• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 build

glock10mmman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2008
Andover Kansas
www.ar15armory.com
So I was talking to Hooper with Hooper LE supply last night about another build. I was thinking about a 243 or 22-250 build. Would like a varmint gun to be able to reach 1000 if truley needed. He reccomends in the 260 remington. Says its about as balisticly the same as a 243 but barrel life is longer.

Got a few questions as I am planning on another build over the next year and need some input on this caliber.

260 a long or short action. I have a donor 308 short action that I wanted to use, but dont really know. IS the 260 bolt face the same as the 308?

I found Remington brass on Midway for 340 and change for 1000 new. Better place to find it?

What bullets and weights are you getting the best accuracy out of? Also what powders and primers?

What barrel should I go with and what twist?

Now the last question. Is the 260 really what its cracked up to be? Im wanting a light caliber rifle that really recoils no more than the 308 guns, has alot less drop than the 308 at 1000 and is still small enough that I can use to varmint hunt. Would be awsome to have a pd gun that can zap at a grand if needed. Any other suggestions on other calibers? I have 3 700's 223, 6.8 and 308.

Thanks alot.

Re: 260 build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock10mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I was talking to Hooper with Hooper LE supply last night about another build. I was thinking about a 243 or 22-250 build. Would like a varmint gun to be able to reach 1000 if truley needed. He reccomends in the 260 remington. Says its about as balisticly the same as a 243 but barrel life is longer.

Got a few questions as I am planning on another build over the next year and need some input on this caliber.

260 a long or short action. I have a donor 308 short action that I wanted to use, but dont really know. IS the 260 bolt face the same as the 308?

I found Remington brass on Midway for 340 and change for 1000 new. Better place to find it?

What bullets and weights are you getting the best accuracy out of? Also what powders and primers?

What barrel should I go with and what twist?

Now the last question. Is the 260 really what its cracked up to be? Im wanting a light caliber rifle that really recoils no more than the 308 guns, has alot less drop than the 308 at 1000 and is still small enough that I can use to varmint hunt. Would be awsome to have a pd gun that can zap at a grand if needed. Any other suggestions on other calibers? I have 3 700's 223, 6.8 and 308.

Thanks alot. </div></div>

Here's a good read about the 260: http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-case-for-260-remington/

Short Action
Same bolt face
Common twist is 1 in 8
Some people are complaining about the Remington brass being too soft and the primer pockets being loose after the first load. Nosler makes 260 brass or neck up a 243 or neck down a 308.

I'm interested in doing this as well that's why I'm doing a little research, thought I'd share.

Joseph

.260 Rem. Is just a necked down .308 - short action.

Yes .260 is cracked up to what it's supposed to be.

Popular F-Class round. Low recoil, fast round. No break needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USFCLASSTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.260 Rem. Is just a necked down .308 - short action.

Yes .260 is cracked up to what it's supposed to be.

Popular F-Class round. Low recoil, fast round. No break needed. </div></div>

How hard is it to form the brass from 308? I have 2k of LC 07 308 once fired stuff that I was thinking using.

only problem with 260 is there is no Lapua brass, there is however Lapua brass for a 243...which would be my choice.

You get both sides. Alot of BR guys fuss about going from 308 dwn to 264. They see donuts inside the case at the bottom of the neck. They feel necking up is better. 243 to 264 less change in diameter. Forming is not really a big deal. Either run 243 brass through your 260 dies or I 2 step the 308. 7mm then 6.5. An eliptical expander makes necking up easier. Hornady and a couple of other companies have them. The donut can prevent you from seating long bullets in the case without a bulge. also screws up neck tension. Seating long bullets out can be limited by a short action magazine depending on your rifle throat. This can also eat up powder capacity. Thats why the 6.5 creedmoor was developed. To give the same ballistics with plenty of room in the magazine. Some say you can get better velocity from the creedmoor with long bullets due to being able to seat them out farther. I have had both and think they are pretty equal. The 6.5 creedmoor and for that matter the 6.5 X 47 lapua pretty much solve most of these issues. Lapua brass for the 6.5 lapua is excellent. Hornady brass for the creedmoor is better than remington in my opinion but not on par with lapua. If however you feel, like I do, reloading componants are going to get scarce being able to make brass from 308, 7mm-08, 260 rem, and 243 says a lot. All that being said I have 4 6.5 rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'm kind of sold on the caliber have been since my fist 6.5X55.
HTH
Rad

What about bullet seating issues with the .260? Or is that just with VLD type bullets?

