• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.243 barrel twist?

browney5er

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2009
Bellingham,Wa
I'm going to build a light weight .243 deer rifle. I'll be shooting 80 gr. barnes tipped tripleshocks.I would like to know what twist I should go with and how much lighter and heavier bullets could I shoot accurately with that twist?

Re: .243 barrel twist?

I dont know if this will help but I am able to run 105 a-max and berger vld's out of a stock remington that has a listed twist of 1 in 9.125

The ballistic calculators suggest I am marginable at best with this twist, but so far it is working. We shall see if that continues through the cold weather months at my 1000’ ASL range.

If it were me, I would not want a twist slower than 9 but all I want to shoot is 95+ grain bullets. A 10 twist seems to be pretty popular with the light bullet crowd.

The Barnes bullet is tough enough to handle a 1-7.5 without coming apart. You MAY need to slow it down a bit for max accuracy but, that way you can the handle the heaviest of 6mm pills.

Or, you could just use the heavies from the start. MPO is that an 80gr even a BTS is too light for deer.

Got a Shilen 1:10 twist.....shoots 75 grain v-max lights out. And I have taken several deer with that load.....all drt. I have shot up to the 95 gr loads with success......all in warm weather at about 1000 asl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gafferq2xl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> MPO is that an 80gr even a BTS is too light for deer. </div></div>

Not even a hint of experience with the 80 grain Barnes Tipped, but the 85 grain TSX is the absolute deer killin'est bullet I've ever hunted with...and that opinion is solidly formed on killing a shit ton of 'em with it.

Obviously your mileage may vary.........

In the UK the .243 is the most popular deer round.

However most factory rifles use a 1-10" twist which really is not enough to achieve potential with the heavier >100grn projectiles.

Go 1-8" twist. The .243 excells >85grn for deer. Thwe light weigth bullets burn chambers and give the calibre it's un-deserved rep of being a barrel burner.

The 85 grain TSX....so easy a kid can do it.

P1010018.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010019.jpg

HPIM2287-1.jpg

HPIM2699.jpg

HPIM2627.jpg

HPIM2629.jpg

1017101747a953049041.jpg

mat8pt2.jpg

matdoe.jpg

Nice pics. 1:10 is fine for your bullet weight, but a 1:8 will allow you to shoot heavier 105/108s later if you decide to. The 1:8 will shoot the 80s fine too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pics. 1:10 is fine for your bullet weight, but a 1:8 will allow you to shoot heavier 105/108s later if you decide to. The 1:8 will shoot the 80s fine too.</div></div>

this...