• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 Creedmoor Load Development

Yes, the seating die is just the 6 or 6.5 seater on these. You can get a 25 cal seating stem sometimes for your die, but from BlackJack's recommendation, it's not necessary.

I am using my redding 6.5 Creed micrometer seating die with the "25 cal, long VLD seating stem"

I just use my 260 seating die, actually set the same as my 260 140gr eldm load. happens to be the same load length, go figure.

Reactions: 257 Blackjack
I understand this is a fairly new cartridge and have done a little reading. Any ideas so far on the expected barrel life. I’m currently running a 6 creed with DTACs and this round piques my interest for when I have to rebarrel.

Reactions: Bear24
I see you're using Redding type S die with a .283 bushing. What seating die are you using? Can you just use a 6 or 6.5 seating die for these? Pardon the noob question

Got a call from Redding today. A Part # will soon be available for our 131 ACE and future similar bullets. Dies are coming too.

Nice Blackjack, as much as my 260 die works, I'd much rather have the right stem.

I understand this is a fairly new cartridge and have done a little reading. Any ideas so far on the expected barrel life. I’m currently running a 6 creed with DTACs and this round piques my interest for when I have to rebarrel.

Nothing definitive, but I'd say if I shoot out 6.5 Creedmoor barrels in 2500 or so round, you're probably looking at 2000 to 2200 for the 25

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Anyone done any work with a 25 PRC yet?

I have been running a 24" 25 SAUM since October. It's a laser at 3250 fps. I ran it up to 3300 fps but backed it off a little. With a 26-28" bbl you could see 50-100 fps more velocity. It smacks coyotes with authority! Manson reamers are available in SAUM, PRC, 25-284, 257 WBY that are set up for the 131's.

Jesse that gets me excited! What DA are you using? I'm around 1000ft so I love the high BC.

I have been running a 24" 25 SAUM since October. It's a laser at 3250 fps. I ran it up to 3300 fps but backed it off a little. With a 26-28" bbl you could see 50-100 fps more velocity. It smacks coyotes with authority! Manson reamers are available in SAUM, PRC, 25-284, 257 WBY that are set up for the 131's.

That's incredible and I bet it is an absolute laser. Why did you go SAUM vs any other short mag?

That's incredible and I bet it is an absolute laser. Why did you go SAUM vs any other short mag?

Really no other reason than I could get a rental reamer quickly and I already had the dies for it. I prefer the case design over the PRC in a mag fed rifle also.

Xcaliber has given me good results. Also you could call Jim at NSS he keeps many prefits on hand and ready to go.

ran the 25 creedmoor in a match this last weekend. performance was stellar, .350bc held up to 1000. Believe I may need to pump it up, had to pull .1 to .2 out of every correction to get on target to center. can't say enough good things about this bullet. consistency was amazing, no unknown shots lost to flyers, only skill level. Getting ready to run them fast from my 7.5 twist 25-06 for Q Creek.

ran the 25 creedmoor in a match this last weekend. performance was stellar, .350bc held up to 1000. Believe I may need to pump it up, had to pull .1 to .2 out of every correction to get on target to center. can't say enough good things about this bullet. consistency was amazing, no unknown shots lost to flyers, only skill level. Getting ready to run them fast from my 7.5 twist 25-06 for Q Creek.

What elevation were you running at?

about 800ft ASL, DA of 1500ish. Was very foggy and humid in the morning, but the sun burned it off around 10am. I expect that the BC may have been lower due to the thick air, and that when I get to Wyoming next month there will be some truing necessary due to the giant jump in altitude and DA change.

What is everyone using to measure COAL for their chambers? Im thinking about threading the primer pocket of a once fired piece of brass. I have a 6.5cm modified case but obviously, the neck wont fit into the chamber.

What is everyone using to measure COAL for their chambers? Im thinking about threading the primer pocket of a once fired piece of brass. I have a 6.5cm modified case but obviously, the neck wont fit into the chamber.

Couldn't you buy a second modified case in 6.5 Creedmoor and simply neck it down?

Or if you must have a case make it yourself. FL Size the case, clamp it in some wood blocks in a vice, drill the base out and run a tap through it.

