• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.260 Small Base Die for 6.5 Creedmoor?

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Hello all, quick question...I'm certain I know the answer already but figured I'd ask to be sure.

Would it be possible to use a .260 (or even a .308) small base die for 6.5 Creedmoor cases?

I bought a .260 SBD when I got my JP LRP-07, because a smart fella I know told me it would be a good thing to have. Fortunately, I have not needed...for that .260 at least.

I recently obtained a rifle in 6.5CM, and it is definitely going to need an SBD. Thank you in advance for the response.

260 has more taper and is narrower at the shoulder.

I don’t think 308 is going to work either. Try this one:

I’d be careful with that one.
I got the .473/308 bushing and instead of sizing the base to .268-.270 or so it’s taking it down to .262. At least that’s what it measures at as far down as I could get it through. Never got a piece all the way through. And there aren’t plans for new correctly sized bushings. And I believe it’s reubenski that had the same problem.

PVA isn’t even making them anymore. That must be old stock you have linked.
It’s a shame really. It would be the best tool in the world with a correct dimension bushing.

Last edited:
Well, this was exactly what I was thinking...for some reason, I had some hope that the longer length of the .260 and .308 would allow the CM to sneak in, not touch the shoulder, and get out.

I may just be stupid and tempted enough to try it. LOL!!

I’d be careful with that one.
I got the .473/308 bushing and instead of sizing the base to .268-.270 or so it’s taking it down to .262. At least that’s what it measures at as far down as I could get it through. Never got a piece all the way through. And there aren’t plans for new correctly sized bushings. And I believe it’s reubenski that had the same problem.

PVA isn’t even making them anymore. That must be old stock you have linked.
It’s a shame really. It would be the best tool in the world with a correct dimension bushing.

In reading the problem thread it appeared that some people had the correct bushing. Maybe the OP could ask the merchant to measure the ID of the bushing prior to purchase.

Reactions: spife7980
In reading the problem thread it appeared that some people had the correct bushing. Maybe the OP could ask the merchant to measure the ID of the bushing prior to purchase.
I certainly would before purchase.
It’s been my one disappointment with a pva product.

Well, this was exactly what I was thinking...for some reason, I had some hope that the longer length of the .260 and .308 would allow the CM to sneak in, not touch the shoulder, and get out.

I may just be stupid and tempted enough to try it. LOL!!
For what it's worth, I use a small base 308 die on the Alpha 6.5 brass I use for my Desert Tech. When I'm resizing, I run the bread through the SB die first, then through my 6.5 FL die

I took a Redding 260 small base body die and ran a piece of Peterson 6.5 Creed brass in there. It just barely kissed the shoulder body junction. taking it down 3-4 thou

Well, @bigjake83 and I ended up giving this idea a shot...it worked, but had another unintended consequence.

The .308 SBD hit the body of the case and shrunk it well. However, the shoulder got moved forward by .006”.

Suffice to say, I ordered what appeared to be the absolute last 6.5CM SBD on the planet from Amazon earlier today.

Well, @bigjake83 and I ended up giving this idea a shot...it worked, but had another unintended consequence.

The .308 SBD hit the body of the case and shrunk it well. However, the shoulder got moved forward by .006”.

Suffice to say, I ordered what appeared to be the absolute last 6.5CM SBD on the planet from Amazon earlier today.

I did the exact same thing, 6.5 creed case in 308 SB die and it fixed the base, I then had to run it in a normal 6.5 creed die to put the shoulder back.

Guess what I own now.