a 100yd zero?</div></div>

Me too, but only because it was left there from a previous match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50, 7 moa up to 100, WMT. </div></div>

same here with Remington Thunderbolt.

all though i rarely shoot there anymore mine is set at 50 yards, as it seems to be the standard for most rimfire rifles and ammo stats.

also 50 yards is the distance benchrest shooters perform at, and splits the difference (more or less) of the first 2 targets in smallbore silhoutte.

on a dedicated squirrel gun, 25 yards would probably be better

I shim my scope base and then zero for 50yd. My scope has 75MOA/5 turns/15MOA per turn of elevation adjustability, and the 50yd zero falls within 10 MOA of bottoming out the elevation adjustment. The scope will focus down to 15yd. Our range goes out to 250yd, and the rifle seems to be GTG at all distances using CCI Blue Box, standard velocity target ammo. But I seldom shoot beyond 100yd, and only very rarely beyond 200yd.

Greg

it really comes down to your personal preference. if you are going to be shooting exclusively at 100 or more ( and if your rifle can consistantly do it) i'd actually do a 100 yard zero so you would be spending less time cranking knobs (you sometimes make the mistake of loosing count of how many times you pass "0" on the turret).

as a trainer 50 yards with 22 + match ammo is somewhere simulating a .308 165gr at 100

as a trainer 100 yards with 22 + match ammo is somewhere simulating a .308 165gr at 240

you can always adjust down (negative "0" on the turret) for 50 if you feel the need. but when referencing most ammo and rifles in 22lr, they usually (and unfortunately) use 50 yards.

With a Mil-Dot scope a person could put the dots to work for them and carry a greater zero range such as the 100 yards, possibly even 200 yards? Right now my mil-dot scope is cross haired zero at 100 yards from shooting our month SH matches.

However, if I were to go to paper at 100 yards right now, there may be some fine tuning involved after shooting at a 3-1/2" round metal target.

I think an important aspect (for me anyway) is to settle on one ammo to use all the time for the zero of any scope for it to be at its most effective stage for your use. I've not done this as yet as I've drug my heals somewhat with my ammo testing. I am convinced however that subsonic ammo along with a good zero (regardless of range) is the way to go.

the mildots are nice for that, the catch is if you don't have the reticle on the first focal plane, the POI will change when, or if, you change your magnification level and shoot. as long as you keep it at the same magnification, it'll work.

you can do the same with duplex styled reticles and target dots doing a 6 o'clock or twelve o'clock hold (depending on magnification settings)

but if you don't have the mildots and holdover / under plus magnification settings starts getting too complicated / confusing, you are back to square one. which is why i generally use turret adjustment. just "set a # and squeeze a trigger" is simple to remember no matter what magnification setting your on.

I zero at 100 yards but it looks like I am way out of wack compared to others.

Same scope on my 10/22. It's on a 20MOA base and I zero at 50yds.

I don't generally touch it if we shoot at something from 25-50, but I will hold 1/2 mil elevation for 75yd and dial 17-18 clicks (~1.7mil) for 100yds.

If I bottom out the elevation knob, I can use the crosshair to about 400yds.

We did that last week while shooting at a 24" steel target. My friend fired my rifle and a split-second later, my uncle fired his .223Rem at the same target.

pop...BLAM.....DING!....ding

His bullet passed that little Wolf MT round like it wasn't even moving.
grin.gif

I'm zeroed at 50yds and that is what I usually shoot first, at really small targets. This gives me a nice warm-up and shows me what the wind is doing. I dial up my elevations to 100 and 200yds, but I use the mildot for windage adjustment. I think this is easier and less frustrating than dialing the windage(especially if the wind is variable). I'm at the point now where I feel the need to put together some wind flags. The ability to read the wind is critical once you start shooting to 100 and beyond.

Steve

two of my .22's are zeroed at 100yds. my other .22 is a silhouette rifle so the zero changes all the time.

Bonnie & I shoot high power matches at 200 yards and sometimes at 300 and 600 yards. At 200, she started out with a cool little Marlin 22 bolt action so we did a lot of sighting in and tweeking.

Using Winchester Dynapoint (hoarded), we sight in at 100 yards. We move to 200 and the elevation from 100 is +77 quarter minute clicks which is 19 and 1/4 minutes "UP".

I have never used match ammo. Perhaps better than bulk bullets would improve this.

That question is moot as once she started shooting her Marlin 917V in 17 HMR at 200 yards and earned High Master scores, she promised never go back to the 22. It's a shame as she is a "natural" at doping the wind and Kentucky windage adjustments (She shifts her sight picture to one side to correct for the wind).

Bonnie will still pop some .22 rounds at 100 yards, however.

Flash

Federal 510 zeros for me at the nice round numbers of 20.0 and 50.0 meters. Never goes more than 1cm above poa between zeros. I figure if i'm shooting greater than 50m I have time to think about it and mess with the mildots/turrets.
Holdover is ~2mils@100m.