Finally getting to the range tomorrow. My barrel is a 7 twist K&P from @ES-Tactical for my Desert Tech. Alpha and Peterson SRP brass was out of stock and Starline was on sale, so I picked up 200. I'm using RL16 and FGMM small rifle primers. I have 2000 Blackjacks, but I'm using Sierra 120 Gamekings I had on the bench in order to form the brass and get the barrel settled in before I start using the 131s

I use the starline srp with cci 450 primers and h4350. I've gotten very good results from the starling so far. Virgin brass gets me under 10es and SD with excellent accuracy out to 1000 so far

I use the starline srp with cci 450 primers and h4350. I've gotten very good results from the starling so far. Virgin brass gets me under 10es and SD with excellent accuracy out to 1000 so far

That's good to know, especially since I have thousands of the 450s on hand in case the 205M doesn't give me the results I'm looking for

Initial testing went well. Brass prep consisted of running Starline small primer 6.5 Creedmoor brass through a Redding Type S FL die with a 0.282" bushing, then running a 257 expander mandrel through the neck to set my neck tension and ensure a perfectly round interior neck, and using my Giraud to chamfer and debur. I'm using Reloder 16 and all powder charges thrown on an AD FX120I. I'm using Sierra 120 Gamekings for now to form brass and send 100 down the barrel before switching to the 131s. Chrono is a MagnetoSpeed V3. 26" K&P barrel from ES Tactical with SilencerTech suppressor.

I started at 42.2 and went up by 0.3 grains to 43.1. I fired round-Robin with 2 minutes in between shots. My thoughts were the 131s seem to do really well, from what I've read, around 2950, so I figured 42.2 would put the 120s fairly close to that number., which should give me a starting point when switching to the heavier bullets. Velocity numbers were really scattered, which I expected out of new brass and no real load data, but I was really surprised to see those numbers at 43.1 grains. I'm including pics of the brass and primers along with the velocities for informational purposes only. Four 42.2 on the left going up to 43.1 on the right. I fired the rounds from bottom to top, left to right, then right to left, so you can match up the brass with the velocities.

20190524_082019.jpg

20190524_082239.jpg

20190524_085748.jpg
20190524_085937.jpg

Anyone as data with RL16 and RL26?

What is the case capacity of the converted Alpha?

With the rev 2 reamer (0.115 FB) what is the OAL touching the lands?

I was messing in QL to check my options but I don't understand how it could be achivable to run 44gr of H4350 as it should be way overpressure in reduced case capacity like w/ the alpha....or that data is for Horandy 53 ish gr of H2o?

not alpha, but I'm maxed out at 43.2gr h4350 in the converted starline SRP that I'm using. I've heard that the alpha brass ahs a higher internal capacity, allowing for more powder without pressure.

not alpha, but I'm maxed out at 43.2gr h4350 in the converted starline SRP that I'm using. I've heard that the alpha brass ahs a higher internal capacity, allowing for more powder without pressure.

What's your OAL at the lands with the 131? Is your bearing/boat tail junction past the nk/shoulder junction?

Reactions: MangoFett
Has anyone tried Varget with Alpha brass? I have tons of it and would prefer just to use that if it works.

Alright guys I apologize if I am being repetitive with these questions I am about to ask. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I am just having an overflow and a brain dump.
Which dies are you all using. Seems like the Redding type s dies correct? 6.5 creedmoor? Then just replace the the bushing and seating stem ?
Do those dies bump the shoulder as well or only neck size I like bumping should for reliability.
I know alpha makes 25creed brass but probably limited batches is it better the just get 6.5 or 6 creed and just neck up or down?
I have a hawk hill barrel coming in and excited to get in the 25 game!
If you dont mind make a part list together of reloading dies and parts that would be great. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Alright guys I apologize if I am being repetitive with these questions I am about to ask. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I am just having an overflow and a brain dump.
Which dies are you all using. Seems like the Redding type s dies correct? 6.5 creedmoor? Then just replace the the bushing and seating stem ?
Do those dies bump the shoulder as well or only neck size I like bumping should for reliability.
I know alpha makes 25creed brass but probably limited batches is it better the just get 6.5 or 6 creed and just neck up or down?
I have a hawk hill barrel coming in and excited to get in the 25 game!
If you dont mind make a part list together of reloading dies and parts that would be great. Thanks again.

Yes, Redding Type S or Competition dies with 6.5 VLD seating stem. Full length bushing sizing dies. Throw the neck sizer in the trash.

Most guys are using bushings between .281-.283 depending on brass. I personally opted for .281 with Alpha 25 Creed headstamped brass, and then set neck tension with a .2565 21st Century expander mandrel. It’s an extra step in the process but it produces significantly better concentricity and more consistent neck tension.

