• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.260 Remington

Re: .260 Remington

bchibbs there are a lot of threads already on here with plenty of advice and opinions about 260 loads and brass prep. Do a little research bro and you will get quite a few opinions.

neck down from 7mm-08 or just buy remington 260 brass, I've seen it several places recently and just bought a box of 100 from midway a month ago.

Lapua should be out with their version soon, Alot of guys are itching for that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bchibbs there are a lot of threads already on here with plenty of advice and opinions about 260 loads and brass prep. Do a little research bro and you will get quite a few opinions. </div></div>

At least give the poor guy a link to a decent search resource. The standard search function on this site is poor.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978%3Aqcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

FWIW, I just made .260 brass from 350 pcs. of 7-08 Win. brass. It was no different that running any new brass through a die to make the necks round. Very straight forward.

John

Sorry John, I'm a retard when it comes to attaching links, I wasn't at all trying to be short with the OP, apologies to OP if taken so, just mentioning there were numerous threads addressing his question.

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry John, I'm a retard when it comes to attaching links, I wasn't at all trying to be short with the OP, apologies to OP if taken so, just mentioning there were numerous threads addressing his question.

Cheers! </div></div>

No problem there! I forgot to put a smiley in my post somewhere so you didn't think *I* was one the the SH hardasses.
wink.gif

John

I've made 60 pieces from .243 brass.
I lubed the case and the inside of the neck with some Imperial on a Q tip, ran then through a Forster .260 FL die, and trimmed them back the extra .010 on the case length.
That's about as easy as it gets.

I have read that the hierarchy for 260 brass is:

1) Neck down 7mm-08
2) 260 brass
3) neck up 243 brass and live with the donut
4) neck down 308 and neck turn or cull the ones with thick necks.

I have only tried the last 3 choices, and my experiences are consistent with internet folklore.

I have been necking down the 7mm-08 because I thought it would be closest brass, and wouldn't have a donut to deal with. I did learn to remove the expander ball prior to trying to size down the cases after I crushed one.. Now it works fine, and gives me a little thicker case neck to fit the chamber of my rifle just perfect.

I get the carbon ring only about one eighth of an inch down the case neck, it is very even, very light in carbon, and looks just perfect. I'm using Winchester brass because the 260 brass was simply too hard to find. Until the Lapua comes out, I am good on brass now.

I find that necking down Win 7-08 to be easy and cost effective, and IMHO Rem brass sucks but shoots just as good but only lasts around 5-7 reloads and the primer pockets let go, I did neck up some Lapua .243 brass and got donuts immediately, I would not even consider nor recommend necking down 308, Lapua 260 is coming next month but at 92 cents each it cost too much, so my recommendation is use Rem 260 or Win 7-08

bchibbs,

Buy 100 Remington, and 100 Lapua .260 brass. Use the same load and see how many firings you get of each. When the remington brass is done after five loadings, and after 12 the lapua is still functional, you will be able to make a decision as to which is easier, better, and more economical.
My opinion,
Miles

I full length resize Winchester 7mm08 brass with my .260 die.

One pull of the handle and 7mm08 becomes great .260 brass....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bchibbs,

Buy 100 Remington, and 100 Lapua .260 brass. Use the same load and see how many firings you get of each. When the remington brass is done after five loadings, and after 12 the lapua is still functional, you will be able to make a decision as to which is easier, better, and more economical.
My opinion,
Miles </div></div>

...and if the brass life of my Win. 300WM brass is any indicator, at half the cost of Lapua, if you added 100 7-08 Win. cases to that mix, you might find the real value.

John

The number of firings before loose primer pockets is not only a function of brass brands, but a function of pressure.

If you can reload where you fire, then fire the same case over and over until the primer pocket is loose. Note the number of firing for that load. Try it again with a couple more grains and with a couple less grains. I think you will find loose primer pockets in one firing somewhere around 72kpsi in Quickload. I am guessing you will be still tight, by the time the necks crack, somewhere in the 60s.

I have had some trouble with the 7-08 having a thick / tight neck. Didn't realize there was a pressure issue until the primers fell out on the third loading.

You need to use the expander ball when necking down and change bushing size

The 260 SAAMI drawing tolerances for the chamber neck are:
a) .299 - .301" at the rear of the neck
b) .298 - .300" at the front of the neck

As best I can measure with pin gauges, my 260 [long chambered at Douglas] is:
a) .299" at the rear of the neck
b) .298" at the front of the neck

Necking down LC or WIN 308 brass in 260 sizer die and then seating a 140 gr at 2.925", there is some lands engagement.
The loaded neck measures .297" with the LC97 brass.

There should be .001" clearance in my chamber, right?

I can get away with it, too, 90% of the time.

That one time in 10 that the bullet gets pinched, I am lucky if the extra pressure just wrecks the brass, and does not jam the gun. If I have to hit the bolt handle with a stick to get it open, others will notice at the range. Unsafe ammo is against the rules.

Anyone using Nosler 260 brass and what king of life have you got out of it? I have some but only a few reloads on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredjake1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using Nosler 260 brass and what king of life have you got out of it? I have some but only a few reloads on it. </div></div>

I've got one lot of 100 pieces that I've loaded and shot seven times now. A fairly stiff load of H4350 and 139gr scenars, or 140gr VLD's(2850fps)They've been trimmed twice and the shoulders bumped once. I started with F210M's and switched to Wolf LRM's after about 4 firings. They are a little larger diameter than Federal's allowing a few more firings on primer pockets that are starting to grow.