• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 Remington Build question

Creeping Death

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
I'm working on my 2nd precision build, a 260 Remington on a new 700 short action. McGowan barrel, timney trigger, Mcree Precision chassis etc.

On my first build I ordered a blank barrel and had my gunsmith do all clambering, fluting, threading etc. This time I'm having McGowan chamber, flute, and thread my barrel. Is there drawback of having your barrel maker do this vs your gunsmith?

Sorry if this has been addressed before.

I'd be concerned with the amount of freebore used in there reamer. Is it cut for 123's or 140's? But the flip side of it is, if it's short, you can always have a local smith throat it longer to your / his likings ... or mag length.

Well your smith might use a different reamer based upon the brass/load/projectile you intend to use while your barrel maker will use a less specific reamer so that your chamber will be compatible with a wider range of offerings. My guess is you are going to do the build yourself and head space it? If so it sounds like a "good" plan for your own build, verses attempting to cut the chamber yourself.