Plenty of guys just go after it with 6mm or 6.5 headstamped brass and .282-.283 bushings with expander balls. Lots of them have success as well. But I’ve found found this process to be much more susceptible to run-out and inconsistent neck tension. Again, just comes down to preference - there is more than one way to do it.

These are rounds 75 to 100 and my first with the 131s. I'd been using Sierra 120 Gamekings to get some rounds through the barrel and form the brass. I'm using Starline small primer 6.5 Creedmoor brass, Federal Gold Medal Match small rifle primers, and Reloder 16. All rounds fired round Robin from left to right, beginning with lower left and ending with the upper left, which was an additional 41.3 round.
20190818_101242.jpg

As you can see, no pressure signs whatsoever, even up to a high of 3001 fps at 42.5 grains.

41.3 - 2899, 2927, 2932, 2925, 2908, 2929
41.6 - 2915, 2941, 2932, 2911, 2920
41.9 - 2941, 2955, 2954, 2954, 2957
42.2 - 2970, 2975, 2969, 2978, 2982
42.5 - 2973, 2988, 2986, 2993, 3001

I was at a match and I was just shooting them at various range steel targets, so I don't have groups (groups with the 120 Gamekings were very impressive).

Alpha SRP Brass
40.5gr RL16
131 ACE
CCI 450

18-20 thou jump. Rounds 5-10 on the new barrel.

Attachments

• F4C0A3D6-C609-4468-BB9B-F494A0C82ED0.jpeg
    F4C0A3D6-C609-4468-BB9B-F494A0C82ED0.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: mpl2353
I would also like an update on this

When I talked to them a couple weeks ago, they said they had no plans of doing production .25 caliber dies at this time. They said they would make them, but it would require at least 25-50 (? don’t remember exactly) orders to make the new tooling worth their while. They would also charge custom die prices.

They also said that the tolerance is so close with their 6.5mm seating stems that .25 actually falls “within spec” as there would be minimal space on either side of the bullet. Furthermore, I have seen very little runout using the 6.5 seater so I’m not sure how much benefit there actually would be. If they become readily available, maybe something to consider. Otherwise, it wasn’t worth the hassle going through all that to have one made for likely very little benefit.

So, here's where I'm at.

42.6g H4350
Av 2951
Sd 5.5fps
Lapua 6.5 necked down

Groups are shit (.6-.75) with a .020 and .030 jump

42.7g
Av2956
Sd 12
Groups are better (.4-.5)
.020 jump

42.8gr
Av 2958
Sd 11
Groups are a hair better than 42.7g
.020 jump

I've got some more loaded up of 42.6 with a .010 jump, hoping they group better. If they become .5 or better consistently, I'm good with it.

Any suggestions?

So, here's where I'm at.

42.6g H4350
Av 2951
Sd 5.5fps
Lapua 6.5 necked down

Groups are shit (.6-.75) with a .020 and .030 jump

42.7g
Av2956
Sd 12
Groups are better (.4-.5)
.020 jump

42.8gr
Av 2958
Sd 11
Groups are a hair better than 42.7g
.020 jump

I've got some more loaded up of 42.6 with a .010 jump, hoping they group better. If they become .5 or better consistently, I'm good with it.

Any suggestions?

Try 42.2 and 42.4 to see what it does

Has anyone tried Varget with Alpha brass? I have tons of it and would prefer just to use that if it works.
I talked to Blackjack about using Varget, and they had good luck with it in the 25x47, but the extra capacity and pressure in the 25 Creed limits Varget’s use in that cartridge

Reactions: Greene
I talked to Blackjack about using Varget, and they had good luck with it in the 25x47, but the extra capacity and pressure in the 25 Creed limits Varget’s use in that cartridge

I tried it in my 25 creed using Alpha brass I ran into pressure before getting the speed.

H4350 has seemed to be the best balance for mine. This last lot of H4350 is slow with my 42.2 load at 2905 fps. Last lot was 2945 fps same charge.

H4831sc also shot well and seemed very consistent, but little slower in the mid to high 2800's

Reactions: Guardian MRD
Not quite an apple to apple comparison, since I went with Starline brass and Reloder 16, but 42.2 is where I'm loading. It's sending the 131 at 2974 with zero signs of pressure.

RL16 has been the ticket for me. Great speed and consistency. Tight spreads and great groups, not finicky in the least. I didn’t bother with Varget - figured it was going to be too fast for a Creed.

Reactions: Raufoss