• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 Subsonic Load data

AfricanJerry

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2009
I couldn't find any load data for 260 subsonic. I ended up with something today that I thought I would share. I would like for others to share their loads here also.

My rifle was a 22 Bartline with a t twist. Ending at 1-8. AAC Cyclone 30cal suppressor.

I shot 160 Hornady RN with 10grns AA1680. They were 1050 fps but wouldn't hit the target perfectly straight so I never shot them through the silencer. Scared of a baffle strike.

My 140 grn subsonic load is 10.1 grn AA1680 with a Fed 215 primer and a 140 Nosler BTHP. It runs about 1050fps. Shoots great at 50 yards.

Im playing with a 95 grn Hornady V max. 7.2 grns AA1680 Fed 215. Will clock around 1050fps. This load might open up on things. Im sure penetration wouldn't be the greatest though.

Im going do some terminal testing with apples or something to see how things perform.

Re: 260 Subsonic Load data

Good call on the tumblers and can. I don't run a 260 yet (I have a savage begging to be re barreled though lol, but I do shoot a lot of 308 subs.

24 inch barrel, 10 twist

180 Sierra RN
10.3-10.5 grains Trail boss stays just under supersonic for me unless the temperature is way off.

I havent tried anything heavier, but the 150 grain "30 30" bullets work well too.

REALLY like the trailboss. I get really good case fill with it. It might be a worth a look if you havent tried it.

Never done .260 subs either, but it sure seems like 1/8 Twist would stabilize a 160. Same thing happened to me in .308 when I tried to use the heavies with a 1/11.25 twist, just wouldnt stabilize them.

260 is a long range boolit

anything in a subsonic .308 will only get you to a reported 300yd with questionable accurracy (hand rolled)

so....me thinks a 6.5 projo going slow courts disaster when shot thru a can.....

i personally would not tempt fate

I've done 6mm Crudader subsonic loads with Trailboss and 100 gr. bullets. Data in the 6mm Crusader thread.

Well I've got a .260 with a can so am open to the idea of .260 subsonic loads. However I can't help but to agree with Bolt above - 6.5 bullets tend to be long and slippery and I'd have thought that would lead to instability and potential baffle strikes.

I've tried the .308 / trailboss combo with pretty good success at the range however due to UK law this particular rifle is licenced for range use only - not hunting or overland. My .260 however is!

Hornady 160gr RN's work great subsonic from my 260 and 6.5 CM

Jagged77 and Boltripper's fears are unfounded.

The physics of the equation dictate otherwise.

Bohem, what twist are you running and also what's your load? My barrel is a 1:8.5 which I'd have thought might struggle with anything over 140gr?

My 260 was an 8.5tw and it worked fine out to 400yd on 2MOA targets. The 160RN is substantially shorter than the 140 Amax is.

My 6.5 CM is an 8tw and it shoots my 180gr cast as well as 160RN and 142 SMK and 140 Amax just fine.

If you run into stability issues for a bullet like a match bullet 140gr type, turn it backwards and shoot it boat tail first. This is because of how the pressure profile over the bullet surface behaves compared to supersonic flight.

I developed the load an worked with a custom ammo maker, as such I don't give either of them out. Start with 308 subsonic data and aim "fast" and work down.

just got some test video running 160gr RN with 10.5gr trail boss in a 26" 1n8 at 100y, crono said 960fps avg.... also had 2 water jugs and 3" of paper to do a ballistic test...

but i only saved 1 bullet for that, and my luck, it nerfed out at 680fps and hit grass at 60y
frown.gif

they are Hollywood quite/..

next test will be 11gr

video up in a few

http://youtu.be/9k8M82rGgc0?hd=1

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9k8M82rGgc0?hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9k8M82rGgc0?hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Ring, after watching that video and seeing you fire that one round at Rayners,it makes waiting for my can to play with some sub sonics in my. 260 that much harder!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried 9.5gr Trailboss and 142gr SMK's. 8/10 sableized. I may try inverting the bullet.</div></div>

just get the 160 RN...

i just loaded some at 11gr to chk fps

i am gonna try that trailboss in my 260 this weekend, I have high hopes for really quit load.