• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

240SX Silvia-R conversion, used car price?

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
Anyone know these cars? I am looking for a replacement car, want an older rear wheel drive, manual transmission car. This car has been gone through as to suspension, brakes, bushings, belts, and has the S-15 front end conversion, etc. I have no clue as to waht to offer for this, but am thinking maybe around $7500 cash.

If any of you know these older 240SX's (So Cal guys maybe?) let me know what to offer for something like this. I am basically looking to replace my flooded lost Neon with car that has old school rear wheel drive and a stick shift. Since this one has all inds of new parts, has been resotred pretty much, I think it might hold more value than what KBB says, but not the $12k asking price(ALL things are negotiable)

5Le5If5Fe3Ff3Le3H7c35b22960da329818cd.jpg

5Lc5K35Fa3n53Ke3G9c35a04bf8a048431552.jpg

5Gd5U15J13F33I43H6c350ed8795b2bff1f6b.jpg

5L85T45H83Jf3Nc3H3c357f8ff481dfcf1844.jpg

Re: 240SX Silvia-R conversion, used car price?

It depends a bit on the parts. Full adj suspension, SR-20de conv, turbo, intercooler, all that stuff adds up. Along with that is who did the work and how well done. Where did the parts come from ie. front half of a Japanese retired car? I'd say $7500 is a solid place to start, but parts alone probably cost more than that, body and engine/cpu alone.

FWIW they are great driving, and when well done are very quick.

I know it's a slightly different car but I have and drive a candy apple red '94 Nissan 300ZX which is essentially this car's big brother and I LOVE it! In the snow I swap to the Volvo '07 S60 or my F350 because it's a freaking riot to drive the 300ZX in the snow.

Is the engine OEM or a JDM? A JDM motor which this might be, runs about $2,000 with turbos ad CPU and that car with a blown motor can be had for ~$1K so that's $3K + all the rest of the upgrades and elbow grease, I've say it's worth $5-$6. I think $12K is way over the top and it sounds like he's asking for 100% of what he has in it which is unrealistic. However, provided the motor is a JDM you should be good to go (lower miles on the JDM engine). My 300ZX is in great condition and I only paid $5400 cash from a dealership none-the-less.

I have seen some really built(very high state of tune) cars with race suspension, race brakes, race wheels, intercoolers, turbo timers, sick looking paint and what I would call FnF level stuff for $12000.
The car has basically OEM replacement stuff in the conversion, no intercooler, no turbo timer, or excessive blow off parts, basic suspension and brakes, so I am thinking $7500 is a better place. I'll offer half at $6000 because that is the place where I have seen these cars sell for in this level of trim($6k - $7.5k). For $12k a nasty drifting, roadracing, stanced, or very well murdered out car is what one gets. I am talking about Fast and Furious, Race Wars sittin by the edge watchin with tunes crankin and hotties leaning over the hood sweet. THAT's $12000, or more.
I do look forward to hearing more from anyone else as well

From what I can see that is not a S15 front end conversion, looks like the regular front end we had here for that year.

I also believe the S15 was the "black top" version, it should have a matte black valve cover.

Yeah, that is most definitely not an S15 front end nor is it an S15 motor. It is an S14 chassis and has the stock USDM "zenki" front end offered from 95-96. The motor is the red-top SR20det with what looks like all the stock side-mount intercooler piping plus an aftermarket engine dampener. The red-top SR's were offered 91-93 and the stock output was 202hp and 203 lb/ft torque. There are actually 3 different versions of the blacktop SR's offered in the Nissan S chassis's. One was basically was essentially the same as the red-top, but with a black valve cover (offered in the S13). The second one had a hump in the valve cover over the #3 cylinder, variable vale timing (VVT), and came with 217 hp and 203 lb/ft torque (offered in the S14). The third and final version which was in the S15 had the hump in the cover, VVT, larger injectors and came with 247 hp and 202 lb/ft torque.

All things considering, I would offer in around 5K without being able to see the workmanship in the engine swap and feel how strong that redtop still pulls.

I wouldnt give more than 5.5 for it.

On the flip side, have you considered an AWD car? You could get into an 02 or 03 wrx for around 7500, and IMO they are a much funner car to drive.

My commuter is a 02 wagon with a full STI spec C swap, doing a bit over 400 to the wheels, its a blast.