-King

I wouldn't form 260 brass from LC brass.
1) Case volume of LC is less than what RP
2) Case starts too short

Will it work, yes. Would I do it, no. You will be better of with RP 260 brass if you don't want to neck up 243 brass. Win brass I've not noticed donuts when necking up to .264". Lapua brass I do see donuts so a neck turn w/fluted mandrel is required unless your chamber has a neck diameter of 0.300" or larger.

H4350 or similar burn rate w/140s, Varget or similar burn rate for 95 V-max.

While a 260 is a short action round, it really needs about 2.930" or so OAL with the 140ish gr match bullets to really shine. Running in an unmodified short action Remington 700 (2.820" OAL) the 260 w/bigger match bullets is hamstrung.
260 in a Rem 700, AICS magazines w/front strap removed to allow for OAL of 2.97+", feed ramp notched to allow longer OAL, and life will be grand.

HTH

I also have been debating the 260Rem vs 6.5x47L. I have all parts for the build on a Rem. SA with BO detachable magazine to run 139-142 grain bullets.

A question I have is that while most 260s are built on short actions that limit the OAL to a degree, would it not be good to build it on a long action and maybe block the back of the mag. well if needed to overcome feeding issues?

Also, is there some gunbuilder that is known for specializing in the 6.5 calibers? GAP trunaround is 8 months now.

Here is mine, with help from FCS and Brux barrels. So far this gun will out shoot me. hoping to get out and do some distance this week. It does kick less than a 308.

Brux 1 in 8.5, Stiller predator action, Badger bottom metal, Mcmillan mod 70 stock.

Nothing wrong with a 260rem. I however went with the 6.5CM and boy does it shoot well!! I had a rem 700 varmint chambered in 260rem that shot good too so it really just depends on you. any 6.5 cartridge is better than any 308. Better ballistics's better bullets, less recoil, more speed. dont get me wrong, i know the 308 is a time proven classic, but i dont have any desire to own one. Some tactical matches require 308 only, so like i said its all up to you. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhead7416</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A question I have is that while most 260s are built on short actions that limit the OAL to a degree, would it not be good to build it on a long action and maybe block the back of the mag. well if needed to overcome feeding issues? </div></div>

I am curious about this also. Does anyone know or has anyone built a .260 on a long action sucessfully? Likes/Dislikes?

I too am in the 260 crowd, built mine about 5 years backw with a 700 SA and Krieger Palma barrel. I added a Holland brake (just because) and you can watch the hits.
Have another 6.5 project in the works, have not decided if it will be another 260 or a 6.5x47L - probably the Lapua as then I do not have to worry about keeping brass separate. Other than that, they are very similar in performance.
You will enjoy any of the 3 (260, 6.5C or 6.5L).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhead7416</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A question I have is that while most 260s are built on short actions that limit the OAL to a degree, would it not be good to build it on a long action and maybe block the back of the mag. well if needed to overcome feeding issues? </div></div>

I am curious about this also. Does anyone know or has anyone built a .260 on a long action sucessfully? Likes/Dislikes?</div></div>

My question is if anyone is going to take the time to build a 260 on a long action, why not just build a swede?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhead7416</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A question I have is that while most 260s are built on short actions that limit the OAL to a degree, would it not be good to build it on a long action and maybe block the back of the mag. well if needed to overcome feeding issues? </div></div>

I am curious about this also. Does anyone know or has anyone built a .260 on a long action sucessfully? Likes/Dislikes?</div></div>

My question is if anyone is going to take the time to build a 260 on a long action, why not just build a swede? </div></div>

Dont know anything about it?

I like the 142SMK for match work, and the 140SST can be a decent hunting bullet. Short actions work, a long one might allow seating the bullets out further and still feeding from the magazine, but SA magazine length seating doesn't give very much away. I make my brass from either Win .243 or Win 7-08 brass. H4350 and Ramshot Hunter are good powders, and the 1:8" twist and barrels at least 24" long can get the full potential of the cartridge and LR bullets. The HDY 95V-Max is an incredible varmint load, 47.0gr-49.0gr of H4250 get it into the mid 3000's. Nosler 120 BT's and HDY 129SST's are excellent medium game loads.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
While a 260 is a short action round, it really needs about 2.930" or so OAL with the 140ish gr match bullets to really shine. Running in an unmodified short action Remington 700 (2.820" OAL) the 260 w/bigger match bullets is hamstrung.
260 in a Rem 700, AICS magazines w/front strap removed to allow for OAL of 2.97+", feed ramp notched to allow longer OAL, and life will be grand.

