• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243AI: Feasible to run 115 DTAC and 87 V-Max?

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
If I build a 243AI around the 115gr DTAC is it likely I can also get good accuracy out of the 87 V-Max or will I be spinning them too fast? I want to optimize around the DTAC for the long range performance and antelope but it'll be a necessity to use the V-Max for coyotes.

Re: 243AI: Feasible to run 115 DTAC and 87 V-Max?

Hi what twist are you using? if using a 8 twist you will have no troubles shooting both. Personaly i would use the 115gr DTAC's at all ranges they exhibit les drift and that is the hardest thing to estimate. The 115's also are going slower and will not wear the barrel as much as the lighter projectiles another reason to use one load.

I have used MatchKings for hunting and the main thing you need is accuracy if you cant hit the game you cant dispatch it.

Good luck with your riele but i think you will have good luck with the DTAC.

I'm not sure on this, but I would think the long throat needed for the DTACs would rule out using the 87's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi what twist are you using? if using a 8 twist you will have no troubles shooting both. Personaly i would use the 115gr DTAC's at all ranges they exhibit les drift and that is the hardest thing to estimate. The 115's also are going slower and will not wear the barrel as much as the lighter projectiles another reason to use one load.

I have used MatchKings for hunting and the main thing you need is accuracy if you cant hit the game you cant dispatch it.

Good luck with your riele but i think you will have good luck with the DTAC.

</div></div>

The reason I MUST use V-Max's for coyotes is not a range issue, but a ricochet issue. I can use the DTACs at the range and when I go out west but I cannot take a chance on anything but V-Maxes or Varmint Grenades in the field around here, too many bad places for harder bullets to end up downrange.

If anyone has some definitive input on the throating issue, I'd appreciate it. I can't see it being a deal-breaker as the V-Maxes seem to tolerate a long jump. I have a long throat in my 300WM Sendero that requires seating 200ABs out quite long yet I can run 110gr V-Max's in it and they are obviously making quite a jump.

I have seen the 87 vmax jump a very long way to reach the throat in a stock remington without any issues. I know someone on here is using the 115s for coyotes and they seem to be pretty soft.