Made teh guy an offer for 5.5k...he went down to 8k, I countered with 7k flat...then...
He deicded to enege on what he told me on the phone abou tthe car,"It has never been in an accident, all you have to do is put the key in and drive away"

Today,"Well the AC doesn't work, uh, the cruise Control doesn't work....the reason for the front swap was this black lade hit it from teh an angle...I had to change the mnotor, fenders, front pieces..."

Had he been honest with the first call, it would have ended there. Total waste of time

Found one local the other day. $3500, needs attention to a 'Check engine light', peeling tint inside, peeling clear coat on hood, and the normal tiny dings, but an all original car that has thus far been stated as being well maintained, never kid driven, and was daily transpo for older cuople, daughter with stone reliability. Waiting for the call to go look

Switch, its been my experience tha "Lots of new parts" = worn out.

Try ebay motors. I got a used MB E320diesel with 30,000 miles for 426000, less thatn half the sticker. If your patient and shrewd you can get some great deals. Times are tight right now and a lot of folks are paying for their mistakes.

You know the old saying "Buy smart, buy once.".

The handshake was solid and we shall finish our business Monday or Tuesday. The man is either a senior NCO, or a mid grade officer, but he seems more like an NCO unless he's a Mustanger. The car has been very well maintained and has pristine engine bay, trunk, and interior. The paint is faded on the front bumper, and an emmissions check engine light is on(orange), the tint needs replaced, but the car is very well kept, maintenance records are all there, new brakes, tires, and the wheels are from an Altima with white powercoat. The windsheild has large cracks on eich side and across the front. With that said, we shall replace the windshield(>$200), get the check engine light gripe fixed, replace the tint(>$200), and get it repainted a dark grey(Panty 6's choice of color...I was hoping she went for either a dark green or sea blue)

5Nf5K25Fb3Ie3Jb3Nac3r46bccd78a6641bb9.jpg

Overall, I think we got a decent car. 1996 Zenki 240SX, KA24 motor, auto(may swap out the shifter, but the thing is good!)for a car with 174k on it, it runs great, really great. Everything works, and as I said, mostly in super shape. $3500 was a bit below the 'fair' KBB price

Not too bad for a stock-ish one, definitely beats the asking price of $12k for the gold one (which definitely does not have a S15 front and isn't worth more than $5-$6k tops).

I've had a couple of 240's over the years, they can be good fun. Don't really recommend building them into full drift cars unless you have something else as a daily, made that mistake a while back.. Had a lot of fun with mine though (other than blowing 3 SR's over the span of about 6 years).

Here's some nostalgia since we're on the subject of these things, haha.

triplethreat_98.jpg

That was my 95 SR-swapped S14 with a GT2871 turbo, coilovers, 2-way diff, full cage, gutted interior, etc. Made about 330hp and was a blast but really impractical and uncomfortable. Professionally drifted it in 06-07 and finally parted it out after blowing the motor (a few times) and pretty much destroying the chassis.

IMG_2396.jpg

Later picked up an 89 S13 hatch with a stock redtop SR swap, JDM areo, coilovers, 5-lug conversion, Bride seats, 1.5 way diff, bolt-in cage and a bunch of other stuff. Sorta planned on keeping this one a bit more stock and street friendly but that didn't last too long. This one was a little less wild and more reliable, but I eventually got bored and traded it for a 1JZ-swapped Lexus SC300 that made a little over 500hp (which then got sold to help buy a house).

Kinda miss 240's sometimes though, wouldn't mind having a stock one to play around with one of these days. Have fun with yours!

I can't wait to get the keys and drive it. The motor pulls right strong, and it seemed to handle very well on the neighborhood roads...at 20mph - 30mph. For now we are only going to fix the stuff that needs immediete attention, paint, tint and whatever I find giving it the all around total under over inspection. After that, we have agreed to save money for upgraded brakes, shocks and springs, intake, exhaust, wheels and tires(Those Altima wheels kinda make my head hurt...why white?) I am digging the old school Volk TE37's at a nice sedate 17x8 all around with 235's or 245's just so I can rotate them...of course stuffing some 265's out back and 245's up front would be fun too...still lots of time to save and really think it through, but the kid has already been talking saving for a new block, stroker kit and a turbo. NO body crap though...sleeper with a nice little bit of drop but not so much it's a streetsweeper slammer(I like flush, but don't care for the way they look with angled wheels outside the body, I dig tucked and a bit of stance...Tanabe GF210 may be fine)