• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 AI

justintimesc

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
South Carolina
I'm having a 260 Ackley built as a hunting rifle. It's getting fairly close to being done. My question is what are most people doing to fireform the cases? Middle of the road charge of powder or oatmeal and some pistol powder? Also Does anyone have any load data for the 260AI using a 140 gr bullet. I looked through the loads and only found one load. Thanks

Re: 260 AI

Load like it matters and shoot them for real.

All mine that fire formed were accuracy loaded and shot great, my best load was with a 139gr Scenar recipe is in the garage if you want it let me know I will look it up.

I shot a 260 AI for quite some time. Fire forming load was with the Lapua 139gr Scenar with 47gr of H4831SC. Once fire formed, I moved up to 48.5gr of H4831SC.

Of course, that was in my gun so you should work up to those. But the fire formed load did a great job with Remmy brass for what it's worth.

Fireform with maximum loads.

Pressure is what makes brass flow and go "plastic". The brass going plastic and flowing is what causes it to take the shape of the chamber.

If you use pistol powder and cream of wheat, the cases won't fully form to the chamber.

Good luck.

i fireformed with ramshot hunter and some 140mk that i picked up really cheap. the gun shot great and velocity was excellent for a form load at 2860fps. work up a form load just as you would any other and you can put them to good use on game, steel, or paper.

chuck

based on advice from sierra's tech support hotline years ago, I fireformed with a max load for the parent cartridge (i.e. 260rem)

iirc that was 42g of R17 using 139g scenars. it's quite accurate during fireforming and instead of wasting the rounds, i usually try to fireform during an f-class match.

my 140g berger load was 44.92g R17 (pretty hot) but my brass life sucked, so i backed down to 44.36g and am having pretty decent results. (win or hornady 243 brass necked up, fed GM primers) note my chamber is a .296 nk so ymmv. definitely work up to it

Thanks for all the information. Has anyone used the scenars for hunting. I've been experimenting with the matchkings in my 308. the kill great but leave little blood. I'm scared I'll have to track one and have no blood to go on. Whats your experience with the scenars?

In my 28 inch 260AI I fireformed with 47gr 4831SC. My go to load was 47.5 grains and that netted 2900fps with the 140amax seated at 2.835. This load produced insane accuracy out to 670 yards. The amax is also excellent on game. I don't think the Scenar would produce much of an entrace or exit wound that produced large volumes of blood. I have no doubt it would bring down game if a well placed shot was taken though. Amax is also half the price of the Scenar.

Also What size bushing to use with the redding type S neck sizing die. Will be loading lapua brass and 140 gr bullet. Anything to get me in the ball park will be appreciated.