HTH </div></div>

HTH,

Why would the standard magazine OAL be a disadvantage? I know a lot of people shooting .260 Rem with 139gr, 140gr and 142gr bullets seated to magazine length. Their chambers are spec'd to allow that OAL to get the ogive on top of the throat and they all shoot very small and reasonably fast. I know you might could squeeze a few FPS out of a slightly longer OAL but other than that, what would be the benefits of going longer?

Especially if the person posting this thread is going to shoot a lot of "varmint" type bullets, the OAL thing is pretty much toast as far as issues with seating and powder capacity due to the smaller length of those little blowy, uppy bullets.

I agree that taking .308 cases down to .260 is probably going to cause more problems than it fixes. Also watch out for your neck wall thickness to grow considerably. Check your average total neck thickness on the loaded rounds and then check the neck dimension in your particular chamber before shooting the first one or loading 8 million rounds for later.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why would the standard magazine OAL be a disadvantage? I know a lot of people shooting .260 Rem with 139gr, 140gr and 142gr bullets seated to magazine length. Their chambers are spec'd to allow that OAL to get the ogive on top of the throat and they all shoot very small and reasonably fast. I know you might could squeeze a few FPS out of a slightly longer OAL but other than that, what would be the benefits of going longer? </div></div>

So in essence you really don't gain that much by using the extra seating depth as long and your chamber is cut correctly for the intended OAL? And for the varmit bullets it's even less of a problem because they are shorter? -King

How much elevation in moa do you guys need to get to 1,000 witht the 260. Also if you could tell me what barrel length you are using to get there.
Thanks,
jack

FYI, I need 43 moa to get to 1k out of a 20" factory barrel shooting factory .308 Hornady TAP 168gr AMAX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alot of BR guys fuss about going from 308 dwn to 264. They see donuts inside the case at the bottom of the neck. They feel necking up is better.</div></div>

Actually, there's less problems with donuts when necking down. When you neck down 308, part of the 308 neck becomes 260 shoulder. So even after case stretch you're still using the old neck.

When sizing up 243, part of the 243 shoulder becomes 260 neck. The shoulder area may be thicker than neck -> instant donuts.

That said, I have no donut problems using RP and Win 243 cases for my 260. I'm using Kiff 260 Match chambering.

If you have a neck-wise tight chambering beware when using 308 brass necked down. Since the neck is forced down to smaller diameter it grows a bit of thickness.

Has anyone tried the Norma 260 brass yet? Would like to hear an opinion other than the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So in essence you really don't gain that much by using the extra seating depth as long and your chamber is cut correctly for the intended OAL? And for the varmit bullets it's even less of a problem because they are shorter? -King</div></div>

In my opinion, that is correct on both issues.

Regards,
Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much elevation in moa do you guys need to get to 1,000 witht the 260. Also if you could tell me what barrel length you are using to get there.
Thanks,
jack

FYI, I need 43 moa to get to 1k out of a 20" factory barrel shooting factory .308 Hornady TAP 168gr AMAX. </div></div>

26" 1-8 Bartlien, 130 Berger VLDs, 43.5 H4350, CCIBR2's, Nosler Brass, 2,880 fps, 25.25moa to 1k COAL is 2.930" in a modified AI magazine, +.005" in the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhead7416</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A question I have is that while most 260s are built on short actions that limit the OAL to a degree, would it not be good to build it on a long action and maybe block the back of the mag. well if needed to overcome feeding issues? </div></div>

I am curious about this also. Does anyone know or has anyone built a .260 on a long action sucessfully? Likes/Dislikes? </div></div>

I built one on a Mauser just to see if it would still shoot.... it does. It isnt as tight as it would be on a modern action, but it is still right under 3/4 moa with a walnut stock.... I load mine out to 2.970" and they slide right in the chamber out of the internal mag. I run the 140 AMAX with H4350 powder like everybody else.... I love it.

Dave